Outdoors
Sponsored by

BGE or Kmado Joe

25,370 Views | 214 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blahhead
AggieMPH2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed to Costco to buy the knockoff. The price was too much to resist. The plan is to have the initial burn tomorrow and cook on it this weekend. If it sucks I can always return it.
schmendeler
AG
Salt of the water said:

reddog90 said:

schmendeler said:

is the Costco circuit annual, semi-annual, quarterly? I happened to come across the tail end of the one near me but it was all sold out, essentially.
Wondering this as well.
They seem to come through the major metro areas like Houston or Dallas about quarterly, but they constantly change the schedule (add / remove locations or shorten a stop at certain stores) so your best bet is to just watch costco's site for updates.
https://www.costco.com/kamado-joe-schedule.html

Thanks!
reddog90
AG
So joe is the answer here?
schmellba99
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

Headed to Costco to buy the knockoff. The price was too much to resist. The plan is to have the initial burn tomorrow and cook on it this weekend. If it sucks I can always return it.
Word of advice -

Whatever amount of charcoal you think you need to put in there for your initial burn, cut it in half. Trust me.

Oh, and you can get Nomex replacement gaskets off of Amazon for pretty cheap. Easy to install too. Trust me.
reddog90
AG
What kind of pricing can you expect on a big joe at a costco road show?
aggiechugger
AG
The 2017 Big Joe with all the new improvements is $1499 at the roadshow.
12th Man Ag
AG
You can get the Big Joe at Cabela's for $1299.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/outdoor-cooking/grills|/pc/104798880/c/104754780/sc/104201280/kamado-joe-classic-red-grill/2509708.uts
khkman22
AG
12th Man Ag said:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home-cabin/outdoor-cooking/grills|/pc/104798880/c/104754780/sc/104201280/kamado-joe-classic-red-grill/2509708.uts
I wonder what the Roadshow grills include that this one doesn't. I still don't want to pay that much for one, but I may have to beg for forgiveness later.
jbanda
AG
Anyone ever pick up a demo egg from an eggfest? The one in spring has them. Large eggs are $850+tax and XLs are $1125+tax.

Comes with

All packages include:
Big Green Egg
Egg Nest (Stand)
ConvEGGtor
Ash Tool
Grill Gripper
20lb bag of charcoal
1 box of starter cubes
Lifetime Limited Warranty

jbanda
AG
http://spacecityeggfest.com/pre-order-demo-egg/
reddog90
AG
I just called, KJ will have a roadshow August 8-13 at Costco on Richmond in Houston. Also one in Dallas on June 30.

Big Joe Roadshow price of $1499, includes grill cover and box of fire starters. Can also buy 2 bags of charcoal for $30.
schmendeler
AG
reddog90 said:

I just called, KJ will have a roadshow August 8-13 at Costco on Richmond in Houston. Also one in Dallas on June 30.

Big Joe Roadshow price of $1499, includes grill cover and box of fire starters. Can also buy 2 bags of charcoal for $30.
good info, thanks
RebelE Infantry
AG
FYI- it's now one 30# bag for $22. The lump size is larger with the new stuff.
12th Man Ag
AG
khkman22 said:

12th Man Ag said:

I wonder what the Roadshow grills include that this one doesn't. I still don't want to pay that much for one, but I may have to beg for forgiveness later.
The cover and 2 bags of charcoal at Cabela's is $120. Still keeps it under the $1499 price. I am putting this thing in an outdoor kitchen, so hoping I can find one cheaper than even $1299 because I don't need the nest and side shelves.
reddog90
AG
What all online retailers sell KJ? I have found BBQguys, and they have a Big Joe for $1899, comes with a heat deflector, grate gripper, and ash tool. Ships from their warehouse in 4-6 weeks. This doesn't seem like a good deal, especially compared to Cabelas.

I thought the gripper and ash tool came with every KJ?
12th Man Ag
AG
https://shop.texasstarfoods.com/category.sc?categoryId=28 $1599.

Looks like the Cabela's price is the best I can find so far. Even adding in the cover and charcoal, it is cheaper than the Costco Road Show.
khkman22
AG
12th Man Ag said:

Looks like the Cabela's price is the best I can find so far. Even adding in the cover and charcoal, it is cheaper than the Costco Road Show.
Unless it's just an outdated picture, that is last year's model.
reddog90
AG
http://www.cabelas.com/product/KAMADO-JOE-CLASSIC-RED-GRILL/2509708.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dkamado%2Bjoe

So a Big Joe at Cabelas is $1299, plus $63 for a cover on Amazon. What's the big deal about the road shows?
12th Man Ag
AG
khkman22 said:

12th Man Ag said:

Unless it's just an outdated picture, that is last year's model.
Are you talking about the Cabela's pic or the Texas Star Foods pic? Looking at the KJ site and the Cabela's pic looks the same to me. What has changed for 2017?
reddog90
AG
There is a new hinge and chimney on the 2017 models, I don't know what else. The Cabela's picture shows a 2017 model, the texas star foods shows the older version.
John1248
AG
harleyds2 said:

PrimoXL

This
12th Man Ag
AG
reddog90 said:

There is a new hinge and chimney on the 2017 models, I don't know what else. The Cabela's picture shows a 2017 model, the texas star foods shows the older version.

Well, in that case, I will be ordering from Cabela's soon.
schmendeler
AG
How are they selling it for so cheap?
reddog90
AG
Idk. I called today and confirmed it was the 2017 model and the price is right.
khkman22
AG
12th Man Ag said:

khkman22 said:

12th Man Ag said:

The cover and 2 bags of charcoal at Cabela's is $120. Still keeps it under the $1499 price. I am putting this thing in an outdoor kitchen, so hoping I can find one cheaper than even $1299 because I don't need the nest and side shelves.
I figured the Roadshows would be about the best price you could get so I'm not sure you could find it cheaper than the $1,299. And since everything comes in the box pre-packaged, I'm not sure how you would purchase without the nest and shelves. But I would like to do the same because I would prefer to build a table if I got one.
shovel pass
AG
Cabela's changed the description of the $1299 grill from Big Joe to Classic II. That explains the seemingly low price.
12th Man Ag
AG
shovel pass said:

Cabela's changed the description of the $1299 grill from Big Joe to Classic II. That explains the seemingly low price.

And now they are crazy overpriced! I can get a Classic for $999 at Texas Star Grills.
schmendeler
AG
12th Man Ag said:

shovel pass said:

And now they are crazy overpriced! I can get a Classic for $999 at Texas Star Grills.
the II part is key.
schmendeler
AG
shovel pass said:

that makes much more sense now.
reddog90
AG
schmendeler said:

shovel pass said:

Wtf. I called Cabelas in League City yesterday and the lady in the grill section confirmed it was a 2017 Big Joe for $1299.
khkman22
AG
reddog90 said:

schmendeler said:

shovel pass said:

Wtf. I called Cabelas in League City yesterday and the lady in the grill section confirmed it was a 2017 Big Joe for $1299.
The description and specs are that of the Big Joe. I'm sure it's the Classic though. Would be surprised to see someone sell the Big Joe but not the Classic.

Drive to League City and check it out just so everyone knows what to expect.
schmendeler
AG
reddog90 said:

schmendeler said:

shovel pass said:

there's your problem.
reddog90
AG
Lol she actually sounded knowledgeable about the grill when I was asking questions to make sure it was a 2017 big joe.
lotsofhp
AG
Just picked up a XL BGE from BBQ outfitters in San Antonio.

They're doing an event this weekend where they have a bunch of cooks who will be using brand new XL BGE and you can buy one of the once used eggs. XL BGE with nest for $1090. I thought it's a pretty good deal.

If they hadn't been running this deal, I would have gone with the kamado joe. I like their new hinge a lot and I like how the ash falls into a little scoop you can just take out instead of raking the ashes into a bucket or something. I also like their new top adjuster.
reddog90
AG
Does Costco sell KJ all the time? Anyone know the regular price, not at a road show?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.