Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trophy Hunter shoots sleeping lion

16,112 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TxFig
$3 Sack of Groceries
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
stdeb11 said:

You just contradicted yourself. You either support shooting the lion or not. You can't say you're fine with hunting lions and understand it then say you're against this example of "trophy hunting". What makes this different? That it's sleeping?

We get you're against shooting it sleeping. That's fine and a personal ethics decision.
No contradiction whatsoever has been made. Read the thread. You either misread something or don't understand what's being argued.
STX Ag
AG
When I was a kid I had a break open .410, my grandad loved to have me shoot them out of trees and off power lines.

But I'm sure your grandad was better than mine.
Gunny456
AG
I have to agree with Yelnick on this......its called "winshooting". I got a huge butt chewing from my grandfather one time when we were dove hunting and I shot a dove who had lit in a tree. Man did he scold me and he asked just what did I prove by sending 50 BB's in a three foot pattern at that sittin dove? He said that as a man I needed to learn that it was not about how many doves I put in the vest as much as the skill to hit them flying as the sport was meant to be. He told me that it was a privilege and earned right to be able to hunt and that it was my responsibility to be a good steward of that right and freedom by using honesty and integrity while doing it, or someday it could be taken away from us by people who did not understand it.
That little lecture that day has stuck with me my whole life.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
STX Ag said:

When I was a kid I had a break open .410, my grandad loved to have me shoot them out of trees and off power lines.

So effing predictable. You could set your watch to it.

decent looking Ag
If it was shot legally, who gives a *****
TwoMarksHand
AG
Bro, you're just straight up trolling now.
stdeb11
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Tough to tell the distance in the video but it looks like the guy stalked to within 50 yards of the lion I n a completely open area without waking it. That is pretty damn sporting in my book. Hell, try to get within 50 yards of a sleeping cow without waking it and see how hard that is, much less a lion.

Yet now we have people on here arguing it wasn't sporting because the lion was asleep. So, if he was awake but looking the other direction then it's all good? Was the hunter supposed to try and get him up and running before shooting? That likely could result in a less than ideal shot and a wounded lion disappearing into the bush. Exactly where is this magical line between sporting and non-sporting on a lion hunt?
See what I mean? Hey, y'all justify it to yourselves however the hell you see fit. All I know is, what I saw in that video was shameful and sickening according to everything I was ever taught about hunting.

So tell the rest of us what you would have done in order to make it ethical and sporting.
I wouldn't have shot a sleeping lion. I'm not sure how much clearer this can be made.

It's funny to read so many of you pretend as if ethical hunting and sportsmanship are concepts that I just pulled out of my ass for this thread.

As I've stated before, I've got nothing against big game hunting and I readily acknowledge and support the conservation efforts being made by the men willing to pay the price tags to take these animals. However there is no honor at all in shooting a sleeping animal like this. We're not talking about a nuisance animal or killing for food as a last resort. We're talking about trophy hunting.
I guess I misread your comments saying you acknowledge the conservation as support, or at least agreement, with how Africa handles lion hunting (or conservation in general). But based on the other comments, you do not.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Bro, you're just straight up trolling now.
Not sure what makes you think that. I assure you I'm not.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
stdeb11 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Tough to tell the distance in the video but it looks like the guy stalked to within 50 yards of the lion I n a completely open area without waking it. That is pretty damn sporting in my book. Hell, try to get within 50 yards of a sleeping cow without waking it and see how hard that is, much less a lion.

Yet now we have people on here arguing it wasn't sporting because the lion was asleep. So, if he was awake but looking the other direction then it's all good? Was the hunter supposed to try and get him up and running before shooting? That likely could result in a less than ideal shot and a wounded lion disappearing into the bush. Exactly where is this magical line between sporting and non-sporting on a lion hunt?
See what I mean? Hey, y'all justify it to yourselves however the hell you see fit. All I know is, what I saw in that video was shameful and sickening according to everything I was ever taught about hunting.

So tell the rest of us what you would have done in order to make it ethical and sporting.
I wouldn't have shot a sleeping lion. I'm not sure how much clearer this can be made.

It's funny to read so many of you pretend as if ethical hunting and sportsmanship are concepts that I just pulled out of my ass for this thread.

As I've stated before, I've got nothing against big game hunting and I readily acknowledge and support the conservation efforts being made by the men willing to pay the price tags to take these animals. However there is no honor at all in shooting a sleeping animal like this. We're not talking about a nuisance animal or killing for food as a last resort. We're talking about trophy hunting.
I guess I misread your comments saying you acknowledge the conservation as support, or at least agreement, with how Africa handles lion hunting (or conservation in general). But based on the other comments, you do not.
Feel free to quote anything I've written that states otherwise. Hint: you can't.
**EDIT** If what you've bolded is an indication of what you think is a contradiction, then you're simply misunderstanding the argument/discussion.
shaynew1
AG
It's alllll trophy hunting bruvs
stdeb11
AG
Maybe so, but based on how this thread has went, I'd say I'm not the only one confused or misreading things.

But I finished my lunch so I'll shut up and stop poking now.
Apache
AG
We all have our personal codes with regard to hunting.
The same guy who is against
A: Shooting a free range sleeping lion that could wake up and kill your ass

may be ok with

B: Killing a buck under a corn feeder on a high fenced place with a rifle from 100 yards.

STX Ag
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

STX Ag said:

So effing predictable. You could set your watch to it.

Hey you're the one that got on here and got all preachy about shooting winged rats out of trees. I could make the same "so predictable" comment about all of your posts, too.

Just sayin.

PS. The poppers taste the same either way. HTH
AgEng06
AG
Apache said:

We all have our personal codes with regard to hunting.
The same guy who is against
A: Shooting a free range sleeping lion that could wake up and kill your ass

may be ok with

B: Killing a buck under a corn feeder on a high fenced place with a rifle from 100 yards.

Right. But then we still have to look down on others based on these beliefs.

For example... I don't care if he snuck up on this lion during intercourse, or if he shot a female lion while she was giving birth..... AS LONG AS IT WASN'T WITH A DAMN CROSSBOW AND HE CALLED IT ARCHERY.
shaynew1
AG
No true sco- ...outdoorsman
aggiepaintrain
AG
Just like people who have a high caliber deer rifle with a $1000 scope sitting in a deer blind over a corn feeder who call themselves deer "hunters", surrounded by high fence on their father in laws ranch.

powerbelly
AG
It looks like a general board troll has been hard at work here
C Loves L
The correct answer is
1. Slowly wake up Lion (do not startle)
2. Allow lion his morning breakfast
3. Wait till lion is comfortable
4. Fire warning shot
5. Kill shot

AgEng06
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Just like people who have a high caliber deer rifle with a $1000 scope sitting in a deer blind over a corn feeder who call themselves deer "hunters", surrounded by high fence on their father in laws ranch.

Just so we can understand where you stand... what if all of that is the same, but replace "high caliber deer rifle with a $1000 scope" with traditional bow? recurve? compound bow?
shaynew1
AG
AgEng06 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Just so we can understand where you stand... what if all of that is the same, but replace "high caliber deer rifle with a $1000 scope" with traditional bow? recurve? compound bow?

did you fashion that bow yourself?
stdeb11
AG
Atlatl or GTFO
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

AgEng06 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

did you fashion that bow yourself?
No, but I fashioned the spear points for my atlatl!
AgEng06
AG
stdeb11 said:

Atlatl or GTFO
dammit, beat me to it
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Ah, Tuesdays on the Outdoor Board. Gotta love it.
ironmanag
AG
I don't get the outrage.

I have seen numerous hunters shooting bedded down mule deer, rams, and Auodads at 500+ yards.

I have seen bow huters stalk into within 10 yards of a bedded down elk and shoot.

I agree that McWawa is trolling.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
AgEng06
AG
CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Either signal your virtue for us all or GTFO! You're either against us or... against us!
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
I'm good as long as it's mounded like this:
Naveronski
AG
RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Ok, so there you are 50 yds from the lion - but he's asleep. You are just turning around and walking away?

Flashbang
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
AgEng06 said:

CE Lounge Lizzard said:

Either signal your virtue for us all or GTFO! You're either against us or... against us!
Gunny456
AG
One post made was the most important reply and that is this video, in the general public's view, will just add to condemning further hunting and firearms in general. We are the Tex Ags OB...I would say that 98% of us like and support hunting and fishing as a sport. However in our general population hunting is declining as our generations are exposed less and less to it......and along with this "sporting arms" firearms ownership.

Just look how Hollywood typically depicts hunters or hunting.......usually goober baffoons that run around shooting defenseless animals. Look how much in just 50 years the "general perception" is of hunters and how hunting in general has declined. Look at the support and money that PETA, HSSCA, Friends of Animals, World Wildlife Fund, etc. have now compared to 50 years ago.

We, as hunters, don't need any more publicized issues or events to shed even more negativity than what we already have on our sport of hunting. We always need, as they say, "to put our best foot forward".

Furthermore, we need to pull together as hunters to support all types of legal hunting instead of having personal agendas against one kind of hunting or another.....as the old cliche says.......united we stand.....divided we fall.
BrazosDog02
AG
What the F--- is going on here? Are we arguing the sportiness of killing a wild animal? The same group of people, like myself, that sit in a black box with a high powered rifle and a 10x scope and kill a grazing animal eating dinner because we've been feeding it in the same place at the same time for 6 months?

You guys gotta be kidding me. You know all were doing is just moving the needle around between Killing with your bare hands and senseless killing.

I am enjoying this thread, by the way. I KNEW it would deliver as soon as I clicked it.
Rexter
The dipstick "reporter" captioned one photo with the statement that the guide was prodding the lion with the butt of the rifle. It's plain to see that he is holding the stock and poking with the end of the barrel.
ToHntortoFsh
" We're not talking about a nuisance animal or killing for food as a last resort. We're talking about trophy hunting."

I'm pretty sure I would shoot dove out of trees before coming anywhere close to a "last resort" and I wouldn't feel bad about it at all.
"America is a nation that can be defined in a single word:

Asufutimaehaehfutbw"
RM1993
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

RM1993 said:

Ok, so there you are 50 yds from the lion - but he's asleep. You are just turning around and walking away?
How many times are we going to dance this jig? I'm not shooting a sleeping lion. I'd give it a sporting chance. Whether that means waiting for it to wake up and get on the move again or otherwise, I'm not shooting a sleeping lion.

Ok, so you aren't going to shoot a lion who is asleep and completely unaware of your presence.

Let's say you put on a similar stalk and get within range of a lion who is awake, but completely unaware of your presence - do you shoot it?
C Loves L
If I'm ever shot to death I hope I'm sleeping when it happens

Just sayin...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.