*****Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread*****

93,962 Views | 1406 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by neener
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let the mock drafts begin….
In the last 20 years there have been a couple of HoFers drop to 24
Macarthur
I think you gotta go OL or DE. If you go DE early, gotta get an OL in the 2nd.

Gregory is free and it probably going to get a huge offer. Also, think there's probably going to be a good OL at 24.

OL
DE
LB
DB

Those seem to me to be the big needs as far as position.
PooDoo
AG
I think BPA between OL,DL,LB, & Safety in the first 3 then start looking for a HB.

Figure Gregory, LVE, Hooker, Kearse, Kazee are gone. That's a lot of PT available.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

I think BPA between OL,DL,LB, & Safety in the first 3 then start looking for a HB.

Figure Gregory, LVE, Hooker, Kearse, Kazee are gone. That's a lot of PT available.
I think Gregory and Kearse need to be a resign priority. Prob don't have the money though unless they do something with Dak's numbers…
FTAG 2000
AG
PooDoo said:

Don't see them chasing RB.

They have blinders on with Zeke and probably think he'll get his PCL repaired and be good to go next year, along with Pollard.

Macarthur
AG 2000' said:

PooDoo said:

Don't see them chasing RB.

They have blinders on with Zeke and probably think he'll get his PCL repaired and be good to go next year, along with Pollard.

Yeah, Pollard has one more year on his deal and Zeke will come back next year. They don't have a choice as his contract is fully guaranteed.
Southlake
Maybe trade Zeke for a draft pick? Even if it's a 3rd or 4th, it still gets rid of his salary and Pollard is the no. 1?

People dream that he'll get healthy and be the old Zeke, but those days are gone.

Other then that, do we keep Cedric Wilson? Can we get him a visor? Or pull curtains?

I'd imagine we definitely go with OL.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Maybe trade Zeke for a draft pick? Even if it's a 3rd or 4th, it still gets rid of his salary and Pollard is the no. 1?

People dream that he'll get healthy and be the old Zeke, but those days are gone.

Other then that, do we keep Cedric Wilson? Can we get him a visor? Or pull curtains?

I don't think you're going to get anyone to take Zeke off your hands.
BenFiasco14
AG
Cowboys are about 13.5 million over their salary cap.

That Dak contract is gonna weigh this franchise down like an anchor. Not to mention Zekes which we've gotten essentially nothing out of.

Rolling into the off-season like:

CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I can't remember the last time the Cowboys didn't have salary cap issues. Every year it seems like they have no room within the cap to work with.
Macarthur
You gotta pay a QB....don't really have an option.

The Zeke contract is an absolute killer. Zeke's agent just bent the cowboys over.
Daveintx
There's something to be said for Jerry's only titles coming when there was no cap.....
Ag Natural
AG
Macarthur said:

You gotta pay a QB....don't really have an option.

The Zeke contract is an absolute killer. Zeke's agent just bent the cowboys over.
Yeah every successful team has to be paying big money for the QB at some point. It's not even worth pining over unless you think Dak sucks.

Zeke's agent played his situation about as well as you could have. He held out a year early and made it easier for the Cowboys justify the signing at the time. You had two extra years to prorate the bonus over PLUS he was still elite at that point. There are many geniuses who claim they would have handled it differently. But really if you weren't going to pay him then you would have to just let him hold out. There's two recent examples of that in Lavion Bell (Steelers) and Melvin Gordon (Chargers). So great they didn't have to pay a running back but who cares? They haven't won any playoff games either. It's impossible to trace the Cowboys lack of success to this contract. Now lets see what they do next year.. that's a chance to make a real bad decision.

FTAG 2000
AG
Southlake said:

No one's going to trade for Zeke with his contract. After 2022 season, his dead cap number drops significantly to where it would be palatable to let him go. They could also restructure some but have to pay the piper somewhere.

Macarthur
I would say this guy would be a high priority to keep.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I can't remember the last time the Cowboys didn't have salary cap issues. Every year it seems like they have no room within the cap to work with.

Yup.

All we heard for years was "Stephen Jones is a genius w the cap". He's never done shi* w the cap that means anything. Like father like son both of em suck at winning football operations
Ag Natural
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Yup.

All we heard for years was "Stephen Jones is a genius w the cap". He's never done shi* w the cap that means anything. Like father like son both of em suck at winning football operations

Well we weren't in cap hell this year and managed to sign several impactful FAs.
wangus12
AG
So how does Dak get punished for his comments about the refs on Sunday. Probably a pretty nice fine right
Southlake
wangus12 said:

So how does Dak get punished for his comments about the refs on Sunday. Probably a pretty nice fine right
Actually, kinda out of character for Dak. He used to be a stand up kinda guy…
Ag12thman
AG
Elliott is the heavy, useless anchor right now. Horrid move by Jones with that signing. He is way, way overpaid.
Ag12thman
AG
wangus12 said:

Not sure if you saw it, but he apologized today. I still think he'll be fined in some way.
Ag12thman
AG

Yup.

I totally agree. How do we get the Jones family to sell the organization? I've lost more and more interest every year since Jerry fired Jimmy and made himself GM.
Daveintx
So long as they remain one of the most profitable sports organizations, the team ain't on the market... Now, if apparel sales dropped off, and seat sales stopped... Problem there is so many corporate ticket owners that most of the seats have been sold for a long time
Carlo4
AG
Get rid of Zeke and Cooper.

We all hate Zeke. I think Cooper isn't happy being "passed" by Lamb and happy to leave. Way too many games this year Cooper was ignored.
Txhuntr
AG
Carlo4 said:

Get rid of Zeke and Cooper.

We all hate Zeke. I think Cooper isn't happy being "passed" by Lamb and happy to leave. Way too many games this year Cooper was ignored.

Bold move to drop your most sure handed receiver for stone hands lamb
Macarthur
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Gosh dang it... I hadn't made that connection. This is nothing like the 07 or 94 loss we were talking about last week, but this one still sucks and this kind of info makes it worse!

My theory: Jeff Heath had incriminating photos of Jerry and when he finally left he gave them to Zeke.
Ag Natural
AG
I know I'm in the minority on here but I still think Zeke plays a valuable role. He still a good overall player. Good short yardage guy. Good hands. Great pass protection. Yeah he's not a $15m guy but at least he plays. It seems like all the other recent big money RB contracts were bit by injury more than anything else.

And I've said this before, the assertion that this contract even if you combine with Cooper is the reason for their failure is just a reach. I do think the next couple of years will tell us how far along the FO has come. They finally cut bait with Smith.... so what do they do with Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, etc.
Macarthur
Ag Natural said:

I know I'm in the minority on here but I still think Zeke plays a valuable role. He still a good overall player. Good short yardage guy. Good hands. Great pass protection. Yeah he's not a $15m guy but at least he plays. It seems like all the other recent big money RB contracts were bit by injury more than anything else.

And I've said this before, the assertion that this contract even if you combine with Cooper is the reason for their failure is just a reach. I do think the next couple of years will tell us how far along the FO has come. They finally cut bait with Smith.... so what do they do with Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, etc.
Zeke is still a warrior and is a good RB. He's lost his expolsion, however, I will say that he looked much more expolsive eearly in the season so that knee probably played a part.

Zeke will be on this team next year and you could do a lot worse. The problem is that Pollard is clearly better and should get at LEAST half the carries and it prob should be 60/40 pollard next year but they've shown no interest in doing that.
ac04
zeke's contract is a disaster. not just because of the compensation, but also how it is structured. they are essentially locked in until 2023, and even then he'll cost almost $12MM to release. when you consider the overall devaluation of the RB position, it is arguably one of the worst deals in all of football at the moment.

regarding the draft, i am hoping kenyon green falls to 24. the interior of this OL is a mess and the tackles aren't much better. would be great to get a guy with some flexibility in terms of position. although i think he will ultimately fit best as a guard.
Macarthur
ac04 said:

zeke's contract is a disaster. not just because of the compensation, but also how it is structured. they are essentially locked in until 2023, and even then he'll cost almost $12MM to release. when you consider the overall devaluation of the RB position, it is arguably one of the worst deals in all of football at the moment.

No doubt, but there's nothing that can be done, at this time. He's going to be here next year and he's still a solid to good RB. I just hope they give Pollard more play next year.

Quote:

regarding the draft, i am hoping kenyon green falls to 24. the interior of this OL is a mess and the tackles aren't much better. would be great to get a guy with some flexibility in terms of position. although i think he will ultimately fit best as a guard.

I"m seeing some mocks that does have Kenyon at 24. I would love that pick.
Macarthur
Here's an interesting thought....

I think there is a better than good chance that T. Burks is there at 24. If you can't keep Gallup and things are iffy with Cooper, do you pull the trigger on Burks.

I actually think Burks is going to be a superstar in the NFL.
Ag8556
AG
I treat the Cowboys like I treated the Rangers for years. The Rangers front office consistently mismanaged their farm system and failed to invest in a quality pitching staff. The team was uncompetitive by design. I did not invest my time following them until management changed and they built their farm system and a quality pitching staff, just like other well managed teams, that led to the playoff years.

The Cowboys are incompetently managed and have been since Jerry expanded his role into roster management and talent acquisition when he fired Jimmy Johnson. It is laughable how he continues to think changing head coaches or coordinators is the treatment for the team's illness. We are duking it out with the Lions and Washington for the most inept franchise in the NFL post 1996. The Texans have more playoff wins during this time period.

Jerry's age is going to cause him to continue pursuing quick fix solutions that he thinks can get the Cowboys to the Super Bowl before he dies or health problems force him to retire. I watched very little of the Cowboys this year. I would watch highlights of plays when I heard about the latest moronic in-game decision made by Mike McCarthy.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks. Jerry Jones and the Jones family in general really make it hard to follow them. I already watch them much less than I used to and will probably watch them even less next year. It's so true that this organization has done absolutely nothing since the days of Jimmy Johnson. I've heard analysts basically say, "Yeah, the cowboys are doing better this year; BUT just wait. They'll do something to screw it up." No one takes them seriously, even when they win a lot (mostly against the Big 12 of the NFL).
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Ag Natural said:

Yup.

Well we weren't in cap hell this year and managed to sign several impactful FAs.

They restructured contracts to get under the cap last offseason. This is very much the norm for them.

At the end of the day all that is just fodder within the larger lack of results. 27 years and not even an NFC Championship game appearance. They've defied probability to stake this claim. I agree with the analyst that Texags radio had this morning that said "as long as the Jones family owns this team, they'll underachieve because theres a serious cultural issue in the org when there isn't a coach in place the players truly respect i.e..JJ, Parcells"

Jerry and Stephen Jones would both be fired by any other organization if they went this long without results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.