Outdoors
Sponsored by

Top 25 New BBQ Joints

14,506 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been to 1775 several times on Fridays and Saturdays each. Each time between 11:30 and 12:15. Never had any more than 4 people in front of me and (more than once I basically walked up and ordered) and the only thing that was close to running out was corn casserole once and I got the last pork steak once.
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
Moist brisket, wet brisket, fatty brisket.

Trinity.
Martin Cash
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Martin Cash said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I offer to sacrifice myself and give #16 a try.
Wonder if the Phillips twins have any input on this?

Pat is in South Dakota, Mike is in Uvalde, and last I heard, Glenda was in China.

So I'd say no.

Do I know you?
MB '75
Oyster DuPree
AG
Lest we forget, none of this compares to the Brooklyn BBQ that is currently taking over the world
gonemaroon
AG
https://houston.eater.com/2013/3/8/6469969/patrick-feges-cheated-death-now-try-his-barbecue

Article on Feges from 5-6 years ago. Solid guy, solid food. I'm one of his investors, so you could say I'm partial.

To me, a lot of this BBQ is all tasting the same now. I stopped at Lulling the other day, and was shocked at how bad their brisket was - so anyhow, the new stuff is seemingly all upper end.
rootube
AG
Oyster DuPree said:

Lest we forget, none of this compares to the Brooklyn BBQ that is currently taking over the world

Brooklyn BBQ internet review.

My beer was very dark and it was served in a Jelly Jar! A 12 oz can is the minimum acceptable beer serving size and a pint glass is preferable. If there were an iced tea on that tray it would almost certainly be instant tea and probably served in a coffee mug or some other inappropriate vessel. The existence of instant tea is frankly how you know yankees have no taste or culture.

Pickles are acceptable but there is no evidence of of potato salad, onions or slaw.

BBQ has the color and texture of Bruce Willis's face when he realizes he actually dead in the movie The Sixth Sense.
jja79
AG
I must be lucky. I've been 3 of the last 7 Saturdays , arriving between 1130 and 1230 and always just walk up to the window. No line, no wait.
schmellba99
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Meh. I can't say that this list is inaccurate, BUT I can say that it's really hard to rank the top 25 bbq restaurants in tx-maybe impossible, even.
I think bbq restaurants in tx should be ranked based on one animal and one animal only- the cow. I'm talking brisket, beef ribs, and chopped brisket sandwiches only. Sides are great and all, but any bbq place I go to is for the brisket.

Went to 4 T's in Forney today and the brisket was fantastic.

There is a lot more to BBQ than just beef. Barbeque is a style, not a friggin meat.
OregonAggie
AG
schmellba99 said:

DuckDown2013 said:

Meh. I can't say that this list is inaccurate, BUT I can say that it's really hard to rank the top 25 bbq restaurants in tx-maybe impossible, even.
I think bbq restaurants in tx should be ranked based on one animal and one animal only- the cow. I'm talking brisket, beef ribs, and chopped brisket sandwiches only. Sides are great and all, but any bbq place I go to is for the brisket.

Went to 4 T's in Forney today and the brisket was fantastic.

There is a lot more to BBQ than just beef. Barbeque is a style, not a friggin meat.

I fully agree with this. I'm not a turkey guy but I always order the smoked turkey from Terry Blacks in Austin. Some of the best I've ever had and it, in addition to consistently really good brisket, makes me rank them quite high. The sausage specials that Tejas in Tomball run can be amazing and I think that should be factored in when judging. Brisket is king and the most important to me but I also factor in the others.

I went to Black Box in Georgetown yesterday and was really pleased with the food. A lot of that had to do with his pulled pork. It was phenomenal. The brisket I had was damn good too.

One thing I don't factor in is sides. I only go on the meats but I also don't order sides often.
schmellba99
AG
Meat is most important, but negating sides is wrong IMO. Sides are as much a part if the meal as anything, and can make a good meal great or a great meal good.
wadd96
AG
FYI.. Brett is throwing a Celebration Brunch tomorrow. Beer an Mimosas. Big Red Pork Belly Burnt Ends and Barbacoa Tacos.

We'll be there around 1030 if anyone is interested.
TXAG 05
AG
I rarely, if ever, get sides. I go for the meat, don't want to waste time on beans, potato salad, and Mac and cheese that you can get anywhere.
PFG
AG
Wait.

Are some still arguing that this is THE Top 25 list?

This is 25 new spots to try. Listed in alphabetical order. No rank.

TX Monthly will release a new Top 25 in spring 2020. And if I recall from their last official "Top BBQ" list, one of their requirements for rank in the Top 10 was being open at least 3, maybe 5 years. In order to prove consistency over time. I'd have to go back and look that up.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
Corps_Ag12
AG
Need to give Panther City BBQ in Fort Worth a try myself.

Panther City used to just cater and now has a food trailer that was previously occupied by Hiem BBQ. Hiem got an investor to help them open a storefront in Fort Worth in Magnolia a couple years ago. Sounds like Panther City is trying to get the same deal.

Another up & coming BBQ place in ft worth is Joe Risckys BBQ (of the Riscky's BBQ family chain). Him & his dad (owner of Riscky's BBQ) got into it and he left to start his own place. He is doing well on the weekends with being next to Wild Acre Brewery.
OregonAggie
AG
schmellba99 said:

Meat is most important, but negating sides is wrong IMO. Sides are as much a part if the meal as anything, and can make a good meal great or a great meal good.

I'm not going to argue that. It's all about the total food experience but I personally just want the meat and don't like wasting stomach space with tater salad and Mac and cheese hahaha. It's a personal choice because I try not to eat a ton of carbs since I'm damn near addicted to them.

If I were going to write articles about restaurants, including BBQ places, I would factor it all in. I would probably still go 80% meat and 20% sides in rating places.
OregonAggie
AG
I think there's a few people that didn't realize it was a Top 25 "New" places but most seem to have gotten it.
dr_boogs
AG
Saw them pouring foundation this week for some joint called Cooper's on the bypass in B/CS down in South CS where Texas dumps into 6. Is this place going to be another ho-hum chain? Anybody have any reviews?
AgEng06
AG
There are a few "Cooper's", most famously the one in Llano. There are also ones in Austin and New Braunfels.
wadd96
AG
It's the same Coopers as the ones in Ft Worth and New Braunfels. An offshoot of the original in Llano.
TheOC16
AG
I ate at the one in the Stockyards two weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised. The two items I had (brisket and a beef rib, just wanted a little snack and the free parking you get there...) were very good. Not amazing, but it would be (imo) the second best option in town behind 1775 and more accessible and probably affordable than 1775.
rootube
AG
OregonAggie said:

schmellba99 said:

I'm not going to argue that. It's all about the total food experience but I personally just want the meat and don't like wasting stomach space with tater salad and Mac and cheese hahaha. It's a personal choice because I try not to eat a ton of carbs since I'm damn near addicted to them.

If I were going to write articles about restaurants, including BBQ places, I would factor it all in. I would probably still go 80% meat and 20% sides in rating places.
Tyson Cole and Aaron Franklin sound like a winning team at Loro. Hopefully the food is good and we can expand traditional BBQ offerings beyond wonder bread and the normal sides we all grew up on. It's not that they are bad, it's just that they could use some new ideas and those guys are kind of a Texas culinary dream team.
76Ag
AG
They are building a Coopers in the culinary dessert that is Katy, Texas. I call it "Hooterville". We are hoping that Coopers will be passable. If there is decent place out here it will be packed so that you will not want to try it unless it's an off time.
jja79
AG
Have you been to C&C on Smetena Road in Bryan? Only open saturday and sunday and they're still working out some kinks but it and 1775 are the only BBQ places I can imagine going to in BCS. The rest are average on their best days in my opinion.
TheOC16
AG
jja79 said:

Have you been to C&C on Smetena Road in Bryan? Only open saturday and sunday and they're still working out some kinks but it and 1775 are the only BBQ places I can imagine going to in BCS. The rest are average on their best days in my opinion.
No I have not, but I expect that my answer will be different this time next week.

Thanks for the heads up!
OregonAggie
AG
My wife and I have really been wanting to check them out but haven't made it yet. Gotta check that off the list soon.

I suspect the BBQ argument will rage forever regarding what you're talking about. Many of us think BBQ is some crotchety old man smoking meat all night on an old pit and the meat being celebrated with great sides as a bonus ...because that's what we grew up with.

The 2013 TMBBQ list was 100% focused on brisket while the 2017 put an emphasis on all meats. I'm sure sides will be factored in for the 2021 list. There are some sides that I will always order when I visit certain places: carrot souffl at Tejas, habanero Mac at Lockhart smokehouse, the corn at Valentina's. I still don't know that sides will ever move my personal needle but great sides would add to the experience.
wadd96
AG
I don't think you are going to find Cooper's to be any less costly than Brad at 1775. If anything, may $1/lb on brisket if prices hold to NB and FW.
TXAG 05
AG
If Kruez couldn't make it in BCS, I don't see how Coopers will do any better.
Boo Weekley
Feges BBQ in the Shoppes food court at Greenway Plaza? Really??? I pass it several times a week and always just assumed it sucked bc there's hardly ever a line and it's an office building food court vendor. Surely they can't cook with pits right?
TXAG 05
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Feges BBQ in the Shoppes food court at Greenway Plaza? Really??? I pass it several times a week and always just assumed it sucked bc there's hardly ever a line and it's an office building food court vendor. Surely they can't cook with pits right?

I went by there not long after they opened. It was pretty damn good, especially for basically being food court bbq
Mathguy64
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

If Kruez couldn't make it in BCS, I don't see how Coopers will do any better.

It's got three things going for it.
1. They will have forks day 1.
2. They will have sauce day 1.
3. They are in CS.

Their prices will be more $/lb than kreuz and their location is actually going to be harder to get to but #1, 2 and most importantly #3 are in their favor. If they don't charge for water they will be golden.
Boo Weekley
Cstrickland05 said:

Boo Weekley said:

I went by there not long after they opened. It was pretty damn good, especially for basically being food court bbq

Interesting. I'll just settle for "solid" as a food court lunch option. Will be checking it out this Friday.

To be fair, I usually eat lunch pretty late so maybe that's why it doesn't seem super busy.
DoubleE65
AG
For those talking about bbq in BCS, All the King's Men in downtown Bryan is very good. I believe their candied pork belly burnt ends were mentioned as a best bite in TM. Great place to have a whiskey drink too, above average selection.

I had Guess in Waco again last week and it was phenomenal per usual.
GSS
Wife and I enjoyed C&C's brisket; it was good, not great, IMO, due to I suspect it spent too much time in foil (based on the bark and flavor). Nice people, great portions.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
jja79
AG
As I mentioned I think they still have some kinks to work out but there is potential.
DoubleE65
AG
Another thing to factor in which some people forget about is quality of meat prior to smoking. A perfectly cooked select or choice brisket only gets you so far. As long as you don't over do a prime brisket w too much seasoning or wrong technique it'll be fantastic. (and more pricey).

Places like C&J's in BCS are as good as they can be w the quality of meat they use but they'll never be upper echelon bbq.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.