Nvidia Event 9/1

8,359 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bregxit
tamusc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Okay, take these numbers with a grain of salt due to the limitations NVIDIA placed on DF in terms of game selection. I trust DF, but game selection can heavily slant something like this. Still nice to see some real worldish numbers.

AggieKO
AG
Thanks for all the insight. I guess waiting would probably be the best course of action anyway to give the reviews on the cards a chance to come out.

I've been looking for a reason to upgrade for a while and I guess that reveal made me a little anxious.
tamusc
AG
Haha, I know the feeling. I have essentially everything (case, PSU, most of the watercooling gear, etc) for the new system ready to go short of the CPU, motherboard and GPU. Don't get me wrong, my old system is no slouch (here's a link if you want to check it out), but I really have the itch to build and tinker.

I might drive my wife nuts working on other projects around the house in the meantime.

The old build has already been relegated back to the floor in our new house.

XXXVII
I'm still looking for a power supply to get ready for my build. I'm thinking I'll need something like 1000 W for it, but the one I want is still nowhere to be found other than from chinese sellers on NewEgg.

I'll be going with an RTX 3080 and one of the new Ryzen 4000 cpus along with an x570 motherboard.
tlepoC
AG
Same build I'm starting to collect parts for!
tremble
AG
XXXVII said:

I'm still looking for a power supply to get ready for my build. I'm thinking I'll need something like 1000 W for it, but the one I want is still nowhere to be found other than from chinese sellers on NewEgg.

I'll be going with an RTX 3080 and one of the new Ryzen 4000 cpus along with an x570 motherboard.
Should not need a 1000W power supply unless you are seriously trying to overclock on a beast-mode PC.

I'd recommend watching this video, 11:25 will have current cards so we don't have the new 30 series from NVIDIA or future AMD chips but it should give you an idea of what to look for.

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MGS
Looks like a $150 IKEA Alex desk
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
law80
AG
So where would one start if he wanted to get into building computers for gaming? My son wants to build one and I wouldn't mind trying to build one either.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
XXXVII
law80 said:

So where would one start if he wanted to get into building computers for gaming? My son wants to build one and I wouldn't mind trying to build one either.

Whatever you do, DO NOT watch any computer building videos made by The Verge.
tamusc
AG
law80 said:

Linus actually did a pretty solid build vid not too long ago, but there's a ton out there. As mentioned above, just don't follow that terrible one the Verge did, lol.

Using https://pcpartpicker.com/ to help pick out parts as mentioned above is another great suggestion.

tamusc
AG
C@LAg said:

tamusc said:

Haha, I know the feeling. I have essentially everything (case, PSU, most of the watercooling gear, etc) for the new system ready to go short of the CPU, motherboard and GPU. Don't get me wrong, my old system is no slouch (here's a link if you want to check it out), but I really have the itch to build and tinker.

I might drive my wife nuts working on other projects around the house in the meantime.

The old build has already been relegated back to the floor in our new house.

$4000 of equipment.

on a $60 walmart desk.
lol, I know, I know (though it's an IKEA Alex desk). It's what the wife picked out at our old place when we shared an office. The new desk is another project that's currently in progress.
tamusc
AG
law80 said:

Paul actually did a really in depth guide last year that even goes through the BIOS settings and Windows install

HossAg
AG
tamusc said:

law80 said:

Linus actually did a pretty solid build vid not too long ago, but there's a ton out there. As mentioned above, just don't follow that terrible one the Verge did, lol.

Using https://pcpartpicker.com/ to help pick out parts as mentioned above is another great suggestion.

This is the video I watched before building mine. Helped a lot.
Pman17
AG
Rocking the 1080 I bought from a TexAgs member last year. Looks like I'll get one of these in a year or so. I do 1080p gaming. Just need enough to run Flight Sim and VR. My processor 4600K i5 can barely handle Flight Sim. I don't care about 4K or 8K. In the meantime, I need to upgrade my 6 year old, motherboard, and processor. Any recommendations?
tamusc
AG
Can you wait a month or two for the new AMD CPU announcement?
TxAg82
AG
Do we actually think these cards will be widely available at the retail price? It seems like the 1080/1080ti and 2080/2080ti were always priced well above their original msrp and really increased the cost of high end diy builds.
saltydog13
AG
Reference cards will be msrp and most custom cards will be above msrp.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Pman17
AG
I don't plan on doing upgrades till the holidays. I can wait.
tamusc
AG
In that case, you're better off waiting until after AMD launches the Zen 3 based Ryzen desktop CPUs. Either the answer will be to get one of those or to getting a current Ryzen 3000 series or a current "10th gen" Intel CPU at a much better price.
Bregxit
AG

XXXVII
For those building new PCs with the RTX 3000 series cards, what type of monitor are you using?

I'm having a hard time deciding on the best gaming monitor for my build. Should I buy a monitor now or wait until later in the year? Are there any new monitors getting released later this year that I should wait for?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
tamusc
AG
XXXVII said:

For those building new PCs with the RTX 3000 series cards, what type of monitor are you using?

I'm having a hard time deciding on the best gaming monitor for my build. Should I buy a monitor now or wait until later in the year? Are there any new monitors getting released later this year that I should wait for?

I actually debated getting a new for most of the last two years myself. Finally just picked up the LG 38GL950G-B about a month ago after it being out of stock almost constantly since it was released. No regrets about my decision as it's a phenomenal display and I really like the extra real estate with the 38" size plus the extra vertical pixels due to it being 1600p instead of of 1080p or 1440p like most ultrawides. The only knock on it is that it doesn't really do HDR well (it's HDR400), but it still looks better than most HDR TVs plus HDR gaming in Windows is so ridiculously broken if you're using multiple monitors that it's not worth it.

As suggested above, it might be worth waiting in sales during the holidays, but the supply chain is so broken right now that if you can find one you want in stock for a decent price it might be worth getting.
Prophet00
AG
Welp, my RX 5700XT is only about 8 months old, but I may have to break down and upgrade...
tfunk02
AG
XXXVII said:

48" OLED

At least that's the dream. For now it's a 32" 165Hz 1440 cheap one.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, that new 48" LG OLED would make a NICE gaming monitor.
HossAg
AG
"Cheap"
XXXVII
I'm not sure I can justify getting a $1600 monitor, but that is sweet.

I was looking at the LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch Ultragear, but I'm wondering if something better will come out later this year.
tamusc
AG
The 27GN950-B is finally coming out this month and has all the same improvements that the 38gl950G-B in terms of better colors, significantly better pixel response, etc. and is definitely the monitor I'd be eyeing if I was looking at a 27" panel. It's also a 4K panel instead of 1440p like the 850 and costs nearly double though, sooooo the 850 isn't a bad option at all, lol. In fact, I was looking at the 850 to replace the ancient Dell 24" that's the upper monitor in my setup.

https://www.displayninja.com/lg-27gn950-review/

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/lg-ultragear-27gn950-is-the-4k-144hz-gaming-monitor-to-have

tamusc
AG
Here's a hands on/unboxing of the 3080 l that includes showing off the new power adapter and an EVGA cable for their modular power supplies that doesn't require an adapter. No performance or cooling data though.

Linus did an unboxing as well. Same limitations though.

Bregxit
AG
I suspect the usual suspects have already done bench testing and are pleased because none of them seem to be able to hide their opinion right now. They all look like Cheshire Cats in their videos lol.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.