Inflation "More Than Expected"

14,667 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by LMCane
Sims
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jja79 said:

Do you believe it's at 2% and trending lower?
They make a compelling argument. Their tool is much more real time than anything the Federal Reserve is (outwardly) using.

Quote:

By licensing data from over 30 providers and aggregators, we ensure a representative and balanced measurement. Multiple sources per category, each with distinct methodologies, amplify accuracy.

With access to more than 10 million data points, as opposed to the traditional 80,000, our indexes offer unmatched depth.
The sampling seems superior to the CPI methodology in my opinion.

The correlation is near 100% if you shift the timescale (ie Truflation would show at a datapoint today that CPI might reflect a quarter from now). So Truflation @ 2% could be similar data to what Powell is seeing that is leading him to believe they may need a rate cut by year end. Truflation, for what it's worth, did show a reacceleration of inflation from August to December of 2023 and that may be what CPI/CPE is showing us now.

Even @ 2% inflation, price levels rise. So while it is a small number, our wallets still hurt.
captkirk
AG
jja79
AG
When I go to the grocery store, gas station, out to eat, get my insurance bill, etc I'm not seeing 2%.
Fenrir
Actual inflation
LMCane
Home-buying affordability fell last year to the lowest level since 1985,

according to a National Association of Realtors index that factors in family incomes, mortgage rates and median single-family home prices.
aggiehawg
AG
Perfect timing, indeed. LOL. Breaking news smashes the false narrative, mid interview.

samurai_science
EskimoJoe said:

Opalka said:

I don't know what you folks think politicians can do to bring down inflation. Is there some kind of magic law that need proposed/passed? I've read that the biggest influence right now is housing.....people are willing to pay crazy amounts for the limited housing. Should the FED raise or lower interest? There is no law that's going to fix this. If people are willing to continue to pay higher prices, continuing the demand for goods and services, nothing will change.

Some of what you are about to read will not sit well with a lot of people, but this is how macroeconomics works. This is real world macroeconomics, IVY league macroeconomics may not work like this.

Step 1 is reign in government spending so there is less money floating around,

Step 2 is a less restrictive intervention in the energy sector so it costs less to produce and transport goods.

Step 3 is increase interest rates to correct artificially inflated prices supported by people who make large purchase decisions strictly by size of monthly payment.

Step 4 is get rid of or lower the artificial floor set by the government for the cost of labor. Every time minimum wage goes up, inflation rises and the purchasing power decreases for those making minimum wage, therefore even though their nominal wage goes up, their real wage decreases.
Sims
AG
jja79 said:

When I go to the grocery store, gas station, out to eat, get my insurance bill, etc I'm not seeing 2%.
Sure, price level is the tangible part of inflation.

I'm comparing the derivative of price level when I'm comparing CPI and Truflation. Truflation aggregate inflation measure since Jan 2020 is 24.25%. When you get into the weeds and talk about inflation slowing down, now you're talking 2nd derivative of price level which requires good tools.

The difficulty of the Fed's job (ultimately why we track inflation) is that inflation acts with long and variable lags so if you are using data that is already old to influence a change that won't take place for a long time - you need the most real time metrics you can get. That's what Truflation seeks to do vs CPI. The Fed is never going to be able to steer straight down the road using CPI as a metric - they're going to always look like a drunk driver careening down the road making constant over corrections and hoping not to end up in the ditch.
jja79
AG
I don't know Jim Clyburn but he's a GD liar.
jja79
AG
My wallet is my measuring tool.
aggiehawg
AG
jja79 said:

Long termer in the House from South Carolina. He's the one who dragged Biden over the line in the Dem SC primary in 2020 and gave new life to that campaign.
Slicer97
AG
jja79 said:

And/or insanely stupid. Probably "and".
jja79
AG
aggiehawg said:

jja79 said:

Long termer in the House from South Carolina. He's the one who dragged Biden over the line in the Dem SC primary in 2020 and gave new life to that campaign.
I was really funny listening to them talk about misinformation while this liar was saying incomes are up, prices are down and the message is good.
CDUB98
AG
Slicer97 said:

jja79 said:

Or insanely stupid.
Sims
AG
jja79 said:

My wallet is my measuring tool.
Hah, yes, very good!
The Fife
jja79 said:

He's an embarrassing idiot who my area was gerrymandered into. I vote against him at every possible chance.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Slicer97 said:

jja79 said:

Or insanely stupid.
Why not both?
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
jja79
AG
and more
Slicer97
AG
Fixed.
LMCane
The Fife said:

jja79 said:

He's an embarrassing idiot who my area was gerrymandered into. I vote against him at every possible chance.
you need to move to Mount Pleasant
strbrst777
The Fife said:

jja79 said:

___,His remarks were shocking! Is it possible that he believes what he said is true: Hard to believe that he could possibly believe that anyone would believe him. It was beyond dumb and even dumber to say it. In Nov SC voters will give him another term. That. too, is dumb. Sad that such as he have votes on things that affect every American. He may even believe as does Sheila J. Lee that the moon is a planet of gas. lol or cry.
jja79
AG
He absolutely believes it and so did the morons watching.
The Fife
LMCane said:

The Fife said:

jja79 said:

you need to move to Mount Pleasant

Nah, I lived there for a while and thought it sucked.
deddog
AG
jja79 said:

He absolutely believes it and so did the morons watching.
Exactly
You realize that there are plenty of 4 year aggie graduates, that post on *this* board, who are blaming "corporations" for raising prices.

This country has been successfully dumbed down by the marxist "educators" that infest our schools.
jja79
AG
The upcoming election will possibly be decided by the dumbest Americans.
CDUB98
AG
jja79 said:

Possibly?
jja79
AG
I'm trying to hold onto a sliver of hope.
LMCane
jja79 said:

"possibly"?!?!?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.