Outdoors
Sponsored by

767 crash in upper Trinity Bay

76,865 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mts6175
average_joker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes, they want every shred of that plane they can find. The NTSB will rebuild that plane and can backtrack to the smallest detail what happened. (See TWA800)
txaggie02
AG
aggiepublius said:

F***** that. Basically playing roulette on who is going to grab the head of an alligator snapping turtle.
Kenneth_2003
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I think it was the show Ultimate Disasters or something like that would show the wreck and then show how and what caused it. Learned that the FAA will take their time to determine this and will want every piece of evidence

Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel... loved that show when i got that channel
OnlyForNow
AG
Done that braiding for mussels. This is a whole lots different.

Thanks to the men and women in blue.
WP69
AG
aggolfer said:

I drive that stretch of highway almost everyday. See planes flying right over and think about how crazy that scene must have been.
You should still be able to see the dent in the fuel tank off the runway.
Centerpole90
AG
When the Korean airliner went missing there was much made of the pinging signal that the flight data recorder made. For thiose that know, is this something all flight data recorder's have? I know buried in the coastal marshes much different than laying on a hard ocean bottom, plus the signal is localized since they already know the general area... but I was just wondering if there was any sort of built-in assistance for locating them.
Bassmaster
AG
May be a stupid question, but why doesn't every black box have a GPS inside?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anyone know the water depth at the crash site?

Probably mud bottom.

Worked on a construction barge years ago driving piles in mud flats. Hell, most of the time the pile would sink 20ft down or more under just the weight of the pile driver.

How much of the wreckage is buried deep in mud. Damn.
Centerpole90
AG
GPS receivers tell you where you are - so if they do or don't it would only serve to tell the black box where it, itself, is. Passing that position information to someone/something else requires some sort of transmission or telemetry. There are other complicating factors for GPS positioning that factor in here - not the least of which is it requires a clear view of the sky/satellites to know position, but I think the long answer to your question is that somehow searchers have to find the boxes and a GPS receiver in the box alone is only part of that solution. Somehow it would need to transmit its 'last known' position to whoever is looking for it.
OnlyForNow
AG
Water depth is anywhere between 0-7 feet, and most likely 2-5.

It's a marsh for the most part.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Black boxes don't have any locator on them but planes have ELT but the NTSB said in their presser the Sunday after they didn't really expect it to work due to the mud and they would search with divers, by hand and would dredge as a last resort

Guessing it would be hard to make something survive what the black box has to and transmit instead of just recording and saving data.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I'm not sure how divers can work in that muck with zero visibility. My guess is they will have to construct some sort of cofferdam and pump the water out.

Hell maybe some type of seismic mapping or radar technology will be used. In any event, sounds like a massive job.
CanyonAg77
AG
If the "black box " survived it should be emitting a sonar ping. Which works great in water, I have no idea how it works in muck

There is still an atomic bomb. In the waters off Tybee Island GA that hasn't been found in over 50 years
Larry S Ross
AG
WP69 said:

aggolfer said:

I drive that stretch of highway almost everyday. See planes flying right over and think about how crazy that scene must have been.
You should still be able to see the dent in the fuel tank off the runway.

I was living there then as well and drove by there to work. Eerie as hell seeing that huge tail section sitting for what seems like weeks by the storage tanks.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Anybody see any reports anywhere of actual eyewitnesses to the crash?

Seems like there should have been some dudes out wadefishing nearby.

Seem like some **** that would happen. Some dude out fishing, enjoying his day off listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with earbuds in. Next thing you know a gd 767 drops out of the sky.
1990AG
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

If the "black box " survived it should be emitting a sonar ping. Which works great in water, I have no idea how it works in muck

There is still an atomic bomb. In the waters off Tybee Island GA that hasn't been found in over 50 years
Say What???

Bregxit
AG
1990AG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Say What???

What!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision
BreNayPop
AG
1990AG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Say What???

found now

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/georgia-amateur-divers-find-long-lost-nuclear-warhead/
oragator
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Tybee_Island_mid-air_collision
oragator
That's a fake news site, it's still missing.
BreNayPop
AG
thats crazy
SECond2noneAgs
AG
I was talking to a guy last night about this, and he pointed out how there was no noticeable fuel in the water. The news pictures and videos show no fuel in the water, and Sheriff Hawthorne even said in one of the early press conferences that the environmental impact due to fuel spillage was minimal.

It doesn't take much of a fuel leak in a fishing boat to cause a noticeable fuel sheen. Is it possible that the plane lost fuel prior to the crash?
1990AG
AG
oragator said:

That's a fake news site, it's still missing.
I like the fake news on this one better....

note to self...never drop the anchor around Tybee....

Stat Monitor Repairman
Plausible.

Yet how much crazy ****has to happen for it just to run out of fuel. But the simplicity of it. It might just be the case.who knows. Maybe Amazon was testing some new AI **** on it. Who the **** knows really.

Of all the ****weve seen lately.

Post removed:
by user
cbr
AG
1990AG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Say What???
Yes. The us military managed to drop and fail all the failsafes on several nuclear bombs, on us soil. There is in fact a nuke offshore nc not found. One off spain too. One hydrogen bomb failed all failsafes, dropped on the tarmac in south dakota, and only failed a full thermouclear explosion due to the luck of wind direction on the fire that consumed the plane.

There are at least 5 known nuke diasters that avoided detonation despite all failsafes failing. Just luck.
1990AG
AG
Perhaps we need a new Director of "Failsafes"?

Stat Monitor Repairman
cbr said:

1990AG said:

CanyonAg77 said:

One hydrogen bomb failed all failsafes, dropped on the tarmac in south dakota, and only failed a full thermouclear explosion due to the luck of wind direction on the fire that consumed the plane.

Wait what? W T F.

**** like that terrified me as a kid.
cbr
AG
1990AG said:

Perhaps we need a new Director of "Failsafes"?
Yep, lol. They went through that excercise a few times. One of the best was led by an ag. Dont remember his name though.

Some scary **** though. Physically dropping or exploding (you can blow up most nukes a lot of ways without a nuclear detonation) nukes happened quite a bit.

Hell a titan with an armed nuke exploded in its silo in arkansas, blew a bazillion ton silo cover (like 8 foot thick 100+ foot diameter cast iron! I mean... really really ****ing heavy) off its tracks and launched a flaming thermo nuke bomb about half a mile! They later hauled it off in a deuce and a half with cnn filming the whole way (helped make cnn a thing).

They bounced a bunch of them down the tarmac, or crashed planes loaded with them several times.

Its a miracle were all still here.
1990AG
AG
NOT going to help me sleep better....

expresswrittenconsent
1990AG said:

NOT going to help me sleep better....

Like claytie said, if thermonuclear destruction is inevitable, lay back and enjoy it.
1990AG
AG
I, like many Aggies, was working on his campaign when he said that!

cbr
AG
Dead hand
Atomic adventures
Command and control

All pretty interesting reads on the subject.

We and the soviets also each had software failures indicate full MAD lauches, that individual soldiers (not even really authorized to make the call) just decided to not launch retaliatory strikes. Like colonel level types on watch.

And of course, outside the cuban missile crisis, the soviets actually thought able archer in 83 was us preparing to preemptively strike and invade europe, rather than an excercise. They actually thought that we might launch a pershing strike on moscow and theyd only have 4-6 minutes to react (we couldnt actually reach moscow with them). Many think this was actually more dangerous than the cuban crisis.
Post removed:
by user
CanyonAg77
AG
Obviously, none of the nukes had all of their failsafes fail. Because there has not been an accidental nuclear detonation

The old weapons, several accidents did set off the conventional explosives, but not in a way that would go nuclear. Fire would not have done it either. Newer weapons use insensitive high explosives.

The Arkansas missile explosion was due to a dropped wrench hitting a liquid fuel tank and boom. The warhead is often referred to as "The Arkansas Traveler".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.