Nvidia Event 9/1

8,360 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
mickeyrig06sq3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieKO said:

I'm convinced that no human manually checked out
It doesn't help that we're also competing against crypto miners for these. Someone needs to invent a card specifically for them.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
I know the retailers don't care, because they just want to sell all of the cards, but it would be nice if they forced a few Captcha requirements for the first 24 hours. Gives the end user a chance, and then the bots can scoop up the rest.

Then there's also the rumors that this was a paper launch.
Bregxit
AG
This is one of the biggest price/performance jumps in almost 20 years. There is zero anyone could do about an instant sellout. This is the year to upgrade. It will just take patience to get the 3000 series card. You're competing with the whole world in buying these.

ETA: My brother got an order in, so it wasn't impossible. Just luck.
tamusc
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

I know the retailers don't care, because they just want to sell all of the cards, but it would be nice if they forced a few Captcha requirements for the first 24 hours. Gives the end user a chance, and then the bots can scoop up the rest.

Then there's also the rumors that this was a paper launch.

Yeah, the rumors have pretty consistent that there was likely to be very limited quantities available until early next year. My guess is that early yields weren't been great.
Bregxit
AG
According to GN (per NVidia, partners and system integrators) it appears inventory was reasonable but demand (and bots) were overwhelming. Moderate restocking to take place every few days with more volume in October. Conclusion: definitely not a paper launch.

tamusc
AG
Bregxit said:

According to GN (per NVidia, partners and system integrators) it appears inventory was reasonable but demand (and bots) were overwhelming. Moderate restocking to take place every few days with more volume in October. Conclusion: definitely not a paper launch.

Good to know!
Bregxit
AG
Yep! I am waiting to see what AMD Zen 3 looks like. Once that comes out I will make my decision which way to go (10900k or Zen 3) and the new build will commence to replace my 8-9 year old i5-2500k based system. Can't wait! This is a good year to build.
tlepoC
AG
I'm okay with this. I need the 20GB model that was leaked anyway. I need more msfs power!
tamusc
AG
Solid video and this meme cracked me up.
Proposition Joe
A bot bought them all up, and to counter another bot is fake-bidding all of the listings the bots got on ebay.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Proposition Joe said:

A bot bought them all up, and to counter another bot is fake-bidding all of the listings the bots got on ebay.
Yeah, Nvidia and other online retailers really screwed the pooch on being vulnerable to bots.

Bots Buy Dozens of RTX Units

Proposition Joe
Is that screenshot from 1992?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Is that screenshot from 1992?
Ascii drawings are a lost art. As for the CLI output, they were probably using Python. Ain't pretty, but it's quick and user friendly for scripting. It's the backbone of most IT automation nowadays.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

Credit to NVidia. Nice to see tech companies being open.

tk for tu juan
Form follows function
Bregxit
AG
AggieKO
AG
Rumors of a 3080 "TI" variant with 20gb ram coming
tamusc
AG
AggieKO said:

Rumors of a 3080 "TI" variant with 20gb ram coming

Pretty solid rumors of a 3080 20GB version, but whether it's actually a Ti version is all over the map.
tlepoC
AG
Must have 20GB for MSFS
Bregxit
AG
Steve ****s all over Nvidia's 3090 8K marketing... /laughcry

AggieKO
AG
Really want to snag the Strix 3080 but I haven't even seen when they are going to release.
XXXVII
People are having crashing issues with their AIB 3080s due to certain AIB's cheaping out on the power delivery capacitors.

tamusc
AG
XXXVII said:

People are having crashing issues with their AIB 3080s due to certain AIB's cheaping out on the power delivery capacitors.

It actually appears to be more of an issue of NVIDIA screwing their AIB partners. The AIBs didn't actually get test drivers until right before the press did, so they had limited time to test and it was right before release. This crashing only occurs during actual games with GPU clock boosting behavior, so without those drivers, the AIBs had no way to test in time to make changes.

NVIDIA has to approve every design of every AIB card, so they missed this in their own internal testing. Those NVIDIA's validation testers had access to drivers before the AIBs partners did.

NVIDIA is putting their AIB partners in a tough spot by competing with them directly with the FE edition making it extremely difficult for the AIB to hit that level of quality at that price while maintaining any level of profitability. Typically AIBs only make 3-6% margin on these cards, which is significantly smaller than NVIDIA's margins since they get their GPU packages (actual GPU and memory) at cost.

The issue can also be "fixed" by capping boost clocks at 2Ghz, which isn't great for people expecting more, but still exceeds the specs NVIDIA presented.

All that being said, EVGA at least has acknowledged the issue and is addressing it by replacing cards with the less reliable capacitor array. Just another reason why EVGA has been my card vendor of choice going back at least three builds for myself.

tamusc
AG
Buildzoid (he has content on Gamers Nexus quite a bit) has a really good video diving into the details of the 3080/3090 capacitor issues.

tamusc
AG
Again, it sounds like NVIDIA really threw their AIB partners under the bus. NVIDIA didn't distribute functional game drivers for the cards until when (and in some cases after) the press even did.

tamusc
AG
FYI, if you want an EVGA card, they are doing an ordering queue based on their in stock notification system as a way to combat the bots and scalpers.

https://forums.evga.com/New-EVGAcom-Notification-Checkout-Process-m3108092.aspx

I hit the "Notify me" button on launch day for the 3090 FTW3 and just received an email with a reserved card that I could purchase within eight hours of receiving that email today. The card will be here Wednesday!
tfunk02
AG
Bregxit
AG
tamusc said:

FYI, if you want an EVGA card, they are doing an ordering queue based on their in stock notification system as a way to combat the bots and scalpers.

https://forums.evga.com/New-EVGAcom-Notification-Checkout-Process-m3108092.aspx

I hit the "Notify me" button on launch day for the 3090 FTW3 and just received an email with a reserved card that I could purchase within eight hours of receiving that email today. The card will be here Wednesday!
And if y'all purchase direct from EVGA and want a discount (and I get a few EVGA bucks) you can use my affiliate code....

https://www.evga.com/associates/default.aspx?associatecode=DOX88CV8HHFIHNQ
hunter2012
AG
I have a i-7 4790k, and a GTX1080. I've never seen issues with the processor but do ya'll think it would be pointless to upgrade to the 3080 without upgrading the processor/mobo?
Bregxit
AG
hunter2012 said:

I have a i-7 4790k, and a GTX1080. I've never seen issues with the processor but do ya'll think it would be pointless to upgrade to the 3080 without upgrading the processor/mobo?

You will definitely not realize near the full potential of the 3080 with a 4th gen CPU. I'd be willing to bet you'd have a CPU bottleneck even with a 2080.
tamusc
AG
Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

You will definitely not realize near the full potential of the 3080 with a 4th gen CPU. I'd be willing to bet you'd have a CPU bottleneck even with a 2080.

Yep, it wouldn't be a pointless upgrade, but there'd definitely be some level of CPU bottlenecking.
hunter2012
AG
tamusc said:

Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

Yep, it wouldn't be a pointless upgrade, but there'd definitely be some level of CPU bottlenecking.
What would the performance drop look like if the processor is the bottleneck?
Bregxit
AG
hunter2012 said:

tamusc said:

Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

You are looking at a 5000+ point different in TimeSpy between a 4790k and 10700k running a 3080...and that's with the top 4790k scores on a heavy overclock.

ETA: It's a 4000ish point uplift with the 4790k upgrading from a 1080 to a 3080.
hunter2012
AG
Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

tamusc said:

Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

You are looking at a 5000+ point different in TimeSpy between a 4790k and 10700k running a 3080...and that's with the top 4790k scores on a heavy overclock.

ETA: It's a 4000ish point uplift with the 4790k upgrading from a 1080 to a 3080.
What would that mean for the physical performance, lag? slowed rendering? slowed loading?
Bregxit
AG
hunter2012 said:

Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

tamusc said:

Bregxit said:

hunter2012 said:

What would that mean for the physical performance, lag? slowed rendering? slowed loading?
Here is a snapshot comparison of the 4790k vs 10700k both using a 3080. Some games a GPU heavy, some are CPU heavy. You can see on CPU heavy results a huge difference and about a 10% difference in frames per second on GPU heavy results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.