Cutting the cord

17,544 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Pman17
NColoradoAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txag2k said:

littlebrotherag said:

We are doing Vue, and my wife isn't a big fan, but I am. It's saving us almost 90 bucks a month. We can watch it on 5 devices. Very useful.
Wife was [REALLY] not pleased for a few days (still not 100% sold) but it's too late now Although i had to pick up Hulu for her. I'll drop that as soon as youtubeTV launches in our market. It's a price jump but looks totally worth it. But still, DirecTV was costing over $225/mo (yes I had NFL package) so @ $35 for DTVNow + $8 Hulu (youtube$35?) I'm good. I'm adding a OTA antennae this weekend and will be setting up a home DVR over the next month as I have time.

For transparency (), I've had Netflix since early 2000's and Amazon prime for about 5 years now and they really help bridge the content gap.

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

$61 now and still under $90 when i swap Hulu for YoutubeTV.

footnote -

my final DTV receipt email:
Dear David,

Thank you! Your automatic payment was received and is being processed.

Account #: XXXXXXX
Date received: April 15
Payment received: $225.58
Dont get too excited yet. They will charge you a non return fee on your equipment even when you send it back. You've probably got one more call with DirecTV in your future.
txag2k
AG
jja79 said:

What do you pay for internet?
moot point. I work in IT and have had 1Gb since it came available. That's the one constant that was never getting touched.
jagouar1
AG
txag2k said:

I know right!!

redass1876 said:

why switch Hulu for YoutubeTV? I would switch DTVNow for it

edit: side note, prime was worth it alone for Man in the High Castle + all the faster/paid for shipping

Until(Unless) they bump me from the $35 DTVNow plan, I'm keeping it. I've never once used Hulu.
It would be worth looking at... the same price as dtv now and has pretty much the same lineup but includes all the hulu back catalog. If I was going to do a service that would be the one I look at first.

That's one of the biggest advantages of these streaming services in being able to quickly and easily move from provider to provider if somebody out there is doing a better job.

Personally the service I'm really waiting for is amazon to ink more "channels" deals (namely espn/secn). That is the endgame if the providers get desperate enough.

txag2k
AG
redass1876 said:

My point is that YoutubeTV and DTVNow have like 95% overlap. Just curious why you would want to keep both
Good question. I'll evaluate when I have the opportunity to try both.
txag2k
AG
jagouar1 said:

It would be worth looking at... the same price as dtv now and has pretty much the same lineup but includes all the hulu back catalog. If I was going to do a service that would be the one I look at first.

That's one of the biggest advantages of these streaming services in being able to quickly and easily move from provider to provider if somebody out there is doing a better job.

Personally the service I'm really waiting for is amazon to ink more "channels" deals (namely espn/secn). That is the endgame if the providers get desperate enough.
Completely agree about streaming services. Love not being tied into a 2 year contract. Also, ya I may get hit with some dumb arse DirecTV "stop letting us pound" you fee but no matter the cost, totally worth it!

I'm also thinking Amazon will be a big player in the years to come and we keep our prime for shipping and other stuff, the media content is a bonus
jja79
AG
It's free?
WoMD
NColoradoAG said:

txag2k said:

littlebrotherag said:

We are doing Vue, and my wife isn't a big fan, but I am. It's saving us almost 90 bucks a month. We can watch it on 5 devices. Very useful.
Wife was [REALLY] not pleased for a few days (still not 100% sold) but it's too late now Although i had to pick up Hulu for her. I'll drop that as soon as youtubeTV launches in our market. It's a price jump but looks totally worth it. But still, DirecTV was costing over $225/mo (yes I had NFL package) so @ $35 for DTVNow + $8 Hulu (youtube$35?) I'm good. I'm adding a OTA antennae this weekend and will be setting up a home DVR over the next month as I have time.

For transparency (), I've had Netflix since early 2000's and Amazon prime for about 5 years now and they really help bridge the content gap.

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

footnote -

Dear David,

Dont get too excited yet. They will charge you a non return fee on your equipment even when you send it back. You've probably got one more call with DirecTV in your future.

When I cancelled over a month ago they said they'd send a box to return the equipment, but I have yet to receive one. Does it normally take this long?

Also, when I cancelled DIRECTV the first time when I moved 6 years ago I returned the equipment as requested with no additional charge. I think you got ripped off and assume everyone does.
WoMD
No amc, no viacom, no MLB network = no hulu for me

Too many gaps that don't exist with DIRECTV now to switch just for DVR and CBS.

And something else I just read that I wasn't aware of:

"Recordings are supported on all channels, but some won't let you skip ads unless you pay an extra $15 per month for expanded DVR, which also increases storage to 200 hours."
txag2k
AG
jja79 said:

It's free?

Nope. About $125 I think. Doesn't matter though since I would get rid of all services before interwebs.

jja79
AG
So you're paying $61 + $125 or $186 for TV and Internet. I pay $163 for Xfinity 1 which includes great wifi and every channel I think I might ever want.
NColoradoAG
WoMD said:

NColoradoAG said:

txag2k said:

littlebrotherag said:

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

footnote -

Dear David,

When I cancelled over a month ago they said they'd send a box to return the equipment, but I have yet to receive one. Does it normally take this long?

Also, when I cancelled DIRECTV the first time when I moved 6 years ago I returned the equipment as requested with no additional charge. I think you got ripped off and assume everyone does.

No, it doesnt take that long. I always received the boxes within a few days.

Didn't get ripped off, just have had to call every time I return equipment because they throw fees on the account.
WoMD
NColoradoAG said:

WoMD said:

NColoradoAG said:

txag2k said:

littlebrotherag said:

QWe are doing Vue, and my wife isn't a big fan, but I am. It's saving us almost 90 bucks a month. We can watch it on 5 devices. Very useful.

summary:

before
$225 direcTV
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

After:
$35 DTVNow
$8 Hulu
$10 Netflix
$8.35 Amazon Prime

footnote -

Dear David,

No, it doesnt take that long. I always received the boxes within a few days.

Didn't get ripped off, just have had to call every time I return equipment because they throw fees on the account.

Weird. I haven't had any charges, but I guess I need to keep an eye on it just in case. They did send me a debit card for the part of the month I paid for before cancelling though.
SF2004
AG
I wish we would stop calling this cutting the cord, its not. It is taking advantage of other options to get the same content for a cheaper price and giving up amenities (DVR, boxes, etc). Cutting the cord is canceling and living with just OTA.

I am leaning towards DTV now because of the ridiculous offer that AT&T is doing right now. It also gives me all the channels I need. (Vue doesn't have Viacom for instance)

2 lines unlimited $100
DTVNow $50 package at $25 off
HBO free
Home fiber 50 down for $30

$155 total.

My question is about the individual apps for the channels. Which ones do you have access to, can't find a list anywhere. If I am on the watchespn app streaming ESPN does it count towards my two streams? TNT, TBS (live feed)? What if someone is on the Nick Jr app watching on demand contact (not the live feed)?

redass1876
AG
Why do you say no DVR? DTVNow has recording capability and YoutubeTV has unlimited cloud DVR.

Why do you say no boxes? Isn't this a good thing? One less point of failure (my AT&T boxes fail every couple years it seems). Removing a box and going wireless seems exactly like "cutting the cord" to me since you are literally removing a cord

And no, WatchESPN does not count as a stream

And good luck keeping that deal beyond the first year
txag2k
AG
jja79 said:

So you're paying $61 + $125 or $186 for TV and Internet. I pay $163 for Xfinity 1 which includes great wifi and every channel I think I might ever want.
1Gb? I don't have a choice for a provider as Suddenlink is the only 1Gb option at the moment.
txag2k
AG
Quote:

Why do you say no DVR? DTVNow has recording capability
Can I record DIRECTV NOW shows to a DVR?
redass1876
AG
Well i had heard 200 hours but apparently not. Youtube TV i have seen unlimited cloud plastered on there website
irish pete ag06
AG
tmas said:

Cloud said:

I'm not sure I get the infatuation with cutting the cord. Cable tv is really not that expensive. And you get dvr+every channel you want without having to worry about buffering or data caps.
I'm cutting the cord next month when I move into a new house. For me it's the fact that I have 100+ channels and only watch sports and my wife seems to only watch Friends, Seinfeld and Chick Flicks. The kids are hooked on Netflix.

Why pay for content I never used. Save at least $50/month, $600/year.

#DaveRamseyApproved
Are you married to my wife?
aggielax48
AG
Where do you get 2 lines unlimited for 100 bucks?
stridulent
AG
For those complaining about not getting AMC, etc. A lot of these basic channels post shows on their websites and also have Apps for roku and smart devices. It is all free.
BEaggie08
AG
aggielax48 said:

Where do you get 2 lines unlimited for 100 bucks?
TMobile
BEaggie08
AG
stridulent said:

For those complaining about not getting AMC, etc. A lot of these basic channels post shows on their websites and also have Apps for roku and smart devices. It is all free.
and to watch content on most of those apps, you are required to login with your service provider in order to prove that you're paying for that channel.
WoMD
BEaggie08 said:

stridulent said:

and to watch content on most of those apps, you are required to login with your service provider in order to prove that you're paying for that channel.

Exactly. A lot have a couple free episodes but to see them all you need to have a service that includes it.
aggielax48
AG
But he's quoting savings on DirectTV which are associated with an Att plan. What am I missing?
BEaggie08
AG
Gotcha.
koadie
AG
For those who think that cable isn't that expensive, keep in mind, what's not expensive to you, may be pretty expensive to someone else, i.e me.

You're talking to one of the poors.
SF2004
AG
aggielax48 said:

But he's quoting savings on DirectTV which are associated with an Att plan. What am I missing?
My bad. I mixed up my numbers.

It is Two lines for $145 and four for $185. I think it is T-Mobile I was looking at that had $100 for two lines.

I still think it is a good deal, I am just trying to dig for the "expiration" date.
Matsui
AG
But you pay for Texags?
koadie
AG
Matsui said:

But you pay for Texags?
Gift.
edwardsk2003
AG
Or 70 if you go in w another couple...and your wife never uses 2 GB...
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
For those who use HULU, the commercial free version would be hard to come back from for $4/mo.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Anyone else who has been without cable TV for a few years travel to a hotel with 300 channels with NOTHING on and think, yep, that's why I did it.
AgsWin2011
AG
What don't you people get?

Amazon Fire Stick > Jailbreak > Kodi app

Free everything plus pay per view sports.... All free when you pay $50 for the fire stick!
AggieFrog
AG
Heismenberg said:

What don't you people get?

Amazon Fire Stick > Jailbreak > Kodi app

Free everything plus pay per view sports.... All free when you pay $50 for the fire stick!

So, stealing content? No thanks.
zafzo
I use the antenna for local channels and PS Vue for everything else. You don't need a playstation for Vue. You can get it on a firestick, your phone, chromecast, and a few others.

It's fantastic. I went from a $250 a month internet/cable bill to $70(internet and Vue) and still have every channel I previously watched on cable including HBO.

Have a Tivo for recording local. The only thing that would make it better would be if Tivo added PS Vue as an app so I wouldn't have to switch sources and remotes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.