Nvidia Event 9/1

8,338 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now I just need to find my power supply accessories for a third 8-pin PCIe cable, lol.
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

Now I just need to find my power supply accessories for a third 8-pin PCIe cable, lol.

Whoa. /drool
tk for tu juan
Nice
DayAg!
S
You sure you didn't photoshop the box.
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
tfunk02
AG
DayAg! said:

You sure you didn't photoshop the box.
I heard he just bought an empty box off of Ebay for the internet karma/envy.
tamusc
AG
Haha, feel free to laugh at the ugly third PCIe power cable since I only had two nice 8-pin cables and not a third.

Behold, the default rainbow unicorn vomit.

tamusc
AG
Pretty decent ~50% improvement over my overclocked and water cooled 2080 Ti. Definitely ran into a power limit on the stock OC VBIOS which caps out around 430w. I had the core clock over 2100Mhz, but had to drop it some when I started cranking up the VRAM speed due to the additional power draw.

Going to flash the XOC VBIOS that EVGA just released for it that raises the power limit to 500w and see what it can hit with the stock air cooler. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a waterblock for it next month.

Bregxit
AG
Just put myself on the autonotify for the 3090 and 3080 FTW Ultras. I am going to watercool my next rig and was going to wait for the Hydrocopper but I decided to mitigate the wait as much as possible. I assume the HCs will sell out instantly as so far EVGA isn't allowing preordering.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
I've been trying to get the 3080, but think I'm going to wait until we start getting the non-AMD benchmarks on Big Navi. The numbers look promising enough to hold off, and I'd be losing the F5 battle anyways.
Bregxit
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

I've been trying to get the 3080, but think I'm going to wait until we start getting the non-AMD benchmarks on Big Navi. The numbers look promising enough to hold off, and I'd be losing the F5 battle anyways.
Not trying to talk you into or out of anything...regarding the F5 battle, if you sign up for Auto-notify on the EVGA site, when your notify comes up you are sent a unique to you link to order a card. You have 8 hours to purchase it from when the email is sent. So no rushing to beat everyone. Just letting you know.
tamusc
AG
Bregxit said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything...regarding the F5 battle, if you sign up for Auto-notify on the EVGA site, when your notify comes up you are sent a unique to you link to order a card. You have 8 hours to purchase it from when the email is sent. So no rushing to beat everyone. Just letting you know.

Yep, I got mine without issue thanks to the notification system and one of my buddies just got his email and ordered his yesterday. EVGA seems to be speeding up fulfillment a bit as well.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Bregxit said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Kicking myself a bit. I signed up for the FTW on Oct 5th. I didn't do it earlier because it was basically pointless to sign up for notifications. Inventory was usually sold out before the email left their servers.
tamusc
AG
tamusc said:

Pretty decent ~50% improvement over my overclocked and water cooled 2080 Ti. Definitely ran into a power limit on the stock OC VBIOS which caps out around 430w. I had the core clock over 2100Mhz, but had to drop it some when I started cranking up the VRAM speed due to the additional power draw.

Going to flash the XOC VBIOS that EVGA just released for it that raises the power limit to 500w and see what it can hit with the stock air cooler. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a waterblock for it next month.

Forgot to come back and post my updated results with the XOC bios but honestly it wasn't huge gains with the stock cooler. I averaged slightly higher core clocks, which resulted in about 1-2% gains. Not nothing, but not huge.

It was definitely temp limited and so I think the updated XOC VBIOS will really help once I finally get a waterblock for this thing, hopefully the end of next month.
tfunk02
AG
Thanks for the updates tamusc!

What's your monitor setup and what do you play/do that made you go 3090 over 3080?
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

tamusc said:

Forgot to come back and post my updated results with the XOC bios but honestly it wasn't huge gains with the stock cooler. I averaged slightly higher core clocks, which resulted in about 1-2% gains. Not nothing, but not huge.

It was definitely temp limited and so I think the updated XOC VBIOS will really help once I finally get a waterblock for this thing, hopefully the end of next month.
Just a heads up if you don't follow the EVGA forums...looks like there may have been a bad batch of cards or something. No one really knows yet but there is a three page thread of folks who received cards in the last week or so whose cards just died. System shuts down and a red LED lights up by the power plugs. EVGA is RMAing those no questions asked.
tamusc
AG
tfunk02 said:

Thanks for the updates tamusc!

What's your monitor setup and what do you play/do that made you go 3090 over 3080?

I have an LG 38GL950G-B as my primary display and an older Dell 24" as my secondary display that I'll be swapping out for an inexpensive 4K display (model undecided) at some point in the near future. I have a couch gaming setup that this PC also runs that I'll be upgrading to an LG CX 48", so the HDMI 2.1 connection will be essential.

My previous GPU was a 2080 Ti and it was fine for my previous 32" 1440p 160Hz display, but struggled with the new ultrawide while playing the Division 2 and Destiny 2. I went with the 3090 over the 3080 because I felt like the extra 10-15% pushed it over the magical upgrade threshold over the 2080 Ti in my head and I had budgeted for it. I like to tinker and overclock, so starting with the highest end hardware gave me something to play with. I think the 3090 is a bad value for almost anyone (even in my case for the games I play), but again it fit within within the budget for my new PC build. I also assumed the 3090 would be easier to get based on demand. I also think the 3090 will have more headroom once I put a waterblock on it.

So, admittedly not really any "good" reasons for me to go with the 3090 over the 3080 given the price difference.
tamusc
AG
Ooooh, I hadn't checked the forums since I downloaded the XOC bios. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads up!
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

Ooooh, I hadn't checked the forums since I downloaded the XOC bios. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the heads up!
https://forums.evga.com/3080-FTW3-Ultra-stopped-working-1-single-red-light-m3120936.aspx
tamusc
AG
Bregxit said:

tamusc said:

https://forums.evga.com/3080-FTW3-Ultra-stopped-working-1-single-red-light-m3120936.aspx

Appreciate the link.

I've had zero issues with mine so far and that includes pretty extensive (for stock air cooling, at least) overclocking (including flashing the XOC bios into it), benchmarking, stability testing, and some gaming.

Hopefully it's not something widespread and I'll avoid any issues. At least I haven't sold my 2080 Ti yet, so I'll have a backup until then.
Bregxit
AG
My assumption is it is like vehicles. You get enough of a product in the wild you are going to have plenty of failures showing up on forums. When I was looking at trucks a few years back one would have thought Toyota, Chevy and Ford all had complete crap trucks from the hundreds to couple thousand of people posting about this or that broke...then you realize there are 500-750k sold of each brand per year.

Hopefully yours doesn't fail but at least it is EVGA and their CS is second to none in the industry. I can't wait to get one and get my new build going.
tamusc
AG
Yep, EVGA's customer service and warranty is exactly why they've been my go to for the last three builds and this one as well. Just wish they made an AMD motherboard. Would love an x570 Dark to go along with the 5900X I plan on acquiring when available.
YNWA_AG
AG

Not a Bot
AG
Came here to post that. May start a thread on it. AMD seems to be claiming they've caught up to Nvidia.

Post removed:
by user
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
CastleRock said:

AMd always looks great on paper. Their drivers/etc are horrid though.
Yup.

I'm tentatively optimistic, but everything is suspect until it gets into the hands of reviewers. I planned on building a new rig, so the Ryzen/6800XT combo looks good on paper. Nice thing is I wouldn't have to replace my 750W power supply.

Outside of my cost-benefit range, but the price of 3090 vs 6900XT is surprising. The other two are in the same range as their counterparts, but that one gives the 3090 a low blow.
tamusc
AG
CastleRock said:

AMd always looks great on paper. Their drivers/etc are horrid though.

This.

I genuinely hope the claims are true because competition like this would be good for us consumers. However I'm taking it all with a huge grain of salt due to AMD's recent history with GPUs and their drivers.

The biggest thing I saw in the slides today that made me suspect the performance numbers is that they say they achieved those at a 300w power draw. If they truly hit those numbers at that power budget, AMD really did some great work on the architecture.
hunter2012
AG
tamusc said:

I appreciate this, though I forgot to mention I'm running it on a 4k tv so 60fps is the typical speed I'd need. But I do have an Index so it might be nice to up the frame rate of that to 120 or so. I understand that frame rate affects the processor more so processor might be less of a concern. So I'm still tempted to upgrade the GPU if nothing else for the index...
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

Bregxit said:

tamusc said:

Appreciate the link.

I've had zero issues with mine so far and that includes pretty extensive (for stock air cooling, at least) overclocking (including flashing the XOC bios into it), benchmarking, stability testing, and some gaming.

Hopefully it's not something widespread and I'll avoid any issues. At least I haven't sold my 2080 Ti yet, so I'll have a backup until then.

How's it going? Any issues? I am still about 100 away in the queue at EVGA.
tamusc
AG
I haven't experienced any issues at all so far and neither have either of my friends who also got 3090 FTW3's. I haven't really pushed it much farther OC wise, though I have stuck with the XOC VBIOS even if that doesn't give me much more headroom on air. Waiting to do that when I finally get a waterblock for it as well the new CPU and motherboard for the rest of the new build.
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

I haven't experienced any issues at all so far and neither have either of my friends who also got 3090 FTW3's. I haven't really pushed it much farther OC wise, though I have stuck with the XOC VBIOS even if that doesn't give me much more headroom on air. Waiting to do that when I finally get a waterblock for it as well the new CPU and motherboard for the rest of the new build.
That's great to hear! Thanks for the update! I have spec'd out my new rig and have begun ordering parts. Hopefully will be able to order the GPU in the next 2 weeks or so.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.