Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trophy Hunter shoots sleeping lion

15,434 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TxFig
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shooter has got some problems when he is identified.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6824509/Outpouring-disgust-trophy-hunter-seen-creeping-sleeping-lion-shooting-it.html

Apache
AG
Was the lion shot legally? If so, then it doesn't matter if the lion was sleeping or not.

It may not be ethical to some, but I don't really have a problem with it & have shot several hogs that I snuck up on when they were asleep.

Animals in Africa will go extinct because of poaching & habitat loss; not sport hunting. Period.
Unemployed
AG
Would you be okay with killing the lion if it was walking about?

I don't see the difference with killing it while it was asleep or active. In both cases, you're only going to shoot at the animal when it's unaware of your presence.

You're either okay with killing the lion or not. There's no in-between.
Naveronski
AG
The money hunters pay for shooting game like this is what pays to combat poachers, feed locals, and provide for the local economy.

It may not be popular to some, but the community benefits.

How much have you donated to them?
BigPuma
AG
Apache said:

Was the lion shot legally? If so, then it doesn't matter if the lion was sleeping or not.

It may not be ethical to some, but I don't really have a problem with it & have shot several hogs that I snuck up on when they were asleep.

Animals in Africa will go extinct because of poaching & habitat loss; not sport hunting. Period.
Absolutely. Dirty secret, foreign sport hunters are what fund wildlife conservation in africa.
CowtownAg06
AG
In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion......too soon?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
RealTalk said:

I don't see the difference with killing it while it was asleep or active. In both cases, you're only going to shoot at the animal when it's unaware of your presence.

Bull***** Disagree completely. It's not sporting at all. Remember when that used to mean something? Shooting doves off a wire has been frowned upon for years and there's a whole lot more dove than lion.

The general tone on this board has gotten a lot more "black and white" over the years and I simply don't understand it. Much of the world is gray and requires an application of ethics or morals or whatever you want to call it.

CT'97
AG
BigPuma said:

Apache said:

Absolutely. Dirty secret, foreign sport hunters are what fund wildlife conservation in africa.
There is nothing dirty about it. It's called capitalism. If the animal has a higher price tag from the legal hunters than the poachers then the animals will continue to exist.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
CT'97 said:

BigPuma said:

Apache said:

There is nothing dirty about it. It's called capitalism. If the animal has a higher price tag from the legal hunters than the poachers then the animals will continue to exist.
He was being sarcastic. I think we all agree that the paying hunters are doing quite a bit for conservation. That's not the issue raised by this thread though.
Unemployed
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

Bull***** Disagree completely. It's not sporting at all. Remember when that used to mean something? Shooting doves off a wire has been frowned upon for years and there's a whole lot more dove than lion.

The general tone on this board has gotten a lot more "black and white" over the years and I simply don't understand it. Much of the world is gray and requires an application of ethics or morals or whatever you want to call it.

You're right after thinking more about it. I don't think it's okay if you killed a lion while it's trapped in a cage so it's not as black and white as I stated.

But I don't distinguish between shooting the lion while it's sleeping or awake.
cuz-i-can
AG
I'm good with skillet meat...
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

I always thought it was frowned upon because you would damage the power lines... I'm not above a skillet shot.

Last I checked the TPWD handbook they didn't have any regulations regarding state of consciousness of the animal.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

I always thought it was frowned upon because you would damage the power lines... I'm not above a skillet shot.

Last I checked the TPWD handbook they didn't have any regulations regarding state of consciousness of the animal.

I'm not just talking about power lines. I'm talking about a fence line or a tree branch or sitting on the ground.

I was always taught that you shoot them on the wing. And everyone I've ever hunted with was raised the same way. It's been part of the culture of dove hunting for generations.

As for your last sentence, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.
stdeb11
AG
Couldn't you argue its more sporting to shoot a bedded animal? Requires more skill to sneak in for a shot while remaining completely unknown to the animal... And added bonus is the target isn't likely to move causing a poor shot
RM1993
AG
Tough to tell the distance in the video but it looks like the guy stalked to within 50 yards of the lion I n a completely open area without waking it. That is pretty damn sporting in my book. Hell, try to get within 50 yards of a sleeping cow without waking it and see how hard that is, much less a lion.

Yet now we have people on here arguing it wasn't sporting because the lion was asleep. So, if he was awake but looking the other direction then it's all good? Was the hunter supposed to try and get him up and running before shooting? That likely could result in a less than ideal shot and a wounded lion disappearing into the bush. Exactly where is this magical line between sporting and non-sporting on a lion hunt?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wait we can't shoot a dove off a tree branch?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
RM1993 said:

Tough to tell the distance in the video but it looks like the guy stalked to within 50 yards of the lion I n a completely open area without waking it. That is pretty damn sporting in my book. Hell, try to get within 50 yards of a sleeping cow without waking it and see how hard that is, much less a lion.

Yet now we have people on here arguing it wasn't sporting because the lion was asleep. So, if he was awake but looking the other direction then it's all good? Was the hunter supposed to try and get him up and running before shooting? That likely could result in a less than ideal shot and a wounded lion disappearing into the bush. Exactly where is this magical line between sporting and non-sporting on a lion hunt?
See what I mean? Hey, y'all justify it to yourselves however the hell you see fit. All I know is, what I saw in that video was shameful and sickening according to everything I was ever taught about hunting.
CT'97
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

As hunting has been attacked more and more I have leaned more to the side of as long as it's legal I'm fine with it. I may not agree and in this case wouldn't take that shot, but I'm not going to condemn someone who did.
CT'97
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Wait we can't shoot a dove off a tree branch?
I was taught not to do this because I couldn't be sure what was on the other side of the treeline and didn't want to pepper someone hunting in the next pasture. But certainly not because it wasn't morally acceptable.
RM1993
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

See what I mean? Hey, y'all justify it to yourselves however the hell you see fit. All I know is, what I saw in that video was shameful and sickening according to everything I was ever taught about hunting.

So tell the rest of us what you would have done in order to make it ethical and sporting.
Trigger06
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

You're just trying to stir things up here.

If you aren't, then the amount of cognitive dissonance you're displaying is staggering.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
CT'97 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

As hunting has been attacked more and more I have leaned more to the side of as long as it's legal I'm fine with it. I may not agree and in this case wouldn't take that shot, but I'm not going to condemn someone who did.
We're on the same page. There's a difference in 'condemning' him hunter to hunter vs. the 'condemning' he's going to have done to him by the wackos on the left and general public when his identity is discovered. Those people can pound sand. I will say though that videos like this do harm than good to us in the eyes of the general public.
Gunny456
AG
My thoughts are is that it is up to the individual hunter to make a personal ethical decision as long as he is not breaking the law. Personally the "kill" is not the most important part of any hunt for me....its the memories and camaraderie of being with my family and friends and enjoying Gods great outdoors and using my skills to obtain the opportunity to take the game.
About five years ago I was hunting in Montana for a Bull Elk. After a lot of climbing and walking ( I was on private land...no guide) for four days I had not seen a single bull I wanted to take. About 10:30 AM on the 5th day I came upon a bull in a creek area with heavy timber that was lying down and obviously asleep or totally unaware I was close to him. I put the cross-hairs on him, he was a damn nice bull, but I did not pull the trigger. I made the personal decision that I did not want to shoot him lying down. I hollered at him twice and he jumped up very startled and spun in the thick timber and lay downs....I could not get a clear clean shot and did not shoot. I ended up with nothing from that trip but that memory of him....but it is one that I will relish forever.
This does not make me a better hunter or person than anyone else.................it was just my personal decision on that day and that moment....albeit, one I have never regretted. I have never since seen a bull that big nor have killed any others. I guess as hunters, it just depends on how important it is to make the kill is to that individual.
mpl35
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

so if woke it and it got up and then he shot, that's ok? Your completely illogical here. Sneaking up and shooting an animal is sporting. More sporting than sitting over a feeder or a water hole imo. But I'm not attacking those that wait for animals to come to them.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Trigger06 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

If you aren't, then the amount of cognitive dissonance you're displaying is staggering.
LOL. Oh please. Care to expound oh mighty sage?

I'm not trying to stir up anything. This is a discussion board about the outdoors and that's exactly what's taking place. If you don't disagree, that's fine but you don't get to throw out ridiculous accusations about someone simply because you're on the other side of the argument.

There's nothing dissonant whatsoever about my thoughts on the matter. As I stated earlier, it's not a black and white issue.
RM1993
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Trigger06 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

LOL. Oh please. Care to expound oh mighty sage?

I'm not trying to stir up anything. This is a discussion board about the outdoors and that's exactly what's taking place. If you don't disagree, that's fine but you don't get to throw out ridiculous accusations about someone simply because you're on the other side of the argument.

There's nothing dissonant whatsoever about my thoughts on the matter. As I stated earlier, it's not a black and white issue.

So again, what would you have done to make it ethical/sporting. How would you have gone about killing that lion?
STX Ag
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

I was always taught that you shoot them on the wing. And everyone I've ever hunted with was raised the same way.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

So tell the rest of us what you would have done in order to make it ethical and sporting.
I wouldn't have shot a sleeping lion. I'm not sure how much clearer this can be made.

It's funny to read so many of you pretend as if ethical hunting and sportsmanship are concepts that I just pulled out of my ass for this thread.

As I've stated before, I've got nothing against big game hunting and I readily acknowledge and support the conservation efforts being made by the men willing to pay the price tags to take these animals. However there is no honor at all in shooting a sleeping animal like this. We're not talking about a nuisance animal or killing for food as a last resort. We're talking about trophy hunting.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Wait...

So the animal is motionless giving you the greatest opportunity for a shot

Hell yea I'd take it, twice on Sunday
RM1993
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

I wouldn't have shot a sleeping lion. I'm not sure how much clearer this can be made.

It's funny to read so many of you pretend as if ethical hunting and sportsmanship are concepts that I just pulled out of my ass for this thread.

As I've stated before, I've got nothing against big game hunting and I readily acknowledge and support the conservation efforts being made by the men willing to pay the price tags to take these animals. However there is no honor at all in shooting a sleeping animal like this. We're not talking about a nuisance animal or killing for food as a last resort. We're talking about trophy hunting.

Ok, so there you are 50 yds from the lion - but he's asleep. You are just turning around and walking away?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
STX Ag said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

I was always taught that you shoot them on the wing. And everyone I've ever hunted with was raised the same way.

Sorry you feel that way. It's true though. Frankly, I honestly don't know whether some of y'all are just piling on at this point or truly were never taught that. If the latter, I'm honestly very surprised. It's always been one of the unwritten rules and I've never hunted with anyone, friend or stranger, who didn't abide by it.
stdeb11
AG
You just contradicted yourself. You either support shooting the lion or not. You can't say you're fine with hunting lions and understand it then say you're against this example of "trophy hunting". What makes this different? That it's sleeping?

We get you're against shooting it sleeping. That's fine and a personal ethics decision.
Hoss
AG
I'm not arguing one way or the other here since I've never really hunted more than dove, pigs and varmints, but I wonder how y'all would feel if this was a sleeping trophy buck instead of a sleeping trophy lion? Does that change anything for those of you who feel this is perfectly okay? Why or why not?
stdeb11
AG
Also, would you (or anyone) care this much if it was a coyote? Why the line here?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Ok, so there you are 50 yds from the lion - but he's asleep. You are just turning around and walking away?
How many times are we going to dance this jig? I'm not shooting a sleeping lion. I'd give it a sporting chance. Whether that means waiting for it to wake up and get on the move again or otherwise, I'm not shooting a sleeping lion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.