Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rain is outdoors.....

1,262,860 Views | 7034 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by ABATTBQ87
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My in-laws in Waring said the Guadalupe is over the road there. And their renters in Pipe Creek near Bandera can't get out because the Medina is way over the banks there. Especially the low-water crossing at English Crossing Rd.

And a buddy posted pics of the Guad above Canyon Lake being way, way up.

Hopefully this will really help Medina Lake.

Is this rain falling where it will help the Highland Lakes?
Tressels Vest
AG
quote:
In normal south Texas summers when it is 95+ full sun and no rain the plants are usually fine because they didn't get much rain before hand either. However without an adequate root system it isn't so much heat but heat coupled without rain. So if it is 90 degrees in full sun without rain for a week you might start having problems with wilt now. It isn't that the soil is depleted of moisture but that the plant lacks the ability to mine for the water. It if were to rain every other day the plants could survive normal summer temps. But once the first few inches of soil starts to dry out, and with several growing plants out there it won't take long, then you will start running into problems. I should have said can't handle being dry instead of the heat, but heat and wind make it worse. The south east had problems with this in 2013 where their cotton wilted really quickly in the summer because they were very wet early season.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
AgLA06
AG
Which bridge?
p_bubel
quote:
A weak El Nio pattern has fueled spring storms, giving Texas badly needed relief from a nearly five-year drought that had begun to rival a record event of the 1950s, the only one in memory to cause Comal Springs in New Braunfels to run dry. The rain also has provided at least a fleeting moral victory for people near Medina Lake, which has risen 10 feet in the past month, according to the Texas Water Development Board.

The National Weather Service has reported rainfall since April 1 near the lake of more than 7 inches in Hondo and 12 inches in Bandera
County.

"The river is running good, and the lake is coming up," Crandall said. "Everyone is very, very happy about this."The lake, with a porous bottom contributing to the Edwards Aquifer, has become the drought's most striking symbol, offering stark images of a vanishing reservoir. The San Antonio Water System stopped drawing from the lake two years ago, primarily out of concern about water quality issues such as algae growth and carbon compounds. Medina Lake was 6.4 percent full Sunday afternoon, up from 2.8 percent a year ago, with more than twice the amount of water, at 16,252 acre-feet, or about 5.3 billion gallons. But it was still nearly 80 feet below normal. Canyon Lake was 84 percent full Sunday, up more than 3 feet from a month ago but still nearly 8 feet low.

Aside from green grass and a spike in mosquitoes, little has changed in San Antonio during the wet spring. SAWS continues to enforce once-a-week restrictions on watering with sprinklers. The area remains in Stage 2 of the Edwards Aquifer Authority's critical period plan, after having been in Stage 1 from April 29 to May 10. The aquifer's J-17 index well was at 651.9 feet above sea level Sunday, up nearly 14 feet from a year ago but still nearly 14 feet below the well's historical May
average.The J-27 index well in Uvalde, which fluctuates more slowly, was at 827.4 feet Sunday, its highest level in nearly 10 months, but 40 feet below average for May. Uvalde County remains in Stage 5, the most stringent level in the EAA's critical period plan, with a mandated 44 percent reduction in permitted pumping.
Express News (Paywall)
Smithjg
quote:
Early Monday morning in the span of a mile in Muenster, one side of town got 4" and the other got ~2.5". Had some flooding and one lake is back to full and the other had gone over the road.
Daniel, do you live in Muenster? My sister and brother-in-law live there. She is Beth Bartush...
tmaggies
AG
Austin County getting hammered.
txaggie_08
AG
quote:
Is this rain falling where it will help the Highland Lakes?

Lake Buchanan has risen about 7 inches in the past 7 days, just under a foot over the last month. This rain is helping a little, but it's not a huge stride considering the lake is down over 30 feet.

Lake Travis has risen about 2.5 feet in the last week, and over 4 feet in the past 30 days.
B-1 83
AG
Lake Corpus Christi (Mathis) is opening the gates. If only they had to do the same at Choke.... Choke is due to catch a solid 10 feet or so, which is major.
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
quote:
Early Monday morning in the span of a mile in Muenster, one side of town got 4" and the other got ~2.5". Had some flooding and one lake is back to full and the other had gone over the road.
Daniel, do you live in Muenster? My sister and brother-in-law live there. She is Beth Bartush...
I do live in Muenster. I haven't met Beth though.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Muenster

Great town and great area. Germanfest is cool.
AggieChemist
AG
El Nino has officially been declared. It might even be a "super El Nino". Tejas should be in for some good douching rains for the next couple years.
Keegan99
AG
quote:
El Nino has officially been declared. It might even be a "super El Nino". Tejas should be in for some good douching rains for the next couple years.

Not doubting, but happen to have a good link on this?
aggielostinETX
AG
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/05/16/wow-ecmwf-long-term-weather-model-is-predicting-a-super-el-nino-and-i-mean-super/

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/17/el-nino-california-drought-rainfall-reservoirs/

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/stranger-and-stranger-is-el-nino-2015-in-for-the-long-haul/51103/

AC might be hiding from the 'Bola.
Aggie_3
Canyon lake is up 3.5 feet in just the last day and half its officially above the level necesarry to open all of the public boat ramps!!!!!
Aggie_3
And medina is up another 1.7 percent over the last 5 hours! Slowly but surely we are making progress!
STX Ag
AG
quote:
Lake Corpus Christi (Mathis) is opening the gates. If only they had to do the same at Choke.... Choke is due to catch a solid 10 feet or so, which is major.

Where did you hear that about choke? Certainly, I'm no expert, but watching all the water in the system, I would expect more like 3-4'.
Keegan99
AG
harge57
AG
If that turns out to be remotely accurate. Possum Kingdom will be full.
carpe vinum
AG
wow, love the rain but carpe milkum is getting acute cabin fever.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:

Where did you hear that about choke? Certainly, I'm no expert, but watching all the water in the system, I would expect more like 3-4'.
I heard 3-4' after last Friday's rains. The latest figure came after Sunday's rains. Not scientific, just a local yokel talking.
Lungblood
5" in west end of Austin co over the last 36 hrs or so
PFG
AG
Every bow hunter in TX will need a Thermacell this season.
Aggie_3
God that will be amazing we just need to keep getting these systems
STX Ag
AG
Gotcha. We'll see.
Tressels Vest
AG
quote:
quote:

Not doubting, but happen to have a good link on this?
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf
agfan2013
AG
glad that areas are getting out of drought status but agree with who ever it was a page or two back said that this is hurting the farmers pretty bad. Need it to stop for a bit so they can get wheat out before too much sprouts. A couple of guys werent able to plant cotton either this year since it never dried down enough in their areas.
Aggie_3
Hopefully the farmers have good crop insurance becuase this year is most likely going to be a massive wash for them as its not going to stop raining anytime soon long enough to dry out.
AgLA06
AG
And since they often times rely on irrigation water, they'll most likely understand needing to recharge our water sources.
Swarely
All the talk about El Nio in this thread is making me really miss Chris Farley

AG
Medina is up nearly 20 feet in the last month. still down about 72' but at 40' down it is full enough to be enjoyed. BRING ON THE RAIN!!!

And by the way the Edwards J-17 well in San Antonio is at 654' which is only about 12' below average.
fightingfarmer09

Praying for the river to stay in the banks this week. Brazos river in Austin County. Still rising. Banks are normally 50 ft tall, probably 10 foot at this point.

Cows prepped and ready. They can smell the water.
Smithjg
quote:
quote:
quote:
Holy crap, I had no idea that there was anyone within 20 miles that didn't know Beth! She teaches at Sacred Heart and has four boys, all grown now. When you do meet her, tell her that her brother says hello!

Back to the OP, here in Victoria, we have gotten 20+ inches spread out over the last 7 weeks. It has come in almost perfect increments for us. I'm hoping the giant sinkhole my house is falling into will correct itself and
Spare my house.
dodger02
AG
Most farmers I know only have insurance to recoup their planting costs. That's still going to be a significant hit to their pocketbooks.
AgsMnn
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Holy crap, I had no idea that there was anyone within 20 miles that didn't know Beth! She teaches at Sacred Heart and has four boys, all grown now. When you do meet her, tell her that her brother says hello!

Back to the OP, here in Victoria, we have gotten 20+ inches spread out over the last 7 weeks. It has come in almost perfect increments for us. I'm hoping the giant sinkhole my house is falling into will correct itself and
Spare my house.

Work in Victoria, and they have been getting a lot of rain.
gillom
AG
Looks like the Concho Valley finally got some lake changing rain last night. All the rain the state has been getting and Ivie was only up a couple inches.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 201

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.