Nvidia Event 9/1

8,350 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

I suspect the usual suspects have already done bench testing and are pleased because none of them seem to be able to hide their opinion right now. They all look like Cheshire Cats in their videos lol.

Oh yeah, looks like NVIDIA has a winner on their hands. Amazing what shifting the entire product stack back down a price slot to the 10-series pricing can do to the perceived value.

I think it's pretty telling that AMD is doing their CPU announcement first at the beginning of October (10/8) and the GPU announcement isn't until the end of October (10/28).
XXXVII
I'm excited, but man that 12 to 2x 8 pin power adapter is ass my dude. I was hoping I could use the lian li strimer cable for my gpu to make it look cooler, but this new adapter may make it look bad.
Bregxit
AG
XXXVII said:

I'm excited, but man that 12 to 2x 8 pin power adapter is ass my dude. I was hoping I could use the lian li strimer cable for my gpu to make it look cooler, but this new adapter may make it look bad.

Jay showed off the EVGA modular cable in the video above. Use one of those and it'll look fine.
tamusc
AG
Bregxit said:

XXXVII said:

Jay showed off the EVGA modular cable in the video above. Use one of those and it'll look fine.

Plus all the AIB partner cards are using standard 8 pin connectors. The NVIDIA FE versions are the only ones using that mini 12-pin.
XXXVII
So which AIB version do you think is the best?
agdoc2001
AG
XXXVII said:

So which AIB version do you think is the best?

Best what? Price? Cooling? Out of the box clock speed? Best for overclocking? Best for custom loops?

There really isn't one out and out best card for any given year. The best card for you may not be the best one for me depending on our cases and whether or not we want to overclock. I tend to build in smaller cases, so I like the hybrid cards like the EVGA hybrid or MSI Seahawk, but those may not work for you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
XXXVII
For me, I'm just going to be using the stock air cooler that comes on the card. Just looking for something priced similarly to the nvidia version of the 3080.
tamusc
AG
XXXVII said:

For me, I'm just going to be using the stock air cooler that comes on the card. Just looking for something priced similarly to the nvidia version of the 3080.

I'd probably say something like the EVGA XC3 then. EVGA has probably the best warranty and support out there, solid cards, and the XC series is their model built on the reference design that usually runs around the low end of the price range. My last two cards have been EVGA and my 3090 likely will be as well.

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/
XXXVII
Has a release date been set for the evga cards?
agdoc2001
AG
The XC3 and FTW3 from EVGA will be available on launch day and will sell out quickly.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
tamusc
AG
C@LAg said:

agdoc2001 said:

The XC3 and FTW3 from EVGA will be available on launch day and will sell out quickly.
and by quickly, he means that purchase bots will snag them all before a single live person has a chance.

happens every time.

This is likely going to be worse thanks to the rumors that the 3080 is a crypto mining monster.
tlepoC
AG
How would one make one of these bots?
XXXVII
So how long after the initial release do they typically come back in stock?
tfunk02
AG
tlepoC said:

How would one make one of these bots?
We need a TexAgs bot. Who's with me?!?

Someone please do all the work for me and let me use it. Thanks and GIG'EM!
AggieKO
AG
XXXVII said:

For those building new PCs with the RTX 3000 series cards, what type of monitor are you using?

I'm having a hard time deciding on the best gaming monitor for my build. Should I buy a monitor now or wait until later in the year? Are there any new monitors getting released later this year that I should wait for?

Depends on why you are using it for. If you are using it for competitive gaming in 1080 I would recommend the Alienware 240 hz TN panel. Switched to that from a LG 60hz ips panel and boy what a world of difference.

The LG panel looks better for obvious results but the performance of the Alienware is outstanding.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
FatZilla
AG
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Reviews Delayed to September 16, RTX 3070 Available On October 15

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-reviews-delayed-to-sept-16-rtx-3070-available-on-october-15

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
XXXVII
Maybe it's best if I'm not able to get a 3080 on the release date since that will force me to wait and see what AMD is coming out with.
Bregxit
AG
FYI review embargo for the 3080 lifts on the 16th for FE and the 17th for partner cards. Can't wait!
tamusc
AG
Reviews are up for the 3080

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/nvidia-rtx-3080-review-4k-greatness-at-699-and-good-news-for-cheaper-gpus/?amp=1
tamusc
AG
https://www.techspot.com/review/2099-geforce-rtx-3080/
tamusc
AG
HossAg
AG
Assuming I would have any issues if I decided to upgrade from my 2070 super on an X570 Mobo with a ryzen 7 3700X?
AggieChemE09
AG
HossAg said:

Assuming I would have any issues if I decided to upgrade from my 2070 super on an X570 Mobo with a ryzen 7 3700X?
PSUs could limit some people from what I read. They recommend 750w
HossAg
AG
That's what I've got
AggieKO
AG
So when do I need to have all these stores open and F5ing

And is this going to be a virtual only launch? Or will best buy have a few in store.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
tamusc
AG
HossAg said:

That's what I've got

Yeah, in some of the reviews with the 3080 and a 3950X as the CPU, they've been seeing total system power of close to 600 watts, so a good 750 watt (80+ Gold rated) should be fine as long as you don't go completely crazy with overclocking.
XXXVII
So who else got one?

JK, I got nothing.
tlepoC
AG
Nothing here - almost got one but site crapped out at 'add to cart". All other sites were immediate switch from 'coming soon' to 'out of stock'
tamusc
AG
Yeah, the 3080 preorder was almost as bad as the CF that was the oopsie, early PS5 preorder.

Hoping it won't be as bad for the 3090 next week, but I'm not holding my breath.
AggieKO
AG
I'm convinced that no human manually checked out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.