Outdoors
Sponsored by

Most 3rd world place you've been to while still in the USA?

25,279 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taquache02
TThom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My best friend is from Whiteface...Morton was considered going to town!
HtownAg92
AG
I didn't see anything but trash and mutants in Jewett, Texas.

I agree on the shady parts of Memphis - I am lucky to be alive after venturing in to some on my BBQ quests.
RGV AG
AG
Would have to agree with parts of the Delta and deep south MS, that is just really a place time and advancement forgot. Everything to do with humans in some of those places is old, dilapidated, and just trashed. Most of East Texas looks rich and prosperous compared to a that rural part of MS.

The RGV has pockets of really ugly and poor colonias, but they are basically pockets or small neighborhoods. The overall area, while not really pretty and somewhat trashy, is to me above the 3rd world, considering the true 3rd world is but a few yards or miles, depending on location, away from there. As mentioned, junky and poor but not dangerous.
Canyon99
AG
The shanties on the NW and SW shores of Lake JB Thomas. It's sad that people live like this and also what they've done to the land.
FTAG 2000
AG
Skid Row in LA (though not really neighborhoods).

Ninth Ward in New Orleans.

Downtown Detroit (had the spare tire stolen from my rental while parked AT the courthouse)

There's a really rough neighborhood just east of San Bernardino, CA

Easily the worst was the Cheyenne River Tribe Reservation in South Dakota. Those other areas were rough, but that time was the only time I was really uncomfortable to the point of telling my coworker we needed to get in the car and leave. Drove about 100 mph down a two lane road until we got to a neighboring county / off reservation land.

tlh3842
AG
Just thinking of Texas, there's a few general east Texas areas. Parts of the golden triangle come to mind too, I saw someone mentioned the Vidor area already.
HarleySpoon
AG
SunrayAg said:

Go to the Dumas, Texas wal mart on a Saturday evening. You may not know what 3rd world country you are in, but you are not in the United States...
What is a Ding Dong Daddy....was that x-rated in the 1930's?
CanyonAg77
AG
HarleySpoon said:

SunrayAg said:

Go to the Dumas, Texas wal mart on a Saturday evening. You may not know what 3rd world country you are in, but you are not in the United States...
What is a Ding Dong Daddy....was that x-rated in the 1930's?
Alliteration, nothing Moore.
BCO07
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

West side of Chicago looks like a damn war zone

It is a ghetto, but not that bad. There are public transportation stops, the United Center, Garfield Park, etc. I would not want to be hanging around after dark asking for directions of course, but I saw many beautiful sports during my years up there.

Now parts of Gary were pretty rough. Ditto for some of the southside neighborhoods.

For my contribution, I drove out to Tucson with my Dad as he moved out there. Some of those western New Mexico and Eastern Arizona towns were so small and so remote that I started to believe Aliens could land and take over the town and no one would ever notice. You might as well have been in Kazakhstan.

It's been 10 years, but when I managed an outside line crew for AT&T up there it was really bad. Driving in from oak park once you got east of Austin it night and day. Any window without bars was broken or boarded. All doorways had a broken gate. Traffic lights existed, but we're totally ignored. Most vehicles on the street were broken. When we sent our guys there we were issue chains and locks for their ladders and make them leave their wallets and all cash except $10 for lunch at the garage.
CanyonAg77
AG
Canyon99 said:

The shanties on the NW and SW shores of Lake JB Thomas. It's sad that people live like this and also what they've done to the land.
My mom's family had a cabin there in the 50s and 60s. Went by there a few years ago, and, yes, it was scary. Photos of my family's old cabin in the thread below, and some of the occupied places don't look a lot better.

I have no idea who actually own the land out there. Seems like my family sold their plot to the folks next door at some point.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2529388
BCO07
AG
If we're talking Texas, how about Lake L Estates between Trinity and Sebastopol
jtp01
AG
Yes it is. The packing plant in Cactus,TX brings in foreigners to do the work. It can get real dicey there or the local allsups after dark. All of them buying 24oz Budweiser cans buy the armload.
jtp01
AG
I have a dealer in Morton,TX. I make sales calls there.
agcrock2005
AG
Parts of Louisiana after Katrina appeared worse than those pics. Worst part is 3 or 4 years later the houses were all the same, except every place had a nice RV parked in the driveway courtesy of the govt.
agcrock2005
AG
jtp01 said:

Wow. Just did a quick google earth tour through there. THAT is a **** hole!
The Pilot
AG
jtp01 said:

Yes it is. The packing plant in Cactus,TX brings in foreigners to do the work. It can get real dicey there or the local allsups after dark. All of them buying 24oz Budweiser cans buy the armload.
We have Somali's in Dallas too, I bet they go to Walmart here too.
BCO07
AG
agcrock2005 said:

jtp01 said:

Looks like most cross road towns in the panhandle
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
agcrock2005 said:

jtp01 said:

Been through Morton many times and know some folks from the area. It's not as bad as it may look. I wouldn't want to live there but it's certainly not as bad as some of the other areas mentioned.
agcrock2005
AG
Yeah, I didn't spend more than 2 minutes on it. Just picked a street and saw all of the houses falling apart. I haven't spent much time out that direction but as someone else mentioned, I'm sure most of the small towns are probably pretty crappy.
ursusguy
AG
It was more of a joke. I have family in Morton, and I lived there briefly in grad school. Cousins used to hang out at the Allsups. They knew when to go home when my aunt would walk out and flash the porch lights.....they don't live all that close to town.
rwv2055
AG
Mowdy Ag said:

Las colonias del Rio Grande valle.

My wife, who is from Harlingen votes for this.
rwv2055
AG
I lived it Raymondville for about 10 years. It gets my vote.
EFE
AG
Sebastian thinks you're an uppity pan
Salt of the water
AG
I see your Sebastian and raise you an Arroyo Colorado Estates and a Lozano.

Funny side note: my grandfather was the only one of his siblings born in Sebastian and all the family used to give him crap for being born in the boonies.
EFE
AG
I've got a Primo in Sullivan City that laughs at those two

I drive around the valley all day for a living, it's humbling to think of where my day starts and ends compared to what the folks I see out near the groves I check wake and do.
aggiedent
AG
Walton Hall circa 80-81'.
Potcake
AG
rwv2055 said:

I lived it Raymondville for about 10 years. It gets my vote.

Boot Company shrimp plate

Also, the area around the Salton Sea is pretty sketchy. A million flies too.
unearth222
AG
the entire city of philadelphia
plowboy1065
S
Which one of those Rhame boys you talking about?
HalifaxAg
AG
Just about to say....north of Philly and west of Philly around 48th-52nd Street
Old Sarge
AG
Shortly, and hopefully for a brief time, it will be the Coastal Bend area of the Texas Coast. Thoughts and Prayers to everyone on the coast from Corpus to Matagorda, and about 60 miles inland.
GasPasser97
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Which one of those Rhame boys you talking about?

If you are asking me, Kenny.

I moved away after Jr High ('88).

Are you a Barrow or Moor?
Post removed:
by user
plowboy1065
S
Barrow or Moor? Man you cussing me good. Actually I'm from Winnie but Halley Jr and I farmed together. Kenny lives over here by me in Cypress now. See his wife just about every morning at the gym
Alte Schule
Forgot about East St. Louis. Part of my family hails from just across the river in Granite City, Illinois. For years I heard about the cesspool to the west. Decided to drive trough it on a Sunday morning in July 2010 while heading back to Texas. Every thing I was told was true and then some.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.