Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,849 Views | 7034 Replies | Last: 42 min ago by ABATTBQ87
STX Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
hope it wasnt 11", there is quite a lot of wheat out that way that is ready to be harvested.

SW of Uvalde is showing 8-10" in some spots
All of that will hit the Nueces and miss Choke. Lake Mathis (Corpus Christi) is going to fill, but that is still not the major one for Corpus and the rest of the region's water supply. COE will probably piss half of that away to insure fresh water flow for the whooping cranes and the bays.
Choke is going to catch some water. The storm we are getting right now hammered the shed just above the lake. The flow charts for Frio at Tilden and San Miguel are both spiking. Not lake filling water, but definitely enough to raise it a little.
dodger02
AG
This updates reservoir levels daily:

Texas Reservoir Levels
farmer2010
AG
Looks like the Frio rose over 6 feet today near Uvalde:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08197500&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00062,72020,00054

NWS is predicting flooding near Derby this weekend:

http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwacapget.php?x=TX1253A84BF088.FloodWarning.1253A878E200TX.EWXFLWEWX.bfd1cb5411dac84e45542ff177f3cacb
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
This updates reservoir levels daily:

Texas Reservoir Levels
That site doesn't account for lakes that are at flood pool.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Kenneth, I saw that gauge reading and didn't know if it was right. USGS said that the max previous historical value was something like 500 cfs?
I downloaded the historical data for that guage. Detailed records dont seem to go back that far, but there's a 19,800cfs event shown in 2007.

Either way, with the magnitude and intensity of the cell that moved through today, I feel pretty confident that we'll see a rise on the Frio and Choke Canyon.

Odd though that it's only reporting this flow as being in the 91 percentile.
STX Ag
AG
Yeah, you're right, on second glance what I saw was the 68 cfs max historical value for this date, May 15.
B-1 83
AG
2 inches In abot 45 minutes and a tornado nearby.
Sean98
AG
We must have gotten some rain up-watershed today although we're dry. My local Clinton Reservoir is officially 1" above conservation pool, so that's the first time this decade it's been "full" (and our average local rainfall is 38" - historically it is above pool more than below).

While it didn't help me personally with rain, the lake being full is a good thing overall.
techno-ag
AG
Thank God the lakes & reservoirs are finally filling up. We're climbing out of this drought statewide.
PANHANDLE10
Lots and lots of rain today.
Swarely
Was literally about to walk out the door to my first sprint triathlon in Gruene when I got a call from the race director saying that it has been cancelled due to flash flooding! Sucks for me, and everyone else that I saw camping yesterday; but good for the lakes!

carpe vinum
AG
Oh look, more rain.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Looks like today will start off another round of rain for south Texas. Glad this one will hit the hill country again. That is the only part of the state that has much recordable drought right now according to the drought monitor. I'm afraid the amount and frequency of rain we have had is going to be detrimental to the cotton crop. Lots of water = shallow roots = little to no heat tolerance
Tressels Vest
AG
quote:
Looks like today will start off another round of rain for south Texas. Glad this one will hit the hill country again. That is the only part of the state that has much recordable drought right now according to the drought monitor. I'm afraid the amount and frequency of rain we have had is going to be detrimental to the cotton crop. Lots of water = shallow roots = little to no heat tolerance

How much heat is too much for tolerance? El Nino typically means cooler than normal temperatures. A few of the last El Ninos (2004 and 2007) were cooler summers.
DripAG08
AG
Really solid rain so far in Dripping. Rain guage has another 1.5" in it.
Vernada
AG
POURING in New Braunfels right now.
PhiAggie
AG
BCS getting dumped on, and this is just the front end of the storm!

What's the word on the Edwards aquifer? How close is it to full?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
In normal south Texas summers when it is 95+ full sun and no rain the plants are usually fine because they didn't get much rain before hand either. However without an adequate root system it isn't so much heat but heat coupled without rain. So if it is 90 degrees in full sun without rain for a week you might start having problems with wilt now. It isn't that the soil is depleted of moisture but that the plant lacks the ability to mine for the water. It if were to rain every other day the plants could survive normal summer temps. But once the first few inches of soil starts to dry out, and with several growing plants out there it won't take long, then you will start running into problems. I should have said can't handle being dry instead of the heat, but heat and wind make it worse. The south east had problems with this in 2013 where their cotton wilted really quickly in the summer because they were very wet early season.
Kenneth_2003
AG
^
|
|
|
So it's just like our lawns in that respect....

Went to bed and they were d saying 20% chance of rain. I wake up and they at 90%.
p-wonk01
AG
2 1/4 in Dallas bear White Rock Lake last night (about 3 hours)
GottaRide
S
quote:
BCS getting dumped on, and this is just the front end of the storm!

What's the word on the Edwards aquifer? How close is it to full?
The J27 well in Uvalde shows to be 627 feet this morning. It was at 624 last week. That is still about 40 feet below average. That said, there has been some controversy about measurements of that well over the years.
Sean98
AG
2.4" last night at my house. Big winning for us locally. Hard enough to get some runoff so it's really helping the local ponds and lakes.
tree91
AG
Too much of a good thing? Hay crops are almost gone.
PhiAggie
AG
Mom says Brazos is near cresting...that can't be right. She crossed it this morning.
agsalaska
AG
Lake Grapevine is 11 feet over its banks and has flooded out a lot of the parks around the lake. I was out there yesterday morning. I will try to post some pics if I can figure it out.
Sean98
AG
Looks like most of D/FW west to Abilene and SW towards Midland is scheduled for another 5"+ over the next week.
PFG
AG
Just moved to NB. The welcoming committee ordered quite the storm.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
https://8245forecast.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/o-chris-farley-el-nino-facebook.jpg
The Fall Guy
AG
4.5 inches in Kyle Tx here in Hays County.

Beautiful wet stuff
Doc Hayworth
The Edwards is 40-50 feet below where it should be this time of year. It will take a lot more rain like this for it to fully recover.
PhiAggie
AG

Frio at the bridge...both ways.
BBDP
AG
Need a break from the rain to get the wheat in. Its getting close to sprouting in the heads. Would be a disaster.

Such a balance; don't know how a farmer/rancher could be an atheist. So much could go wrong but it almost always works out.

carpe vinum
AG
Rain is good and all, but don't plants need sun?
Lungblood

Colorado River at Columbus a half hour ago
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Lake Grapevine is 11 feet over its banks and has flooded out a lot of the parks around the lake. I was out there yesterday morning. I will try to post some pics if I can figure it out.

Damn please do!
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.