Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

205,001 Views | 1402 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by HarleySpoon
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Shot a Cat II to mins today.

That was an interesting damn experience

Used to do 3A's hand flown with HUD's in the 727. That will wake you up.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That sounds like a ride for sure

Can't decide if flying it yourself or trusting the auto pilot down that low sounds better
Jetpilot86
AG
The good news is that if it fails you are already actively flying the jet vs being a systems monitor for the full auto land system. It's just different even as you have your hands on the controls following along. I fly a full Cat3C system now and while it's great, the "stick and rudder " part of me wants to be in full control. Will the split second or so if I were hand flying make a difference? <shrugs>
CenterHillAg
AG
An uncle that flys the 777 told me about doing a Cat 3 autopilot approach with a 30kt direct crosswind. He said it took everything in him to not touch the controls when they were on short final crabbing that much, but it kicked in the rudder and made a prettier landing than he ever could in that weather.
CharlieBrown17
AG
We're in a real weird spot and don't have autoland but fly to cat II mins on autopilot. Once you decide to land it's a fun game of kicking everything off and flaring while taking a good guess of how much rudder to add
LPHA
AG
Can you translate this for people like me?
CharlieBrown17
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

We have a HUD

350 meters RVR and 99 off the RA for the decision height.

We got the approach lights at 150 feet and the roll bar at 105 or so and decided to land then.

Quote that sums it to me is the guy sitting in the jump seat that said "****ing A guys I wouldn't drive in this and we just landed".

HUD - Heads up display

RVR - Runway Visual Range, basically how far down the runway you can see because of fog/heavy rain/etc

RA - Radar Altimeter, tells you how far above the ground you are

Decision height the height on certain instrument approaches where you decide to land or commence a missed approach

When I said approach lights I meant the middle white lights. I misspoke about roll bar, we got the red terminating bars and made the decision to land. So the two rows of red lights.

Basically the lowest you could make this approach was weather where you could see 350 meters down the runway, they were calling 700 at the approach end and 450 on rollout. They were lying, it was 450 at best whole runway.

You had to decide to land or not at 99 feet above the ground from your radar altimeter so we were 5-10 above the minimum height we could go to and make a decision when we got the lights we needed to land. Seeing the ground isn't a requirement, just the lights to make sure you're in the right spot.
LPHA
AG
Thank you
CharlieBrown17
AG
In case you're more visual. This is titled as a Cat III approach but it looks pretty similar to what we had on the Cat II.

falcon09
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

We're in a real weird spot and don't have autoland but fly to cat II mins on autopilot. Once you decide to land it's a fun game of kicking everything off and flaring while taking a good guess of how much rudder to add
"Flaring"
trouble
AG
I really gotta stop reading this thread
CenterHillAg
AG
Bought a Husky last month, fun plane! Flew it 15 hrs home from Boston and no issues at all.

Jetpilot86
AG
Ride the rudder as the A/P is doing the work and you'll be pretty close at minimums.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Our pedals and stick don't move with the A/P at all
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just cause we do it weird doesn't make it not a flare

Kind of
Jetpilot86
AG
Get a Boeing ;-)
CharlieBrown17
AG
Done.

Now what?
MaroonDontRun
AG
So have any of you guys flown into TFP McCampbell Porter airport in Aransas?

I flew down there last weekend and it seems like the local county commissioner in charge of the airport is not a fan of general aviation. He intentionally pulled the crew cars from the FBO after years of service (and pulled the newer ones that were on the way). I got a general sense that he is not a fan of general aviation (not sure if true).

This got me wondering, what happens when a municipality decides to run their airport into the ground?

Does anyone else have experience with this airport?

Jetpilot86
CharlieBrown17
AG
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43225/two-t-38-talons-involved-in-deadly-incident-on-laughlin-afbs-runway

No inside line. Another T38 formation fatality.
BaitShack
AG
I'm just gonna leave this right here...

CharlieBrown17
AG
Pretty crazy. Doing some end of year performance numbers. Touched 5 continents, 17 countries and moved 2.5ish million pounds of stuff and a couple thousand people this year.
AgLA06
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Pretty crazy. Doing some end of year performance numbers. Touched 5 continents, 17 countries and moved 2.5ish million pounds of stuff and a couple thousand people this year.
That's it?
CenterHillAg
AG
On the flip side, I put out approx 3 million lbs of product in 600 hrs/65,000 flight miles, within 15 miles of the airport 95% of the time.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CenterHillAg said:

On the flip side, I put out approx 3 million lbs of product in 600 hrs/65,000 flight miles, within 15 miles of the airport 95% of the time.

650 hours and probably a quarter million miles or so.

Same same but different
falcon09
AG
Dang, CB17 has me beat in just about everything but cargo weight. 3 continents and 10 countries but I had about 2.8 millions pounds of cargo in just short of 600 hours.

I hit Guam and Japan quite a bit too. Guam 8 times and 5 different air bases in Japan a total of 22 times.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Guam is a good time. Haven't made it over to Japan.

They like sending us out east from the PNW still
CanyonAg77
AG
Google Earth Stealth Bomber

Centex99
AG
Anyone open to a partnership in sw DFW (ideally Arlington or Grand Prairie)?
I've been flying out of Addison but the drive is brutal… I live in Arlington/Mansfield area.
falcon09
AG
Maybe in about a decade.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Not only can Falcon fly but he'll keep you from getting lost too
PA24
AG

Heading to the house
CanyonAg77
AG
Nice panel for a 60 year old Comanche
CanyonAg77
AG
Not real sure why this guy posted on military, but you guys might enjoy. It's a discussion of a YouTube idiot who (in my opinion) faked a failed engine so he could film himself "parachuting to safety".

https://texags.com/forums/63/topics/3264781/replies/61243175
oragator
Aaaand then there's this guy.

https://apple.news/A3iz8mXIuRmeyFNqbtymRKg

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.