Official Overwatch Thread

58,963 Views | 786 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cromagnum
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just picked it up on PC and my GTX 970 game in today so I'm going to give it a whirl. Will be interesting to compare to my PS4 gameplay. Looking forward to playing with more TexAgs people!
MBAR
AG
Oh my tag is BeansAndRice#11993
KidDoc
AG
GoT Spoilers but too funny to not post:

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
hassan10s
AG
It's like a completely different game. In a good way
Naveronski
AG
quote:
Rumors that competitive mode will be patched in today for PC, early next week for consoles
Yep
Ewok It Out08
AG
Patch is live. Appears that some DDOS issues exist causing high latency for some. Have not played to see if this is true or not.
MBAR
AG
Ugh, guess I gotta level up on PC to play competitive.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Patch is live. Appears that some DDOS issues exist causing high latency for some. Have not played to see if this is true or not.

Only a matter of time before they were hit. Had that issue with D3 a few times, hackers with nothing to do.
Sentinel
AG
May not necessarily be malicious. Could just be an unusually high volume of users.
AtlAg05
AG
Blizzard note says DDOS attacks against ISPs.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, tons of ISPs, including Time Warner here in Austin, getting knocked out right now.
Sentinel
AG
Damn, didn't realize it's that widespread.
chigger
AG
Would you guys mind if I add some of y'all? It might be nice to have a list of people on the different platforms. I'm only on PC for this one though.
KidDoc
AG
So far I'm 0/5 in Competition so at least I'll start at the bottom! Played a few with 2 others then just did some randoms. I get on fire now & then but so far none of the teams use voice chat I'm the only one using and they respond by typing but not voice chatting.

Also I haven't figured out how to join team voice chat if already in group voice chat.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
joemeister
AG
Finished my 10 rounds, won 4 lost 6. Two of the losses were due to people leaving early. I have a feeling that those types of problems will start to be less frequent after people get past the initial 10 rounds. To be fair, one of our wins also came from that.

After the 10 rounds, I'm rank 44. Played 3 more and reached rank 45. I have no idea what is considered poor/mediocre/good. I'm hoping that 45 is on the slightly better than mediocre level. One thing I've noticed, the people that aren't in an organized group still refuse to play tanks/support. In every loss it pretty much came down to stubborn players refusing to swap off their Genji/Hanzo/Tracer to help counter the other team's strength.

Most frustrating loss we had was on Watchpoint Gibraltar. Our team started out on offense, pushed the payload to the end with 3 minutes to spare. Other team also pushed to the end but needed overtime to get it across. Of course this counts as a draw so we went to the coin flip. We then have to defend for 2 minutes against them pushing to the first waypoint. That has to be one of the easiest payload waypoints in the game. So frustrating. I hope they change the tie break mechanic to the best time/furthest push, especially considering most of the maps are set up where the first capture point/first payload waypoint are fairly easy to reach.

One last thing I noticed. When I played with a 3 man group, we never played against teams with 4, 5 or 6 man groups. Only against other 3 man groups. I wonder if that system will be staying in place after most people get ranked?

Anyway, I had fun the entire time. I have to say, this game has been way more fun than I expected it to be.
MBAR
AG
I suppose its just my new MMR, but my experience on PC so far is that people are fell less willing to play support or tank in general. Its fairly frustrating to be in a group with 5 offensive characters.
Madmarttigan
AG
I think this game is basically sucks if you have to play by yourself. People won't go what the team needs or they will stay on a character and get destroyed instead of switching to counter the other team. I really only play it with friends online.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Finished my 10 rounds, won 4 lost 6. Two of the losses were due to people leaving early. I have a feeling that those types of problems will start to be less frequent after people get past the initial 10 rounds. To be fair, one of our wins also came from that.

After the 10 rounds, I'm rank 44. Played 3 more and reached rank 45. I have no idea what is considered poor/mediocre/good. I'm hoping that 45 is on the slightly better than mediocre level. One thing I've noticed, the people that aren't in an organized group still refuse to play tanks/support. In every loss it pretty much came down to stubborn players refusing to swap off their Genji/Hanzo/Tracer to help counter the other team's strength.

Most frustrating loss we had was on Watchpoint Gibraltar. Our team started out on offense, pushed the payload to the end with 3 minutes to spare. Other team also pushed to the end but needed overtime to get it across. Of course this counts as a draw so we went to the coin flip. We then have to defend for 2 minutes against them pushing to the first waypoint. That has to be one of the easiest payload waypoints in the game. So frustrating. I hope they change the tie break mechanic to the best time/furthest push, especially considering most of the maps are set up where the first capture point/first payload waypoint are fairly easy to reach.

One last thing I noticed. When I played with a 3 man group, we never played against teams with 4, 5 or 6 man groups. Only against other 3 man groups. I wonder if that system will be staying in place after most people get ranked?

Anyway, I had fun the entire time. I have to say, this game has been way more fun than I expected it to be.
My understanding is that the rank is 1-100. So you are slightly below the average. I suspect my ranking will come in the 20-30's range.

Luckily I play this as a game so I really don't care as long as I'm having fun. Some of the Genji & Pharrah players I have encountered in competitive are just mind blowingly good.
3rdGen2015
AG
quote:
Also I haven't figured out how to join team voice chat if already in group voice chat.
When in game, hit "P" to bring up the social(?) screen and you can see which channel your voice chat will go to
Predmid
AG
Yeah, I think I've hit my limit of 'competitive' play. I enjoy casual. I'm a casual gamer. Competitive play sucks.

Let me play my fun mode and you guys can stress out about losing to a team of 6 adderal ingesting 12 year olds.
VonDownByTheRiver
quote:
I think this game is basically sucks if you have to play by yourself. People won't go what the team needs or they will stay on a character and get destroyed instead of switching to counter the other team. I really only play it with friends online.
You just described every competitive online multiplayer game.
Hagen95
AG
Yeah I played 5 competitive games last night before I went back to casual. Playing with randoms on a 6 man competitive team can be really frustrating. And at least two times someone quit before the game even started and we got kicked out and back to the end of the queue.

I'm sure I'll keep trying but not until I get a group together that will play together.

This weeks rumble is really wheels off. Pharah and Mercy only with shortened times on the jump jets. Lots of flying around.
Predmid
AG
quote:
I'm sure I'll keep trying but not until I get a group together that will play together.

this is worse. You only get paired up in big groups vs. other big groups. The other big groups are better than your groups. Trust me.
KidDoc
AG
I am hopeful that once I get my low competitive seed they will be much more fun. Right now I'm matched against other unseeded and I promise some of them will end up top 10%.
benMath08
AG
ITT many people will discover why game developers have been hiding true MMR values from users for years.

On average, you will be the average player in your game. Not the worst, but certainly not the best either. Your 6 man team, on average, will be roughly equally skilled as the other 6 man team. Everyone likes to assume their group of 6 friends playing for fun is the only one like it in the world and all other 6 mans are hyper-competitive teenagers on stimulants looking to go pro.
Bigsteve713
AG
played my placement games and came out at level 48

I find it to be really hit or miss though, either you get with a team that knows how to play and counter or you get guys that want to attack with a widow and sit in the back and be completely useless
Thunder18
AG
Weekly brawl is pretty insane this week, like watching a bunch of pissed of hornets fight each other
Hagen95
AG
I'm okay playing against better teams, in fact, I'll take that over playing 6 random new guys. I just want to be able to communicate with a team and have something better than chat spam in return. I can usually find 3-4 guys on the friends list to play with that make the game awesome fun to play. Just didn't have any luck last night.

Gangnam Style
AG
What are your thoughts on the coin flip for sudden death? I hate it.
joemeister
AG
quote:
What are your thoughts on the coin flip for sudden death? I hate it.
I hate it. Tie breaker should be the quickest to capture or farthest payload push.
Azariah
AG
Anyone on Xbox One want to team up to play competitive once it lands next week?
joemeister
AG
quote:
quote:

My understanding is that the rank is 1-100. So you are slightly below the average. I suspect my ranking will come in the 20-30's range.

Luckily I play this as a game so I really don't care as long as I'm having fun. Some of the Genji & Pharrah players I have encountered in competitive are just mind blowingly good.

Apparently the top professional players are being ranked between 60 - 75. People who play support are also getting ranked around 10 spots lower than their teammates.

I feel confident in claiming to be slightly better than mediocre now.
3rdGen2015
AG
Yeah one of the top Genji players (Seagull) went 10-0 earlier and got a 71. So basically if I'm above like 45 I'll be really happy.
Gangnam Style
AG
Finished my placement. I'm ranked 56 after going 6-4.

KidDoc, I'll try to invite you to my group one of these days.
Hagen95
AG
Finally finished my ranking matches (36) so we'll see how it goes from there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.