Inflation "More Than Expected"

14,691 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
Señor Chang
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dmart90 said:

BboroAg said:

CDUB98 said:

These Keynesian "economists" truly cannot grasp the basics of economics.

Quote:

Consumer prices rose 3.5% from a year ago in March, more than expected

Quote:

The consumer price index accelerated at a faster than expected pace in March, pushing inflation higher and likely keeping the Federal Reserve on hold with interest rates.
The CPI, a broad measure of goods and services costs across the economy, rose 0.4% for the month, putting the 12-month inflation rate at 3.5%, or 0.3 percentage point higher than in February. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a 0.3% gain and a 3.4% year-over-year level.

Excluding volatile food and energy components, core CPI also accelerated 0.4% on a monthly basis while rising 3.8% from a year ago, compared to respective estimates for 0.3% and 3.7%.

Our politicians have no desire to fix this. At this point, they are merely raiding the treasury to get as much money to themselves and their cronies as possible before it all comes crashing down.

Meanwhile, the propaganda machine will continue to tell us this is "ThE bEsT eCoNoMy EvEr!"

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/10/cpi-inflation-march-2024-consumer-prices-rose-3point5percent-from-a-year-ago-in-march.html
Our politicians created this in 1913.
I know Biden, Nancy, and War Turtle are old - but they are not crypt keeper old!
I respectfully disagree
TexasAggiesWin
S
Just provided an amazing commercial opportunity for the Republican Party with Joey's voice saying, "We have dramatically reduced inflation" while showing actual costs of items people buy.
jwhaby
Birdwatcher said:

Time to reign in corporate greed again FTC just released a report about grocery price fixing . Big surprise but the big 7 food manufacturers and the big 4 grocery chains had record profits this quarter. Until corporations get the screws put in them, inflation will never slow down

I assume you're being facetious because corporate greed isn't the issue. Grocery stores run on very thin margins (like 2%-3%). If their profit numbers are going up, it's not because the margins are expanding, it's because the cost of goods is increasing. Also, there are fewer people eating out these days, so grocery stores are the beneficiaries. It's more likely that higher COGS and greater volume are causing record profits.
Street Fighter
AG
CDUB98 said:

Our politicians have no desire to fix this. At this point, they are merely raiding the treasury to get as much money to themselves and their cronies as possible before it all comes crashing down.

Why would they cease stealing from the middle class to enrich themselves and their cronies? That won't happen until the middle class ceases to exist.
LMCane
TexasAggiesWin said:

Just provided an amazing commercial opportunity for the Republican Party with Joey's voice saying, "We have dramatically reduced inflation" while showing actual costs of items people buy.
or that he is too stupid to realize he hasn't reduced "inflation"

he only reduced the RATE OF INCREASE of inflation.

it would help if we had a Presidential candidate who could make the same argument.
General Jack D. Ripper
How can the best and brightest on Wall Street be surprised by "unexpected" inflation reports? Any fool can go to the supermarket and see they're paying 30% more than 3 years ago.
Sims
AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

How can the best and brightest on Wall Street be surprised by "unexpected" inflation reports? Any fool can go to the supermarket and see they're paying 30% more than 3 years ago.
Wall Street is profit driven. Lower rates = higher asset prices, higher financial markets and bigger Wall Street bonuses.

Expecting inflation to come in under control sells a rate cut narrative and directs market investment.

Unexpected happens because higher inflation = no rate cut = market re-positioning away from equities = no bonus = sad trombone.

The better "best and brightest" to watch is insider selling and right now insiders are selling at a 50 to 1 ratio versus insider purchases.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

The better "best and brightest" to watch is insider selling and right now insiders are selling at a 50 to 1 ratio versus insider purchases.
Seen this do a rolling start since December of last year. People at the top know what's up.

The question is where is all this money gonna go?

In what lifeboat are they planning on parking all this cash?
samurai_science
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

Seen this do a rolling start since December of last year. People at the top know what's up.

Physcial assets maybe?
Sims
AG

Quote:

Risk free rates @ 5%+ is pretty attractive in a market best described as WTF in an election year.
LMCane
Sims said:

Wall Street is profit driven. Lower rates = higher asset prices, higher financial markets and bigger Wall Street bonuses.

Expecting inflation to come in under control sells a rate cut narrative and directs market investment.

Unexpected happens because higher inflation = no rate cut = market re-positioning away from equities = no bonus = sad trombone.

well stated

I have also noticed in the past few months a LOT of insider trading and sale of their own corporate stock
LMCane
Sims said:

Quote:

Risk free rates @ 5%+ is pretty attractive in a market best described as WTF in an election year.
hey buddy- appreciate your acumen

what am I missing here?

if I am buying $10,000 corporate bonds with Toronto Dominion for 1 month, and then roll that over and do it for an entire year...

isn't that a 71% profit?
Sims
AG
Those coupon rates are APR, not one month yields if that is one of your assumptions.
Aggies1322
AG
We need some deflation asap
hunter2012
AG
Opalka said:

I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.

Care to guess which stage you're at?
B-1 83
AG
Opalka said:

I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.
Let me spell this out to you…….E-N-E-R-G-Y. The USA should lead the world in petroleum exploration, development, and export. We have an administration that has hammered the petroleum industry at every turn while touting sources and technology that has not caught up. We should also lead in renewables, but not at the asinine subsidies and importation of Chinese hardware we have now. It all starts there……
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
richardag
jwhaby said:

Birdwatcher said:

Time to reign in corporate greed again FTC just released a report about grocery price fixing . Big surprise but the big 7 food manufacturers and the big 4 grocery chains had record profits this quarter. Until corporations get the screws put in them, inflation will never slow down
I assume you're being facetious because corporate greed isn't the issue. Grocery stores run on very thin margins (like 2%-3%). If their profit numbers are going up, it's not because the margins are expanding, it's because the cost of goods is increasing. Also, there are fewer people eating out these days, so grocery stores are the beneficiaries. It's more likely that higher COGS and greater volume are causing record profits.
I worked in the dairy industry. 1.5% profit was considered outstanding. A marketing/sales genius decided to let a supermarket chain we supplied order and stock their shelves. They naturally kept their shelves fully stocked. The shelf life we set was 14 days. Our returns for out of date skyrocketed, profits disappeared from this chain, but sales went up. So the marketing genius got a huge annual bonus, the plant manager got no bonus.

Sorry for the derail. Just pointing out the food industry makes very low margins historically.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
EskimoJoe
Opalka said:

Some of what you are about to read will not sit well with a lot of people, but this is how macroeconomics works. This is real world macroeconomics, IVY league macroeconomics may not work like this.

Step 1 is reign in government spending so there is less money floating around,

Step 2 is a less restrictive intervention in the energy sector so it costs less to produce and transport goods.

Step 3 is increase interest rates to correct artificially inflated prices supported by people who make large purchase decisions strictly by size of monthly payment.

Step 4 is get rid of or lower the artificial floor set by the government for the cost of labor. Every time minimum wage goes up, inflation rises and the purchasing power decreases for those making minimum wage, therefore even though their nominal wage goes up, their real wage decreases.
EskimoJoe
jja79 said:

10 year US Treasury yield back up over 4.50%. Expect mortgage rates to increase and the cost of housing to increase.

here come the evil landlords!
EskimoJoe
HunterAggie said:

jefe95 said:

Need the slime in congress to draft and pass an inflation reduction act.
They've done that about 3 times in 3 years.

That's why it's exploding.

That was the inflation enhancement act
JWinTX
Sims said:

I'd like to see your source on this last one. Not saying you're wrong. Just interested.
JSKolache
AG
CDUB98 said:

Meanwhile, the propaganda machine will continue to tell us this is "ThE bEsT eCoNoMy EvEr!"

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/10/cpi-inflation-march-2024-consumer-prices-rose-3point5percent-from-a-year-ago-in-march.html
Raiding the treasury? The treasury is empty, bone dry. It's just a pile of 33 trillion IOUs.
Heineken-Ashi
JSKolache said:

CDUB98 said:

Raiding the treasury? The treasury is empty, bone dry. It's just a pile of 33 trillion IOUs.
Not only that, but the only source of revenue is taxes. The FED is in the red and won't remit interest to the treasury until 2029 at the earliest. The only way they can get money from the FED is if the FED decides to epand their balance sheet and buy treasuries. And no matter what rate they set to do that at, it's not good for the economy. Low rates = more inflation and possibly hyperinflation. Current or higher rates = exponentially deeper hole and adding decades to the timeline of digging out so they can remit interest again.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
PA24
AG
Trump better not mess this up, Biden is so bad.
LMCane
Home Ownership more expensive than ever

Wall Street Journal on the rising costs of home ownership

verifies that I should rent when I move to Florida in a few years.

although why wouldn't the price of renting being rising so high to cover the costs to the actual home-owner?

or is the reality that renting a house from a private person is always going to be more expensive than renting in a large apartment complex?
jja79
AG
The home owner knows the minimum his housing costs. The tenant knows the maximum his housing costs.
LMCane
someone was asking how Americans are putting up with this high inflation for so long.

this may be one of the answers:

Credit Card Delinquency Rates highest on record

along with the post I made a few weeks ago about how 401K loans/early withdrawals are also at an all time high record.

clearly families are scrambling to keep buying.
LMCane
Core PPI now also increases over past month

Sims
AG
JWinTX said:

Sims said:

I'd like to see your source on this last one. Not saying you're wrong. Just interested.
Insider trades buy v sell
LMCane
jja79 said:

10 year US Treasury yield back up over 4.50%. Expect mortgage rates to increase and the cost of housing to increase.

one of my buddies is claiming that if you buy a 1 month Corporate Bank Bond

that you only get 1/12 of the rate listed for the payout.

meaning a 5.8% one month bond is only 1/12 that payout.

is that correct?
LMCane
MARKET INSIDER

The 'supercore' inflation measure shows Fed may have a real problem on its hands UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO Brian Evans

Markets are buzzing about an even more specific prices gauge contained within the data the so-called supercore inflation reading.

The gauge measures services inflation excluding food, energy and housing and has been roaring higher lately, up 4.8% year over year in March and more than 8% at a 3-month annualized pace.

The picture is more complicated because some of the most stubborn components of services inflation are household necessities like car and housing insurance as well as property taxes.

Uh oh..
jja79
AG
I have no idea. I pay attention to that because I spent decades in mortgage and watched the relationship. Now that I've been retired for 2 weeks I can't seem to quit watching it.

Gasoline is $4.49 or so where I am so that seems inflationary.
Sims
AG
LMCane said:

MARKET INSIDER

The 'supercore' inflation measure shows Fed may have a real problem on its hands UPDATED 3 HOURS AGO Brian Evans

Markets are buzzing about an even more specific prices gauge contained within the data the so-called supercore inflation reading.

The gauge measures services inflation excluding food, energy and housing and has been roaring higher lately, up 4.8% year over year in March and more than 8% at a 3-month annualized pace.

The picture is more complicated because some of the most stubborn components of services inflation are household necessities like car and housing insurance as well as property taxes.

Uh oh..
Truflation is really interesting to watch. It has a near 100% correlation with CPI since 2012.. It's much more real time than CPI or its variants. It also tracks millions of data points rather than a super small basket of goods.

Truflation says we are actually already below 2% and trending lower.

Truflation
jja79
AG
Do you believe it's at 2% and trending lower?
EskimoJoe
LMCane said:

jja79 said:

one of my buddies is claiming that if you buy a 1 month Corporate Bank Bond

that you only get 1/12 of the rate listed for the payout.

meaning a 5.8% one month bond is only 1/12 that payout.

is that correct?

If the rate is quoted as APR or yearly rate, then you divide by 12 to figure the monthly rate or monthly yield.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.