Timeline for Fall 2021 freshmen applications

45,887 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ag4Apple
TAMUAdmissions
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That will not matter.
jefe95
AG
How long does approval of the SRAR take? Daughter applied on 8/1/20 and it still says on her AIS that it's outstanding. She submitted it, but it doesn't even show as "in process".
Should she call to check on the status or is that something that takes a significant amount of time? My son didn't have to submit the SRAR so it's a new thing for us.

Thanks!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
She needs to go into her AIS page and link the SRAR to AIS. She can see details about SRAR on our web page at http://admissions.tamu.edu/srar

For example, it says there once you are able to access AIS you can link your SRAR to your TAMU application by clicking the link in the 'Documents Required for Admission' checklist displayed in our Applicant Information System (AIS). Upon completion/submission of the SRAR and linking the SRAR to your university record, we should receive your document and record its receipt within a few days.

A1_Ag_95
AG
Daughter has everything turned in, shows all good with her application and everything received. What is the potential timeline she should plan for? Wants engineering and put two different engineering choices down. Has both SAT and ACT scores and sits 1 spot outside her HS top 10%.

TIA!!
hope4aggie
Will OOS students that rank Top 10% in AIS fall into the category of an admission decision in Jan-Mar timeframe? The wait until that time frame is torture especially when she has already started to receive acceptance to other schools (although A&M is her dream school). She won't dare to make a decision until she hears back from A&M, it's just so hard to watch a child that has worked so incredibly hard (4.0 unweighted GPA) wait for that long. I know she is not alone though, just hoping for some small glimmer of hope that she will not have to wait until 2021. These 2021 graduation kids have such a world of uncertainty in front of them and many have no idea if they will ever step foot back into their high school again, missing everything kids dream about when they are seniors in high school. It would be nice to have some unexpected surprises to offset some of what has been taken from them.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Early action applicants for Engineering with a complete application file by October 15 will hopefully hear a decision by late December. There is a holistic review of all Engineering applicants.

TAMUAdmissions
AG
The criteria for top 10 for Texas residents can be seen at http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted.

For domestic freshmen applicants, Top 10 applicants in Texas with a complete file in our office often hear a decision within a few weeks with first letters usually starting to go out around mid-September. Since applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to be sure the supporting documents are in our office, it is not until after that do we know how much room we have for Review Admits. As a result, Review Admits may hear a decision anytime although after January 1 is more likely. Hopefully Review Admit decisions will be completed by March.

Big Al 1992
AG
Any word on when announced on line and when the first round of acceptance letters go out? And then do they continue to roll out daily or drop send a bunch once a week/every 2 weeks etc. ?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
The first freshmen letters hopefully will begin going out in late September. The letter would be visible within AIS at that time. When a batch is ready to be released, they will be - so not a specific timeline after that. They would not be held if they are ready to go out. Keep in mind, however, that most review decisions may not be going out until after the first of the year. Applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to get the supporting documents to the Admissions office. Freshmen decisions should be finished by the end of March.
hope4aggie
Why does A&M say they have rolling admissions when that statement only seems to apply to students that are automatically admitted? As an OOS student, it does not seem fair at all to be told they will likely not receive an admission decision until after the first of the year because of the automatic admission applicants. Has there ever been an instance when there were not enough spots in the college for in-state students (disregarding competitive majors such as Engineering and Business)? If an OOS student has the academic criteria for admission to A&M it seems the timing of that admission should be irrelevant. During the multiple discussions that my daughter had with admission counselors and zoom meetings with A&M representatives, she was told that being an OOS student is not a disadvantage. I would disagree with that statement based on the information that we have been provided and the rationale for the timing of review decisions.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
People use the term rolling admissions in different ways. Since applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to have all their supporting documents in the office, it is only then we have a complete picture of the qualifications of all the applicants in review.

We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores (if sent) and everything else submitted with the application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc.

You can call an admissions counselor at 979-458-0950.
Big Al 1992
AG
Our daughter was Accepted! Thanks TAMUAdmissions for all your help!
TAMUAdmissions
AG
You are very welcome.
A1_Ag_95
AG
May have missed this, but when will holistic reviews for admission start? She has everything in. Thx
TAMUAdmissions
AG
For domestic freshmen applicants, Top 10 applicants in Texas with a complete file in our office often hear a decision within a few weeks with first letters going out around late September. Since applicants have until December 1 to apply and December 15 to be sure the supporting documents are in our office, it is not until after that do we know how competitive the pool is for Review Admits. As a result, Review Admits may hear a decision anytime although after January 1 is more likely. Hopefully Review Admit decisions will be completed by late March.
A1_Ag_95
AG
so a holistic review candidate with everything turned in back in August won't even be looked at until after Dec? Including potential engineering majors?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Note part of the previous comment that review admits can hear anytime. However, after the deadline,the applicant pool is set. Early action candidates for Engineering will hopefully hear by late December.
A1_Ag_95
AG
my bad!!! skimmed right over that part. thank you!

Daughter is kicking herself right now for one freshman class.... outside her top 10 by 3 students and .003 on the grading scale they use. That and having softball and choir all 4 years. Her school has a large percentage of top 10% who did not do a lot - or any - of the extra curriculars, including clubs and non-class required ec's. But she is a more well rounded and better student for what she did do.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
A1_Ag_95 said:

my bad!!! skimmed right over that part. thank you!

Daughter is kicking herself right now for one freshman class.... outside her top 10 by 3 students and .003 on the grading scale they use. That and having softball and choir all 4 years. Her school has a large percentage of top 10% who did not do a lot - or any - of the extra curriculars, including clubs and non-class required ec's. But she is a more well rounded and better student for what she did do.

Agreed on above, "grade miners" are rewarded for doing nothing in this top 10% system. Kids drop out of activities, athletics due to this.
A1_Ag_95
AG
Well, my daughter logged into her portal and was surprised to find she had been admitted!!! Now we wait on the Engineering decision. Her admittance surprised us all since her friends who were getting admitted were all top 10%.

Must really be something to getting all of it turned in early and being one of the first to be reviewed.
Troy91
AG
My son was an auto admit and found that the Howdy portal had updated on 9/23 and that he was admitted.

We don't have the cool mail package yet.
A1_Ag_95
AG
TAMUAdmissions said:

Early action applicants for Engineering with a complete application file by October 15 will hopefully hear a decision by late December. There is a holistic review of all Engineering applicants.

Appears daughter went through both holistic review for A&M and engineering. Was not expecting anything from engineering until December!

Comeby!
AG
I think my son started his application early but didn't link his SRAR, etc until after the Oct 15 deadline for engineering. I'm pretty sure that is going to cost him since he was likely already on the bubble.
Big Al 1992
AG
What is the math test incoming students are required to take, when do they do it and is something they have to prepare for?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
The details on the math placement exam can be seen at https://www.math.tamu.edu/placement/
Mookie
AG
@tamuasmissions any idea what the timeline is for engineering freshman decisions are for non top 10 folks?
Comeby!
AG
I have yet to see a review admit in engineering get admissions, but that's in my limited circle.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
They have been going out. The AIS page for applicants is telling them if have not heard yet that their decision is being deferred to January (for Early Action).
Mookie
AG
Thank you.
Mookie
AG
Comeby! said:

I have yet to see a review admit in engineering get admissions, but that's in my limited circle.

Are you saying they are being declined or just have not heard yet?
Comeby!
AG
Have not heard yet. Haven't heard anyone declined or deferred to an alternative program.
Comeby!
AG
Still waiting....expecting the worst.
a6613
Still waiting!!! I hear we may not get notice till late march on decisions ?

TAMUAdmissions
AG
Freshman decisions are ongoing and hopefully will be finished by late March.
kyle field 94
AG
Has anyone heard if the academic scholarships have been awarded and people notified?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.