Outdoors
Sponsored by

767 crash in upper Trinity Bay

77,177 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mts6175
aggiepublius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It seems a Amazon 767 crashed in upper Trinity Bay this afternoon. 3 souls on board. Nosed in at 7000fpm based on one report.

Chambers County Sheriff said it went down in area called Jack's Pocket that is well known for duck hunting. Really shallow he said of 0-5 foot water and marsh. Sheriff said nothing is visible above the waterline. Only good news was he seemed to note the fuel slick was minimal.

Anyone here hunt or fish in the area?

Video of Sheriff talking: https://abc13.com/video/embed/?pid=5153425
johnrth
I posted on the gb that a few more minutes in the air it looks like it could have been a million times worse. There's the Exxon Baytown plant, a cheveron plant and a couple plants in Mont belveiu.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I have been out looking all day. It happen less than a mile from my house.
Bert315
AG
Hunted the area a few times. Going to be really difficult to piece this one together with the terrain in the area. Saw reports that eye witnesses said it nose dived which I would think means something catastrophic and quickly happened as opposed to a lingering issue.
longeryak
Anahuac is thick with gators. Used to take the kayak and camera out there for gator pix.
TommyGun
AG
I live about 10 miles from the crash site. The debris field was scattered around Bulkhead Cove which probably averages around 1.5-3' deep on a high tide. It was kind of surreal seeing the aerial views on the news. I've spent many days catching redfish in that little cove.
plowboy1065
S
dradkins said:

I have been out looking all day. It happen less than a mile from my house.

At least you did something useful today
Aggie Hunter
AG
That's more than you did today. #getoffthemilktit
Pooh Ah
AG
Bird strike?
aggiedent
AG
Dropping that fast with no communication. No.....not a bird strike. More like a sudden loss of flight control.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Will be interesting to see the report. Watched some similar planes on that route on FlightAware and most are 11k or so and descending on approach into Houston.

7000fpm would've been somewhere around 8-10 degrees nose low if they were still around the cruising speed of 500ish I've seen listed for the 67.
CharlieBrown17
AG
aggiedent said:

Dropping that fast with no communication. No.....not a bird strike. More like a sudden loss of flight control.

No comms sounds like a worse situation that I wouldn't want to speculate about without knowledge about the situation.
aggiedent
AG
Agreed. Speculating at this point in time is the folly of media. The only thing we can assume is that it was a serious enough problem to prevent them from making time to communicate.
TxAg20
AG
Pilots are taught to:
1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate
In that order. No reason to communicate when you're trying to regain control of the aircraft and your situational awareness.
gomerschlep
AG
Was talking to one of our FW pilots today. The plane was on a totally normal approach at about 6500ft then made a nose down pitch. Hit the bay basically flying straight down. In a cargo aircraft my mind always jumps to unsecured payload or a cargo shift, but I don't think that could be so severe as to pitch straight down so suddenly.
EMY92
AG
Depends on the cargo. An MRAP that broke free on takeoff took down a 747 very quickly when leaving Bagram. The nose went up and there was nothing that could be done to level the plane.

CharlieBrown17
AG
TxAg20 said:

Pilots are taught to:
1. Aviate
2. Navigate
3. Communicate
In that order. No reason to communicate when you're trying to regain control of the aircraft and your situational awareness.

I'm aware.

From everything I've seen they would've had a minute plus prior to impact, with two on the flight deck I don't think a mayday call is a stretch.

Timeline for the miracle on the Hudson, while not completely similar, was 35 seconds from bird strike to their first call.

https://www.tailstrike.com/150109.htm
jabberwalkie09
AG
That crash was mentioned on the politics board. Apparently when it broke free, it broke the screw jack making it unrecoverable.
CharlieBrown17
AG
EMY92 said:

Depends on the cargo. An MRAP that broke free on takeoff took down a 747 very quickly when leaving Bagram. The nose went up and there was nothing that could be done to level the plane.

The issue there wasn't CG/load shift. The MRAP that got loose damaged the hydraulic system

While not out of the question, I'd guess it's low probability that was the cause.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Since we are speculating ... anyone ever hear of a theory that a large gas cloud from a geologic event could stall aircraft engines? Similar to the theory where ships could drop into a giant air pocket and sink.
CharlieBrown17
AG
There's a media briefing by the NTSB on the investigation in 15 minutes
CharlieBrown17
AG
Last radar contact was made at 6000 ft with a speed of 240

So closer to 20 degrees nose low to achieve that 7000 fpm.

Crash was also caught on video from the jail 1.4 miles away for about 5 seconds of video.

Flight data recorders haven't been recovered
expresswrittenconsent
Other thread said video of crash exists from nearby county jail.
schmellba99
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Since we are speculating ... anyone ever hear of a theory that a large gas cloud from a geologic event could stall aircraft engines? Similar to the theory where ships could drop into a giant air pocket and sink.

Yes, methane or other gas that is in high enough concentration to deprive the engine of oxygen can cause a stall.
purplehayes
One of the deceased is an Ag.
aggiepublius
AG
purplehayes said:

One of the deceased is an Ag.

I hadn't seen that. Have released the other names?
purplehayes
Not sure if they have been officially released. I'm not going to give his name until that happens. Great guy and good Ag
CanyonAg77
AG
sc said:

Yes, methane or other gas that is in high enough concentration to deprive the engine of oxygen can cause a stall.
No.

An engine failure is not a stall.

A stall is an aerodynamic event where the wing loses lift, usually a speed/angle of attack problem.

And it would have to be a HUGE gas pocket to stop an engine. A plane going as slow as 100mph would be in and out of a football-field sized gas pocket in two seconds. Barely enough time to make the engine stumble.

The closest thing to that happening has been airliners flying through volcanic ash. And it was erosion and clogging of internal parts that caused their failures.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I'm aware.
Hope you avoided the tornadoes. I understand they hit on the east end of the business district, well away from the AFB.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not officially released but are named in the linked article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/amp/FAA-Cargo-plane-crashed-in-Trinity-By-in-13639542.php
CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah only issue we had on base was losing cable for about a day.

Drove though some of the damage yesterday, it's pretty bad in some places. Like surprising there was only one death bad
SpiDer2008
AG
Where do you see one was an Aggie? Looked them up on the AFS and none came up. Maybe Aggie by heart? Still devastating regardless. Could happen to any of us out there... Having a little one of my own on the way and pursuing my dream, I can't even imagine the feeling of the jumpseater's wife who just had a child and her husband was fixing to go to his dream job at United... Tailwinds and blue skies...
purplehayes
One is. His name is spelled incorrectly in that article.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
schmellba99 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Lol um no.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
EMY92 said:

The amazon plane was likely carrying light cardboard boxes . Not tanks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.