Outdoors
Sponsored by

Top 25 New BBQ Joints

14,500 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAGFAN said:

Top 25 seems like a huge number. How many notable new BBQ restaurants can there be in a year. Top 5 would be more meaningful.
Then stop reading after #5?
jja79
AG
cplstansfield said:

1775 is fantastic. Y'all idiots need to stay away so I don't have to wait in line.
I don't think that will happen. BCS loves going to the same places. C&J and J. Cody will keep packing them in. People moan about how far it is from Fitch to University so I doubt many people will drive 5 extra minutes for good BBQ.
Doug Glatt
AG
#18 is ran by an Aggie as well
maverick2076
Jefe07 said:

maverick2076 said:

Jefe07 said:

Harlem Road is good. We lack for good bbq down in that area. I've only been once, but I was not surprised to see it on this list.

The Witt Pit in Rosenberg is great, and the sausage at Galvan's in Richmond is excellent.
You're right. I should revise. We lack for snooty list-worthy bbq in that area. Galvan's "worker's special" is my jam for a cheap chopped beef sandwich. But I thought I would be barbecued (hey-oh!) for saying that on this thread.

I really like Witt Pit for everything except their sausage. Tasted like generic store bought stuff. And I'm not a sausage snob.

Witt Pit's sausage is definitely their weak point.

Galvan's sausage may be my all time favorite. I love the coarse grind texture. Their pork ribs are really good too, and my wife loves their greens.
rootube
AG
Free business idea. One of the 10,000 BBQ joints in a 10 mile radius of Austin can move to the border and rule Border-BBQ with an iron fist.
DuckDown2013
AG
Meh. I can't say that this list is inaccurate, BUT I can say that it's really hard to rank the top 25 bbq restaurants in tx-maybe impossible, even.
I think bbq restaurants in tx should be ranked based on one animal and one animal only- the cow. I'm talking brisket, beef ribs, and chopped brisket sandwiches only. Sides are great and all, but any bbq place I go to is for the brisket.

Went to 4 T's in Forney today and the brisket was fantastic.
TheEyeGuy
AG
Jefe07 said:

Harlem Road is good. We lack for good bbq down in that area. I've only been once, but I was not surprised to see it on this list.
I... was very underwhelmed....
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TXAG 05
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Jefe07 said:

I... was very underwhelmed....

Strangely it's on this list, even with TMs ringing endorsement of "the brisket isn't half bad". If you can't get brisket right, I don't trust you to do anything else.
DallasAggies01
AG
Understand your point but I feel a BBQ joint should be judged based on well they do the Trinity over all.

Agree that sides should not be in the equation at all.
TXAG 05
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

Understand your point but I feel a BBQ joint should be judged based on well they do the Trinity over all.

Agreed. Basing the quality of a bbq place on a chopped beef sandwich is like judging a Mexican restaurant based on their margarita.

They definitely based this list more off of the unique things hear places instead of the Trinity quality. I think that is the trend of bbq places now, at least for the non elites. When all their brisket and ribs are about the same, they need something to differentiate themselves.
wadd96
AG
Basing on brisket only? That's like judging a Tex-Mex place on their beef fajitas only.

And if someone only goes to a BBQ joint for brisket, they are sorely missing out on tons of other great staples of Texas BBQ. Do you imagine the Germans and Czechs that really created the Central Texas style said, "Hey, I know we make a lot of sausage in our cultures, but let's not cook it for a BBQ place." Or any other of the myriad influencers of Texas BBQ that brought pork spare ribs to the pit?

That mind set is awfully short sighted!
BlueSmoke
Quote:

Yep! Sticky Ribz isn't all that bad either!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
IronRed13
AG
DallasAggies01 said:

Tried Feges after reading this list. Article praised the sides but other than the cracklins, everyone with me was underwhelmed by the sides. Brisket was tender and juicy, but I could've used more flavor either smoke or spice. Ribs were also perfectly cooked, but again needed a bit more something to stand out. Good place overall and great for those that work in Greenway plaza, but not a destination yet.
agfan2013
AG
I agree with the thought that it's pretty hard to definitively rank bbq joints, especially in Texas, but mostly because bbq itself is so variable. There can be good, great, and average slices from the same brisket. A place can have an off day or two when you eat there, but be top notch every other day.

It's difficult, but all the conversations and debates are still fun to have. If y'all are truly interested in it, I'd recommend going to the food and spirits board where we have a really long thread on the Tx monthly top 50 list from two years ago, have over a thousand replies on it.

Lastly, even though beef is king in Texas and brisket quality is going to be more heavily weighted when considering a place, using only beef offerings to review a place is flawed IMO. You need to take in to consideration all meats like pork ribs, pulled pork, turkey, etc. sides shouldn't matter but are always a nice bonus if the place does something special. The "Texas trinity" is literally brisket, pork ribs, and sausage.
CactusThomas
AG
Moist brisket, lean brisket, beer.

Trinity.
C Loves L
wadd96 said:

Basing on brisket only? That's like judging a Tex-Mex place on their beef fajitas only.

And if someone only goes to a BBQ joint for brisket, they are sorely missing out on tons of other great staples of Texas BBQ. Do you imagine the Germans and Czechs that really created the Central Texas style said, "Hey, I know we make a lot of sausage in our cultures, but let's not cook it for a BBQ place." Or any other of the myriad influencers of Texas BBQ that brought pork spare ribs to the pit?

That mind set is awfully short sighted!
Brisket is to BBQ
Enchiladas, salsa, rice and beans is to Mexican food

In Texas that is
wadd96
AG
Wait... so we should judge a Tex-Mex place on its sides (rice, beans, etc...) but only judge a BBQ place on it's brisket?

BTW, my key factor in judging Tex-Mex is their cheese enchilada, but I also look at the totality of the meal as the final determining criteria. I also look at other non-enchilada items such as carne guisada and chile rellenos.
TXAG 05
AG
wadd96 said:

Wait... so we should judge a Tex-Mex place on its sides (rice, beans, etc...) but only judge a BBQ place on it's brisket?

BTW, my key factor in judging Tex-Mex is their cheese enchilada, but I also look at the totality of the meal as the final determining criteria. I also look at other non-enchilada items such as carne guisada and chile rellenos.

Beef enchiladas are the way to go man, get some protein
wadd96
AG
Beans and cheese both have protein.
TXAG 05
AG
Just had lunch at Blood Bros. Very solid.
OregonAggie
AG
We t to Brothertons today and was disappointed. Ordered ribs, jalapeo sausage, and moist brisket. Also creamed corn and green chili Mac. The sides were the best of the bunch.

Brisket was tender but lacked flavor on the bark and also seemed like it was half assed smoked. Jalepeno sausage lacked enough cheese and I'm also more of a course grind fan. Ribs were cooked perfectly. They had a good bite and were very tender.

I'm not in this area very often so I'm not sure if I'll be back. No way this place makes the full blown top 50 list as it doesn't stack up well at all IMO.
Aggieangler93
AG
Van Buren Boy said:

Number 10 is owned by an Aggie that posts on Texags.
I need to get by there. I am always up for Willco Que!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
JSKolache
AG
NoahAg said:

Jefe07 said:

I live just a few minutes away but have never been. I never see anyone in the parking lot. Guess we'll have to try it.
Tried once about half before close and place was already locked up. Ive heard good things about it.
malenurse
AG
JSKolache said:

NoahAg said:

Jefe07 said:

I live just a few minutes away but have never been. I never see anyone in the parking lot. Guess we'll have to try it.
Tried once about half before close and place was already locked up. Ive heard good things about it.
Harlem was never more than mediocre. Witt Pitt in Rosenberg is as good as you're going to get in west Fort Bend County.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
TexasAggie_02
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Meh. I can't say that this list is inaccurate, BUT I can say that it's really hard to rank the top 25 bbq restaurants in tx-maybe impossible, even.
I think bbq restaurants in tx should be ranked based on one animal and one animal only- the cow. I'm talking brisket, beef ribs, and chopped brisket sandwiches only. Sides are great and all, but any bbq place I go to is for the brisket.

it's the bet "new" joints
Martin Cash
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I offer to sacrifice myself and give #16 a try.
Wonder if the Phillips twins have any input on this?
CanyonAg77
AG
Martin Cash said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I offer to sacrifice myself and give #16 a try.
Wonder if the Phillips twins have any input on this?

Pat is in South Dakota, Mike is in Uvalde, and last I heard, Glenda was in China.

So I'd say no.

Do I know you?
EFE
AG
Smoking Moon is solid, but they don't do anything special. And last time I was there they were way out spec on pricing. There are local joints that are on par and aren't charging near the mark up.
Aginlove12
DallasAggies01 said:

Switch is Aggie owned also. Same guy that owns Stiles Switch in Austin off Lamar.

How is it? We frequent the Hat Creek and Pious Pizza. I never see too many folks at the Switch.
saltydog13
AG
jja79 said:

cplstansfield said:

1775 is fantastic. Y'all idiots need to stay away so I don't have to wait in line.
I don't think that will happen. BCS loves going to the same places. C&J and J. Cody will keep packing them in. People moan about how far it is from Fitch to University so I doubt many people will drive 5 extra minutes for good BBQ.

There's always an insane amount of people for the 3 days he's open. Went once and all that was left was either sausage or turkey. Opted for 2 sausage sandwiches, 2 sides, and 2 cokes. Was it good? Yes. Was it worth the $25? Nope. I know bbq isn't cheap, but that's a little excessive for just your basic lunch combo with only sausage and not even brisket.
TXAG 05
AG
$25 for 2 people sounds pretty cheap to me. I spent that much on myself for lunch yesterday at Blood Bros.
DallasAggies01
AG
Aginlove12 said:

DallasAggies01 said:

Switch is Aggie owned also. Same guy that owns Stiles Switch in Austin off Lamar.

How is it? We frequent the Hat Creek and Pious Pizza. I never see too many folks at the Switch.

I haven't eaten at Switch I know the owner from college. Stiles Switch is damn good. I heard they were having some growing pains with the switch having to do sit down style menu service because that's what the people in the area are used to. Also I think there is a bit of Cajun spin on it.
saltydog13
AG
For just sausage sandwiches, 1 side, and a 12oz coke can as the drink? I guess I don't eat bbq enough anymore to know current pricing
ChampsAg
1775 sides are pretty large. And damn good!

Tomorrow is banana split cake. Stay away!
TXAG 05
AG
saltydog13 said:

For just sausage sandwiches, 1 side, and a 12oz coke can as the drink? I guess I don't eat bbq enough anymore to know current pricing

Assuming the each side and drink were $3 each, that would mean each sandwich was $6.50 each which is pretty cheap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.