*****The Official Houston Texans 2024: Slowik strikes back****

32,532 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by JCA1
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Apparently the Mia, chiefs and Ravens games are all within 11 days. That's brutal.
Texan_Aggie
AG
We'll have the #1 seed locked up by then so we can rest our starters during that stretch.
JCA1
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

We'll have the #1 seed locked up by then so we can rest our starters during that stretch.

I like your attitude.
Max Power
AG
If this is true there are two separate and brutal three game stretches:

Week 9 @ Jets (TNF)
Week 10 v Lions (SNF)
Week 11 @ Dallas (MNF)

Week 15 v Dolphins
Week 16 @ Chiefs (Saturday)
Week 17 v Ravens (Xmas)
Texan_Aggie
AG

Ag_07
AG
No BYE until Week 14 is rough
LB12Diamond
AG
That is one crazy schedule.
Iowaggie
AG
Texans on Netflix

Buck Compton
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

Thanks for the gift, NFL. That's brutal.

Need to win 6-7 in those first 9 games really. Back half of the schedule is just awful, especially the sprint to the end with a game on a freaking Wednesday.
Buck Compton
AG
Battle red vs. the Lions is going to be fun though. Their uniforms are awesome.
Jackal99
AG
My friend in Appleton confirmed he has his family's four season tickets for the Green Bay game. Just booked flights for my son and I. I was at the last Texans game in Green Bay - my son was 3 then and quite jealous he didn't get to go. He's had this one on his radar for several years, and is quite likely going to flip his lid when I tell him in the morning.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Tough schedule but there are some positives. Texans could
Go 10-3 or 9-4 with a 5-0 or 4-1 division record before the week 14 bye. The stretch run could include 3 division leaders And an eliminated Titans. With Miami and Balt at home the path to the 2 or 1 seed might be there. A 2 seed is a pretty good spot to make the conference title game with 2 home wins.
Buck Compton
AG
LincolnBorglum79 said:

Tough schedule but there are some positives. Texans could
Go 10-3 or 9-4 with a 5-0 or 4-1 division record before the week 14 bye. The stretch run could include 3 division leaders And an eliminated Titans. With Miami and Balt at home the path to the 2 or 1 seed might be there. A 2 seed is a pretty good spot to make the conference title game with 2 home wins.
I'm looking at just hoping to maybe win the division again. I don't think a 1 seed is seriously even in play…

No room for error on that schedule. Can't ever assume 5-0 in division. Bills, Packers, Jets, Lions, Cowboys are all difficult games. Glad we get Minnesota and Chicago early. Jags and Colts will still be tough.

Then of course Dolphins, Chiefs, Ravens down the stretch. This team could be drastically improved over last year and still only have 8-10 wins again.
Ag_07
AG
I think the jury is still out the Bills. They've been gutted and I'm not sure Allen can do it all by himself.

Jags don't scare me either.
The Porkchop Express
Ag_07 said:

I think the jury is still out the Bills. They've been gutted and I'm not sure Allen can do it all by himself.

Jags don't scare me either.

Sunshine regressed in wins, completions, completion %, yards, TDs, threw more INTs, and got sacked more in 2023 than in 2022. You hate to see it

His QB class is looking like an all-time dud after 3 years: Him, Z Wilson, Lance, Justin Fields, Mac Jones all taken in the first 15 picks. Yikes.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
I am assuming improvements on both offense and defense over last year. Buffalo, New England, Jags and Titans and probably Baltimore declined in talent. Thats 7 games we should win or go 6-1. The 5 nfc games aren't easy but repeating the 3-2 record from last year looks very possible, A split with Indy should be enough to win the division and the games at KC, at Jets and hosting Miami will likely determine seeding which a 2 seed.

Arguably the 3 toughest games are all after the week 14 bye. Miami, KC and Baltimore in 11 days with 2 at home. If we get there at 9-4 or 10-3, we should be in great shape. This team should not be aiming for a 4 seed or wildcard. Getting a home game in the divisional round would be significant.
redag06
Ag_07 said:

Josh essentially led that team to the 2 seed by himself last season. It sure wasn't Diggs, he disappeared during their run from 5-5 to the 2 seed.
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Buffalo was 1 loss away from missing the playoffs last year. I could see them finishing behind Miami and the Jets this year if Rodgers stays healthy. But Allen is still good.

If CJ has a sophomore slump this year, we could struggle to win the division and make the playoffs. But I don't think that will happen and with a better WR,TE and RB rooms this year, I think CJ gets even better. Diggs and Nico in contract years, Dell not blocking between the tackles on the goal line this year and Mixon providing a more consistent running game, all point to a high scoring offense. Defense should be better as well.

We need to go to Indy week 1 and show them who owns the AFC South.
MelvinUdall
redag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Josh essentially led that team to the 2 seed by himself last season. It sure wasn't Diggs, he disappeared during their run from 5-5 to the 2 seed.

Diggs decline coincides with the change in the OC, look at his stats before and after the change.
texasaggie2015
AG
Anyone else plan to make the trip to Lambeau?
Max Power
AG
I like to break the schedule down into thirds vs just game by game.

Week 1 - at Colts
Week 2 - vs Bears
Week 3 - at Vikings
Week 4 - vs Jags
Week 5 - vs Buffalo
Week 6 - at Patriots

4-2: Though this is a nice 6 game stretch to start I don't think we can forget we lost some games we had no business losing last year. I was leaning 5-1 but I stayed on the conservative end for this part of the schedule.

Week 7 - at Packers
Week 8 - vs Colts
Week 9 - at Jets
Week 10 - vs Lions
Week 11 - at Cowboys
Week 12 - vs Titans

3-3: This is a tough 6 game stretch but I actually think it'll be good for the team going into the last 5 games where it doesn't get any easier. I wanted to go 4-2 for this stretch. If we get through week 12 and we're sitting at 8-4 instead of 7-5 that would be outstanding heading into the end of the season.

Week 13 - at Jags
Week 14 - bye
Week 15 - vs Dolphins
Week 16 - at Chiefs
Week 17 - vs Ravens
Week 18 - at Titans

3-2: Just like we lost some games we shouldn't have last season this team won some games against tough teams as well. I do believe we can beat Miami coming off a bye but Chiefs and Ravens back to back in less than a week is just brutal.

Overall 10-7 even with the increased schedule difficulty is very much on the table. I could see 11 wins as a possibility as well.
MelvinUdall
My hope is that the Texans remain somewhat healthy this year, they were hurt big time last year due to injuries. If the Texans can have some luck on the injury side, 11 or even 12 wins is not out of the possibility.
redag06
MelvinUdall said:

redag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Diggs decline coincides with the change in the OC, look at his stats before and after the change.
Take a look deeper, Diggs was still getting the same amount of targets. Diggs isn't the receiver he was. 30 is ROUGH on receivers. He dropped what was essentially a walk off touchdown against the chiefs that hit him in the breadbasket.
The Porkchop Express
Max Power said:

I like to break the schedule down into thirds vs just game by game.

Week 1 - at Colts
Week 2 - vs Bears
Week 3 - at Vikings
Week 4 - vs Jags
Week 5 - vs Buffalo
Week 6 - at Patriots

4-2: Though this is a nice 6 game stretch to start I don't think we can forget we lost some games we had no business losing last year. I was leaning 5-1 but I stayed on the conservative end for this part of the schedule.

Week 7 - at Packers
Week 8 - vs Colts
Week 9 - at Jets
Week 10 - vs Lions
Week 11 - at Cowboys
Week 12 - vs Titans

3-3: This is a tough 6 game stretch but I actually think it'll be good for the team going into the last 5 games where it doesn't get any easier. I wanted to go 4-2 for this stretch. If we get through week 12 and we're sitting at 8-4 instead of 7-5 that would be outstanding heading into the end of the season.

Week 13 - at Jags
Week 14 - bye
Week 15 - vs Dolphins
Week 16 - at Chiefs
Week 17 - vs Ravens
Week 18 - at Titans

3-2: Just like we lost some games we shouldn't have last season this team won some games against tough teams as well. I do believe we can beat Miami coming off a bye but Chiefs and Ravens back to back in less than a week is just brutal.

Overall 10-7 even with the increased schedule difficulty is very much on the table. I could see 11 wins as a possibility as well.
Quote:

Week 1 - at Colts
Week 2 - vs Bears
Week 3 - at Vikings
Week 4 - vs Jags
Week 5 - vs Buffalo
Week 6 - at Patriots

6-0: Probably sack Caleb Williams 30 times. Diggs catches 23 passes for 480 yards and 6 TDs vs Buffalo

Week 7 - at Packers
Week 8 - vs Colts
Week 9 - at Jets
Week 10 - vs Lions
Week 11 - at Cowboys
Week 12 - vs Titans

6-0: Texans beat the Packers to celebrate my 50th birthday. Dan Campbell tries 14 onside kicks and a 93 yard field goal, Texans win on SNF 77-6. Beat the Cowboys and the Titans on back to back weeks is like going to Panchos' in College Station on Saturday night and then taking the biggest dup of your life on Sunday morning (twice).

Week 13 - at Jags
Week 14 - bye
Week 15 - vs Dolphins
Week 16 - at Chiefs
Week 17 - vs Ravens
Week 18 - at Titans

4-1: Lose to the Chiefs on purpose to quell the rumors that Taylor Swift dumped Kelce for Case Keenum, which totally happened.

Overall 16-1. Book it.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Texan_Aggie
AG
redag06 said:

MelvinUdall said:

redag06 said:

Ag_07 said:

Take a look deeper, Diggs was still getting the same amount of targets. Diggs isn't the receiver he was. 30 is ROUGH on receivers. He dropped what was essentially a walk off touchdown against the chiefs that hit him in the breadbasket.
Yes but some receivers thrive from change in scenery. Randy Moss w/ the Raiders looked terrible and then became world class again w/ NE (after he was 30).

Diggs is no Moss, but we don't need him to be. We just need a receiver that draws attention away from Nico/Tank/Collins/Mixon, which he is absolutely capable of.
Max Power
AG
Thinice
texasaggie2015 said:

Anyone else plan to make the trip to Lambeau?

We have a group of 10 going with a house a little under a mile from the stadium.

Went last time, best sporting event I've ever been to.
W
AG
it is funny...many of the talking heads -- radio & TV -- were all excited about the schedule release...

but now reality is setting in...as to how difficult the 2024 schedule is relative to 2023
MelvinUdall
W said:

it is funny...many of the talking heads -- radio & TV -- were all excited about the schedule release...

but now reality is setting in...as to how difficult the 2024 schedule is relative to 2023

Everyone already knew who they were playing and where they were playing, no one really is questioning how difficult this schedule is compared to 2023, only that stretch at the end of the year.
lunchbox
JCA1
AG
Both in terms of length and money, that seems like the right deal for Nico. Good job by Nick.
Max Power
AG
With all the team did in free agency this offseason I was a little worried that some of the guys that were already here could get forgotten. It's important to reward the homegrown guys that stepped up. $24MM/year would put him tied with Metcalf as the 8th highest paid WR in the league. I'm guessing the guarantees will be between $60-$70MM. Also really important that they got this deal done before guys like Jefferson, Chase, and Aiyuk since each of them could impact the entire WR market going forward. This is another good move by Caserio.
mAgnoliAg
AG
$52 million guaranteed
Max Power
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

$52 million guaranteed
That is number is surprising. That would put him 11th in total guarantees. I thought he'd get $60MM at a minimum but it's a good deal all around. Collins could have tested the market or gotten tagged after next season but I think it's clear he's happy in Houston.
Ag_07
AG
And this extension lines up exactly with when Stroud and Tank rookie deals are up.

Nick is pouncing on having CJ on the cheap which is a very smart thing to do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.