Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

229,645 Views | 1427 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by CharlieBrown17
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks. Other points still hold, I think.
CanyonAg77
AG
So, has anyone in the Burnet area heard about the FAA pulling a Bob Hoover on flight instructor Ken Wittekiend?

https://www.promarkaviation.net/about-us/ken-wittekiend/

TxAg20
AG
I fly into BMQ fairly often. I don't know Ken or Tres, but I believe my father does. I'll get Cody's (BMQ line guy) opinion next time I'm there.

My guess is he pissed off someone at the FSDO or the guy with the 149 mile XC flight had enough pull to get Ken's DPE pulled. I would be pretty unhappy about that and expect my instructor to challenge the DPE. Further, I would attempt to prove with ADS-B data that the flight ended up being more than 150 miles as it's impossible to fly the absolute shortest distance between 3 airports. 1/2 a pattern at 1 airport would have exceeded the 150 miles. All of this is as an experienced pilot. As a student pilot, I'm sure I would not have done anything to piss off the DPE before a check ride.

I'm glad I fly for personal reasons and not as a career. The pilot/instructor/FAA community has a disproportionate number of *******s who derive too much of their self-worth from labeling themselves a pilot.
CanyonAg77
AG
Did we watch the same video? The short XC was offered as an example of Ken's integrity.

The FAA claimed it based its decision on the webinar.

After Bob Hoover, I don't trust the FAA very much. Sounds like Ken is a stand up guy.
TxAg20
AG
We did watch the same video and I understand the explanation of the 149 mile XC. I also understand the FAA's stated reasons for pulling his DPE are for not better representing the FAA in a discussion about water skiing an airplane (Ken said nothing on the subject in a Zoom call where it was discussed) and drinking something that looked like wine on same Zoom call. I don't agree with the FAA's reasons for pulling his DPE, but based on the 149 mile XC story, I'm okay with him no longer being a DPE.

All I know about the situation is what Tres said in the video. Assuming the applicant met all qualifications for a check ride, I think it's BS that the DPE (Ken) derived that the applicant was unqualified based on a 149 mile XC (FAA requirement is 150 miles, 3 landings to a stop and at least 1 leg being over 50 nautical miles). Full text can be found in FAR 61.109. The 150 miles is not defined beyond "flight of 150 nautical miles total distance..." In the example he stated that Ken figured the flight at 149 miles and measuring to the other side of the airport would have come to 150 miles. I doubt the applicant actually flew 149 miles or fewer if the straight line distance was 149 miles and the regs say nothing in how to measure the distance beyond "total distance". This is a case of a DPE going out of his way to be a dick. If Ken was truly concerned with the distance he could have called the FSDO for clarification on the reg. That would at least shift the blame from him to the FAA.

I'm also not on the FAA's side. As a pilot, I deal with the FAA and people like Ken as little as possible. Neither have your, or my, best interest in mind. If you don't regard them in the way the 2 shills in the video do Ken, you are their enemy and they will look for ways to make your life tough. This sounds like the FAA is just extending Ken the same lack of grace he extended the 149 mile XC applicant and I'm okay with that.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The 149/150 debate sounds like one of those things you agree with your buddy out loud about when they complain but have lots of "you're an idiot" thoughts during the conversation.
Dumbdumb
Who is flying this weekend? I'm going H81-KIWS, KIWS-KFWS, then KFWS-H81. All in one day. Taking a T207 for avionics upgrade for a friend then jumping in a Comanche 250 for the return trip with a stop at KFWS for some Mexican food!
average_joker
AG
I'm working Friday to Monday with layovers in ROA, MDT, and GRR. On Monday I'll do some DCA flying which is usually entertaining.
TxAg20
AG
Flew MDD-DAL-MDD for a meeting this morning. The cooler temps are finally making their way down to Texas. Nothing higher than ISA +4 in the flight levels this morning.
TxAg20
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

The 149/150 debate sounds like one of those things you agree with your buddy out loud about when they complain but have lots of "you're an idiot" thoughts during the conversation.

I also thought "Why would anyone cut it that close?"

I've had the good fortune of flying as a hobby and means of transportation, so I was never really pinching pennies through my training. However, some of my student pilot peers were trying to work their way into pilot careers and were borrowing money and living hand-to-mouth while getting their ratings. I can see some of those guys trying to shave tenths of hours off their 172 rental and trying to find the bare minimum distance to complete the 150 mile XC. Those same guys were probably wearing 2nd hand David Clark's feeling like their head was in a vice and filling the ear holes with sweat. In that case, I'd be looking for the shortest route.
falcon09
AG
I was about to post that I was going to get to fly a local line tonight after getting out of COVID 'jail' a couple days ago. Just got a text that the flight was canceled. It was going to be a fun one too.

The plan was to beat up the pattern at Kona (PHKO), do an NVG low level around the island of Oahu and then NVG assault landing at John Rogers/Kalaeloa (PHJR).

At least I've got some sims next week. Maybe I can make it back into the real thing before Christmas.
Dumbdumb
Logged 7.3 hours today! I'm pooped! Highlight of the trip was stopping at KCPT and getting Del Norte Tacos!
src94
AG
Gate 12 will be fully open 12/10 at Easterwood. Went today for soft opening. Looks like a great menu (I had a Reuben, was damn good). Great atmosphere, dine overlooking the main runway.
src94
CanyonAg77
AG

Video of Bellanca Viking forced landing in Minnesota.

Engine failure, pilot was a member of a US aerobatic team at one time. Would have been a forced landing only, not a crash, if the SUV driver had realized the danger behind her and hit the gas.

Everyone is amazed that no one was seriously hurt. Anyone who knows Bellancas is not surprised. The things are built like a tank.

When I saw the N-number, I thought it sounded familiar. Close but no cigar. I have time looged in Viking 28061, this was 28067. Regarding 28061, I may have already posted this ancient video, of someone flying 28061 at levels far beyond what I ever did.

CaptnCarl
AG
Good for him for putting it down safely.
Oryx
After over a year of training every weekend, I finally tested for and passed my final FAA PPL-H checkride. Had a direct crosswind that kept making low level turbulence off the hangers but managed to push through.

I'm now a rated helicopter pilot.
dubi
average_joker
AG
Congrats! First check ride?
falcon09
AG
Congrats on the check ride! Helicopters are freaking voodoo magic.
CanyonAg77
AG
falcon09 said:

10,000 parts flying in tight formation
Oryx
Yep! Was my initial PPL.
src94
AG
Congrats! I hope to be able to get my rotor wing before too long.
src94
Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

falcon09 said:

One of my farmer cousins got certified to fly helicopters years ago. His comment, "It ain't like drivin' a grain truck where you can just stop on the side of the road if you gotta take a piss."
Aero95
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

falcon09 said:

And rotating around an oil leak!
Moy
Great Debbie Gary video! Finally, a YouTube video with music I enjoy, no rap crap. Thanks for posting!
dtdag
AG
Looking to start working on my PPL in Dallas. Any recommendations for instructors to reach out to?
TresPuertas
AG
TresPuertas
AG
Also,
Got up for the first time this weekend for 2 hours. Needless to say, I'm more in love than I thought I could be. I can see how this thing has gotten its hooks into y'all.

CharlieBrown17
AG
Egyptian coast a few days back

ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Following as I'm looking for the same.
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
dtdag said:

Looking to start working on my PPL in Dallas. Any recommendations for instructors to reach out to?

Looking for the same (Arlington preferred).
ArlingtonAg2015
AG
Looking to start working on my Private Pilot Certificate. Searching for an instructor in DFW (I'm in Arlington). Most of the flight schools cater to career pilot training, that's not what I'm interested in right now. Any recommendations on instructors, flight schools, flying clubs, etc greatly appreciated.
TravelAg2004
AG
dtdag said:

If you're willing to drive to Addison, I've got an instructor for you along with a plane. Let me know and I can send you his info. Both my brother and I did my instruction with him...although I had to stop shortly after soloing when we had our first kiddo.

Only downside is he works for a cargo carrier so he's only available 15 or so days a month. But he keeps his schedule online and you can check when he's available and reserve time. Very flexible and easy to work with.
AlaskanAg08
AG
If you haven't been to KCLL lately, the new Gate 12 restaurant is amazing. I've already flown up from Houston 4 times for dinner. Take your receipt with you after dinner and the Astin girls waive the ramp fee.
dtdag
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.