Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

231,390 Views | 1435 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by CharlieBrown17
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
average_joker
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Shot in the dark here: Anyone know of a CFI in the north Texas area wanting to build flight hours quickly?

My early 20's son owns a nice 182 with a mostly glass cockpit and three axis autopilot. He has just over 500 hours with his instrument rating, high performance, and multi-engine. About 150 of those hours are operating a different 182 in an air tour operation. We don't want him to instruct. $70/hr to build time with him.

What's wrong with instructing?
HarleySpoon
AG
average_joker said:

HarleySpoon said:

Shot in the dark here: Anyone know of a CFI in the north Texas area wanting to build flight hours quickly?

My early 20's son owns a nice 182 with a mostly glass cockpit and three axis autopilot. He has just over 500 hours with his instrument rating, high performance, and multi-engine. About 150 of those hours are operating a different 182 in an air tour operation. We don't want him to instruct. $70/hr to build time with him.

What's wrong with instructing?
Instruction can be great. Our nephew with 200 total hours just passed his CFII and is about to start instructing to build hours. He wants to instruct and is not anxious to get to the airlines.

However, we all have our own personal experiences that influence our decisions. During my own pp training, my first instructor died in an aviation accident while instructing. While our son was doing his pp training, an instructor from a different program died at his field in an aviation accident while instructing.

In a previous life, I operated a fleet of 150 business jets. My BIL is a check airman on a 747 for a large operator. We are an aviation family, and our son has the opportunity to build his hours quickly in his own aircraft on long cross-country flights into a wide variety of locations on his own schedule while attending university full time online. We believe that establishing seniority sooner will be invaluable across the many cycles of the aviation industry that our son is bound to experience. We all wish we would have had this opportunity.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like SWA tried to land on a road without knowing it

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/southwest-airlines-oklahoma-city-low-altitude/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3Wfii6woHn16g_tYJtb2AH3K8lVrV4XvBuggx0ZXFce2vqlNUOi_HmYFg_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw
CanyonAg77
AG
As long as they didn't hit the KOMA antenna, they were fine. Not like there's a lot of mountains out there, as you know.
oragator
CanyonAg77
AG
Rear handle not in right position?

boredatwork08
AG
Well I did it, folks! Temporary private certificate is in hand.

My instructor and I were wheels up 0615 from KCLL out to Lake Charles. We did a few laps at KUXL before heading to KLCH.

The DPE was John Emerson.

Oral portion was a breeze. Turns out if you show up extra prepared, the DPE won't bother digging further. After 1.3 hours we were all done.

The flight portion started with a simulated engine failure at 300 AGL. He was satisfied with me pushing the nose down. We headed SW and did all of the required maneuvers. My simulated engine out and approach for an off-field landing wasn't great but he was satisfied. Then it was north to KUXL for performance takeoffs and landings. We were both happy with those. Thankfully the winds were almost directly down the runway. We then headed back to KLCH. Just before descending on downwind, Emerson took the controls and kept us very high on base then handed the controls back to me. I did a very aggressive forward slip and finished with my best landing of the day. I then heard the magic words, "Congratulations, you passed."

It was tough to keep it together at that point. It's been about 2 years since I started my training. There were multiple life events during that time that required my full attention and put my training on hold. I've wanted to be a pilot my entire life and it finally happened.

After a quick debrief and getting the temporary certificate, my instructor and I took a crew car over to Darrell's for shrimp poboys to celebrate. The flight home was interesting as we dodged a few afternoon storms but we made it back safely.

I'm going to enjoy my new privileges for a few weeks then it's on to instrument training!
oragator
CanyonAg77
AG
"They nearly collided in mid-air" says the tweet, and later in the same tweet says "they were not on a collision course".

Yes , they were too close, but I suspect that the existence of video is what is driving the story
AgLA06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

"They nearly collided in mid-air" says the tweet, and later in the same tweet says "they were not on a collision course".

Yes , they were too close, but I suspect that the existence of video is what is driving the story
I wouldn't be surprised if that perspective doesn't show reality. Maybe they were too close. Maybe they were a mile apart. That video doesn't necessarily show anything.
CanyonAg77
AG
Tweet says 725 feet apart. Parallel course, no big deal. Intersecting, not good
Moy
Congratulations!

Departing out of Easterwood, I assume you trained thru BVFS? Could they not get you a DPE closer to home? Years past there were 2 or 3 that come to mind.
boredatwork08
AG
It all came down to availability and preference for certain DPEs for PPL. Wanda was booked way out and the only other one in the Houston area with availability is known to be exceedingly difficult. Emerson was fair. I'd certainly go back to him for my IR checkride. Didn't hurt that going to KLCH is an opportunity get a legit po'boy while I'm out there.
average_joker
AG
Couple of old friends of mine started a new flight school at KTME for those of you in that area. It's affiliated with the flight club there.
crowman2010
AG
Cross-posting from the GB. Anyone in here a pilot either working privately for a non-commercial airline or own their own company? My son is graduating from HS this year and is very interested in this route.

We're in Houston, Lift Academy seems like a nice route, but we're just concerned with the 3-5 year commitment they require to Republic Airways.

Any help would be appreciated! He'd also be willing to chat via phone/Teams call if available.
CharlieBrown17
AG
What's the end goal here? Time building for the majors?

ETA Sounds like he's on a totally different path than I took but I can always find time to mentor someone wanting to make a passion their career. My hours are weird due to my job (USAF) and the security of where I work but feel free to pass my email and I'll give him a number he can text me at.

Charlie Brown crew @ gmail. No spaces
crowman2010
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

ETA Sounds like he's on a totally different path than I took but I can always find time to mentor someone wanting to make a passion their career. My hours are weird due to my job (USAF) and the security of where I work but feel free to pass my email and I'll give him a number he can text me at.

Much appreciated. His end goal is to work as a private pilot (eventually wants to own his own company with a fleet of planes for private use).
lazuras_dc
AG
crowman2010 said:

Cross-posting from the GB. Anyone in here a pilot either working privately for a non-commercial airline or own their own company? My son is graduating from HS this year and is very interested in this route.

We're in Houston, Lift Academy seems like a nice route, but we're just concerned with the 3-5 year commitment they require to Republic Airways.

Any help would be appreciated! He'd also be willing to chat via phone/Teams call if available.
my buddy did this for years and now works with southwest so hes prob a good resource, email me and i can put them in touch. lazurasdc at yahoo
Ducks4brkfast
AG
crowman2010 said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Much appreciated. His end goal is to work as a private pilot (eventually wants to own his own company with a fleet of planes for private use).
A friend of mine did exactly that out near us just west of Katy. He's now up to five aircraft, including a Citation 680.
CanyonAg77
AG
Glad to hear that is a viable business path. I wouldn't have guessed it would work
oragator
BenTheGoodAg
AG
"Honey, I had the weirdest day at work"
oragator
The ATC guy trying to process what he is being told is whats interesting to me. The pilot sounds more angry than anything. Probably in shock.
average_joker
AG
The audio is from an incident that occurred awhile back ('22) and the video has nothing to do with said incident. If I remember correctly the incident happened in a Casa after the FO landed so hard a wheel fell off. They went around, the captain took over and the FO went to the back and departed the aircraft before the captain was able to get it on the ground.
AggieMom24
Any pilots in Houston? C/O '24 & Corps son is with ATP now working through their program to be a commerical pilot. Just curious - he's looking to build hours....
oragator
Pucker factor, 8.5.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Surprised they left the gear hanging that long. Don't know how Airbus or the airlines do that, but if I rotate and lose thrust I'm getting gear up immediately to reduce drag.
Oldman04
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Surprised they left the gear hanging that long. Don't know how Airbus or the airlines do that, but if I rotate and lose thrust I'm getting gear up immediately to reduce drag.

It's easy to criticize them. I can assure you that they don't receive as frequent or as thorough emergency training as we did in the military. Imagine only doing emergency procedures sims once every 9 months (and really it's more like a Qual/Inst than a quarterly sim like we did the C-17.)
But to answer, yes after rotation and with a positive climb the procedure is to retract the gear. But they were probably ****ting bricks with all the ECAM messages and the PF was fixated on the FD/SRS commands. If they kept the gear down after reaching acceleration altitude then it would be a major screw up.
-Josh. Former Moose Driver, recovering boeing pilot, current Bus Driver.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Yeah it's always surprising talking to airline guys how little emergency/compound emergency training they get.

The Moose community could do a lot better than we do, but I do think CRM/complex emergency training is something we get right
CharlieBrown17
AG
*supposed to be this one
TxAg20
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Watching the video, I kept repeating in my head "positive rate, positive rate, positive rate"

In the part 91 world, we practice V1 cuts 5X probably any other emergency, but only once a year at recurrent. It's definitely the training that sticks with me the most.
oragator
Pucker factor of 8.
People in cabin hear a bang, pilot comes on and says he has an alert for smoke in the Cargo hold, and the plane descends 30k feet in 10 minutes to land in BFE Kansas. Sounds like it just might have been a faulty indicator.

average_joker
AG
Even if it is a faulty indication, they did good. Fire in airplanes is deadly. Too many important wires and cables to melt through that will turn you into a lawn dart like the Valuejet that went into the Everglades.
drmwvr
AG
I'm not a pilot but fly a a lot as a passenger for work. A 30k ft decent in 10 mins while fast, doesn't seem extreme. Now I'm sure if you heard a sound and the captain comes on to tell you that an emergency landing needed to take place, it would feel like an eternity and be scary as heck. Glad everyone was safe in the end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.