*****The Official Houston Texans 2024: Slowik strikes back****

108,182 Views | 1719 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by RVAg02
jimmo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
yup
that was a tuff one. Ball got on Tank before he was ready I think
Ag_07
AG
Yes but point being that with the addition of Diggs Tank is not being utilized like a typical WR.

He's still a valuable asset so they're trying to find ways to get the ball in his hands.

Not sure who to compare him to but I get the sense they're going to move him all over the place and find creative ways to get him the ball as a wrinkle. His volume is going to decrease but he'll bring that big play ability where every time he touches it he'll have a shot to bust one open.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Best moment of the night at a local sports bar: 3 Bears fans - 2 nice guys and the 1 a*hole who screams bloody murder at every play. Got up and screamed GO GO GO GO YEAHHHH on their not-pick 6. When it was challenged and obviously hit the ground, nearly the entire bar yelled GO GO GO GO GO at him.

Second best moment: The reaction of my social recluse of a brother who doesn't own a TV or a computer (just a phone) when he saw the new kickoff format for the first time with no prior knowledge of it changing.
Texan_Aggie
AG
It will take Tank and Diggs time to settle in. It's also hard with how solid Nico has been so far.

CJ has not been end of 2023 CJ, so I'm not concerned right now. If it's still like this in Week 5/6, then I think we have a problem.
Ag_07
AG
The good news is that the talent on this team is good enough to win even when CJ isn't at his best.
gougler08
AG
jimmo said:

yup
that was a tuff one. Ball got on Tank before he was ready I think
I mean...it hit him right in the hands at facemask level, he has to catch that
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes but point being that with the addition of Diggs Tank is not being utilized like a typical WR.

He's still a valuable asset so they're trying to find ways to get the ball in his hands.

Not sure who to compare him to but I get the sense they're going to move him all over the place and find creative ways to get him the ball as a wrinkle. His volume is going to decrease but he'll bring that big play ability where every time he touches it he'll have a shot to bust one open.
I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional 2-back shotgun formation with Mixon and Dell on either side of CJ. I doubt Dell can block much, but just the threat of him there for a handoff or a swing pass will make the defense have to pay attention to him because he can burn past anything in the front 7.

Despite all the penalties, I loved how physical the defense was. Especially lighting up Caleb on the sideline when he decided to not be a QB and keep running.
Ags #1
AG
Wow, Bryce young getting benched
WES2006AG
AG
Ags #1 said:

Thank god Lovie Smith saved us from Bryce.
BayAg_14
I'm not 100% that Texans were going to take Bryce at two if the Panthers took CJ. Probably would have taken Anderson at two. Glad we didn't have to find out! Bryce appears to be a bust.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Ags #1 said:

Will have to keep tabs and so some homework on the top #1 disaster, #2 fantastic draft classes are all time.

I assume the top of the mountain is 2007 - #1 JaMarcus Russell, #2 Calvin Johnson
tjack16
AG
I often wonder if we did have the #1 pick would they have taken Young or stuck with Stroud? Guess we will never know but still I've always been curious
LB12Diamond
AG
WES2006AG said:

Ags #1 said:

That little segment they did before the game last night was great. It was interesting they included Caleb in it and made it as if he's going to be great. We shall see but there's no way to know at this time. My guess is nope bc he keeps trying to do make plays with his legs and that's not going to work in the pros like it did in college. He missed some open guys several times in the game.
WES2006AG
AG
LB12Diamond said:

WES2006AG said:

Ags #1 said:

That little segment they did before the game last night was great. It was interesting they included Caleb in it and made it as if he's going to be great. We shall see but there's no way to know at this time. My guess is nope bc he keeps trying to do make plays with his legs and that's not going to work in the pros like it did in college. He missed some open guys several times in the game.
Yea, there was way too much comparing Caleb to CJ last night. Caleb might end up being great but CJ already has a proven, if short, body of work in the NFL.
Max Power
AG
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41288868/sources-andy-dalton-replacing-bryce-young-panthers-qb

Quote:

He became the third player in the past 20 seasons to average 4 yards or under per dropback in four straight starts. He has three interceptions and no touchdowns in two starts this season.

Tell me that's not an obituary. Put me in the category that thinks anyone drafted by Carolina in that spot has a bad start to their career. I don't know what Stroud or Richardson looks like in Carolina, but I will say that Carolina was the worst possible place for Young to get drafted. The thing I will go to bat for Stroud for though above the others is he lifted this team up. Everyone thought our o-line was dismal and they played like they've never played before, even sustaining a historic number of injuries, but they kept going to protect him. Look at what Nico has been since CJ showed up last year.

I'm not rooting against Young at all, I just think it's clear he's in the wrong place and needs to go elsewhere. You want to hear an insane theory that just might work? A trade to Cleveland. Carolina could get rid of him for pennies on the dollar. He won't cost Cleveland much and there's no telling where this Watson situation goes. I can say that any moral issues anyone has with Watson aren't going to be coming with Young. Better receivers, better o-line, better pretty much everything. Carolina has to draft another QB and they aren't keeping Young around for that to happen. Watson is still untradeable due to that contract but that could work for both teams.
nbbob
I remember watching the 2023 draft and the analysts were gushing over Young and saying he was going to a better situation in Carolina that CJ was and would be set up to win. How'd that work out?
tjack16
AG
nbbob said:

I remember watching the 2023 draft and the analysts were gushing over Young and saying he was going to a better situation in Carolina that CJ was and would be set up to win. How'd that work out?

I remember thinking I'd be happy with either of them. I thought they'd both be stars

Jury is still out on young but it's not looking promising
nbbob
tjack16 said:

nbbob said:

I remember thinking I'd be happy with either of them. I thought they'd both be stars

Jury is still out on young but it's not looking promising

I never thought Young would be that good and he could still prove me wrong. I'm not a scout or evaluator but my gut feeling was the Texans would be much better off with Stroud.
LB12Diamond
AG
It's hard to predict QBs from Bama and Ohio State bc they have so much talent around them. Just glad CJ looks like the real deal.
gougler08
AG
Watching the Eagles blow it last night, I'll definitely take a 2-0 start even with the bumps
IrishAg
gougler08 said:

Watching the Eagles blow it last night, I'll definitely take a 2-0 start even with the bumps

The eagles lost, Holly **** I turned the game off when they got the first down after the 2 minute warning

Yeah, really happy we're 2-0
zooguy96
AG
Look at all the teams who were good last year and have already lost (or, in the cowgirl's case, got blown out).

The NFL is difficult. If it were easy, it'd be called the Big 12.

Still some stuff to clean up, but nothing like 2 years ago. So glad we have Demeco, Stroud, etc.

I got to meet Demeco his first year in the league. Was working at Reliant Energy at the time, and he and Owen Daniels came up to sign autographs.
gougler08
AG
IrishAg said:

gougler08 said:

The eagles lost, Holly **** I turned the game off when they got the first down after the 2 minute warning

Barkley dropped a wide open 3rd and 3 (perfect throw) that would have easily sealed the game
LB12Diamond
AG
Ravens play the Cowboys this weekend.

So

Ravens are starting 0-3 or Cowboys 1-2.
LB12Diamond
AG
He did drop the pass and that's why you run the ball there.
W
AG
speaking of giving credit to Lovie...

does credit need to be given to BoB for the 4-year contract to Fairbairn in 2020?

he's been a critical, critical part of the DeMeco era
canadiaggie
AG
gougler08 said:

IrishAg said:

gougler08 said:

Barkley dropped a wide open 3rd and 3 (perfect throw) that would have easily sealed the game

Sirianni got cute, gave my fantasy opponent a chance to get points with Drake London, which he did and won. Glad the Eagles lost, screw Sirianni.
Ag_07
AG
Sirianni is going to find himself without a job if he doesn't get his shlt together.

There was chatter he was on the hot seat last season after their collapse down the stretch.
W
AG
regarding Bryce Young...

he was the first million dollar NIL player -- he was already a millionaire before the draft

has that impacted his situation in Carolina
Texan_Aggie
AG
No - I think being 5'9 175lbs and coming out of a system that has had QBs look good because of all world receivers and runningbacks who can hide your deficiencies is what has impacted him.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Texans an impressive 2.5 point road favorite over the Vikes.
gougler08
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Fairly surprising based on how the Vikes have played so far (beating SF at home might be the best win anyone has so far this season)
Max Power
AG
gougler08 said:

Fairly surprising based on how the Vikes have played so far (beating SF at home might be the best win anyone has so far this season)
The Saints win in Dallas last weekend has been my favorite.
zooguy96
AG
Max Power said:

gougler08 said:

The Saints win in Dallas last weekend has been my favorite.

That should be everyone's favorite.
Sea Speed
AG
Was watching the game and the natl broadcasters were regularly pronouncing Al-Shaair's name wrong. Usually don't see that. Caught me off guard. Could hear the in house announcers pronouncing it correctly in the background in the stadium.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.