Is Carnival Cruises now the Spirit Airlines of the sea

11,745 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Maroon Dawn
Jeeper79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

torrid said:

techno-ag said:

Agreed with others above. If leaving from Galveston, 1) go on Royal Caribbean and 2) go on at least a one week cruise or longer. Problems such as in the OP disappear.
My observation over the years is cruise lines never send their best ships to Galveston. That's where old cruise liners go to die.
Yeah it often is third tier. But Royal Caribbean built a new $125 million terminal in Galveston and cycles through their Oasis class ships like Harmony of the Seas there. Those are really big and relatively new.
Harmony is awesome. Highly recommended.
2wealfth Man
AG
it's a carnival on Carnival
richardag
We never wanted to enjoy the benefits of the large cruise ships. Too many people.
We prefer Star Clipper cruises. More relaxing, customers from all over the globe. Have dined with people from England, Germany, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, to mention a few. On our first cruise, the windward islands, the Captain was Russian, the Engineer was Bulgarian, ~220 passengers, ~120 crew.

My favorite cruise was from Rome to Athens. Saw Sorento/Pompeii, Messina, Olympics, Agamemnon's castle and tomb, Acropolis. Headed back to Athens then on to 3 stops in Croatia.

On one cruise, the owner's wife was aboard and greeted people boarding the ship and leaving on excursions. At night, they would let you steer the ship, under supervision, turn out most all of the ship's lights and the view of the Milky Way is absolutely astonishing.
Star Cippers

The average age seems in the mid 40s to late 50s. Very laid back and relaxing. I am older and have absolutely no desire to be on a ship with 2,000 to 3,000 people.

Another alternative, if you or someone you know, is familiar with catamaran renting and hiring a captain and chef they are also very relaxing and some good snorkeling around the BVI. Soggy Dollar for the win.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
YouBet
AG
See, this looks cool. I would consider this.
zephyr88
AG
European River Cruises > Ocean Cruises

Ships with 150-200 people, interesting history and culture, scenery from the top deck, no riff-raff.

JSKolache
AG
Spirit is the Carnival of the air. Carnival been down low for decades.
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
And they always come home sick
aggiejayrod
AG
Ginormus Ag said:

You will be because the average age on one of those is 80. My in-laws have done 3 of them and they are great. My wife and I have talked about doing one, but it will be another 20 years or so.

Just because they're 80 doesn't mean you can treat them like objects
FrioAg 00
AG
I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something all those cheap vacation places have in common in terms of who they attract

Livetosmoke
You will be because the average age on one of those is 80. My in-laws have done 3 of them and they are great. My wife and I have talked about doing one, but it will be another 20 years or so.
Sea Speed
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something all those cheap vacation places have in common in terms of who they attract

THE CULTURE

/Critical drinker voice.
jh88ag
AG
We've been on many Carnival cruises, largely because our daughter works for Carnival (in entertainment) and it's a chance to see her during her long contracts. As others have pointed out, some important considerations are timing, duration and destination. On one of her contracts we sailed on her ship from Baltimore in mid-April…it was awful. Turns out that is spring break time in the northeast. That's really been our only bad experience.
HarleySpoon
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Funny about "The Culture"
A Black friend of mine used to use "The Element" to refer to presence of the Black criminal element.

Other friends of mine used different words.
We are now using "Canadians."
B-1 83
AG
We were on Harmony of the Seas last Thanksgiving. Huge ship, and pretty nice.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
nortex97
AG
"Those people" need mortgages.

https://youtu.be/

Edit; add "tWmxPgNGWTY" to the youtube link. It's a Chris Rock bit. Profanity in preview (and actual video) I missed.
annie88
AG
The only cruise line I use is Oceana. You would never find this crap on those. More expensive yes but they're smaller and way nicer.
LMCane
CDUB98 said:

Yes
Ironically the only time I went on a cruise was with Carnival out of Charleston, SC to Bahamas. And it was decent. but this was in the off season about 10 years ago.

45-70Ag
AG
jh88ag said:

We've been on many Carnival cruises, largely because our daughter works for Carnival (in entertainment) and it's a chance to see her during her long contracts. As others have pointed out, some important considerations are timing, duration and destination. On one of her contracts we sailed on her ship from Baltimore in mid-April…it was awful. Turns out that is spring break time in the northeast. That's really been our only bad experience.

A cruise ship out of Baltimore just sounds like a bad idea. I mean, is Newark not available?
torrid
AG
HarleySpoon said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Funny about "The Culture"
A Black friend of mine used to use "The Element" to refer to presence of the Black criminal element.

Other friends of mine used different words.
We are now using "Canadians."
You work at Cracker Barrel?
jh88ag
AG
45-70Ag said:

jh88ag said:

A cruise ship out of Baltimore just sounds like a bad idea. I mean, is Newark not available?
We went out of Baltimore because that's the port/ship that our daughter was working.
45-70Ag
AG
I know, I was just thinking whatever carnival decision maker had the idea of Baltimore wasn't clearly thinking.
jh88ag
AG
And Carnival is still in Baltimore after having to temporarily re-locate to Norfolk after the bridge collapse. Luckily our daughter is not based there any longer. Currently based in London.

Suffice it to say, I won't be going through Baltimore again.
jagvocate
AG
what a miserable life

ds00
Cruised on Carnival twice. Once 15 years ago and once last Thanksgiving. Both were great.
One Louder
AG
Vince Blake said:

I always wanted to do one of those European river cruises to experience some of the history and architecture of Europe. Think I'd be safe from this activity on one of those.

We're river cruising down the Rhine next summer with the Traveling Aggies. I don't anticipate a riot on that one!
annie88
AG
zephyr88 said:

European River Cruises > Ocean Cruises

Ships with 150-200 people, interesting history and culture, scenery from the top deck, no riff-raff.

Those are good too. Oceana has 600 or 1200 on their ships but those were for a little bigger see voyages, but these are good too.
annie88
AG
B-1 83 said:

Doubt I'll step foot on Carnival again because of the nature of the crowds. Royal Caribbean was much better. If I ever go on another it will be with Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Viking.
Oceana.
annie88
AG
Vince Blake said:

I always wanted to do one of those European river cruises to experience some of the history and architecture of Europe. Think I'd be safe from this activity on one of those.
I've done those and they are nice.
Jeeper79
AG
annie88 said:

B-1 83 said:

Doubt I'll step foot on Carnival again because of the nature of the crowds. Royal Caribbean was much better. If I ever go on another it will be with Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Viking.
Oceana.
Azamara is also comparable to Oceana.
annie88
AG
Jeeper79 said:

annie88 said:

B-1 83 said:

Oceana.
Azamara is also comparable to Oceana.

I've never heard of them. I'll have to look into it.
Ryan the Temp
AG
jagvocate said:

what a miserable life
Yeah, it was just pathetic. I can't imagine treating service people poorly as a game to get free stuff. I lost a lot of respect for her at that point.
Logos Stick
Ryan the Temp said:

jagvocate said:

what a miserable life
Yeah, it was just pathetic. I can't imagine treating service people poorly as a game to get free stuff. I lost a lot of respect for her at that point.

Not to derail my own thread, but stuff like that always comes back on people. Those folks are lying, stealing and possibly affecting someone's job in a bad way.

I know a female that does what I call the "wal-mart rental program". She will buy stuff she wants to use temporarily, use it, then box it up and return it. It's basically theft, imo. I called her out on it but not sure it did any good. I'd rather go without.
lurker76
agwrestler said:

The Fall Guy said:

You would never catch me on a cruise unless its a specialized cruise. That looks absolutely horrible.

Even if everything was perfect, a cruise seems almost as fun as a 22 hr flight to Tokyo in economy wedged next to a sumo wrestler who shat themselves right after takeoff.
Does that Sumo wrestler have a travel scrabble game, and did he board with a bag full of hamburgers and fries for himself? Would he have to stop half way down the aisle to catch his breath?
TexAgs91
AG
I've been on Carnival several times. I've never seen crap like that
IIIHorn

Were the participants given a stern warning?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.