Outdoors
Sponsored by

Top 25 New BBQ Joints

14,497 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OregonAggie
wadd96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's really not that hard to call Ruffino's and order Prime brisket... lots of those on the Top 25 New Joints do just that...

But it's the attitude of the "old BCS residents" that think every BBQ plate should be the $10 that the old Aggie Special at Tom's cost should be carried on today. (Never mind that I was buying select brisket for $0.59/lb back in those days and it's at best $1.96/lb today...)

And if you want to look for an example, look at TheOC16 that sad Cooper's would be "more accessible and probably affordable than 1775..." even though Cooper's never uses Prime cuts ($1.96/lb v $2.99/lb (at best) on the open market...)
DoubleE65
AG
Agree. And it's a night and day difference. Then there's always the crowd complaining about prices but don't realize the costs associated w that quality meat.
wadd96
AG
Added more commentary...

P.S. I was cooking Costco Prime this weekend at my local cook-off...
TheOC16
AG
Snow's uses Select. Personally I've never understood the obsession with Snow's (and I've given it PLENTY of tries having lived in Lexington).

You can get a really good brisket out of Select or Choice (there can be such a range of quality within each grade), but obviously your odds are much better with a higher ceiling and lower floor if you go Prime.
TexasAggie_02
AG
On Saturdays, 1775 has a huge effing pork steak with two very generous servings of sides for $12
TheOC16
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

On Saturdays, 1775 has a huge effing pork steak with two very generous servings of sides for $12

Never tried the pork steak.

That's one of the things about 1775 - their sides are huge.

A couple people responded to my comment about 1775 being expensive in relation to Cooper's coming to town (which I don't even know if it's true or not). I'm not saying it's not a good value; they do give you those huge very tasty sides and cook prime brisket. It's a good value - I just don't like dropping $15 on lunch (since I eat out almost every day).

I don't mind spending that kind of money (and a lot more) on BBQ if it's for the experience. But I've already had the 1775 experience several times, and sure I will again. Just not part of my average lunch routine. Plus the main part of my comparison with Cooper's was the accessibility. Most people don't want to drive out to the river just for lunch. That would be a benefit Cooper's will have. Though as someone mentioned, if Kreuz' didn't make it here, I don't see how Cooper's will.
TXAG 05
AG
Coopers doesn't sell a chopped beef sandwich, drink and a side for $5 which is what the BCS townies want.

Just wait for the thread on the BCS board when it opens. I'm sure everyone will love the free beans, but will complain about the prices.
DoubleE65
AG
Just tried to go back to 1775, walked up to about 15 people in line and stood there for 20 minutes without moving and left. They've got to do something different and improve their efficiency. It's always sooo slowww.

ETA: ended up back in downtown Bryan at All the King's Men and had some great brisket and jalapeo cheddar sausage. Even felt inclined to have a glass of Blantons, they have over 100 bourbon/whiskey selections with some nice higher end stuff. Cool place.
Boo Weekley
Cstrickland05 said:

Boo Weekley said:

Feges BBQ in the Shoppes food court at Greenway Plaza? Really??? I pass it several times a week and always just assumed it sucked bc there's hardly ever a line and it's an office building food court vendor. Surely they can't cook with pits right?

I went by there not long after they opened. It was pretty damn good, especially for basically being food court bbq
Just devoured a two meat plate of fatty brisket and pork ribs and am pretty blown away that this is "food court" bbq. They do a very good job. I'll try to spread the word in the office.
OregonAggie
AG
I really need to check them out.

Your first post about them got me curious and it mentioned something about the guy buying a big smoking rig so they must smoke off site. If his bbq is as good as advertised there's no what they're doing it right there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.