737 Max in the news again

32,732 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Rapier108
torrid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bregxit said:

Pinochet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

They've found some phones that got sucked out the plane.
if you click on that first photo to enlarge it, you can see that the phone was on the charger when it was ripped out of the plane, the usb plug is still in, with the cable ripped off.

How is it still unlocked?

You can turn autolock off. It isn't magic.

As long as your corporate overlords allow it.
GAC06
AG
Can't speak to the max9 but every 737 I've seen (including max8's) the cockpit door isn't supposed to open in a decompression event. There are panels designed to blow out specially to keep the door intact. Maybe something Boeing can add to the list.
aggiehawg
AG
How does this happen? Is it common?

nortex97
AG
Not a conspiracy, it had to be manually stopped when they landed/evacuated the plane, and in their haste they failed to do so. My 2 cents, having read some commentary on it…
aggiehawg
AG
nortex97 said:

Not a conspiracy, it had to be manually stopped when they landed/evacuated the plane, and in their haste they failed to do so. My 2 cents, having read some commentary on it…
Okay, thanks!
nortex97
AG
GAC06 said:

Can't speak to the max9 but every 737 I've seen (including max8's) the cockpit door isn't supposed to open in a decompression event. There are panels designed to blow out specially to keep the door intact. Maybe something Boeing can add to the list.
A 'decompression event' sounds anodyne/dry, but it can vary a lot though. For instance, a 2 inch hole in the fuselage will have a much different impact on the depressurization than a door blowing away in a tenth of a second. Pressure vessels are tricky.
Stat Monitor Repairman

Quote:

send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.
Shoefly!
AG
aggiehawg said:

nortex97 said:

Okay, thanks!

Ahahaha! Yes I don't believe anything anymore since Boeing is overseeing their own safety standards. The FAA is compromised.
Bubblez
GAC06 said:

Well, they have added it to the to do list ... update the documentation.

JFABNRGR
AG
nortex97 said:

What is the checklist for the evacuation that they did or what is the procedure for power? Is the APU or batteries left on that the CVR would continue to overwrite for that 2 hour duration?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
aggiehawg said:

How does this happen? Is it common?

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/alaska-737-cockpit-voice-recorder-data-erasure-renews-industry-safety-debate-2024-01-08/

Quote:

The U.S. requires cockpit voice recorders to log two hours of data versus 25 hours in Europe for planes made after 2021.

The industry has been wrestling with the length of cockpit recordings since the disappearance of a Malaysian jet in 2014.

The NTSB has been vocal in calling for the U.S. to extend its rule to 25 hours. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) a month ago said it was proposing to extend to 25 hours but only for new aircraft in line with the European policy.

"I'm calling on the FAA to change the rulemaking," Homendy said, adding that she wanted to see aircraft retrofitted with 25-hour recorders, not just new planes.

"If that communication is not recorded, that is unfortunately a loss for us and a loss for the FAA and a loss for safety because that information is key not just for our investigation but for improving aviation safety," she said.

Congress should take action in the FAA reauthorization bill to ensure the proposed rule is adopted, Homendy said.

The two agencies have sparred in the past over the way in which the NTSB's recommendations are implemented.

Debate about whether to adopt the longer recording time juggles considerations of cost or privacy against safety.

The U.S. FAA has previously rejected the NTSB's call for retrofitting aircraft with new cockpit voice recorders, saying the costs would be significant at $741 million versus $196 million under incremental upgrades it proposed.

Several pilot groups oppose longer recordings.

"(It) would significantly infringe upon the privacy rights of pilots and other flight crew members, as well as drastically increase the likelihood that CVR recordings will be misused or disseminated without authorization," the union representing pilots for Atlas Air told the FAA last month.

The issue has taken on new urgency after a series of near miss incidents raised alarms about U.S. air safety. The NTSB has conducted 10 investigations since 2018 where the CVR was overwritten, including four runway incursions, Homendy said.

The comments came as Japanese media reported that the voice recorder from a Japan Airlines Airbus A350 that collided with a Japanese Coastguard plane last week had been recovered.

Some agencies have additionally called for video cockpit recordings, which most pilot groups oppose even more strongly because they could be used in courtrooms or unfairly leaked.
Breggy Popup
AG
torrid said:

Bregxit said:

Pinochet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

if you click on that first photo to enlarge it, you can see that the phone was on the charger when it was ripped out of the plane, the usb plug is still in, with the cable ripped off.

My corporate overlords don't own my phone.
cryption
Bregxit said:

cryption said:

Bubblez said:

The cockpit door apparently was designed to open up in a decompression event which it did, but none of the flight crew knew about it. Boeing is going to update some documentation.
Hopefully terrorists don't know that. Could make it an easy way to access the cockpit when they intend on crashing the plane anyway.

What's an "easy" way to cause a decompression event on an airliner?
Break a window? Landing gear? That's a good question I don't have the answer to - but people with more motivation than I have could figure it out I'm sure
C@LAg
Bregxit said:

torrid said:

Bregxit said:

Pinochet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

My corporate overlords don't own my phone.
yeah, I don't get his response either.
lobopride
My wife for one. Hates to unlock phones.
I am a slave of Christ
TexasRebel
AG
JFABNRGR said:

nortex97 said:

What is the checklist for the evacuation that they did or what is the procedure for power? Is the APU or batteries left on that the CVR would continue to overwrite for that 2 hour duration?

Are they hiring people qualified to follow a checklist in a panic?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Pinochet said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

i was just stating a fun fact, not commenting on it being unlocked. sorry for the confusion.
nortex97
AG
My question is how I can lose mine in the couch but that guy gets his back in pristine condition even in airplane mode after it got chunked 10,000 feet.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I'd say we got about 3-days before some Youtuber buys a bunch of phones and throws them out of an airplane to see which ones survive.
GAC06
AG
TexasRebel said:

JFABNRGR said:

nortex97 said:

Are they hiring people qualified to follow a checklist in a panic?

Seems unlikely they were shutting the plane down in a panic at the gate after everyone got off.
Kenneth_2003
AG
JFABNRGR said:

nortex97 said:

They should have pulled the circuit breaker for the CVR.

There may be a separate checklist for shutdown following Mayday and it wasn't used, they missed a step, or they used the standard shutdown checklist.

I'm sure it was an accident to not preserve it.
C@LAg
This is worded weird, or am I misunderstanding it?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/09/business/boeing-safety-meeting-737-max-factory/index.html

Boeing CEO acknowledges 'mistake' related to terrifying Alaska Airlines flight

Boeing CEO David Calhoun acknowledged the company's "mistake" in the wake of the Alaska Airlines incident at a staff-wide "safety meeting" Tuesday.

"We're going to approach this number one acknowledging our mistake," Calhoun told staff, according to a partial readout of the meeting shared with CNN. "We're going to approach it with 100% and complete transparency every step of the way. We are going to work with the NTSB who is investigating the accident itself to find out what the cause is."

A company source told CNN that Boeing believes "the mistake in question" was introduced in the aircraft's manufacturing supply chain, however it is not immediately clear if Calhoun identified any specific error during the presentation.

The source said the meeting also included a reminder of the seriousness of the situation. Employees were told that the company's Chief Safety Officer is now in charge of the 737 Max fleet, the source said.

The meeting, which took place at noon Pacific from the 737 Max factory in Renton, Washington, also included an expression of confidence in "Boeing, the airplane, and (Boeing's) employees," the source said.

During the meeting, Boeing also pledged to work with the NTSB as it tries to determine what took place, the source said.

Kenneth_2003
AG
They don't have ANY of the bolts that were supposed to "pin" the door in place.

As to the CVR... NTSB mentioned this the other day and it didn't register with me. When the cockpit door blow open during the depressurization they lost some check lists. They might have lost the emergency landing or after emergency landing checklist. That list would have as the last item, consider pulling the CVR circuit breaker. They may have done a lot from memory items.

But again... The NTSB hasn't found the bolts!

Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

also included an expression of confidence in "Boeing, the airplane, and (Boeing's) employees," the source said.
What's a step up from an expression of confidence?

Where do we go from here?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Kenneth_2003 said:

Our man Juan Brown explaining how this dang plug is supposed to work.

If you want to open it, you remove the two bolts at the top, then the hinges have a spring assist to lift the plug about an inch so the stop fittings clear the stop guides, then it will roll it's on the hinges.

Cable ties keep the plug from fully opening like the full emergency exit only door.
Looks like somebody might have forgot to put castle nut and cotter pin back on.

They may have sent it without the lock bolts at all.

The plug may have sat in that channel under its own gravity for hundreds of hours until it didn't.
nortex97
AG
Between Boeing and the Pete Buttigieg DEI hires at the FAA, it's getting pretty scary out there;

What a mess. I have been too dismissive of calls for Boeing's entire board of directors to be replaced for several years now. I think only one is an aerospace engineer at all, and they need not just the CEO/executives gone now, but rather the board that hires them, replaced with people who care about/know a thing or two about planes/rockets etc. and aren't just blackrock-style WEF communist 'do gooders' or Jack Welch acolytes.
Logos Stick
Go take a look at Spirit AeroSystems web site. DEI to the max.

They manufactured the door plug.

They are in the middle of a class action lawsuit alleging "sustained quality failures" in their products.
nortex97
AG
Agreed, I've seen more than a 'few' comments about that too. When you are getting "DiversityInc" recognition for your hiring programs…well, you've got a problem, which is likely to metastasize.

Kenneth_2003
AG
Spirit may have built it, but I'm pretty sure Boeing removed then reinstalled it during final assembly of the plane. I don't know if it was completely removed or just shifted to it's open 15* maintenance position.

Likely same qualifications, just Washington based vs Wichita based morons
fc2112
nortex97 said:

I think only one is an aerospace engineer at all, and they need not just the CEO/executives gone now, but rather the board that hires them, replaced with people who care about/know a thing or two about planes/rockets etc. and aren't just blackrock-style WEF communist 'do gooders' or Jack Welch acolytes.
I am willing to step in and perform this vital function for Boeing.

Seriously, you just need one good stress man in the loop to keep everyone high and tight.
nortex97
AG
I would vote for you.

Seriously, this is from Leeham (admittedly a staunch critic of Boeing) 4 years ago about the situation. And Scott (as well as his wife) are far left politically (as in, greenpeace types who suffer from intense TDS). But the criticisms about the board's composition post-merger through to today are/were valid.

Excerpt (read the whole thing, fwiw/my two cents):
Quote:

Who the Board needs
The Board does not have a single person versed in aerospace engineering and safety.
Admirals Edmund Giambastiani and John Richardson are from the nuclear Navy. Certainly their experience in nuclear safety is nothing to sneeze at. But it's not aerospace.

The aerospace safety committee created by the Board in August and announced a month later consists Larry Kellner, the former CEO of Continental Airlines, Giambastiani, Richardson and Lynn Good, CEO of an energy company.

These four may know how to navigate among safety regulations, but they aren't aerospace engineers or aviation safety experts. (During Kellner's five years as CEO, there were only one fatal accident at Continental. One involved a ground mechanic being sucked into an engine. One other accident involved a 737 skidding off the runway and catching fire. Nobody died.)

Eight of the 13 Boeing Board members were on the Board when the MAX program was launched in July 2011 by then-CEO Jim McNerney. Calhoun was named to the Board in 2009. One Board member was named in 2007 and another in 2004. Everyone one of these Board members were in place when Dennis Muilenburg was named chairman, president and CEO. Lynn Good also falls into the latter action.
And hiring a KPMG consultant (and Schwab/collins stepping down) and earlier replacing Nikki Haley (Rino) did not…change the board, net, for the positive, imho. It's…a **** show, still, of PC non-aviation low-IQ morons.

Frankly, since this is F16, I think Nikki should still be grilled about her time as a Boeing board member since she clearly, imho, failed to help the company in many ways in this job.
Stat Monitor Repairman
nortex97 said:

Lol at this.

Dude trying to land a plane and this lady nagging him.

She backseat driving from the tower.
StandUpforAmerica
DEI strikes again....

I'm voting for DeSantis in the primary, but will happily vote for Trump in the general election if he wins the primary.
TexasRebel
AG
They aren't very aerodynamic.
C@LAg
TexasRebel said:

They aren't very aerodynamic.
they were the models for the Blue Angels' Fat Albert

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.