Outdoors
Sponsored by

Flying is outdoors

229,665 Views | 1427 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by CharlieBrown17
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Regarding the aircraft you fly, the only ones who know their aircraft before they ever fly are the Guard guys. They join a guard unit that flies F-16s, for instance. That's the plane he will get.
falcon09
AG
blindey said:

Cool thanks for the info. So how long do you commit for after flight school? Will you stay in the service until you effectively retire and then go get a gig with United or whatever?

And when you move from T-1/T-38, how is the aircraft you'll fly selected? And does it ever change?
Pilot training is a 10 year commitment after you graduate. CSO was 6 years.

What you do at the 10 year point is all up to you. You can jump ship to a civilian gig, "Palace Chase" or "Palace Front" to the Guard/Reserve (and still get that civilian gig) or hang on to Active Duty to 20.

When I finish my 10 year pilot commitment I'll be at over 17.5 years of service, so I plan on either sticking it out another 2.5 years or moving to Texas Air National Guard if I can swing an 'active' slot so I don't have to wait until I'm 60 to get my retirement.

About a month before you graduate you fill out a "Dream Sheet" where you rank your follow-on aircraft and base preferences. You flight commander then rank orders the whole class based on things like you flying grades, how you did on check rides and his/her own personal ranking. Then they start at the top of the rank list and see if that persons #1 is available. If not, they move on to #2, #3 or however far they need. There is also some assignment trading that happens between training bases. You find out what you'll be flying at a big party known as "drop night". You can find videos of drop nights on YouTube.

There are programs to switch between aircraft (C-17 to C-130 or B-52 to B-1) but I would say a majority of pilots stick with their first operational jet unless they move to a special program like U-2s, B-2s or VIP transport.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Again, thanks so much for the information. Really interesting for someone that just has a desk job.

So how do you get into one of the specialty programs like the B-2 or VIP?
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I'd say, and I would hope, seniority and merit. I know that new programs like the F-22 and F-35 were not getting anyone straight out of flight school when they began. I seem to recall it being a pretty big deal when they began dropping them for new pilots.
dubi
AG
And we have lift off!

aggieforester05
AG
Do any of ya'll practice out of GGG? I watch T-38s and T-1s practice a lot here.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Triple G is more common for the Vance guys I think or the instructor school at Randolph. We use it as a stop over from Mississippi to Texas. Actually saw Bush 41 there and had a nice local buy dinner for my table at T Blancos because we were in uniform. Love coming home

At least Columbus drop/assignment night (formal name) is the only big event now, everyone tracks as they progress through individually not as a class like in the past.
aggieforester05
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Triple G is more common for the Vance guys I think or the instructor school at Randolph. We use it as a stop over from Mississippi to Texas. Actually saw Bush 41 there and had a nice local buy dinner for my table at T Blancos because we were in uniform. Love coming home

At least Columbus drop/assignment night (formal name) is the only big event now, everyone tracks as they progress through individually not as a class like in the past.
That's cool, I was at the Bush 41 event there when I was a kid too. Also saw the space shuttle on top of a 747 there many years ago. I'm one of the former owner's of T. Blanco's, the pilots eat in there all the time. Watching the T-38s rip out of there never gets old. The T1s fly pretty aggressive for what looks like a business jet, so that's always a little surprising at first glance. It's mostly air force T-38s, but every once in awhile there's a NASA T-38, and I've seen marine and navy as well. The occasional B-3, T-45, T6, F18, and C-130 too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
The T-1 is overflown by us IMO

It's a business jet designed for short fields in japan that we bought to teach multi engine and crew basics in but the fleet is not aging well because it's not designed to do what we do with it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
B-2s is a know someone assignment from the fighter world. Doesn't happen out of pilot training.

The C-21 (baby business jet) VIP gig drops out of pilot training but the big VIP guys come from knowing people in the heavy world
CanyonAg77
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

The T-1 is overflown by us IMO

It's a business jet designed for short fields in japan that we bought to teach multi engine and crew basics in but the fleet is not aging well because it's not designed to do what we do with it.
100 takeoffs and landings a day?

I understand they're getting tired (like the T-38 isn't) but the 38 had a replacement coming. Haven't heard about one for the Tone, though it needs one.

I'm a little surprised they let you guys fly as far as Texas. I don't think they'd let the T-6s and T-38s go more than a few driving hours away from Columbus, so the plots could drive back in case of a breakdown.

We did get to see our favorite pilot in Amarillo a couple of times. Once out of San Antone for instructor pilot training, and once when CB sent a four ship to do flyovers for USAFA graduation.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Out and backs (flight out, stop and gas, fly home) are limited to 400 miles I think.

I've been to Texas in the T-6 and T-1 on cross country
CharlieBrown17
AG
And yeah, it was designed to take off, cruise enroute and do one to a full stop.

Touch and goes and some of the low level stuff we do creates issues with the airframe
CanyonAg77
AG
I don't remember the distance when daughter was there. I know she made it to Eglin a time or two, and Memphis a few times, because some of the instructors were reserve/guard guys with FedEx and knew all the good places to eat.

She did make it to CLL on one T-6 XC that happened to coincide with A&M/Bama. The other pilot was a Bama grad. It also included a flyover at a little air show in between. They were almost late to the game because the Air Show was running late.
egh9203
Congrats, you will not regret it. Got my ticket in 08, lots of fun. I've got a PA-24 fast and fun..
CharlieBrown17
AG
The ground guys at Macdill weren't very creative with how they parked us for the Wx evac I was a part of this week. Just a line of magnificent Jayhawks

CenterHillAg
AG
Got a new plane this fall, turbine Ag Cat. Same exact plane as my 450 hp radial Cat, only with a larger chemical hopper and a turbine. While it's no T6, it has a best power to weight ratio of any plane I've flown, 3300 lbs and 680 hp. It's a rocket!

CanyonAg77
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I realize that turbine is the way to go, but they sound like sewing machines crossing the field. They don't have the romance of a growling radial you can hear start up from five miles away.
CenterHillAg
AG
They also don't get phone calls to the sheriffs department from 5 miles in every direction, there's a couple farming communities that are glad they won't be hearing a round engine anymore. I've had people tell me they can hear me fly the entire load from 12 miles away.

I think the R985 is one of the best engines ever built, designed in 1927 and it still has no equal in its class. I'm keeping my 450 Cat, it's the best handling plane I've flown. It'll still be used occasionally.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I mean my wife gives me dirty looks when I let one out but I've never had a neighbor call the cops when I'm crop dusting.
CharlieBrown17
AG
That's a neat looking ride, I'd trade you for a few hours if they let me!
CanyonAg77
AG
One of my pet peeves, people who move to farm country and get upset that farming occurs. To keep with the subject of this thread, that also goes to people who move near airports or military installations and complain about aviation
CenterHillAg
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Just drop on in to KARM and we'll swap out. I'll be the idiot on the ramp in a denim shirt and jeans wearing a flight helmet.
Post removed:
by user
aggieforester05
AG
ATC salary must be good, because they appear to be rolling in the dough.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CenterHillAg said:

CharlieBrown17 said:

Just drop on in to KARM and we'll swap out. I'll be the idiot on the ramp in a denim shirt and jeans wearing a flight helmet.

Only if you bring a spare Canadian tuxedo for me too
CanyonAg77
AG
Since we need more pics, here's one I picked because it's hard to actually see any identifying characteristics of my favorite pilot. A&M/Bama game 2017, toward the end of her T-6 FAIP tour. She did an airshow flyover, and then she and the other pilot (Bama grad) came on to CLL for a XC.

If you look close, you can see Kyle Field right past the spinner, behind the other pilot's head.

The FBO let the whole family go out to parking and see her off, and my three great nieces got a close up tour of the T-6. A very cool event, I hope they appreciate what a unique opportunity that was.

CanyonAg77
AG
blindey said:

Again, thanks so much for the information. Really interesting for someone that just has a desk job.

So a bit of an update from my favorite pilot. The answer is pretty much, "depends on the needs of the Air Force". Currently, non-fighter guys are coming back to instruct on T-38s, which does not meet with her approval. Osprey guys sometimes go T-1 track, sometimes helo. She has heard of guys dropping B-2 straight out of UPT, which was unheard of years ago, and CB17 thought did not happen.

Strange times and pilot shortages....
aggieforester05
AG
B 2 would be awesome, although, I imagine the seat time is very limited.
CanyonAg77
AG
aggieforester05 said:

B 2 would be awesome, although, I imagine the seat time is very limited.
I'm pretty sure they use T-38s to get stick time and maintain proficiency, and probably a lot of simulators. T-38s are fun, so there is that.

And when you do get a mission, it's often 24 hours at a time.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'm guessing they are members of the mile high club?!? Probably go there often. And I'm jealous.
texagdoc
AG
Since you want more pics, here is a sweet shot of my current ride!

aggieforester05
AG
850? Do want!
dubi
AG
texagdoc said:

Since you want more pics, here is a sweet shot of my current ride!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.