Outdoors
Sponsored by

BGE or Kmado Joe

25,379 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blahhead
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've not seen it except the one time I came across the remains of the road show.
StringerBell
AG
Kamodo on sale at Home Depot http://m.homedepot.com/s/Kamado%2520Professional%2520Ceramic%2520Charcoal%2520Grill?NCNI-5&AID=11210757&PID=806314&SID=1v8c45470fc267489f40defaddb9440339&cm_mmc=CJ-_-806314-_-11210757&cj=true
12th Man Ag
AG
Just picked up an XL BGE for $1199. Added the convEGGtor, ash tool, and table nest for a total price of $1500 after taxes. Free delivery, assembly, and setup.
Allen76
AG
Congratulations! You won't regret it. Sometimes I wish my L was an XL.
hurricanejake02
AG
So this weekend is both Space City Eggfest and Kamado Joe Roadshow at the Pearland Costco....

Decisions, decisions...
schmendeler
AG
has anyone done the "deal" at the Costco shows? what all goes into that? seems like it has potential to be a sweet get.
reddog90
AG
it's a grill, cover, and box of firestarters in a package deal. 30# bags of charcoal on sale as well.

My haul last night:

Edit: photobucket sucks
schmendeler
AG
reddog90 said:

it's a grill, cover, and box of firestarters in a package deal. 30# bags of charcoal on sale as well.

My haul last night:

Edit: photobucket sucks
thanks for the pics, good stuff! however I was referring to what I've seen on the kamado joe forums talking about getting their demo units from the road show.
schmendeler
AG
one question, will they help you put it in your car? I understand you're on your own when you get home, but I can't imagine getting that in the back of the vehicle by myself (or with the wife's help).
reddog90
AG
The "demo deal" is buying the floor demo unit Big joe package, and they give you the floor demo unit joe junior for free. None of it is cooked on obviously, but it has been assembled and touched by everyone coming through costco, there are some scratches inside the fire box from the KJ rep moving the firebox divider around, and you have to transport it home assembled without breaking it. I was going to wait until the Katy roadshow and get the demo unit and got impatient and worried about getting it home assembled and unloading it assembled without breaking anything.

The KJ rep grabbed a couple Costco employees to help us get it in the back of my truck. I had to call three friends over to get it out of my truck in my garage at home. It's a big sturdy box and the SOB is heavy. The grill can be lifted into the cart after unboxing with two guys with some effort. A third guy makes it easy
schmendeler
AG
reddog90 said:

The "demo deal" is buying the floor demo unit Big joe package, and they give you the floor demo unit joe junior for free. None of it is cooked on obviously, but it has been assembled and touched by everyone coming through costco, there are some scratches inside the fire box from the KJ rep moving the firebox divider around, and you have to transport it home assembled without breaking it. I was going to wait until the Katy roadshow and get the demo unit and got impatient and worried about getting it home assembled and unloading it assembled without breaking anything.

The KJ rep grabbed a couple Costco employees to help us get it in the back of my truck. I had to call three friends over to get it out of my truck in my garage at home. It's a big sturdy box and the SOB is heavy. The grill can be lifted into the cart after unboxing with two guys with some effort. A third guy makes it easy
good info! thanks! I've got my eye on the classic, so hopefully it won't be quite as much of a PITA.
lotsofhp
AG
I just bought an XL BGE at a cook off where I got a once used egg at a discounted price.

If I was buying a Ceramic grill at off the shelf price, I would have gone with the KJ. I like the new oven style seal, the new hinge (real nice) and the top adjuster better on the KJ.

That said I've been having a blast with my egg.

Get yourself a ceramic grill and get cooking!
Jason Ag
AG
Does the warranty transfer?
lotsofhp
AG
oldarmyag08 said:

Does the warranty transfer?

Yes, it was an event put on by a distributor
TX_AG_10
AG
I know it's not a KJ or BGE, but Amazon is having a deal on the CharGriller Akorn Kamado cooker. It's close in size to the large BGE and it's $260 via Prime.

http://a.co/h6yV3BA
'03ag
That's a pretty good deal, and I've been considering getting a 2nd one. I suspect there might be slightly better deals around Memorial Day?
khkman22
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

I know it's not a KJ or BGE, but Amazon is having a deal on the CharGriller Akorn Kamado cooker. It's close in size to the large BGE and it's $260 via Prime.

They are matching Home Depot's price. May be easier to pick it up if it is in stock at your store.
agcrock2005
AG
khkman22 said:

TX_AG_10 said:

They are matching Home Depot's price. May be easier to pick it up if it is in stock at your store.
SAVE RETAIL...boycott Amazon!
NColoradoAG
Taking an adjustable rig from Ceramic Grill Store on its maiden voyage tonight.

Juicyfan
That is the rig I have, and I love it. What all are you cooking?
TXAGFAN
AG
I have a bunch of their stuff for my L and XL, the raised grid was a game changer for my chicken cooking.
lotsofhp
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I have a bunch of their stuff for my L and XL, the raised grid was a game changer for my chicken cooking.

Are you talking about raised to the felt line or the one higher than that?

How does it make the chicken so much better?
TXAGFAN
AG
I do chicken on both racks above felt like, I just find the chicken is crispier skin without being burnt. Hard to do with platesetter or on the fire ring.
hurricanejake02
AG
Came home with the floor model Classic Joe tonight... Can't wait to get it fired up this week
schmendeler
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Came home with the floor model Classic Joe tonight... Can't wait to get it fired up this week

Price? 2017 model?
hurricanejake02
AG
2017 Model - It seems they're not discounting the floor models like I thought they used to, so much as they're throwing in some additional items.

$969 or so for the 18", and they threw in 2 bags of charcoal, cover, box of firestarters, and the dutch oven. Walk out price after tax roughly $1,050.
normaleagle05
AG
I succumbed to the sale I posted about on Saturday. I picked up a large BGE as a package deal.

Large BGE
Plate setter
Nest
Ash tool
Grill gripper
10lb bag of BGE lump
Box of BGE fore starter
$931.42 out the door. I think it was a decent buy.

Rule No. 1

The Egg

Bad pic of a good burger.
normaleagle05
AG
Damn you tinypic. Crane your necks. Not fixing the rotation on my phone.
adamsbq06
AG
I highly recommend you look at BBQ Guru
https://www.bbqguru.com/
jbanda
AG
Is this the deal for a demo egg from the eggfest?
normaleagle05
AG
jbanda said:

Is this the deal for a demo egg from the eggfest?

No. This was a brand new egg from a retailer in Plano. I posted a PSA thread on Saturday. It was that deal. They had demo eggs out there and a BGE sunshine pumper on site, but they weren't selling used eggs. The three they were cooking on had seen a lot of use.

I'm not sure it's the best deal that ever happened but I'm pretty pleased with it. And that's what matters.
normaleagle05
AG
Some temperature controls are in my future for sure.
NColoradoAG
normaleagle05 said:

Some temperature controls are in my future for sure.

Go ahead and get a Looftlighter too
NColoradoAG
Juicyfan said:

That is the rig I have, and I love it. What all are you cooking?

I ran 2 pork butts, an 8lb brisket flat, 2 racks of baby backs, 2 racks of spares, and 2 turkey breasts through it.

Started the shoulders at 10pm and then put the brisket on at 1am and went to bed. Woke up at 6am and wrapped all that in pink paper and finished in a 250 degree oven. Put the spares on at 630 on the bottom rack and the baby backs and turkey on the top rack.

Everything turned out great. Really like that rig and its built to last. The only tough part was the thermometer. It was hitting the pork butts with the lid closed. I rotated them so it was able to slip between them, but was still reading off. Same with the turkey. However, that rig is so easy to remove and i was able to clip my guru probe on a good spot and just use that.

Thats actually the first time ive had my guru out of the box since i got an Egg. And i only used the thermometer function. Even with this long cook and all I didnt need the fan. Held 250-270 for 14 hours.
schmendeler
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

2017 Model - It seems they're not discounting the floor models like I thought they used to, so much as they're throwing in some additional items.

$969 or so for the 18", and they threw in 2 bags of charcoal, cover, box of firestarters, and the dutch oven. Walk out price after tax roughly $1,050.
nice, that's right what I'm wanting to budget. I like.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.