Outdoors
Sponsored by

767 crash in upper Trinity Bay

76,871 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mts6175
CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

EMY92 said:

Depends on the cargo. An MRAP that broke free on takeoff took down a 747 very quickly when leaving Bagram. The nose went up and there was nothing that could be done to level the plane.

That plane was likely carrying light cardboard boxes . Not tanks.

Editing because of your edit.
aggiedent
AG
He may have been referring to a compressor stall, although that would not technically be a compressor stall. As you pointed out, a gas pocket big enough to starve an engine of oxygen would have to be massive. Possible but unlikely, especially in that area.
schmellba99
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

sc said:

Yes, methane or other gas that is in high enough concentration to deprive the engine of oxygen can cause a stall.
No.

An engine failure is not a stall.

A stall is an aerodynamic event where the wing loses lift, usually a speed/angle of attack problem.

And it would have to be a HUGE gas pocket to stop an engine. A plane going as slow as 100mph would be in and out of a football-field sized gas pocket in two seconds. Barely enough time to make the engine stumble.

The closest thing to that happening has been airliners flying through volcanic ash. And it was erosion and clogging of internal parts that caused their failures.
Jesus, are we really going to get into the weeds? You knew exactly what I was talking about, and in common nomenclature application when an engine either loses fuel or the ability to perform combustion as a result of a loss of fuel or air, calling it a stalled engine is not uncommon.

I never stated that it was probable, only that it was possible. Those are two completely different things. Just like it is possible to hang an elephant from a shoe string, but it is definitely not probable.

This crap right here is what is making the OB harder to tolerate these days. It's like everybody looks for a hair to split just so they can thump their chest and talk about how they are more right than the next guy.
aggiedent
AG
Popcorn time.
agfan2013
AG
CanyonAg77
AG
Words matter. "Stall" has a specific meaning in aviation.

Personally, there is a wealth of knowledge on the board, and I enjoy being informed by people who know what they're talking about.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Schmellba99 is referring to a "compressor stall."

Flying into a gas cloud like that would "surge" the engine. But it would have to be one big cloud.
Thor '89
aggielostinETX
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Personally, there is a wealth of knowledge on the board, and I enjoy being informed by people who know what they're talking about.

Canyon be condescending again. Shocked face.
aggielostinETX
AG
Best part is your wrong. Aerodynamic stall /= engine stall, which is obviously what schmellba was talking about.
CanyonAg77
AG
Deats said:

Best part is your wrong.
must.......not......be........condescending.......

Hey, I freely admit I can be a smartass. It's what I do.

However, discerning someone's tone from what they write is a superpower I don't claim, unlike others.
aggielostinETX
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Deats said:

Best part is your wrong.
must.......not......be........condescending.......

Hey, I freely admit I can be a smartass. It's what I do.

However, discerning someone's tone from what they write is a superpower I don't claim, unlike others.

Awww, did my thumb typing/auto complete hurt you?
CanyonAg77
AG
See, I thought it was amusing, you thought I was serious.
aggielostinETX
AG
Oh I am over here laughing my ass off.
aggiedent
AG
All I can say is really? Really?
I Am A Critic
schmellba99 said:

This crap right here is what is making the OB harder to tolerate these days. It's like everybody looks for a hair to split just so they can thump their chest and talk about how they are more right than the next guy.
Wow. If there was ever a post with a severe lack of self-awareness, this is it.
cbr
AG
Wth happened to this thread?
ENG
AG
I Am A Critic said:

schmellba99 said:

You must be a critic...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
While we're arguing minutiae...
the comment that keeps getting quoted that the plane was probably filled with light cardboard boxes keeps bugging me. Don't they box/pad/label at the distribution centers? I'd expect anything delivered by air to be packed a bit more efficiently
Pooh Ah
AG
cbr said:

Wth happened to this thread?
Kenneth_2003
AG
NRD09 said:

While we're arguing minutiae...
the comment that keeps getting quoted that the plane was probably filled with light cardboard boxes keeps bugging me. Don't they box/pad/label at the distribution centers? I'd expect anything delivered by air to be packed a bit more efficiently
Boxed cargo will move by air 1 of 2 ways.
1) Palatalized and shrink-wrapped or cargo netted and secured to the floor
2) Inside air freight cargo containers that are built for that airframe.

I'd say #2 is most likely as those containers are designed for the plane they're going in to maximize volume related to the shape of the walls. These are also going to be far easier to secure to the floor with integrated latches and locks. Either way, every crate or pallet will be weighed and have a pre-determined location for the within the plane. This load plan will be followed to the letter by the load master.

Another thing to think about. There's no way to know the weight of each box. The plane was under contract to Amazon. You can buy anything you want/need for you life from Amazon. Much like FedEx, you could probably see a little bit of everything in those boxes. Everything from paper towels , laundry detergent, blu ray players, and brake discs.
aggiepublius
AG
As the OP, I am now on the verge of being sorry I started this thread.
AgGrad99
AG
This was absolutely palletized or containerized loads. I diont know of any operator with an aircraft that size, operating in bulk configuration. It would be more expensive, and much much less efficient.

But cargo shift didnt cause this. That would be more likely to occur on takeoff or because of an event. But this was a controlled/normal descent....until a sudden dive. Doesnt look anything like a cg shift.

Something else had to have occurred.

CharlieBrown17
AG
AgGrad99 said:

This was absolutely palletized or containerized loads. I diont know of any operator with an aircraft that size, operating in bulk configuration. It would be more expensive, and much much less efficient.

But cargo shift didnt cause this. That would be more likely to occur on takeoff or because of an event. But this was a controlled/normal descent....until a sudden dive. Doesnt look anything like a cg shift.

Something else had to have occurred.

hbc07
AG
From being a ramp rat at FedEx, the only position on widebodies that was ever bulk freight was in the aft cargo compartment (though not sure if the 767 has that position). It would have been wildly inefficient to load either the main cabin or the bellies with bulk.
AgGrad99
AG
Yep. Now if this was a regional/feeder freighter, totally different loading (Still unlikely it's cg shift, but something to look at if there was external issues)

But for this aircraft, not likely cg shift.

Hope they're able to determine the cause. I'm very curious now.
schmellba99
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

And stall has a specific meaning with respect to engines too. Which, coincidentally, is what was being discussed in the theoretical world.

In fact, here is the damned definition:

Quote:

verb
verb: stall; 3rd person present: stalls; past tense: stalled; past participle: stalled; gerund or present participle: stalling
[ol]
    (of a motor vehicle or its engine) stop running, typically because of an overload on the engine.
    "her car stalled at the crossroads"

• (of an aircraft or its pilot) reach a condition where the speed is too low to allow effective operation of the controls.
    • Sailing
      have insufficient wind power in the sails to give controlled motion.
    • cause (an engine, vehicle, aircraft, or boat) to stall.
    stop or cause to stop making progress.
  • [/ol]

But don't let that get in the way of being more right. I'm sorry my word caused you so much angst and butthurt.
    schmellba99
    AG
    I Am A Critic said:

schmellba99 said:

You aren't exactly lilly white in being a d-bag on occasion either. HTMFH.
    Boo Weekley
    schmellba99 said:

I think most of us could work on how we address each other online. I think a good rule of thumb is to treat others how you would treat them in person. If someone was wrong in person...or "technically wrong" in a hair splitting way...you wouldn't say "No. An engine failure is not a stall.". Seems kind of normal to type that on a mostly anonymous forum but someone who talks like that in person would universally be considered an ******* or childish for not using any tact whatsoever. I've been a fan of CanyonAg77's for years and know he's not an a-hole

A better way of saying the same thing like a respectful human being dealing with fellow Ags would be something like "Actually, believe it or not (or"I know I'm splittin hairs here"), a stall technically is yada yada yada...".
    flyingaggie12
    AG
    I am not posting to argue about the stalled engine vs. stall plane debate.

What I will comment is about the overall discussion regarding the possible theory of a complete engine malfunction. Planes don't just drop out of the air if an engine fails.

It's also extremely unlikely that a engine failure could cause an outcome like this, given multiple redundant backup instrument/power/hydraulic/avionics etc systems would've had to fail in order for a steep descent like this to occur. Something catastrophic and sudden happened mid air that did not give the crew enough time to aviate, let alone communicate. It will be interesting to see what the cause of this accident was.
    80sGeorge
    AG
    gomerschlep said:

Was talking to one of our FW pilots today. The plane was on a totally normal approach at about 6500ft then made a nose down pitch. Hit the bay basically flying straight down. In a cargo aircraft my mind always jumps to unsecured payload or a cargo shift, but I don't think that could be so severe as to pitch straight down so suddenly.
    If CG shift is out then it sounds like loss of elevator control somehow, right?
    L1TexAg95
    AG
    Actually while on IFR flight plan and upon encountering an Emergency Situation the FAA expects you to obtain an amended clearance before deviating after squawking 7700. Silly and not realistic but true. I'm guessing these guys didn't get an amended clearance. Those loving federal regulation would then blame the pilots for the crash because they didn't comply with said regulatory agency.
    CanyonAg77
    AG
    Maybe...but my limited training and my personal opinion is save the aircraft first and worry about regs if and when you have time.

The guys on the radio don't have their butts on the line.
    MouthBQ98
    AG
    I'm betting a large control surface broke free suddenly or it's hydraulic system failed pretty spectacularly.
    L1TexAg95
    AG
    Believe me man I'm with you... I'm going to fly the plane first but to say pilots are "taught" to aviate first isn't in line with the regs. Just making a point of how difficult these situations are to deal with while taking a jab at the Feds as a whole when it comes to writing rules that aren't realistic.
    Salt of the water
    AG
    Wasn't there a different model Boeing that took an unexpected nosedive and crashed recently? Turns out there was some wonky auto trim programming that was making adjustments even when it shouldn't have.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.