Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trophy Hunter shoots sleeping lion

16,116 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TxFig
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He shouldn't have been lion around!
Apache
AG
Quote:

He shouldn't have been lion around!
You ain't kittin'!
Apache
AG
Probably the mane reason he got shot in the first place.
Get Off My Lawn
Legal? Yes.
Ethical? Yes.
Effective? You bet.
Sporting? Not in a traditional sense.
Beneficial? Mixed bag. Locally beneficial, globally slightly negative (one more anexdote against a trophy hunter).
Detrimental? Not to the population or the ecosystem.

I see this as a question of overlaying your own personal hunting ethics on another hunter in a different situation. I wouldn't be too proud of killing a lion in it's sleep, but don't significantly begrudge this man for doing so. Heck - I'd probably shoot a mountain lion if I walked into that proximity to it - sleeping or otherwise.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
He was waiting on the purrfect shot
Apache
AG
You know the haters will say he shot a lion without pride.
CSTXAg92
AG
Thread delivers.

Personally, I would not shoot a sleeping animal for sport - even if I paid big money to go on a safari hunt.

However, if my family was hungry and I had to put meat on the table, I'd shoot it regardless of where or how I found it.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
There sure is a lot of uproar
Apache
AG
Not too much the past couple of hours, especially none from Yelnick.

I reckon the cat's got his tongue.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Alright, I'm done with the pun game.

I blue starred a lot of posters on here. Some really good feedback on both sides and this is a situation where we're debating the ethics of a kill... always going to be very subjective and controversial.

I'm not interested in ever killing a big cat but I have no problem with people that do, under conservation/wildlife management practices. I'm not going to dive in argue with anyone on this one.
TxSquarebody
Same here. I'm not gonna kill something unless it threatens the safety and security of my family or feeds us. Nothing against those that trophy hunt. A ton of their money is spent preserving the species.
Old Town Ag
AG
The only truly ethical way to kill a lion is to first get its attention and once it charges within 25 ft. or less unload!

Link: This is the way you do it!
LEJ
"The culture of dove hunting"? Do you mean drinking beer in a wife beater whilst shooting a bird that's about as plain and common as the day is long? That culture?

Sky Rats are barely even meat! Hell, you gotta wrap bacon and hot peppers around the damn things for Pete's sake, and sometimes stuff them with cream cheese... and wash them down with more beer!

I haven't read the whole thread yet so maybe I'm being trolled. Sure feels like it.

The Culture of Dove Hunting! It sounds more ridiculous when I say it out loud!
Redpot76
So, I have seen the video clip and read through 3 pages of posts on an issue with no definitive right answer. I don't mind giving my 2 cents because I have been there (eight safaris in three different countries) and had a very similar experience. To begin with there is the legality issue which should be black and white and applied equally across all hunters regardless of why they are hunting. I will make an educated guess that no laws were broken as to the method of the hunt. The gray area is the ethical side of the question and I feel all hunters should have an opinion as a personal guiding light that is thier's to follow...but not to impose their ethical bias on someone else. It's a personal thing. Now to my experience. Yes I have shot a lion before, but it was at the request of the RSA land owner where land owners own the animals on their property, hence the high fence industry. That lion was considered by the land owner to be a danger to his photo safaris clients.

I did stalk a monster kudu that was asleep under a big shade tree once. It was a 59 3/4 inch giant as it turned out and no, I did not shoot it laying down...awake or asleep. When an animal is laying down it's organs tend to be displaced and the shot you take might not be the one you wanted. This was too big of a kudu bull to take a chance on wounding it and then having a long stalk on an animal suffering due to hunter negligence. Likewise and even more importantly, a dangerous animal should not be shot laying down for fear of wounding an animal that can kill someone. This is the ethics I hold to but would not impose on someone else.
Gunny456
BCStalk
Just thought I would check in on you guys.

CSTXAg92
AG
Old Town Ag said:

The only truly ethical way to kill a lion is to first get its attention and once it charges within 25 ft. or less unload!

WOW. Now THAT is a BOLD way to hunt.

ravingfans
AG
TexAgs Outdoor Board should be given Judicial Duty over all wildlife hunting matters from henceforth. We know stuff and can decide better than commie libs what is ethical and what is not.
JYDog90
AG
CSTXAg92 said:

Old Town Ag said:

WOW. Now THAT is a BOLD way to hunt.

If that's Yelnick at the end there, I'll take his side of the argument.
FIDO*98*
AG
Ethically you could make a pretty strong argument that killing a sleeping animal is by far the most ethical way to do it

Sporting? Unless you're putting yourself in a 50/50 position where it could be you or the Lion, it's pretty ridiculous to Grandstand about what constitutes sporting.

The argument for right or wrong begins and ends at the trigger pull. Period. There are zero problems with this kill
QuitTrippin
what's next hunting in zoos?

unless it's nuisance predator threatening human life ,livestock or is diseased there is ZERO reason to kill a lion.

HalifaxAg
AG
How do they know the lion was asleep? Perhaps it was just cat-napping?
Hodor
AG
Get Off My Lawn said:

Legal? Yes.
Ethical? Yes.
Effective? You bet.
Sporting? Not in a traditional sense.
Beneficial? Mixed bag. Locally beneficial, globally slightly negative (one more anecdote against a trophy hunter).
Detrimental? Not to the population or the ecosystem.

I see this as a question of overlaying your own personal hunting ethics on another hunter in a different situation. I wouldn't be too proud of killing a lion in it's sleep, but don't significantly begrudge this man for doing so. Heck - I'd probably shoot a mountain lion if I walked into that proximity to it - sleeping or otherwise.
The question of sporting/ethics is a complex one, IMO, and has been touched on already, but this is TexAgs, and I want to give my opinion as well!

To me sporting has to do with what makes hunting a particular species challenging. With doves, it's hitting a flying bird. You use a shotgun, set up over a water or food source, and hit them as they fly over. There's much less challenge hitting one that's landed, as the OP has already stated, with a 3 foot spread of lead pellets. So, we frown upon doing it.

For large game, the challenge shouldn't be actually hitting the animal. To me, if you're taking a shot where humanely killing the animal is in doubt, then you are taking an unethical shot. With big game, the challenge is finding and getting close to enough to the animal to take the shot. I've never hunted lions, so I have to assume that finding them is somewhat challenging, but I'm fairly certain that stalking that close to one is both a challenge and dangerous (and I would argue that personal danger from the hunted animal increases the 'sportiness' of hunting it). Getting close enough to to a wild animal that is bedded requires much more skill than teh act of shooting it, so I'm going to guage this as an ethical shot. Being that lions are alpha predators, I'll confess that it's possible that they are deep sleepers, not evolved to worry about being snuck up on, and sneaking up to a sleeping lion might not really be that challenging. If I were given that information, I could see myself changing my opinion, but, until then, I'll go with what I've seen in every other wild animal I've encountered, and assume that it's not easy to do.

Now, I don't honestly feel that hunting deer over a feeder is very sporting. I do it, and justify it to myself that the challenge in that case is the management aspect of selective harvest.

Perhaps a better question would be, why do we feel it's ok to take passing shots on flying birds, which have a much higher rate of wounding and painful death, when we don't accept that with large game? Why do we not care as much about how birds die? And fish... the MeatEater podcast recently discussed how most of us don't mind letting a fish flop around in the boat or on the bank rather than quickly dispatching it.
LEJ
Ha. Wrong. You seem to be against most everything.

Is there anything that you are FOR?

How about antelope hunting? Imma apply for a tag for the remote opportunity to sit in a pop up blind in the desert in August.

FU Shaynew!
cevans_40
AG
I have been known to let ducks land on the water before firing the first shot. Just saying
FIDO*98*
AG
Hodor said:

Perhaps a better question would be, why do we feel it's ok to take passing shots on flying birds, which have a much higher rate of wounding and painful death, when we don't accept that with large game? Why do we not care as much about how birds die? And fish... the MeatEater podcast recently discussed how most of us don't mind letting a fish flop around in the boat or on the bank rather than quickly dispatching it.

Funny that you brought fishing into this. People look down on using Croaker. I've personally killed far more juvenile trout ripping soft plastic out than I ever have Croaker. On top of that, I've cut open so many fish bellies filled with soft plastic it's not even funny. I had 5 in a single Redfish just this year. Swallowing a Croaker that got off isn't going to hurt a Trout one bit.

Great overall post though Hodor
Prince_Ahmed
It was a canned African hunt. I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that the guides find and drug most of the lions that are killed on these hunts - the bigger deal is that he most likely shot a drugged lion.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
What makes you say this?

From the little I know about African lion hunts, the ones that still have a heavy mane at maturity, are very likely pen/farm raised. This guy has a small mane but I don't know how mature he was.

I am genuinely curious if you're just spewing conjecture or if you have some information about THIS hunt that no one else does?
mellison
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

LOL. Oh please. Care to expound oh mighty sage?

I'm not trying to stir up anything. This is a discussion...

I don't know if you're supposed to wake up a lion before you shoot it or not, but I do know that this is what "stirring things up" looks like.
C Loves L
EastSideLowlife said:

what's next hunting in zoos?

unless it's nuisance predator threatening human life ,livestock or is diseased there is ZERO reason to kill a lion.

You're most likely trolling but if not. You should accidentally run into a deer, going 70mph while in a remote area in deep East TX. Only then will you possibly respect the deer season
jakeaggie84
AG
Only real way to kill a sleeping lion is with a knife! No more than 8 inch blade.
HalifaxAg
AG
I would have to wear my brown pants on that day.
ironmanag
AG
jakeaggie84 said:

Only real way to kill a sleeping lion is with a knife! No more than 8 inch blade.
Knife hell.. You have to choke the sucker out. That is the only way it would be truly sporting.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
Thisguy1
3 pages and OP still hasn't posted on this thread again. He must be an anti-hunter.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Maybe the lion was playing opossum.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.