Outdoors
Sponsored by

767 crash in upper Trinity Bay

76,891 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mts6175
sunchaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I timed it 4 times and that's about 4 seconds of the 18.....
Rexter
As cheap as storage is these days, it seems like the CVR and FDR data could be transmitted real-time and stored on a server.
aggiepublius
AG
I will let others that may know more details but bandwidth is one of the biggest issues to overcome, particularly over oceans and remote areas. But there are a number of solutions that are being developed that were spurred by the Air France crash in the mid Atlantic and the MH 370's disappearance.

ACARs is one protocol already in place but it isn't comprehensive.

This article looks at some of the issues:
https://www.npr.org/2014/03/27/295332750/why-dont-planes-stream-their-flight-data-in-real-time

And one of the issues is quite mundane but has some very real implications. Think about the flight crew having all their conversations transmitted back to the company in real time constantly. Better not say anything about being frustrated about the bosses or you could hear about it when you land.

Quote:

Sean Cassidy is first vice president of the Airline Pilots Association International, the pilots union. Cassidy, an Alaska Airlines captain, is fine with aircraft streaming more data, but he draws the line at cockpit conversations.

SEAN CASSIDY: Say I go on an eight-hour trip with my copilot. And every single conversation, every single personal story, stories about our families and everything else, is being streamed live to somewhere? How is that information going to be safeguarded?

But cost is a huge factor as well. One thing I read suggested $100K per plane.
AquaAg1984
AG
Sasappis said:

This is some scary **** right here

Thanks. A bit misleading on the post you quoted as it was stated "sending debris and water high in the air"

Didn't see that.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
Not misleading at all, considering that's exactly what the video appears to show.
aggielostinETX
AG
AquaAg1984 said:

Sasappis said:

This is some scary **** right here

Thanks. A bit misleading on the post you quoted as it was stated "sending debris and water high in the air"

Didn't see that.

1. That's exactly what it shows.

2. Did it look like they got the plane flat at the last second?
OnlyForNow
AG
2. No.
Rockdoc
AG
It did look like it shallowed up slightly but kinda tricky to be sure.
aggielostinETX
AG
Rockdoc said:

It did look like it shallowed up slightly but kinda tricky to be sure.

Tough with the video frame rate but the mutha was hualing ass straight down.
aggielostinETX
AG
At :20-:21 seconds the wings definitely get thinner.
Rockdoc
AG
Man that thing was hauling in. Terrifying.
insulator_king
AG
Aviation Herald is always good for info.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4c497c3c&opt=0
TexasAggie_02
AG
OnlyForNow said:

2. No.

Might have something to do with the extreme wide angle of the lens. The horizon in curved quite a bit
AquaAg1984
AG
After watching many times I see the plane at the end of the vid in a straight dive but no water displacement.
OnlyForNow
AG
There is a big dark could that plumes up after it goes down. Just have to be watching.

I don't see anything like scrap or pieces though.
aggiepublius
AG
insulator_king said:

Aviation Herald is always good for info.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4c497c3c&opt=0

Great resource - hadn't seen it before.

Quote:

On Mar 5th 2019 the NTSB reported the download of the CVR was successfully completed, the last portion of the accident flight is available on the 2 hours' recording, the quality of the recording however is poor and it was difficult to determine what was being said, occasionally required advanced filter techniques. The aircraft was being vectored for an approach to Houston Intercontinental's airport's runway 26L. The NTSB stated: "Crew communications consistent with a loss control of the aircraft began approximately 18 seconds prior to the end of the recording." The FDR was also successfully read out, 54 hours of flight data spanning 17 flights were downloaded. The recorder stores about 350 parameters. The investigators are currently verifying and validating the FDR data. A transcript of the CVR is estimated to be compiled during the next week (Mar 11th and following).
AquaAg1984
AG
OnlyForNow said:

There is a big dark could that plumes up after it goes down. Just have to be watching.

I don't see anything like scrap or pieces though.
Thanks
AquaAg1984
AG
How about debris? It seems some here saw something from this vid. I did not.
AquaAg1984
AG
SECond2noneAgs said:

Not misleading at all, considering that's exactly what the video appears to show.
Well I must be watching a different vid.
smstork1007
AG
or your Commodor 64 needs an upgrade. its exactly what he said it is.
DallasAggies01
AG
AquaAg1984 said:

How about debris? It seems some here saw something from this vid. I did not.

Look between the lower tree limbs in the video. You'll see where a dark plume of water and debris shooots up.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Why do we have better footage of this crash than we do of a plane hitting the side of the Pentagon?

expresswrittenconsent
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Why do we have better footage of this crash than we do of a plane hitting the side of the Pentagon?

20 yrs of technology improvements?
Or
9.11 was an inside job. Is that where you are going?
powerbelly
AG

Home surveillance cameras have become much more ubiquitous and less expensive in the last 5 years.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

20 yrs of technology improvements?
Or
9.11 was an inside job. Is that where you are going?
Little of column A, little of column B.

But seriously, in 2001, a camera capable of getting the quality of footage that the camera that is an afterthought on the device you carry around in your pocket probably would have needed to be carried around on your shoulder.

Now, I think I have a dropcam pointing at my back yard that broadcasts above HD in real time via my wifi network that cost like $100.
Kenneth_2003
AG

Troll... but I'll bite

Because it was captured by a residential security camera that probably installed within the last 5 years. In that market you're going to be hard pressed to find a camera that isn't capturing HD footage. That footage is being recorded to a 2TB solid state hard drive in a DVR in your closet.

Lets say the Pentagon camera was 5 years old... In 1996 there was no such thing as HD. The most basic features on these modern cameras were dreams at best for the camera/imaging industry. Digital was the "new" thing and even then was still frequently recording to magnetic media vs creating a computer file on a drive. IF it was writing to a drive of some kind it was tiny. Storage in the 90's and even into the early 2000's was expensive. We carried 3.5in diskettes that stored 1.44 MB. I recall in 1999 the computer my parents paid thousands of dollars for had a seemingly massive 3GB hard drive. The stated purpose of that camera was to monitor a parking lot access gate.

The Pentagon was in the middle of a massive renovation, and I presume things such as perimeter cameras were a part of that so it's possible that camera was new. Even then, when was it speced?

Technologically speaking we've come a long way since 2001. Farther since whenever that camera was speced.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Take it any way you want.

All I'm saying is ... we got better footage from a camera stuck to the side of Ray-Ray's Body shop than we do from one of the most heavily surveilled buildings on the planet.
SweaterVest
AG
Ah wonderful. Just as this thread was returning to the topic at hand after an interesting derail about lost nukes, we have another thrilling tangent to discuss, this time with the added bonus of trolling!
CanyonAg77
AG

Because the plane hitting the side of the Pentagon was going 530mph about 100 feet from the camera. Frame rate probably about 30fps, and the camera covers about 50 feet of width of view.

So the plane is going about 50 feet per frame. It essentially crossed the whole field of view of the camera during that 1/30 of a second image.

It comes out as a smear
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Ding Ding Ding

If the Atlas flight was instead approaching the same modern camera from a 90 degree angle less than a football field distance away, it wouldn't look any better than the Pentagon footage.
aggielostinETX
AG
powerbelly said:

Home surveillance cameras have become much more ubiquitous and less expensive in the last 5 years.

Both of the films I have seen appear to be businesses or schools. Insurance requirements for those have changed significantly in 20 years.
powerbelly
AG
Deats said:

powerbelly said:

Both of the films I have seen appear to be businesses or schools. Insurance requirements for those have changed significantly in 20 years.
That is true.
aggielostinETX
AG
You weren't wrong but captain conspiracy theory needed a little calming down.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Deats said:

You weren't wrong but captain conspiracy theory needed a little calming down.
But conspiracy theories are a hell of a lot of fun.

Stat Monitor Repairman
Makes sense ... but should keep the thread active until further developments.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.