Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trophy Hunter shoots sleeping lion

15,441 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TxFig
NRH ag 10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

NRH ag 10,
take a trip off of the OB board onto to some other hunting forums. There are plenty of experienced hunters (yes, big game hunters) who agree with me that they wouldn't have taken the shot. Not that you care, but you'll also find more than one example of folks discussing the "shooting a bird on a wire" topic on various boards and find that I'm hardly the outlier.

Regardless, nothing else good will come from this thread. I'm done with it.
We're not talking about shooting a bird on a wire, we're talking about sneaking up on a big game animal. I've done it, you haven't.

So instead of telling me to look at other online forums, how about you take a trip the field with a bow or rifle in your hands and stalk an animal, then get back to me.
ravingfans
AG
CaddisBlackAngud said:

Seriously??? Only 5% of Americans 16 years old and older currently hunt. That number is expected to sharply decline over the next decade. There is a major shift in the outdoors world and it's numbers of participants are going down the toilet. 30 years from now fisherman and hunters both are going to be drastically different in numbers from where they are today.
Who's to blame? The answer is all of us including the peole who love the outdoors or claim to love the outdoors. We have enough people outside of sportsmen who bag on us for hunting and fishing. The last thing we need are grandstanding elitists who kill our sports from the inside.
Flyfishing is the only way to fish. If youre not flyfishing, you're not a fisherman. Use open sight rifles to hunt deer because scopes are not sporting. Use a .22 for squirrels because a shotgun is not sporting. A buck has to be 8+ years old or you shot the wrong one and are condemed to Hell. Crossbows shouldn't be considered bows and if you use one during archery season you suck/cheat. High fenced property regardless of size is not ethical or sporting and you're a dirt bag for hunting it. Stationary fowl of any type can't be shot because it's too easy and not sporting or ethical. Shooting a sleeping animal is not sporting and it's unethical. The list is much too long and I could go on forever but you get my point.
Reality: Kids or first timers in the outdoors are going to loose interest immediately following the grandstanders in the field. I kind of feel sorry for novices having to endure our sports with people like this.
A LOT of outdoorsmen have gotten too involved in what they THINK the sports are versus legal means and methods. It's your opinions and grandstanding that are keeping novices from taking up hunting and fishing.
It's pretty sad reading some the threads and posts throughout the whole outdoor board. I didn't know there were so many people who claim to be outdoor enthusiasts but bag on others enough so the individuals will give up on our outdoor passions.
As long as you are legally hunting and fishing, I am for it. Go out and get a limit of fish, ducks, deer or whatever you want. I am glad you were successful and maybe a little jealous. Congrats on everything you catch or kill. I'm here to enjoy the stories of fishing trips and hunts regardless of how you caught them or what method you shot the game with.

we should have a required outdoors class in elementary, Junior High and HS with gun safety and technique being prominently taught. Should also be required as basic testing, kind of like the ACT's or whatever they are these days...
ravingfans
AG
STX Ag said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

I'm sure STX will just post that eye roll gif again and the blue star brigade will pad his stats despite all that.

on queue!
TxKng82
AG
This has been some great Wednesday morning entertainment! Well done OB!
TxFig
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

RealTalk said:

Would you be okay with killing the lion if it was walking about?

I don't see the difference with killing it while it was asleep or active. In both cases, you're only going to shoot at the animal when it's unaware of your presence.

You're either okay with killing the lion or not. There's no in-between.
Bull***** Disagree completely. It's not sporting at all. Remember when that used to mean something? Shooting doves off a wire has been frowned upon for years and there's a whole lot more dove than lion.

The general tone on this board has gotten a lot more "black and white" over the years and I simply don't understand it. Much of the world is gray and requires an application of ethics or morals or whatever you want to call it.

Bite me libtard. It was legal - that is ALL that matters.

--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.