Are there any non-conservatives on this board?

16,830 Views | 319 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aTmAg
jamey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Depends on how you define it and what you value i guess. By some definitions, such as a high priority on fiscal conservatism, Trump is not a conservative
oh no
AG
I'm not a republican. I'm just anti-communist, which makes me 100% vehemently against everything today's democrat party stands for.
CheeseSndwch
Third Party Voter Checking-In
AggieShanks
AG
See this is what I was looking for. Last post that I made down here, I could talk to the non-maga crowd, but they seem to definitely dominate the board down here. Like I can agree that Biden and the DOJ was corrupt, but a lot of the posts down here are pretty extreme.
WestGalvestonAggie
I generally don't want to be conservative, but the democratic party has become too over the top progressive and needs to be reigned in. It's hard not to lean right under those circumstances. So, while I'm not conservative, I can't support what's been happening and am finding myself leaning more in that direction.
"I always thought Roy Acuff was probably an *******. I’m a Hank Williams fan."

-Steve Earle
backintexas2013
AG
Extreme is your opinion. Maybe people think extreme is spying on American citizens. Maybe extreme is bailing out idiots with worthless degrees. Maybe extreme is giving free **** to people while penalizing the people actually working. Maybe extreme is going after the rich declaring they don't pay their fair share when they pay way more.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Ah yes! You seek the famed "F16 Concerned Moderate"! The leftist who thinks they are cleverly disguised as centrist conservative so they can constantly criticize the GOP (they're just SO Concerned about the party's lack of Moderation!) while never having to defend the insanity of the Democrats who they actually vote for.

Look for key give away phrases and behaviors like:

"I've voted Republican my whole life but I just can't support…"

"Even though I claim to be a conservative I'm going to spend the next 8 pages vehemently defending the Democratic Party because reasons!"

"Sure the Democrats are being crazy right now but instead of focusing on that, the topic of thead, What About…."

"The Mainstream Media is fair and balanced and at most is just sliiiightly left of center and is no way propaganda for my…uh.."their" party!"
PatriotAg02
AG
Should have just asked are there any 'commies on this board.
AggieShanks
AG
Ah. I can see how I seem like this sometimes. I do want to engage and good faith discussions on this board more often, but a lot of the posts, I'm just scratching my head at. I should probably check more often instead of only when big news happens.
CanyonAg77
AG
AggieShanks said:

I notice a lot of discussions get shot down as anyone that doesn't fall into the groupthink down here are trolls. I'm generally curious if they are any left leaning people on the politics board?

Is there anyone on the Premium Board (besides dermdoc) who isn't arrogant and condescending toward the Politics Board?

Seriously, do you guys assign people every week to come here and be annoying
backintexas2013
AG
I think what started it is many posters would blast the right and when confronted would say "I didn't vote for Obama I am a moderate". They never took a stand. They just criticized one side while never defending. Mr "started a conversation" and a few others were notorious for that.
AggieShanks
AG
I like dermdoc! Again, I am going to attempt to spend more time on this board. I like politics, but I look for real discussions that did happen at some point on my last major post on here. Just over 50% of the comments are troll comments.
backintexas2013
AG
No they just do drive by posts while sitting at their computers wondering what some high school senior will do
Muy
AG
AggieShanks said:

I notice a lot of discussions get shot down as anyone that doesn't fall into the groupthink down here are trolls. I'm generally curious if they are any left leaning people on the politics board?

Liberals calling anyone else Group Think is beyond laughable.
fc2112
Today?

No.
Psycho Bunny
backintexas2013 said:

No they just do drive by posts while sitting at their computers wondering what some high school senior will do
As they blue star each other comments for the same talking points.
I will sell my vote for a plate of tacos and chile con queso

Q: What do you call a bad lawyer? A: Senator.
The Kraken
AG
Eh, F16 can't come to a consensus on what exactly constitutes being a conservative, CM or a liberal.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
AggieShanks said:

Not saying it was one-sided. But just feel like from watching these posts that the board does lean to one side.
All political boards have a lean.
Ellis Wyatt
AggieShanks said:

See this is what I was looking for. Last post that I made down here, I could talk to the non-maga crowd, but they seem to definitely dominate the board down here. Like I can agree that Biden and the DOJ was corrupt, but a lot of the posts down here are pretty extreme.
Down here? Really, we already have enough condescending posters.
NTAS

Nope, no group think on the left. None at all
FIDO*98*
AG
Conservatives are grounded in truth and reality and apply intelligence to politics. Most Aggies are too smart to be liberal so you don't find many on here
Heineken-Ashi
CanyonAg77 said:

AggieShanks said:

Is there anyone on the Premium Board (besides dermdoc) who isn't arrogant and condescending toward the Politics Board?

Seriously, do you guys assign people every week to come here and be annoying
It's honestly weird.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
TxAgPreacher
S
Tons of CM's. They pretend to be conservative, and they get triggered if you tell the truth about them though.
HarleySpoon
AG
When making decisions, conservatives give greater weight to the worst case possibility….liberals give greater weight to the best case possibility. This is why as liberals age and experience more of the practical side of life….they give greater weight to the worst case possibility and thus become what is called "conservative."

I grew up experiencing a whole lot of worst case early on….thus I have been conservative since early on.

Everyone wants a better future for their children and society…it's just a matter of whether you emphasize avoiding the worst case or emphasize hoping for the best case.
backintexas2013
AG
So when big news happens? Where were you when the guy shot at Trump? Your post here has nothing to do with a big story. Neither does your DEI post. You don't actually mean what you posted. You don't come here for big events and real discussion
policywonk98
AG
AggieShanks said:

Ah. I can see how I seem like this sometimes. I do want to engage and good faith discussions on this board more often, but a lot of the posts, I'm just scratching my head at. I should probably check more often instead of only when big news happens.

Yes, unfortunately it happens throughout this site. Groups of users in every area of the site have this strange tribal mentality. My observation is that within 5-6 posts of a Politics board regular posting on a sports forum thread will get the screen shot of an account and some swipe at the user and the politics forum. Something like "of course you think this" or some such.

It's really a bizarre phenomenon over the last decade especially. I've been around here since 2002. It didn't used to be like this at all. All of us roamed around and posted into many different forums without be labeled a "F16 poster" or a "Premium" poster or an "OB" poster.

It is clearly used to invalidate an opinion.

But I would say on balance, there are far more users from premium that come this direction to post a comment that stirs the pot than the other direction. Most users that regularly contribute on Politics have no interest in bringing politics into a sports discussion. There are obvious moments where the two subjects are overlapping now that professional sports has decided to take political and cultural stands on certain issues, but in terms of straight up sports, even people that love talking politics have no interest in talking politics in sports. But on that subject, I would argue that the left of center side of the political aisle is the one that has had a desire to pull politics into sports.

But I digress.

There are multiple political views on this board. If you are left of center you have to be able to take lots of slings and arrows on this board. And there are several that are here and can take it. But I think this board is a reflection of what an Aggie fan website filled with mostly GenXrs would be. It would be very strange if the politics board of an Aggie fan website was well balanced between conservative and liberals. A&M was not balanced that way from 1876-2010. There are not a bunch of 18-24 year olds posting on this site.
CDUB98
AG
Commies are not welcome.
Rockdoc
AG
Do we scare you "down here"? We're a pretty rough crowd so you better be careful. If you're gonna stay we'll have to check your tattoos.
TAMU1990
AG
I voted for Desantis but will vote for Trump in the general.
doubledog
AggieShanks said:

People who are left leaning are just those who have not had the time to think things through to their logical conclusions. Give it some time and thought, you will come around. In the mean time continue to post.
jamey
AG
The Libertarian party had an opportunity to grow it's base but really crapped the bed with their candidate
aggiehawg
AG
policywonk98 said:

There is unfortunately a lot more shouting down of people on the forum than there was in our first decade. The shift really started happening around the half way point of Obamas administration.

That is on the one hand.

On the other hand, this board does get a lot more users that rarely post on here and when they do they post in a way that they are looking down their nose at the forum as if there are no substantive discussion here. These users always remind me of the people that would criticize Rush Limbaugh but within about 2 minutes you realize you are arguing with a critic of the show that has never really listened to the show for any meaningful amount of time. It was certainly hard not to consider that type of critic a troll.

Has shifted. I did not post on Texags at all. Was a lurker for six maybe seven years, mostly during coaching searches. Was on the Zoo board and posted something there (my first post) about Chet Edwards trying to keep A&M out of the SEC. Staff decided to move that post to here. Which led me to this board.

Sometimes moderation giveth and sometimes they taketh away. Bet someone regrets that decision.
Logos Stick
Id say half of those who post on this board who think they are conservative are not conservative.

Think of this: the ideological center has moved left to the point where a person who is on the center right now would have been considered solid left 10 years ago.

Obama moved the left to the hard left and Biden put pedal to the metal and they are now clinically insane.

80% of the left is composed of 70 IQ morons. The 20% with average or higher IQ believe they have now become enlightened to see that men can become pregnant.
APHIS AG
AggieShanks said:

Discussion is welcome from liberals however, what they bring to the table is not worth discussing for they bring no facts to the discussion, just emotion and hearsay and just parrot the propaganda that MSNBC or CNN are reporting..

If they were to bring facts that actually support their side, they are welcome.
aggiebq03+
AggieShanks said:

Gee…tell us how you really feel about all the people who post down here.

You seem like you want to have an honest and meaningful conversation, while being as condescending as possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.