Inflation "More Than Expected"

14,740 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Opalka said:

I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.

You really should have sat this one out, goalie.

Goodness…
Exactly.

The answer is; less war/communism/invasion/crime. Freedom wins. Every single damn thing the gov't has done the past 3.5 years has made this worse. "Muh, what can the gov't do?"
young eugene
AG
I may have found actual good news. Inflation on new cars is down (good for me since I would like a new one). Granted prices have risen to ridiculous amounts but this is a first step.
CDUB98
AG
young eugene said:

I may have found actual good news. Inflation on new cars is down (good for me since I would like a new one). Granted prices have risen to ridiculous amounts but this is a first step.
Just Monday, I priced out a new F150, XLT with all the goodies I want, $70,000 MSRP, FOR AN XLT!!

That is stupid.

I decided to price out a Taco the way I wanted after that. It was $50,000. Good gawd!

Pretty sure I'm going to have to hit the used market.
MemphisAg1
AG
CDUB98 said:

young eugene said:

Just Monday, I priced out a new F150, XLT with all the goodies I want, $70,000 MSRP, FOR AN XLT!!

That is stupid.

I decided to price out a Taco the way I wanted after that. It was $50,000. Good gawd!

I bought a new XLT for $40k six years ago.

Using your $70k quote that's gross inflation of 75%, or 10% per year compounded over that period.

Bidenflation.
LMCane
MelvinUdall said:

Opalka said:

I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.

How about unnecessary spending from the federal level..also, this administration put out a bill called the "Inflation Reduction Act" that had all types of spending…

it would be pretty cool if we actually had a Presidential candidate who could point all of that out.
LMCane
CDUB98 said:

young eugene said:

That is stupid.

that's much more than my 2023 BMW Gran Coupe in Storm Bay Metallic

JasonD2005
AG
"Unexpected"
there's that word again

Like "gravitas" and "SUV"
CDUB98
AG
A big jump in price is simply because I wanted ONE option that forced me into the high end tech/interior package. It added something like $7k to the price. Pissed me off so much.
captkirk
AG
FIDO*98* said:

3.5%***

***Not including most things you actually spend money on that have gone up significantly more than that. Please flag any items you see above that mark and notify us so we can drop them from our calculations
Yeah, excluding unimportant items like food, energy and housing
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Logos Stick said:

nortex97 said:

And there are posters on this thread/site pulling for Xiden's re-election.

The majority on the left only care about social issues now.
Issues that they magnify far beyond what reality shows us.
Heineken-Ashi
Just wait until the revisions.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
richardag
Logos Stick said:

So it was 3.2 last month and 3.5 this month. LMAO!!! Take out food and energy and its 3.8%.

Seems we are going in the wrong direction. Powell should have raised rates already.

I am not a macroeconomist but seems raising rates does not work when the Feds are on a printing dollars binge. I could be wrong but what we are seeing should be considered the devaluation of the dollar over the previous concept of inflation.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Funky Winkerbean
AG
richardag said:

Logos Stick said:

So it was 3.2 last month and 3.5 this month. LMAO!!! Take out food and energy and its 3.8%.

Seems we are going in the wrong direction. Powell should have raised rates already.

I am not a macroeconomist but seems raising rates does not work when the Feds are on a printing dollars binge. I could be wrong but what we are seeing should be considered the devaluation of the dollar over the previous concept of inflation.
This. I am leaning more and more in this direction as well. The destruction of the dollar could set off global chaos which the Democrats (communists) rely upon.
texsn95
AG
LMCane said:

CDUB98 said:

young eugene said:

That is stupid.

Corolla inspired BMW...no thanks.
strbrst777
"Bidenomics is working." lol! Biden. Janet Yellen and J. Powell (the Fed.) They had big hands in getting us into this mess. NO confidence in them getting us out!
richardag
Opalka said:

A balanced budget amendment.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
LMCane
so the good news from the destruction of the economy and country is that I get to learn about buying corporate bonds on my private brokerage for the first time:

TORONTO DOMINION BANK SERIES E MTN 5.80000% 08/19/2024

Action
Buy
Quantity
Order Type
Limit at $99.999
Time in Force
Fill or Kill
Conditions
None
Trade Type
Cash
Market Session
Standard
richardag
Kenneth_2003 said:

jefe95 said:

Need the slime in congress to draft and pass an inflation reduction act.
Shouldn't cost more than 2 trillion in additional spending!
Sarcasm duly noted, made me lol.
captkirk
AG
Birdwatcher said:

Time to reign in corporate greed again FTC just released a report about grocery price fixing . Big surprise but the big 7 food manufacturers and the big 4 grocery chains had record profits this quarter. Until corporations get the screws put in them, inflation will never slow down
lolololol
Sims
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

richardag said:

Logos Stick said:

This. I am leaning more and more in this direction as well. The destruction of the dollar could set off global chaos which the Democrats (communists) rely upon.
The treasury sells the debt, the fed buys it. If the fed doesn't buy it, and it certainly has that option, then the government is not funded and we default. The Fed is a facilitator - Congressional spending is the cause.

Jerome Powell has his foot firmly on the brake and Janet Yellen is laughing with two feet on the gas.
Dan Scott
AG
Chipotle continues be the best value for food.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

The destruction of the dollar could set off global chaos which the Democrats (communists) rely upon.
This is our future. They spending like theres no tomorrow because there is no tomorrow.

Collapse of the currency itself is imminent.
Sims
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

The destruction of the dollar could set off global chaos which the Democrats (communists) rely upon.
This is our future. They spending like theres no tomorrow because there is no tomorrow.

Collapse of the currency itself is imminent.
That's really the eventuality for all fiat but imminent collapse is very, very unlikely.
captkirk
AG
Opalka said:

Stop printing money and handing it out
Sims
AG
MemphisAg1 said:

Sims said:

Well that's weird we would see an uptick in inflation even after a decent period of disinflation. It's not like money supply is expanding again or anything even in the face of high inflation. Surely the government wouldn't make that mistake...Oh, wait. Yep, there it is, expanding the money supply again.
Your post spurred a thought on disinflation:

Disinflation is a temporary slowing of the pace of price inflation according to Google.

The media uses this to suggest that inflation is improving, and if the rate of inflation slows down that might technically be an improvement of sorts, it just really doesn't pass the smell test with everyday citizens because it doesn't mean that prices are actually going down -- as in deflating -- they're just not increasing as fast as they were.

That's no comfort to folks who are still struggling with the impact of previous inflation. When you keep piling on top of it, it doesn't really matter that the extra inflation is incrementally not as big as the last dose... it's still increasing.

The media is so disingenuous with this. They try to spin it as things are getting better, even though the common man or woman is living a different experience.
100% accurate. A discussion of price levels vs pre-covid trend lines would be more beneficial to the general population but the media is gonna stay 10000 miles away from that.
LMCane
texsn95 said:

LMCane said:

CDUB98 said:

young eugene said:

That is stupid.

Corolla inspired BMW...no thanks.
I laffed

I only point out that it's an insane world when a pickup truck costs twice as much as a nice BMW.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
nortex97 said:

Some Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Opalka said:

You really should have sat this one out, goalie.

Goodness…
Exactly.

The answer is; less war/communism/invasion/crime. Freedom wins. Every single damn thing the gov't has done the past 3.5 years has made this worse. "Muh, what can the gov't do?"
If the current administration had just done nothing we would be exponentially better off right now in everything

Dont underestimate Joe's ability to **** up - Obama
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
dmart90
AG
BboroAg said:

CDUB98 said:

These Keynesian "economists" truly cannot grasp the basics of economics.

Quote:

Consumer prices rose 3.5% from a year ago in March, more than expected

Quote:

The consumer price index accelerated at a faster than expected pace in March, pushing inflation higher and likely keeping the Federal Reserve on hold with interest rates.
The CPI, a broad measure of goods and services costs across the economy, rose 0.4% for the month, putting the 12-month inflation rate at 3.5%, or 0.3 percentage point higher than in February. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for a 0.3% gain and a 3.4% year-over-year level.

Excluding volatile food and energy components, core CPI also accelerated 0.4% on a monthly basis while rising 3.8% from a year ago, compared to respective estimates for 0.3% and 3.7%.

Our politicians have no desire to fix this. At this point, they are merely raiding the treasury to get as much money to themselves and their cronies as possible before it all comes crashing down.

Meanwhile, the propaganda machine will continue to tell us this is "ThE bEsT eCoNoMy EvEr!"

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/10/cpi-inflation-march-2024-consumer-prices-rose-3point5percent-from-a-year-ago-in-march.html
Our politicians created this in 1913.
I know Biden, Nancy, and War Turtle are old - but they are not crypt keeper old!
Sims
AG
At this point you almost have to take rate decrease off the table for 2024 - or at least not until Q4.

You'd have a Fed lowering rates in the face of historically low unemployment (I know it's a false measure) and rising inflation in violation of their mandate.
BadMoonRisin
AG
This. many of us were sounding the alarm about inflation when the idea of "stimulus" and "extra unemployment benefits", and PPP loans were just starting to be discussed. We knew what the effect of this would all be, for a stupid cold virus, all of it which was completely unnecessary.

too bad a lot of our posts were disappeared, or else you'd see more bumps on this site than you've ever seen before.
Ghost Mech
Sims said:

At this point you almost have to take rate decrease off the table for 2024 - or at least not until Q4.

You'd have a Fed lowering rates in the face of historically low unemployment (I know it's a false measure) and rising inflation in violation of their mandate.
The Fed might not lower rates but the Dems are sure as hell going to force printing to infinity before the election......

We are in the exponential growth phase of the debt. Got to keep inflating to keep the system afloat.

Dow 50K, Bitcoin $100K, $30 combo meals at Whataburger are coming soon.

StandUpforAmerica
Don't worry... he's got it under control.

I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
Sims
AG
I agree, I think we will see nominal GDP growth but in real terms, be in recession.
AggieVictor10
AG
Biden really ran things into the ground. Beating him in Nov. should be cake.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
LMCane
StandUpforAmerica said:

Don't worry... he's got it under control.

I bet he is too stupid to even realize he is gaslighting at this point

he doesn't understand they have reduced the RATE of inflation, not actually reducing inflation. (and creating deflation)

maybe in the 1970s he would have been lying and gaslighting us

at this point, he doesn't know anything other than what is written on his note cards

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.