Outdoors
Sponsored by

Most 3rd world place you've been to while still in the USA?

25,268 Views | 190 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by taquache02
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My Pop's old near west side neighborhood along Roosevelt in Chicago when I was kid.

Holy *****
91AggieLawyer
AG
Eagle Pass by far. Some areas of South Dallas -- between I-35 and I-45 -- are places I stay away from, but I wouldn't quite put them in the 3rd world area. Many rural parts of Texas and some smaller towns are all but trashed out (see Moody, TX) and ugly as hell but aren't necessarily places I'd fear going.
Shelton98
AG
87Flyfisher said:

People in backwoods Southwest Arkansas drive over to Moon, OK so they can feel better about themselves and where they live. (and people in Tom, OK are now mad they didn't make your list.)

Tom used to have (maybe still do) a pretty good Mexican food joint. I think they moved to Texarkana.
Shelton98
AG
87Flyfisher said:

Eagletown, Oklahoma between Broken Bow and the Arkansas line.
The locals claim that it has the highest percentage of convicted felons of any community in the USA. for some reason there are 4 bars that are all housed in boxcars.

This.

JSKolache
AG
Mowdy Ag said:

Las colonias del Rio Grande valle.
That's exactly what this place is, by design. Its a Colonia, and people started moving in before any infrastucture
clem93
AG
Ward, CO

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0729362,-105.5069742,3a,75y,250.57h,69.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgPRHxuAZLUBN3bVhgKWiTw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A guy taking a piss in the front yard, facing the street.

More abandoned vehicles than people.
Ol Whats his Face
AG
Quinlan, TX
Stat Monitor Repairman
South Louisiana. Even when the sun is out the whole area looks gloomy and instills an impending sense of doom. There is an area along the Achafalaya River in south Louisiana where canals run back up in the swamps. I dont really know why they are there. Maybe built to access the area by an exploration company years ago. I worked on a construction barge and the we took one of the canals as a "shortcut" to get to a worksite. Hadn't seen a sign of life for miles. Then we come across ramshackle houses built along the banks with people living in them. Saw a bunch of dirt covered and barefoot little kids staring at us from the bank. With the heat, mosquitoes, gators and snake, flooding, parasites, etc. I have no idea how people stay alive out there.

I think they did an episode of the show Naked and afraid in the Louisiana swamps and the people tapped out after one day.

In any event, hadnt thought about it until I saw season 1 of True Detective. Thats a realistic representation of the area.

I also remember an area north of Venice, La where oilfiled equipment and OSVs go to die. It was pretty cool to look at though. Hundreds of abandoned tank barges and crewboats rusting away. I always though it was hilarious that enviornmentalists go around making a show about painting blue dolphins on the storm drains and have no idea that places like this exist. Out of sight, out of mind.
RM1993
AG
Doss, TX!
Aggies Revenge
AG
87Flyfisher said:

Eagletown, Oklahoma between Broken Bow and the Arkansas line.
The locals claim that it has the highest percentage of convicted felons of any community in the USA. for some reason there are 4 bars that are all housed in boxcars.
That is a special part of Oklahoma. There are some logging trails down in that area that if you go down on, you will never be seen again.
76Ag
AG
Hippie hollow on Lake Travis.
elnaco
AG
Another vote here for areas of the RGV, but as others have mentioned, it's not necessarily a place I'd fear. Now some areas of east TX piney woods, that's something I do fear. I got a little turned around going to my buddy's place outside of Frankston. Somehow ended up an area that looked like something out of zombie apocalypse. Abandoned looking buildings with meth zombies wondering around.
O.G.
Pecos Texas & Detroit MI.
ursusguy
AG
Morton, Tx.....semi kidding
stdeb11
AG
Haha Ward, CO.

I enjoy riding thru there (or that canyon at least). You're right on the lots of abandoned cars. I think I've only been thru once when there hasn't been locals sitting in lawn chairs drinking on side of the main road. I don't think it's that bad....different folk for sure tho
plowboy1065
S
Did you at least wave at my kinfolk?
poet0715
AG
East St. Louis, Illinois.

My Dad grew in Collinsville, Illinois which is just outside East St. Louis. Our family made the trip back there to bury my grandmother a few years back it was pretty eye-opening.

First, we made a drive to the house where he grew up. The only thing remaining was the slab - it was set on fire a few years prior. Then, we drove past his Elementary/Middle School. It was converted to a juvenile detention center back in the late 90's. Next was a trip to his HS (Assumption Catholic HS). The school closed in 89 and was converted to a state prison in 1995.

I had never seen so many vacant/inhabitable homes/apartments in on area.

oneeyedag
Surprised no one has said Marlin.

South side of Memphis TN, south to MS.

Appalachia, but still lot's of good folks.
The Pilot
AG
East St Louis probably gets the nod for me too. I lived in Collinsville for a year after college in 2010. Only ventured into E St Louis during the day a few times.
stdeb11
AG
Just looked at the link you posted. Had a buddy stop inside there to ask for an ATM. The guy inside went into a rant about never using banks, never been on the internet, and doesn't own a phone...so yeah after more thought Ward is probably pretty true
Guitarsoup
AG
I spent my formative years living in New Orleans East just north of the 9th Ward.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
ursusguy said:

I believe Hearne and possibly Robstown.

I have no clue about Robstown but I can confirm the Hearne Wal-Mart did indeed close due to losses caused by theft. IIRC, it was largely blamed on the employees themselves doing most of the stealing.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

West side of Chicago looks like a damn war zone

It is a ghetto, but not that bad. There are public transportation stops, the United Center, Garfield Park, etc. I would not want to be hanging around after dark asking for directions of course, but I saw many beautiful sports during my years up there.

Now parts of Gary were pretty rough. Ditto for some of the southside neighborhoods.

For my contribution, I drove out to Tucson with my Dad as he moved out there. Some of those western New Mexico and Eastern Arizona towns were so small and so remote that I started to believe Aliens could land and take over the town and no one would ever notice. You might as well have been in Kazakhstan.

AggieGunslinger
AG
This, I have been to some really bad places in the Pineywoods. I very rarely felt unsafe just sad for the kids in those places. You know they have no chance to make the right decisions in life.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Mods- can we fix the forum so we can embed Vimeo just like YouTube?

Anyway, a little slice of East Texas for you. And this is nice by some Piney Woods standards.

https://vimeo.com/51110972
SECeded
bmc13
AG
ran by a huge homeless tent camp in dallas.

or this place in backwoods east Texas close to lake Palestine with people living in little shacks squatting on other people's land.
ursusguy
AG
The area around the Damen Silos is pretty special.
SunrayAg
AG
Go to the Dumas, Texas wal mart on a Saturday evening. You may not know what 3rd world country you are in, but you are not in the United States...
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Mods- can we fix the forum so we can embed Vimeo just like YouTube?

Anyway, a little slice of East Texas for you. And this is nice by some Piney Woods standards.

https://vimeo.com/51110972

Hell ain't nothing wrong with Kennard. Little incest here. Little moonshine there.
The Pilot
AG
SunrayAg said:

Go to the Dumas, Texas wal mart on a Saturday evening. You may not know what 3rd world country you are in, but you are not in the United States...
That's not much different than a Walmart in Dallas, Houston, St Louis, New York, Los Angeles.....
kyledr04
AG
Parts of Hearne, RGV, and rural East Tx.
IDAGG
AG
I have a few, probably in this order from worst to less worse:
-Mississippi Delta
-SE part of Memphis
-Lapwai, Idaho
Zamacuco
Marlin MFn Texas

Poor mans Hearne...
HTownAg98
The "Colored Subdivion No. 1" (yes, that is what it is called in their plat records) in Picayune, Mississippi.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.