Official Overwatch Thread

57,921 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cromagnum
Predmid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The "dps support" is a role that would is incredibly hard to do right. Too far to one direction and you're soldier 76 who does DPS and can AOE heal a team. Too far in the other and you're Mercy. Too mediocre in the middle and you have Zenyatta who doesn't shine in any one particular area and is outclassed at both.

With the latest spoiler for a sniper/healer, I'm curious as to see where the new character falls.
Predmid
AG
Oh.

I guess if no one has seen the teaser.

TelcoAg
AG
Zenyatta needs the ability to teleport or do a 10 meter jump back, something for evasion. He's basically unusable unless you can hide with a Reinhardt
Sixers_Fan
AG
or have the discord orb apply a slow as well/let him self target with the the harmony orb which is also given a speed boost. I find it hard to think that blizzard will just completely add a new ability.
3rdGen2015
AG
quote:
The "dps support" is a role that would is incredibly hard to do right. Too far to one direction and you're soldier 76 who does DPS and can AOE heal a team. Too far in the other and you're Mercy. Too mediocre in the middle and you have Zenyatta who doesn't shine in any one particular area and is outclassed at both.

With the latest spoiler for a sniper/healer, I'm curious as to see where the new character falls.
Yeah, I'm really interested to see how they do this. Will she just be a weaker Widow with the ability to shoot 76's biotic field or will her bullets be somehow made of biotic field so she has to shoot her own teammates to be able to heal them? Also, what will her ultimate be? Will she actually be Pharah's mom like the reddit community seems to think? So many questions.
TelcoAg
AG
What's weird is that every character has an ability to close a gap or reposition themselves effectively except for the floating guy
Sixers_Fan
AG
I'd hope Blizzard doesn't pull a Riot and actually reworks heroes (to a point) before it's too late. Hopefully they place a premium on making sure everyone is viable in team comps going forward instead of just starting to churn out mostly unplayable heroes (minus their 1st unpatched week of brokenness) a la League of Legends. Considering we won't be having to pay for/earn every new character, I have faith. Zen could definitely be a beast with some sort of mobility, or turn his right click into something like a Syndra knockback? Only tying in LoL bc its the only game where I can draw worthwhile references.
Predmid
AG
Well, league has the terrifying prospect of balancing 131 champions as opposed to 21. that's a near impossible task to make it so all of them are capable of seeing competitive play. It's just not feasible. In addition, teams in league ban & draft team comps before a match, overwatch has the advantage of giving players the ability to change heroes in the middle of a match to suit what is needed right then and there.

And there will ALWAYS be some champs and heroes that will perform more optimally than others based on the skill of the player. That's just part of any game.

And talking about mechanical design of champions, let's talk zenyatta. All characters have big peaks and valleys in various attributes. Reinhardt is great in close quarters & tanking bur really bad dealing with ranged threats alone. He has definite peaks and valleys and excels and out performs many champs in one area, but is one of the worst in others. Then you have say a hero 76. Good at range, decent at close combat, has decent sustain, and is a real jack of all trades middleman in a lot of areas. His peaks & valleys of effectiveness are very even across the board. Decent at everything, not excellent or bad at anything. Useful, though maybe not ideal, in all situations.

Zenyatta on the other hand has very low valleys (extremely squishy and low mobility) while having no real super strength that makes those tradeoffs worth it. He's not going to be super effective DPS, he's not super awesome healer, and he doesn't truly excel at any one given thing. His weaknesses aren't worth his downsides. Instead of making his downsides less terrible (immobile squishy) I think the better approach is give his upside a higher peak. How to do that, I'm not sure, but making him excel at something would help distinguish his identity more.
Sixers_Fan
AG
Had to get home to look up my username... It is BerrySchiavo#11166
MBAR
AG
Yeah, hadn't played the PS4 much. Tried to play tonight. Competitive without a group is a waste of time. Its completely worthless. Don't think I won a single game and there was ZERO communication.
Sixers_Fan
AG
overwatch is one of the worst SOLOQ games of all time unfortunately
dwit392
Yeah, I really think 2-3 is the best number for gaining rank, unless you put together a whole squad of really good players. That way you won't face 5,6 stacks who are really good and you will generally have a fighting change every game. Solo Q has been brutal at times, mostly at rank 51-54, but I have made it up to 62 mostly solo. There is usually an average of one other person chatting per team on PS4
KidDoc
AG
quote:
overwatch is one of the worst SOLOQ games of all time unfortunately
On PC I've had overall great experience solo q. Note that I'm in the 40's so maybe people are just more chill because we aren't very good, but it is tons of fun. Of course it is always better with friends but being in my 40's I don't have tons of friends who play. Occasionally I get into some texags groups but it is not consistent.

Patch today to fix some more stuff. I was a victim of the leaving bug yesterday where we won 2 matches, a guy left, lost 2, then he came back and we won in the overtime (he lost power at his house). We all gained less than 10% of rank up for that tough fought win-- annoying! It was meant to only minimize how much we lost due to loosing man down but it applied the decreased change to our up rank as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
benMath08
AG
Solo queue is sort of like looking into a mirror, and you can get a good perspective on a player based on their feelings towards it.
3rdGen2015
AG
I finally got my placements done. Went 6-4, rank 54. Not bad considering I went support for probably half of those matches.
MBAR
AG
One thing that I changed is that I decided to stop playing support when solo queuing. I'd normally go tank or healer, because no one else seems to. But honestly, what is the point of healing people who can't kill the other team? I find that if I instead select DPS like Soldier, Reaper, or Pharah, then I am able to impact the game way more. Its still not great, but it definitely doesn't feel like quite so many stomps as it did before.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
One thing that I changed is that I decided to stop playing support when solo queuing. I'd normally go tank or healer, because no one else seems to. But honestly, what is the point of healing people who can't kill the other team? I find that if I instead select DPS like Soldier, Reaper, or Pharah, then I am able to impact the game way more. Its still not great, but it definitely doesn't feel like quite so many stomps as it did before.
I've started going Roadhog more and more. I can usually get gold/silver in everything including time on point and healing with him. Hooking enemy pharrah, Genji, and lucio and blowing them up can also be huge.

I can do pretty well with reaver, Mcree, and Soldier but I just think/hop others can do better. I also play Lucio a good bit and feel like I'm getting better at focusing on healing/staying alive and worry less about kills.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamusc
AG
How the hell do I continually get stuck with CoD bros wanting to do all Junkrats or Genjis during my placement matches....
KidDoc
AG
quote:
How the hell do I continually get stuck with CoD bros wanting to do all Junkrats or Genjis during my placement matches....
My placement matches were mostly made up of getting destroyed by genji or pharrah/mercy duo's who likely ended up in the 60+ bracket (ended up 3-7). Once you suffer through those 10 matches I've had a great time on 90% of my competitive matches in my 37-47 range.
Predmid
AG
quote:

HEY NOW! Hexrat comps are nothing to sneeze at.
Cromagnum
AG
Beem having a lot of fun with Zarya lately, especially on king of the hill maps. Nothing like supercharging when the other team is full of dumbasses that dont stop shooting you. Also having great success shieldung in front of turrets and junkrat spam.
Hagen95
AG
A good Zarya can really help out a team.

Pharah and McCree are my go to chars still. But I typically try to play every char at one point or another in a night. Except for Mei, she can die in a fire.

Sixers_Fan
AG
Decided to just solo queue the rest of my games for placement and probably took a little bit of a hit because i lost 4 of the last 5. 6-4 got me 49 in my placement though which is pretty close to most of yall in here If anyone ever needs a support/tank to queue up with I'm on from about 10-12 most days.
joemeister
AG
Played a few games with Kiddoc last night. We may not have won all our games, but we sure gave the other team hell.
Sixers_Fan
AG
you didn't lose, you just ran out of time
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Played a few games with Kiddoc last night. We may not have won all our games, but we sure gave the other team hell.
But we won half time!
chigger
AG
Yeah im sorry KD about the other night when I played with you. My connection has been horrible lately. I'll have such bad lag I can't even move. Always seems to happen in ranked matches too. I was irritated and just quit.
Vade281
AG
Went 7-3 and got placed at 53. Pretty happy with that. Mostly played as Junkrat
Thunder18
AG
Has anyone else won ranked matches playing with 4+ people as one character? Some friends and I have won games with 4 of us as Winstons and 5 Junkrats...usually as long as the 5th/6th character is a good support class and we can communicate with them we end up wrecking people even though we are kind of goofing off.
Hagen95
AG
I played some competitive last night and we ran 4 soldier 76. We won all three matches we played.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I played some competitive last night and we ran 4 soldier 76. We won all three matches we played.
Many of the high end competition teams are running 2 tanks/2 support. Usually not duplicates though. Usually Reinhart with one of the other tanks + Lucio/Mercy. It does seem to work pretty well. Had a few matches with 4 tanks and those were pretty scary when they all rush the point.

I'm really feeling Reaper lately getting very good with him and feel like I can take almost anything one on one. He will probably get nerfed soon because I can actually kill people with him.
chigger
AG
I was ranked 50 after my test games. I went up to 51 on my first ranked match. Since then it's been like 4-5 straight losses and I'm 46 now. Even if our average is the same or better, it's like a complete steamroll. Pretty frustrating. I'm assuming the other team is a group.

This is solo q though so it sounds like that may be the norm from what y'all are saying. Be nice if they would match pickup vs pickup though.
chigger
AG
Man I'm the complete opposite with Reaper. I just get wasted with him. Zarya, Pharrah, Dva, and Torb are the only ones I have somehwhat consistent success with. I just don't see how people are so good with Reaper and Tracer.

Honestly my worst are Reaper, Tracer, Genji, Reinheart. If anyone has pointers, I'm all ears

fta09
AG
There's a YouTube channel from earlier in the thread with quick guides on every character. They also have general guides and map specific guides.
BusterAg
AG
If you play Xbox1, add me. agranger65. So tired of no one talking.

I do zarya the best, but also good with lucio, 76, mia, and bastion in certain situations. Almost always do bastion just as a change up if we are losing, and there is no junkrat or genji.

I'm getting better at roadhog, reaper, Pharah.

I'm a terrible sniper.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.