737 Max in the news again

32,731 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Rapier108
Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

The briefing will be at the Embassy Suites Portland Airport Hotel

Government employees love that manager's happy hour from 5-7pm.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Quote:

The briefing will be at the Embassy Suites Portland Airport Hotel

Government employees love that manager's happy hour from 5-7pm.

Hey, I'm not government and I'll seek out the HH at the Staybridge M, T, & W. Couple drinks and a heavy ordouvres that I can stretch into dinner, and pocket my perdiem? Sign me up
Kenneth_2003
AG
Listening to the NTSB...
Still haven't located the door plug. Have found 2 cell phones
3 lap children

CVR circuit breaker was not pulled, and was overwritten at the 2 hour mark. Now she's off topic and editorializing against the FAA for not mandating 25 hr CVRs like Europe.

She also praised the flight crew earlier, though they have not been interviewed yet (she didn't say they have been).

My first thoughts... She's in charge???

Oh... Previous issues were an illumination of the Auto Pressurization light that was remedied by selecting an Aux setting. The incident plane has been derated/restricted for no ETOPS (No extended operation on single engine, no flights to Hawaii which is more than capable of).
GAC06
AG
What's your objection
Kenneth_2003
AG
Just fist impression...

A lot of uhhh s and ummms. Not a smooth public speaker for someone giving a press conference.

It also struck me as odd to praise the flight crew (regardless of merit) early in an investigation. I'm not implying they did something wrong, but I would think use caution regarding praise of parties that haven't been interviewed. And yeah the flight crew failed to pull the CVR CB for evidence preservation.

I also found the editorializing about CVR recording time to be inappropriate for an accident investigation PC. But I guess she's got an audience with reporters so...

Oh... The seats by the plug were torqued in their mounts! The decompression also blew the sealed cockpit door open and sucked a checklist off the dash.
UAS Ag
Kenneth_2003 said:

Listening to the NTSB...
3 lap children

CVR circuit breaker was not pulled, and was overwritten at the 2 hour mark. Now she's off topic and editorializing against the FAA for not mandating 25 hr CVRs like Europe.

She also praised the flight crew earlier, though they have not been interviewed yet (she didn't say they have been).

Oh... Previous issues were an illumination of the Auto Pressurization light that was remedied by selecting an Aux setting. The incident plane has been derated/restricted for no ETOPS (No extended operation on single engine, no flights to Hawaii which is more than capable of).
3 lap children???
GAC06
AG
The flight crew apparently did a good job dealing with an explosive decompression. You're trying too hard to find fault. The plug door blew out.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Sorry..
3 lap children were on the flight.
Added editorializing there too for pax to use car seats.
Rapier108
Kenneth_2003 said:

Listening to the NTSB...
3 lap children

The NTSB never misses a chance to complain that the FAA (or some other agency) hasn't followed their recommendations.

She is not a good public speaker. I've seen some of her other times she's been with the Go-Team and public speaking is a skill she sorely lacks. They really should keep her back in D.C. and let one of the others do the job. Also, she isn't in charge of the investigation. One board member travels with a Go-Team to act as basically the spokesperson to the media.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Kenneth_2003
AG
Not trying to find fault or lay blame. Just my impression while listening live.

To Rapiers comment above... Do they not have a PIO?
UAS Ag
Kenneth_2003 said:

Sorry..
3 lap children were on the flight.
Added editorializing there too for pax to use car seats.
Whew...

I read this:

Quote:

Have found 2 cell phones

3 lap children

And was wondering....
C@LAg
ban lap children.

and children in general..

on airplanes.

edit to add, because he earned it below: And GAC06

everywhere.
GAC06
AG
Ban people that cry more than babies. Also ban people that cry about babies. Also ban people that want to ban people.
UAS Ag
GAC06 said:

Ban people that cry more than babies. Also ban people that cry about babies. Also ban people that want to ban people.
I vote we just ban people.
C@LAg
GAC06 said:

enjoy your ban then.
torrid
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

Listening to the NTSB...
3 lap children

Found it. It was in someone's backyard. Must be a pretty big backyard.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Press Conference ends just before 9pm Pacific and they find the door afterwards.

Odd.. but ok. Glad they've found it. Edit... Odd that someone was outside to find a door in their yard at that time of day.
nortex97
AG
Yeah I just realized we have two of these threads now for some reason. Whatever. Good news.

Unbelievable;

The plane entered revenue service on November 11th, its first trip was a PDX-MCO turn. It flew 49 revenue flights between then and 11/27 before going to OKC for 10 days. 12/7 was the day that it left OKC where AS has MRO work and WiFi installs done by AAR, and was the first time there were pressure warnings on the plane. This maintenance probably involved removing the plug for installation of their WiFi systems, and then re-installing it.

So it might be maintenance-related after all, as the airline-furnished (by a contractor in OKC) WiFi was added not by Boeing but after delivery/operation for a couple months by AS. No video/images of the door yet that I can find, but it is unlikely to have been manufactured incorrectly I would guess, it just wasn't re-installed correctly/safely, and/or was damaged while removed.
TexasRebel
AG
evan_aggie said:

Anyone decipher how this is secured? Looks like internally there are some form of bracket on top... don't see one on bottom. Then it has these little bolt locations. Seems like the interior bracket failed in some way.

What keeps the skin on the frame? Shouldn't there be a pressure surface on the inside of the door frame?
evan_aggie
AG
My assumption was that the door has part of the skin as a lip around and it seals against the body with bolts in two axis. One to pull it against the door z-axis and one in the corners to go x/y.

But it sounded like there are only 4 bolts x/y in the corners?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Two bolts in the bottom utilize the hinge pin attachment points that the regular door uses at the bottom. Then two bolts nearest the top in place of the door latches.

When it's used as a door it doesn't swing like the doors used for standard ingress/egress. It's an event exit only and flips out rotating around it's X axis.

Watch the video that Nortex posted on page 4. He explains in great detail how all of the configurations work.
Scruffy
AG
I had flights to and from London last week....
All children on the plan were good with no crying.
I would rather ban fat people that spill into other seats and smell bad.

But back on topic....
I think Alaska is having growing pains as they're trying to expand their network and the maintenance team hasn't been able to scale up.

Also now that every airline is a credit card company that happens to fly, maybe priorities aren't where they should be.

For the record as well British airways didn't have any in-flight announcements about signing up for their CC.
evan_aggie
AG
How does it hinge and swing down when the airframe has all of those alignment points that would seem to impede it?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Im not completely certain. The plug I think lines up inside those 12 alignment points. Watching that video left a bit confused. I'd like to see a video or an animation of the process.

In the video he has a photo of the plug "opened" and held by cables at about 15degrees. But... How it moves into the closed position for bolting/securement I don't fully understand
aggiedata
AG
Plug has been found

nortex97
AG
Sure doesn't look like the plug section itself blew apart, must not have been secured correctly after the maintenance, imho. Gonna guess…cotter pins? Torque wrench?
TexasAggie_02
AG
shame they didn't post photos of the other side of the plug. I assume that was intentional....
TexasAggie_02
AG
haven't seen this posted yet...

one MEEN Ag
AG
The MCAS was required because the new engine designs required the engines to be placed higher and more forward. This requires a righting force (through wing trim) that wasn't necessary compared to previous designs. The MCAS is a complexity risk, but it could have been done so more robustly and with more than just a smidge of extra training.

MCAS shouldn't be relying on one single sensor to input fly-by-wire changes. They didn't have to go full 3+1 space shuttle style computer voting systems, but my gosh is there a large middle ground here.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Also now that every airline is a credit card company that happens to fly, maybe priorities aren't where they should be.
TexasAggie_02
AG

good video on how the door is supposed to be secured
Bubblez
Bubblez

Just reach in there and hand tighten it with your fingers. That should be good enough...
Psycho Bunny
Someone in the maintenance crew is going to be in big trouble.
nortex97
AG
I am curious if the UA Max9's involved also had IFE (WiFi) equipment installed separately, by AAR in OKC, or other BFE (buyer furnished equipment). Not trying to goal-tend for Boeing, just curious how that could be synced with what we know about the AS plane's maintenance history and the problems on it starting the day after it returned to service from OKC...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.