Cutting the cord

17,368 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
jspoor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at getting rid of cable and buying amazon fire tv. what do I need to do to make sure I have aggie football to watch whether they are on SECN, ESPN, CBS, etc. This is the only thing holding me back. I appreciate all the input
saw em off
Antenna for CBS, Sling TV(sports package) for ESPN/SEC.
stridulent
AG
Playstation Vue is an alternative to SlingTV. Either way, make sure you have a reliable internet connection.
MaroonStain
AG
This topic needs a sticky...
FL_Ag1998
AG
MaroonStain said:

This topic needs a sticky...

Lol, yeah, no offense to the OP, but I was just laughing at seeing one of these threads pop up once a week.
Vernada
AG
Link to last thread
chase128
AG
You'll have to get an antenna for CBS. You need a PlayStation to get the Vue up and running.

I use Vue and I have the app for it on an Nvidia Shield. Works great.

Logitech Harmony remote easily toggles between the Shield, the antenna, and other stuff we have.
shoes
AG
You do not need a Playstation for Vue. Also, depending on your market, you may not need an antenna for CBS. In DFW we get CBS with Vue, but not ABC. Watch ESPN has been my go to for sports that air on ABC. I have also heard rumblings that ABC will be coming to Dallas subscribers sooner than later. We have had Vue for 8 months or so and have not missed cable once.
02skiag
AG
We have the Firetv with Vue. Works great. We had to switch to a faster internet with no data limits.
dsvogel05
AG
Switched to Vue about 2 months ago, and I don't miss cable. I use a Fire TV and Firestick, the Fire TV is way better, but the stick works great for the bedroom. Left ATT internet in favor of spectrum because of increased speed and lower price. Have 100mb internet for $45 a month and Vue is $35. In Austin, we get Fox and CBS through Vue and use an OTA antenna for ABC and NBC.
Cloud
I'm not sure I get the infatuation with cutting the cord. Cable tv is really not that expensive. And you get dvr+every channel you want without having to worry about buffering or data caps.
WoMD
Cloud said:

I'm not sure I get the infatuation with cutting the cord. Cable tv is really not that expensive. And you get dvr+every channel you want without having to worry about buffering or data caps.

Directv was shooting up quickly, most recently at $140/month, and that wasn't the highest package (when I called to cancel he offered to drop it to $30 less per month, and I laughed). Now on Directv Now for $35/month with every channel I want sans DVR (but for $100 a month I can rent any shows I miss and still be way ahead). So yes, to a lot of people it is that expensive. These newer options are significantly cheaper to a very large number of people.

My only concern will be college football season, though.
dave99ag
AG
WoMD said:

I'm not too worried about college football season. We go to A&M home games and most games will be on ESPN (DirecTV Now or Watch ESPN app). I'll go to a bar or use rabbit ears for games on CBS.

This was a bit of a challenge during March Madness. I paid the $7 for CBS that month and got all the games that way. Any others were streamed through the March Madness app or DirecTV Now.
WoMD
dave99ag said:

WoMD said:

I'm not too worried about college football season. We go to A&M home games and most games will be on ESPN (DirecTV Now or Watch ESPN app). I'll go to a bar or use rabbit ears for games on CBS.

This was a bit of a challenge during March Madness. I paid the $7 for CBS that month and got all the games that way. Any others were streamed through the March Madness app or DirecTV Now.

I guess I should clarify. I tend to work on Saturdays, so usually the game is partway over before I can watch. That's the only time I relied on dvr. Plus I like to watch multiple games at the same time and this setup doesnt have picture in picture like directv did.

Although...I can watch directv now on my phone or iPad, so I suppose I can just have that set up at my desk between appointments.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Cloud said:

Primary reasons for me:
1. I don't watch a ton of shows and don't want to find more to eat up my time, so having a ton of DVR ability isn't a big priority
2. I like A&M football and in the fall will pick up SlingTV or Vue to access ESPN & the SEC Network. With most of the cable guys that involves an installation date (AT&T wouldn't let me plug the same box into the same line - they had to send someone out) and you have to make a return trip to send it all back, AFTER you deal with their pushy retention department on the phone. With SlingTV, I went online and hit "cancel" and that was it.
3. While cable may be getting lower in price, it is still going to be, at best, on par with the streaming services. In most cases it will be significatnly more.

Ultimately, I just like the ability to pick the service up when I want and to cancel when I want without having to fuss with appointments, equipment drop offs or people trying to sell me 15 packages before they let me cancel. Those things make it the right choice for me. If it's not the right choice for you, then I wouldn't recommend you go with it.

A lot of folks are starting to realize the same things though - that they don't need DVR that much and that they either don't watch much TV or are looking to watch less. The streaming services typically give you the ability to catch the things you just can't do without while still cutting down your bill and total time spent sitting in front of the TV, so the appeal shouldn't be a huge mystery.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
WoMD said:

dave99ag said:

WoMD said:

I guess I should clarify. I tend to work on Saturdays, so usually the game is partway over before I can watch. That's the only time I relied on dvr. Plus I like to watch multiple games at the same time and this setup doesnt have picture in picture like directv did.

Although...I can watch directv now on my phone or iPad, so I suppose I can just have that set up at my desk between appointments.

You can get DVR equipment for OTA stuff, so you could record CBS games. The ESPN games can be rewatched on ESPN 360, which you get access to even if you're using streaming providers. As for picture in picture, you would lose that, but how can you say that you don't watch games live and that you love to watch multiple games live ?
tmas
AG
Cloud said:

I'm cutting the cord next month when I move into a new house. For me it's the fact that I have 100+ channels and only watch sports and my wife seems to only watch Friends, Seinfeld and Chick Flicks. The kids are hooked on Netflix.

Why pay for content I never used. Save at least $50/month, $600/year.

#DaveRamseyApproved
redass1876
AG
Youtube TV looks legit; Waiting for it to enter my market.

Looks better than sling/directv/vue to me based on channel lineup and unlimited cloud DVR
BQ2001
AG
I'm looking forward to HuluTV being on the Roku. I've had all the services (Sling, DirectTV Now, Vue currently) and we've found that the only thing we DVR are a couple things on CBS for my wife. We still turn to Hulu for the other shows we watch. It'll be nice to have everything in one place again with no commercials for the most part.
WoMD
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

WoMD said:

dave99ag said:

WoMD said:

HMy only concern will be college football season, though.

You can get DVR equipment for OTA stuff, so you could record CBS games. The ESPN games can be rewatched on ESPN 360, which you get access to even if you're using streaming providers. As for picture in picture, you would lose that, but how can you say that you don't watch games live and that you love to watch multiple games live ?

Sometimes I actually am here in the afternoon to watch the evening SEC games (I'm west coast), so for instance if the end of Alabama game is on the same time as the LSU game is starting I can actually watch them both live when I get home. The earlier games not so much...
Psychag
AG
We live in College Station and we went to Vue a few months ago. We use roku and roku express. Works great. We get CBS on Vue. Only $35/ month. We will get an ota for Cowboy games on Fox for Fall.
redline248
AG
How does one use watch ESPN without a subscription to one of the providers?
WoMD
redline248 said:

You don't.
tmas
AG
redline248 said:

Sling gets you a subscription
WoMD
tmas said:

redline248 said:

Sling gets you a subscription

Wouldn't that be "one of the providers"...?
redline248
AG
In my question, I meant duh dish/directv/cable, etc.
NColoradoAG
redline248 said:

In my question, I meant duh dish/directv/cable, etc.

A subscription to Sling, PS Vue, or DirectvNow gets you access to Watch ESPN
koadie
AG
We are doing Vue, and my wife isn't a big fan, but I am. It's saving us almost 90 bucks a month. We can watch it on 5 devices. Very useful.
txag2k
AG
littlebrotherag said:

We are doing Vue, and my wife isn't a big fan, but I am. It's saving us almost 90 bucks a month. We can watch it on 5 devices. Very useful.
Wife was [REALLY] not pleased for a few days (still not 100% sold) but it's too late now Although i had to pick up Hulu for her. I'll drop that as soon as youtubeTV launches in our market. It's a price jump but looks totally worth it. But still, DirecTV was costing over $225/mo (yes I had NFL package) so @ $35 for DTVNow + $8 Hulu (youtube$35?) I'm good. I'm adding a OTA antennae this weekend and will be setting up a home DVR over the next month as I have time.

For transparency (), I've had Netflix since early 2000's and Amazon prime for about 5 years now and they really help bridge the content gap.

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

$61 now and still under $90 when i swap Hulu for YoutubeTV.

footnote -

my final DTV receipt email:
Dear David,

Thank you! Your automatic payment was received and is being processed.

Account #: XXXXXXX
Date received: April 15
Payment received: $225.58
coastalAg
AG
I moved away from DirecTV to PSVue early last year and have recently just signed back up for cable with Comcast. Initially it saved me a lot of money because my DirecTV bill had ballooned so much after promotional offers.

Recently I shopped around again and cable packages have come down quite a bit. I am paying a little bit more than I was before, but I am getting HBO free for a year, I can now watch the Astros, and we like the overall experience a lot better. Easier navigation from channel to channel, no more intermittent skipping, and no more changing inputs on the tv to watch CBS.

I love all of the streaming services coming to market and the competition it is creating. I figure I will reevaluate next year when my current contract ends and see how they have matured.
koadie
AG
txag2k said:

littlebrotherag said:

Wife was [REALLY] not pleased for a few days (still not 100% sold) but it's too late now Although i had to pick up Hulu for her. I'll drop that as soon as youtubeTV launches in our market. It's a price jump but looks totally worth it. But still, DirecTV was costing over $225/mo (yes I had NFL package) so @ $35 for DTVNow + $8 Hulu (youtube$35?) I'm good. I'm adding a OTA antennae this weekend and will be setting up a home DVR over the next month as I have time.

For transparency (), I've had Netflix since early 2000's and Amazon prime for about 5 years now and they really help bridge the content gap.

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

$61 now and still under $90 when i swap Hulu for YoutubeTV.

footnote -

my final DTV receipt email:
Dear David,

Thank you! Your automatic payment was received and is being processed.

Account #: XXXXXXX
Date received: April 15
Payment received: $225.58
If I paid that much for TV, I would lose my mind.
redass1876
AG
why switch Hulu for YoutubeTV? I would switch DTVNow for it

edit: side note, prime was worth it alone for Man in the High Castle + all the faster/paid for shipping
txag2k
AG
I know right!!

redass1876 said:

edit: side note, prime was worth it alone for Man in the High Castle + all the faster/paid for shipping

Until(Unless) they bump me from the $35 DTVNow plan, I'm keeping it. I've never once used Hulu.
jja79
AG
What do you pay for internet?
redass1876
AG
txag2k said:

I know right!!

redass1876 said:

Until(Unless) they bump me from the $35 DTVNow plan, I'm keeping it. I've never once used Hulu.
My point is that YoutubeTV and DTVNow have like 95% overlap. Just curious why you would want to keep both

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.