*****Dallas Cowboys 2022 Offseason Thread*****

94,788 Views | 1406 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by neener
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cooper was totally under-utilized by this staff, IMO. I'm sure we will see him go to another team and help them to a deep playoff or Super Bowl run, like so many other players that have been through Dallas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are going to regret the Cooper move. Memories are short about how stagnant this passing game was without him, and that was when Zeke wasn't all used up. Agree his usage in 2021 was a Dak and staff issue more than a Cooper issue. And it's not like he was lousy. He did generate 8 TDs
Ag Natural
AG
They probably feel like they have no choice. The cap savings make it worth it. Cutting Zeke saves you nothing sonits not like there are a ton of options.
jr15aggie
AG
To be fair, Coopers contract was always structured to get out of it (as opposed to him seeing the deal all the way through).

But I 100% agree you'd rather have Cooper than Zeke if the contracts were equal. Damn shame the Jones's didn't stand firm when we still controlled Zekes rights for 2 more years. He's really the only bad contract this team currently has.
DannyDuberstein
AG
They are still gettiing hit with Jaylon's $7mm in dead money in 2022, so that still stings. What's worse about Jaylon's deal is that I think it emboldened Zeke in his holdout. Jaylon got his $$$ they summer after 3 years and Zeke knew they'd fold.

Lael Collins is a deal to watch. 5 year $50 mill extension (20-24) and not a bad price for a serviceable tackle. But 2 years into it he's been hurt, suspended, or mostly playing like crap. Hope he can rebound because that is a bad one so far
Vince Blake

Makes sense. The DE tag is 7 or 8 million more than the TE one. Curious to see what Gregory does. The buzz right now is that he'll remain with the Cowboys. If there is anyone who should be giving the home team a discount, its that guy.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Not tagging Gregory makes sense as long as they feel good about getting a deal worked out. They stood by him for so long when most teams would have cut and run, hopefully they can agree to something fair.

However, tagging Schultz and paying $11-12 mill for one year while they cut Cooper turns my stomach. I think there are a lot of JAG TE's that could do what Schultz did in this offense thanks to defensive respect for Cooper, Lamb, and company opening up room underneath
PooDoo
AG
Cowboys paying ELITE money for above average

Off the topic but interesting
Macarthur
DannyDuberstein said:

Not tagging Gregory makes sense as long as they feel good about getting a deal worked out. They stood by him for so long when most teams would have cut and run, hopefully they can agree to something fair.

However, tagging Schultz and paying $11-12 mill for one year while they cut Cooper turns my stomach. I think there are a lot of JAG TE's that could do what Schultz did in this offense thanks to defensive respect for Cooper, Lamb, and company opening up room underneath

Agree completely. Schultz is beyond mediocre. You could plug virtually anyone inside with Cooper, Lamb and Gallup outside and he would have room to work. Also, he couldn't block me.
Macarthur
And it's done....Do not like.

jr15aggie
AG
On paper we are going to be much weaker next year unless we hit another grand slam in the draft. McClay has done a bang up job but it's not realistic to draft instant impact guys every year. These coaches have to step up and maximize these productivity of our million dollar vets!

We saw Quinn do his job with excellence! Unfortunately the Cowboys offense and signal caller have regressed over the past 3-4 years. Hmmm... I wonder what changed around 3-4 years ago that might explain why our talent rich offense can't get out of neutral!
Peter Klaven
AG
In a vacuum, I don't particularly like this move. However, what if this is just the first step in also getting schultz a team-friendly longer-term deal while also cutting jarwin to save around 5 million or so? It's possible your net cap outlay may only be a few million bucks which should still give us a lot of flexibility
Ag Natural
AG
jr15aggie said:

On paper we are going to be much weaker next year unless we hit another grand slam in the draft. McClay has done a bang up job but it's not realistic to draft instant impact guys every year. These coaches have to step up and maximize these productivity of our million dollar vets!

We saw Quinn do his job with excellence! Unfortunately the Cowboys offense and signal caller have regressed over the past 3-4 years. Hmmm... I wonder what changed around 3-4 years ago that might explain why our talent rich offense can't get out of neutral!
You realize free agency hasn't even started yet right?
Peter Klaven
AG
As expected Dak and Zac restructure frees up $23 million in cap space
Grapesoda2525
Peter Klaven said:

Isn't a restructure just basically kicking the can ( or problem) down the road? Why should we cheer restructures?
dave94
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Peter Klaven said:

Isn't a restructure just basically kicking the can ( or problem) down the road? Why should we cheer restructures?

For QB1 starting a brand new deal this is what you have to do so they don't kill the cap when we're trying to actually do something now.
Peter Klaven
AG
It's not ideal for Zach who we may only have for 2-3 more years but expect Dak to get restructured every year for the next 5+. That's just how the cowboys (and others too) do business.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Tagging Schultz is right up there as one of the most Jerry/Stephen Jones thing of all time. He's nothing special at all.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Nothing like making sure your easily replaceable JAG at TE is locked up. Gotta make that happen
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Vince Blake
How we feeling about Gallup at 10 per?
jr15aggie
AG
I really like Gallup, but I have no idea what they are doing this offseason.

I'm just gonna sit back and hope it all works out in the end somehow. Gotten pretty good at that for the past 20 years.
Legal Custodian
AG
Trucker 96
Not paying the DMN, but given it sounds like Jerry worked out an arrangement with the mother, I don't see what basis some 25 year old adult has to sue their biological dad. So he squirted some baby batter up in your mom 25 years and 9 months ago, that doesn't mean you get anything from him now.

All that said, this lady may need to be made a human sacrifice so the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl. She's the curse. Cowboys fans should sue her
Silvertaps
AG
Over the last month, the Jones have shown what wonderful human beings they are.
Grapesoda2525
Tagging Schultz and resigning Gallup?

Mcclay has his work cut out for him in the draft based on the moves we've done so far.
Trucker 96
Gallup and Schultz are going to cost more than Cooper. Is there anyone that would trade Cooper for Gallup and Schultz? No effing way
FTAG 2000
AG
Stunning incompetence so far with the moves. Well, for any real front office. For the Jones family clown show just another offseason.
PooDoo
AG
When is the last front office move the Cowboys made that would be considered smart? Signing Smith? Not drafting JFF? Paying the cheerleaders $2mil?
Danny Phantom
The Gallup cap hit in year one will be far less than 10m. Probably around 6M-8M cap hit year one. I'd assume we'd have an out in the contract once that cap number spikes up. We can work a similar Schultz extension and get that cap number down for 2022. That would leave us with enough money to sign someone like Kearse with coopers 20M off the books. Cutting him would be a disappointment, but if we can get a ~3rd round pick for him that would be ideal. Only problem is that we always tell the whole world we're moving on from somebody so we lose all trade value.
Macarthur
PooDoo said:

When is the last front office move the Cowboys made that would be considered smart? Signing Smith? Not drafting JFF? Paying the cheerleaders $2mil?

It's easy to pile on and they deserve some of it, but they've made some decent moves. Really, the only move I can think of that is just a total bomb is the Zeke deal. Adding guys like Kearse, Hooker, Kazee, Urban, Neal, etc. They've also done a good job drafting.

To me, the biggest issue is when it involves their top end guys. They draft good and they do a good job of bringing in quality mid-level free agents. It seems like when Jerry and Stephen get involved, that's when things go south - Dak (waiting too long, could have signed him for $35 or so), Zeke deal, etc.

And if this really happened...

This sheds more light on this.
Señor Chang
AG
The rumor I saw earlier was Cooper called Dak the white Kirk Cousins.
Grapesoda2525
Reminds me when randy moss said something disparaging about Tom Brady and look at how fast they traded him.
Kashchei
AG
Kirk Cousins and Derek Carr are actually suitable comparisons...
98Ag99Grad
AG
The nutsack network with breaking news??
Vince Blake

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.