737 Max in the news again

32,733 Views | 339 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Rapier108
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Look for Southwest to start talking to other manufacturers. This is second time the MAX has had issues and it has severely impacted Southwest's growth plans and operations..
TexasAggiesWin
S
Boeing f***ing around and finding out
Stat Monitor Repairman
So for 120-years America has had a stranglehold on the ability to build and maintain airplanes that work.

Now we've somehow managed to **** that up.

Makes the recent conspiracy talk about the west intentionally ceding economic power to the east by design seem not all that far fetched.
Stat Monitor Repairman

All the Boeing people had to do here was drive the bus.

How do you manage to **** that up?

All they had to do was keep it inside the yellow lines. Keep doing what they had been doing for over 100-years, but they couldn't do that.

Sounds to me like they laid off, pissed off, or fired a bunch of people that actually knew what tf they were doing day to day.

They can blame covid, they can blame DEI, they can blame unions, but it doesn't change the fact that they managed to screw up this bad in an industry where the kinks were largely worked out and all they had to do was drive the bus.

Bizarre. So strange that you almost got to consider some type of intentional sabotage to **** up this bad.
IronFist
Where are the Boeing sycophants to tell us everything is ok there? Love watching this company burn.
jt2hunt
AG
Why step down at the end of the year seems to me they should bring someone in right right now and replace his ass
TriAg2010
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

So for 120-years America has had a stranglehold on the ability to build and maintain airplanes that work.

Now we've somehow managed to **** that up.

Makes the recent conspiracy talk about the west intentionally ceding economic power to the east by design seem not all that far fetched.

Airbus technologically leapfrogged Boeing with the A320 in the mid-80. They matched Boeing in sales by the early 2000s. So I think the American "stranglehold" was better described as "parity" and the status quo didn't arrive overnight. I also don't see this as an east vs west thing when Boeing's sole competitor is a Western European entity.
FTAG 2000
AG
IronFist said:

Where are the Boeing sycophants to tell us everything is ok there? Love watching this company burn.

Why do you love watching any American company burn?

TriAg2010
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

IronFist said:

Why do you love watching any American company burn?

They're just miserable people who think it's clever to paraphrase a Batman movie from 15 years ago. They'd rather everybody suffer if it means the right people are proven wrong.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

Then the pandemic grounded flights and halted factories at Boeing, rival Airbus and suppliers such as Spirit. By 2022, they were straining to meet a surge in demand for new jets as travel boomed. Boeing hired thousands of new staff and steadily increased 737 MAX production.
Turns out staying home and staying safe had consequences.
damiond
Accident: Southwest B38M enroute on May 25th 2024, Dutch Roll
A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737-8 MAX, registration N8825Q performing flight WN-746 from Phoenix,AZ to Oakland,CA (USA) with 175 passengers and 6 crew, was enroute at FL320 when the aircraft experienced Dutch Roll. The crew was able to regain control and landed the aircraft on Oakland's runway 30 about 55 minutes later. The aircraft sustained substantial structural damage. The FAA reported: "AIRCRAFT EXPERIENCED A DUTCH ROLL, REGAINED CONTROL AND POST FLIGHT INSPECTION REVEALED DAMAGE TO THE STANDBY PCU, OAKLAND, CA." and stated the aircraft sustained substantial damage, the occurrence was rated an accident. The aircraft remained on the ground in Oakland until Jun 6th 2024, then positioned to Everett,WA (USA), ATS facilities, and is still on the ground in Everett 6 days later. Dutch Roll is a coupled out of phase movement of the aircraft as result of weakened directional stability (provided by the vertical tail and rudder), in which the aircraft oscillates around its vertical as well as longitudinal axis (coupled yaw and roll). The PCU is the power control unit, an actuator controlling the (vertical) rudder. On Jun 13th 2024 The Aviation Herald learned that two ribs, that the stand by PCU is being mounted to, were damaged as well as the mounts of the stand by actuator. A temporary repair was done in Oakland replacing the damaged PCU, the aircraft was then ferried to Everett to replace the damaged ribs. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA746/history/20240525/1425Z/KPHX/KOAK
https://avherald.com/h?article=519ce679
Rapier108
A part broke, it happens. Aircraft are designed to have plenty of redundancy when something does fail.

Boeing didn't make the part, nor was it installed wrong based on current reports.

The failed part will be examined and if it is found to have a manufacturing defect or design flaw, the FAA will issue an air worthiness directive to have those parts inspected and/or replaced.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
GAC06
AG
That could be one to keep an eye on
Rapier108
GAC06 said:

That could be one to keep an eye on
It could, but it could just as easily end up being a one off bad part.

Of course lots of people are salivating at the thought it will be something really bad, especially a crash with lots of dead.

Over on Fox, a bunch of drooling idiots are replying to the article with "muh DEI" and their other usual crap anytime Fox publishes one of their Boeing hit piece articles.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
JayM
IronFist said:

Why do you love watching them burn? I don't get it. You have a beef with Boeing?
AgNav93
AG
Dutch roll is scary. The Air Force lost a tanker in Afghanistan to Dutch roll. I've seen it once and it will get your attention.
Rapier108
JayM said:

IronFist said:

Why do you love watching them burn? I don't get it. You have a beef with Boeing?
There are a lot of people on the political right who are the "I support the current thing" types, and right now Boeing is their favorite thing to hate because of "muh DEI." It is why Fox News runs anti-Boeing stories almost daily, knowing it will get the clicks from these types. Even if the incident was turbulence, Fox will always say "Boeing plane" in the headline.

They have been told by whatever podcast they listen to or blog they read that Boeing is the enemy and must be destroyed, so they dutifully follow the marching orders.

That said, if you look at his posting history, almost every post was intentionally inflammatory so likely just here to stir the pot. Hasn't posted since March so likely moved on to a new account, or just left.
AggieVictor10
AG
Boeing:Go woke, plane broke.
Less virtue signaling, more vice signaling.

Birds aren’t real.

RFK/brain worm 2024
AgNav93
AG
Rapier108 said:

JayM said:

IronFist said:

There are a lot of people on the political right who are the "I support the current thing" types, and right now Boeing is their favorite thing to hate because of "muh DEI." It is why Fox News runs anti-Boeing stories almost daily, knowing it will get the clicks from these types. Even if the incident was turbulence, Fox will always say "Boeing plane" in the headline.

They have been told by whatever podcast they listen to or blog they read that Boeing is the enemy and must be destroyed, so they dutifully follow the marching orders.

That said, if you look at his posting history, almost every post was intentionally inflammatory so likely just here to stir the pot. Hasn't posted since March so likely moved on to a new account, or just left.
I trusted my life with Boeing products for twenty years in the Air Force. I flew nothing but boeing products. That being said Boeing bought McDonnell-Douglas a few years ago (before the problems started). Boeing made the mistake of keeping many of the McDonnell-Douglas senior execs and they went from being a engineering firm to one more focused on profits.

While I agree a lot of the Boeing stories are just piling on the fat kid in the sand box, it is apparent, that there are problems at Boeing.

The planes I crewed were built by Boeing in the 60s. I would place more confidence in those aircraft today than would any they've produced in the recent years.
JayM
Rapier108 said:

JayM said:

IronFist said:

As surely as a segment of the population hates Elon Musk and say he is a danger (because in my view, he took Twitter away from them), the same types and perhaps the same people hate Boeing for whatever reason. On a particular YT current airline news channel in the comment section it is slug fest between airbus fans and a relative few supporters of Boeing. It's a sign of the times.
I keep saying to those fervently loyal Airbus fans, there is a very strong resemblance in all planes. A fuselage with wings underneath, engines and a horizontal and vertical stabilizer with control surfaces. All planes follow that format.

I did not noticed until after I posted how old the post was.
Rapier108
That's why I've said many times that when Boeing bought McDonnell Douglas, MCD took over Boeing. I knew it was going in a wrong direction when they did not promote Alan Mulally to be the next CEO of Boeing in either 2003 or 2005.

They definitely need to fix their problems, but the media, especially Fox News, tries to blame Boeing for every single event involving their aircraft, even when it is something like pilot error or an engine issue.

And then when people are shown it had nothing to do with Boeing, the very next response, if they haven't already done so, is to start drooling about "DEI."
Rapier108
Boeing vs. Airbus fanboys has been going on for the past 30 years.

It is why most aviation forums expressly prohibit threads on the topic. It would turn nastier than a pro-Trump thread on Democrat Underground.
agracer
AG
Rapier108 said:

JayM said:

IronFist said:

CNN, MSNBC, CBS, etc are all doing the same thing. Odd Fox News flex though...
techno-ag
AG
https://nypost.com/2024/06/14/us-news/southwest-flight-plunged-to-within-400-feet-of-ocean-off-hawaii-report/

Quote:

A Southwest Airlines flight came within just 400 feet of smashing into the ocean off the coast of Hawaii after aborting a landing due to weather conditions, according to a report.

On a flight in April, the Boeing 737 Max 8 suddenly plummeted several hundred feet in a matter of seconds before the flight crew was able to pull up at the last second to avoid a deadly crash, according to a memo Southwest sent to its pilots last week and obtained by Bloomberg.

No one was injured on the passenger flight, the airline said.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Rapier108
Weather + pilot error.

Nothing to do with it being a 737.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.