Cutting the cord

17,534 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
dodger02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Since I started using a Roku Stick this weekend, I've noticed that my Fire Stick is either really pissed off and has decided to become buggy and slow...or the Roku is so much damned better that it leaves the Fire in the dust.

Navigating through my content with the Fire Stick is really poor compared to the Roku. My wife is picking up two more later today.

I'm really liking the PSVUE, HBONow, etc. experience.

I'm canceling DTV in 3...2...1...
dodger02
AG
Wow.

I just called DTV and canceled. It took exactly 7 minutes and 28 seconds to do so.

I wasn't on contract. No hard sell at all. Spoke to one person. He tried to lower my bill with a six month offer and then tried to package me with a cell phone plan (I'm on Verizon) to get my overall costs lower. I just politely told him "no" and admitted that I was cutting the cord.

He typed quietly on his keyboard for about 2-3 minutes and then, in the saddest voice imaginable, told me when I'd be receiving my prepaid shipping labels and instructions on how/when to return my equipment.

It sounded like we were breaking up after a long relationship in which we just simply grew apart.
howdydamnit04
AG
I just got the email that YouTube TV is now available in Houston. Signing up for my free trial today.
texag06ish
AG
For those cancelling Directv - Make sure you verify the serial numbers of the items they want you to send back. They had me down for items I didn't have and if I didn't clarify, they would have tried to charge me.
zurcaled11
AG
YouTube TV is now available in Dallas too (still no HGTV makes that a deal breaker for me and the wife).

Also Hulu Live TV updated to give still frames of the 10 second fast forward and rewind increments. Takes a few seconds for them to load but that was a nice addition.
Diggity
AG
I'm trying out the youtube tv demo right now. missing a few stations but the DVR feature couldn't be easier. I'm loading up disney stuff for the kiddos right now.
dodger02
AG
I just checked and I have an old non-DVR receiver (not a Genie) on my account that I don't recognize and probably haven't had in my house in 4 years. Lord knows where it would be if it actually is mine.

How'd you get that resolved?
MaroonStain
AG
dodger02 said:

Wow.

I just called DTV and canceled. It took exactly 7 minutes and 28 seconds to do so.

I wasn't on contract. No hard sell at all. Spoke to one person. He tried to lower my bill with a six month offer and then tried to package me with a cell phone plan (I'm on Verizon) to get my overall costs lower. I just politely told him "no" and admitted that I was cutting the cord.

He typed quietly on his keyboard for about 2-3 minutes and then, in the saddest voice imaginable, told me when I'd be receiving my prepaid shipping labels and instructions on how/when to return my equipment.

It sounded like we were breaking up after a long relationship in which we just simply grew apart.

He was having a bad retention day... If he was a she and during "then"....BAM double whammy...
texag06ish
AG
dodger02 said:

I just checked and I have an old non-DVR receiver (not a Genie) on my account that I don't recognize and probably haven't had in my house in 4 years. Lord knows where it would be if it actually is mine.

How'd you get that resolved?

Via chat. Let them know what I actually have and got them to write that it was ok to send those specific pieces of equipment back, then saved the chat.
Pman17
AG
I just found the most comprehensive review I have ever seen.

If you want to cut the cord, here ya go!

http://fomopop.com/reviews/live-tv-streaming-services/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.