Cutting the cord

17,557 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
Jasomania
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

I got a 30-day trial of Sling TV when I bought my Amazon Fire TV Stick (through bestbuy.com) and my trial ends next week. So far, I have only used Sling to watch a few sporting events (EPL, college baseball). I currently have the Orange+Blue because it's a free trial, but I would cut back to just the Orange ($20/mo) and add the extra sports channels ($10/mo) for the SEC Network. When Game of Thrones starts up again, I plan to add HBO ($15/mo).

According to https://www.cutcabletoday.com/what-is-playstation-vue/, I would need to get the PS Vue's Core Slim package ($35/mo) in order to get the SEC Network. The cost of adding HBO is the same as with Sling.

So...
Sling TV -- $30/mo
PS Vue -- $35/mo

Several have said that PS Vue is better than Sling. Besides the cloud DVR thing, are there any other reasons for choosing Vue over Sling?
With Sling Orange you can only do one stream at a time so that may be an issue. You can get cloud DVR now on sling which works for most channels (the only I've found that don't work are ABC and its affiliates (freeform / ESPN) and FX). Its 5 dollars a month more and works on roku, android, firetv, and should be coming to apple tv soon.
theNetSmith
AG
St_Jason said:

With Sling Orange you can only do one stream at a time so that may be an issue. You can get cloud DVR now on sling which works for most channels (the only I've found that don't work are ABC and its affiliates (freeform / ESPN) and FX). Its 5 dollars a month more and works on roku, android, firetv, and should be coming to apple tv soon.
I don't need more than one stream at a time, so not a big deal.

My 30-day Sling trial ends on the 20th, so I am going to sign up for the 5-day Vue trial today to be able to compare the 2 and make a decision after the weekend.
Aggie71013
AG
FYI. Sling announced today that Fox channels can now be DVRed. This includes FX. ESPN is still the glaring holdout for football season.
Jasomania
AG
Aggie71013 said:

FYI. Sling announced today that Fox channels can now be DVRed. This includes FX. ESPN is still the glaring holdout for football season.
Oh nice, FX has been good about putting their new shows on demand the day after but it was still annoying not being able to DVR them. You can use your Sling TV log in information to sign in to Watch ESPN so for a lot of games you can watch them after they air on the Watch ESPN App.
zurcaled11
AG
So I have the Hulu Live TV Beta and my biggest complaint other than some loading/pausing issues is that when you fast forward recorded shows, the image on the screen stays static.
NColoradoAG
zurcaled11 said:

So I have the Hulu Live TV Beta and my biggest complaint other than some loading/pausing issues is that when you fast forward recorded shows, the image on the screen stays static.

PSvue does the same thing. Ive gotten pretty good at timing skipping commercials
zurcaled11
AG
Does anyone with the Hulu Live TV Beta know how to have favorite sports teams but NOT record every game that is played?
SPSAg05
AG
Very interested in Hulu Live Beta. For those of you that have it, what devices do you use to access it?
zurcaled11
AG
SPSAg05 said:

Very interested in Hulu Live Beta. For those of you that have it, what devices do you use to access it?

I use the Xbox One for 99% of it, but have used the chromecast for the other room once or twice.
Diggity
AG
It's interesting that Hulu Live is in beta and not available on roku or firestick but they're still charging full price.
AgsWin2011
AG
Can you get Fox Sports Southwest on Vue? I would like to be able to watch the Rangers play and whatever college football games may come one (even though I think they use FS1 for NCAA football now). Other than that, it looks like they have all the channels I watch. Would much rather pay $50-60 a month in lieu of the $140 I'm paying right now for DirecTV. I would just need to pay an extra $10 a month to get an unlimited internet plan.
irish pete ag06
AG
Heismenberg said:

Can you get Fox Sports Southwest on Vue? I would like to be able to watch the Rangers play and whatever college football games may come one (even though I think they use FS1 for NCAA football now). Other than that, it looks like they have all the channels I watch. Would much rather pay $50-60 a month in lieu of the $140 I'm paying right now for DirecTV. I would just need to pay an extra $10 a month to get an unlimited internet plan.
Yes you can. The package that is 1 step up from the base ($5 extra per month) gets your Fox SW.
theNetSmith
AG
Heismenberg said:

I would just need to pay an extra $10 a month to get an unlimited internet plan.
When I was connecting Suddenlink for my new place, I opted to go with the internet package that was one step down from unlimited. It has a 250GB/mo limit, and if I go over that, I have to pay (charged by increments of 10GB, I think). My plan was to just keep an eye on it and upgrade if it looked like I was going to go over.

June was my first full month of service, during which I used ~190GB -- well below my limit. Granted, I only have one stream going at a time, but I watch a fair amount of streaming content and I do some online gaming.

That said, I spent quite a bit of time streaming over the weekend, and for the first 2 days in July, I have already used 26.2GB. :-/

I hope this gives you a point of reference.

ETA: I'm not worried about July. I watch a lot more on the weekends than I do during the week. Here is a link to a chart showing my daily bandwidth usage during June, with weekend days clearly standing out above the rest: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-3QJComVMVYTVKWlNkNWVLaFk/view?usp=sharing
tmas
AG
Just got notice that PlayStation Vue is going up to $45. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend and makes over-the-top the same price as cable/satellite.
TX scallywAG
AG
tmas said:

Just got notice that PlayStation Vue is going up to $45. Hopefully this doesn't become a trend and makes over-the-top the same price as cable/satellite.

$45 and no equipment rental fee is far below unless you count promo bundles which will double in time. The extra $10 Vue is a convenience to avoid a separate OTA system & is worth it in my mind. If you have an OTA set up, go with Sling. Vue is planning to have nation wide local coverage across all 4 major locals which has caused the jump due to affiliates.

There are cheaper options such as Sling, Hulu TV, Fubo, & YT TV.

I would stop looking at these as cord cutting options and view them as OTT (over the top) cable providers... bc that's what they are.

It blows my mind when people say they got rid of their phone lines all together for VOIP... no, now you just have OTT voice (SIP). Just a different protocol (IPTV in the case of TV) to access the content/product. The biggest difference is the OTT model allows ISPs, CLECS, & TV providers to be in geographic regions that weren't possible before. This in turn, pushes down prices overall due to healthy competition.

Keep in mind Dish owns Sling, and Direct TV has some crazy cheap AT&T bundles going on. Those deals, multiple OTT TV competitors, plus cable companies scrambling to keep subs should keep the prices relatively in check. Again more competition than ever should help us.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
irish pete ag06
AG
Aggie MHA said:

tmas said:

$45 and no equipment rental fee is far below unless you count promo bundles which will double in time. The extra $10 Vue is a convenience to avoid a separate OTA system & is worth it in my mind. If you have an OTA set up, go with Sling. Vue is planning to have nation wide local coverage across all 4 major locals which has caused the jump due to affiliates.

I would stop looking at these as cord cutting options and view them as OTT (over the top) cable providers... bc that's what they are.

It blows my mind when people say they got rid of their phone lines all together for VOIP... no, now you just have OTT voice (SIP). Just a different protocol (IPTV in the case of TV) to access the content/product. The biggest difference is the OTT model allows ISPs, CLECS, & TV providers to be in geographic regions that weren't possible before. This in turn, pushes down prices overall due to healthy competition.

Keep in mind Dish owns Sling, and Direct TV has some crazy cheap AT&T bundles going on. Those deals, multiple OTT TV competitors, plus cable companies scrambling to keep subs should keep the prices relatively in check. Again more competition than ever should help us.
When is Vue planning on instituting this? I have been grandfathered in at $35 for 3 more billing cycles. No mention of my locals being on board. I am in the Tyler market, so I don't think we will be high on the list.
jay040
Quote:

When is Vue planning on instituting this? I have been grandfathered in at $35 for 3 more billing cycles. No mention of my locals being on board. I am in the Tyler market, so I don't think we will be high on the list.

This article explains some of it -

"This week, ABC announced that its Clearinghouse initiative, which lets local affiliates opt into streaming deals, now has 160 of its 200 stations on board. As Variety reports, the arrangement covers live streaming on DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and CenturyLink, with more deals to come. Last month, NBC announced progress with a similar initiative, striking a deal with the board that represents its independent affiliates. Variety reports that CBS and Fox are believed to be pursuing similar plans. (In the meantime, CBS's $6-per-month All Access service offers a live stream in nearly all of its markets.) This doesn't mean streaming services will be getting nationwide local coverage overnight, but it does suggest real progress in one of the biggest sticking points for streaming bundles."

I think (hope) that in light of the price increases and these announcement on deals with the major local networks, we can expect to see local channels for most/all Vue subsribers. From my understanding, if you were in an area that already had all local channels, you were already paying these increased prices.
redass1876
AG
Youtube TV is supposed to hit Dallas and Houston within the next month!
jay040
They don't have HGTV, which is a deal breaker for my wife.
Forum Troll
AG
redass1876 said:

Youtube TV is supposed to hit Dallas and Houston within the next month!
May consider switching away from PS Vue for them, but they desperately need to have Roku support.
zooguy96
jay040 said:

They don't have HGTV, which is a deal breaker for my wife.

That's why I have to get DirecTV Now. They are the only one that has Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries on the cheap.

That's why my wife gets the smaller tv in the living room and I get the larger, nicer tv in the man room.
NColoradoAG
irish pete ag06 said:

Aggie MHA said:

tmas said:

I received the $10 increase email as well. Same rate until October and then going up. Willing to give them the increase because they just added one more local to my stream and I am happy with the service so far.
htownag08
AG
Posted this on the prime deals thread - but is this a good antenna to invest in if we are cutting the cord soon? Looks to be a good deal but i'm not the most tech savvy.

Amplified HDTV Antenna- VIEWTEK Digital Indoor TV Antenna

Deal was going to fast so i had to pull the trigger - hopefully it works out!
jay040
I think it all depends on your distance from the broadcast towers. That being said, I've found /r/cordcutters to be very useful.

If you scroll down to Understanding TVFool.com Reports it walks through how to know where to position your antenna.

rynning
AG
I cut the cord with DirecTV today, and it took only 12 minutes! I just told them I was moving out of the country, and they didn't transfer me to anyone. If you want to try it, just make sure you have your backstory ready.
AustinAg2K
I was all gung go to cut the cord, but I priced everything out and I would only end up saving about $5 a month. Charter is throwing in HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz, too, so for the same channels it would have actually been more. I was really disappointed in how much I would save. I was expecting it to be a lot more. I am going without any boxes for the bedrooms and will just use Roku for those. I don't get how people get these $200+ cable bills. Just call every couple of months and they'll always give you the new customer deal. Having Roku does help keep the cost down though because I don't need cable boxes everywhere.
NColoradoAG
AustinAg2K said:

Just call every couple of months and they'll always give you the new customer deal.
Based on everything posted in these threads, this just simply isn't true.
irish pete ag06
AG
NColoradoAG said:

AustinAg2K said:

Just call every couple of months and they'll always give you the new customer deal.
Based on everything posted in these threads, this just simply isn't true.
Wasn't true for me after being out of contract with DirecTV for 4 years. They had done it every time until the last one.
WoMD
AustinAg2K said:

I was all gung go to cut the cord, but I priced everything out and I would only end up saving about $5 a month. Charter is throwing in HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz, too, so for the same channels it would have actually been more. I was really disappointed in how much I would save. I was expecting it to be a lot more. I am going without any boxes for the bedrooms and will just use Roku for those. I don't get how people get these $200+ cable bills. Just call every couple of months and they'll always give you the new customer deal. Having Roku does help keep the cost down though because I don't need cable boxes everywhere.

When I called to cancel directv for directv now, the guy offered to drop my bill from $140 to $95. He was surprised when I insisted on cancelling so I could only pay the $35 for directv now. Even with the temporary "discount" $95>$35. Nope, sorry bud but most people save more than $5 going this route.
AustinAg2K
I guess I've never talked to Direct TV, but Charter gave me internet + cable + some premium channels for a little over $100 a month. Seeing how I was going too have to pay $50-$60 a month for internet anyways, and then $35-$45 for streaming tv, it wasn't really the cost savings I was expecting. Dropping the boxes from each room was a bigger cost savings than dropping cable altogether.

The DVR options for streaming also concerned me. I'm not sure about DirecTV Now's DVR, but YouTube and I think PS Vue replace your DVR show with the on demand version when its available. One of my biggest problems with on demand is they often make you sit through commercials. I don't want commercials with my DVR. If Direct's DVR option doesn't have commercials then I might look at it again later.
dodger02
AG
I signed up for PS Vue on Sunday. I really like it. Using a Roku Stick and Fire Stick to access the app. I'll get another Roku stick or two for the other areas in my home.

The Core package plus CBS and HBO will be $66 per month. That's considerably less than the $197 I'm paying for DTV right now.

And all I've ever been able to get from DTV is an equipment upgrade (which includes a new 2-year commitment) and free movie channels when I've previously threatened to cancel.

Tomorrow, I'll call and cancel.
jay040
Quote:

I think PS Vue replace your DVR show with the on demand version when its available.
You have a choice as to which you watch - Vue says the on demand is higher streaming quality, but there's no difference. We fast forward through our DVR content all the time. *edit* Sometimes the DVR doesn't work on Food Network and we have to watch the on demand. I contacted Vue support about this, and based off the error code they said it was on Food Network's side and they couldn't do anything. So I don't know.
Ark03
AG
AustinAg2K said:

If you want cable content, you're going to pay cable prices. I think that's the division between people who are saving money versus those who aren't when they "cut the cord."

If you want to watch a bunch of cable content, then cable companies are still going to make money off of you. If you want to do a hybrid with a bunch of subscription services (to include CBS all access, Hulu, PS Vue, Sling, HBO Now, etc), then I'd say you're not really cutting the cord - you're just restructuring the pricing model for your content.
ForeverAg
AG
Im a little confused with Plex and FireTV. Do I use one or the other, or is both too much overlap? I just cancelled my Directv today and I ordered a FireTV however the features of Plex sound great, however I only know plex from its standalone media server days and I guess I dont fully understand what Plex is today with streaming service.
Aggie_95
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.