Saw My First Tesla Cyber Truck on the road today

18,474 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Raiderjay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It looks like a bad pinewood derby car.....
nortex97
AG
Ag with kids said:

Medaggie said:

The F150 bed comes in a 5.5ft, 6.5ft, and 8 ft bed. I don't see much 8 feet beds on the road so I assume that most get the 6.5ft bed.

The Cyber is rumored to be 6.5ft so similar to the typical F150 bed and bigger than the Rivian bed. The ford lightening bed is 5.5 ft.

I would say the bed will be long enough

This doesn't look like a standard 6.5' bed...
Holding to that roofline is so impractical it's absurd that made it off a concept sketch, let alone into production.
Rockdoc
AG
I'm sorry, but it just didn't have to be that ugly. It's like they don't want to sell too many.
bonfarr
AG
Rockdoc said:

I'm sorry, but it just didn't have to be that ugly. It's like they don't want to sell too many.

They have 2 million pre-orders so yeah that's what it looks like they were going for
one safe place
Raiderjay said:

It looks like a bad pinewood derby car.....
The more I looked at it, I thought it was an outdoor grill.
oh no
AG

Medaggie
The hate for anything Tesla is real and bordering unhealthy. All rumors says its about 6.5ft, pics of it next to a standard ford shows its similar but of course, everyone on here is an expert b/c they hung a bike in the back.

I mean, they have 2M reservations and even if they get 25% retention, its a 3+ year production wait. This truck will sell well b/c it can do what a truck does for most needs with decreased/cost of maintenance and Tech.

There are so many that drives their truck from home to the work site with little hauling. Its a no brainer.
Ag with kids
AG
Medaggie said:

The hate for anything Tesla is real and bordering unhealthy. All rumors says its about 6.5ft, pics of it next to a standard ford shows its similar but of course, everyone on here is an expert b/c they hung a bike in the back.

I mean, they have 2M reservations and even if they get 25% retention, its a 3+ year production wait. This truck will sell well b/c it can do what a truck does for most needs with decreased/cost of maintenance and Tech.

There are so many that drives their truck from home to the work site with little hauling. Its a no brainer.
The LOVE for anything Tesla is real and bordering unhealthy. At least for some people.

The F-150 has been the best selling vehicle in the US since 1985. (The Chevy Silverado has been #2 for 40 years).

But, this Cyber truck by Tesla is going to outsell it sometime soon...really???

You can like Tesla and EVs all you want but at least be realistic.

Unless it becomes ILLEGAL to buy an F-150 anytime soon, it's not going to be outsold by the Tesla truck.

TexasRebel
AG
You can't make physics illegal.

See: the war on drugs.
Ag with kids
AG
TexasRebel said:

You can't make physics illegal.

See: the war on drugs.
What if I DECLARE it illegal?

That's right.

Checkmate, physics!
hph6203
AG
Big believer in Tesla.

There's no way they sell nearly a million Cybertruck. Cybertruck isn't designed to be appealing to the mass market, it's designed to be unique/a conversation starter and attention grabber. It is supposed to be hideous to some and enticing to others. It's like a Plymouth Prowler. It's supposed to turn your head when you drive past it and get a reaction, good or bad.

What the Cybertruck does as a side benefit (for Tesla) is get the attention on electric vehicles and their capabilities. If 1 in 4 people like it and a conversation starts about it the other 3 people are going to get a better understanding of how EVs actually work and their overall capabilities, including acting as a battery back up for your home.
Teslag
AG
A million total or a million per year?
Ag with kids
AG
Teslag said:

A million total or a million per year?
I'm assuming it's per year since that's about what the F-150 sells...
Teslag
AG
Makes sense. I'm guessing it sells around 350k to 500k per year
hph6203
AG
Per year. Current stated target is 250k/yr. Have to realize that it's almost exclusively a North America based product, because it really isn't suitable for European roads, and making a right hand drive version just for Australia probably isn't in the near term cards (and Australia is a small market anyway).

Tesla's goal is to make vehicles until they no longer need to sell them. They're trying to create self driving cars and if they succeed in that they'll slow down their expansion of vehicle production and shift to becoming a supplier/software peddler to other auto manufacturers/operate a global ride share fleet through their compact Robotaxi and vans. I think they will eventually succeed in that pursuit, but how long it takes is anyone's guess. The next major release of FSD, V12, is supposed to be the "Alpha Zero" version of FSD with end to end training where the inputs and perception are all based upon training without any heuristics.
Ag with kids
AG
Teslag said:

Makes sense. I'm guessing it sells around 350k to 500k per year
That's about what the Ram sells...

The problem with selling lots of trucks, though, is that many truck owners are tribal.

Ford Truck people are NOT buying a Chevy or a Dodge...and they're damn sure not buying a Nissan or a Toyota. I don't think that a futuristic EV will somehow change their mentality...

Plus, IIRC, most truck sales are fleet/commercial sales. It will take a lot to shift many of them away from the Ford/Chevy/Dodge that they currently buy...partly due to the tribal issue, partly due charging issues (they can't necessarily do what most EV owners say to do - charge at night).

Not saying this can't change, but the tribal thing will be HARD to overcome.
Pizza
Medaggie
I said they could in 3-5 yrs. A very long time. Took Model Y 3-5 yrs to be be the best model world wide. I am sure looking back when they first came out, people thought this was more far fetched.

I like my Tesla for what it is. I am giving people a positive perspective and never anything unrealistic. I don't push it on people or tell on a soapbox that you have to buy it like the Hate crowd.

I think Tesla sells 250-500K/yr in 3-5 years. If they hit 500K, they will challenge the F150 b/c it will eat into their market share. Rivian, Lightening, and all the other Electric Trucks will too. That 900K will be cut in half.
hph6203
AG
I think it's mostly going to be tech enthusiasts that want an SUV/larger vehicle, rather than convincing an F-150 driver to give up their brand. Some of it will come from there, but it's mostly going to be city dwellers just looking for a vehicle they can go camping in/haul mulch with.

250k puts them somewhere between a Tacoma and a Sierra in terms of sales. 250k is the goal that Musk has set.
Ag with kids
AG
hph6203 said:

I think it's mostly going to be tech enthusiasts that want an SUV/larger vehicle, rather than convincing an F-150 driver to give up their brand. Some of it will come from there, but it's mostly going to be city dwellers just looking for a vehicle they can go camping in/haul mulch with.

250k puts them somewhere between a Tacoma and a Sierra in terms of sales.
That's about right if it hits that number. Maybe it will, but it will take awhile. The tech enthusiasts ARE enthusiastic. But...are there that many people that will jump from a car to the Cyber (tech enthusiasts probably aren't driving trucks)? It would be interesting to see the demographic data of the sales.

I DO find it interesting that, outside the big 4 trucks (Ford/Chevy/Ram/GMC), the top selling foreign truck isn't even a full sized truck - I would have thought the Tundra would be higher, but it doesn't break the Top 25.
hph6203
AG
Yeah, I think what's going to ultimately happen is that it's going to consistently go viral with all the unique ways that people use the easy access to onboard power. I think that even though there are going to be other vehicles that will have the same capability to build out those projects, the Cybertruck will garner the majority of the attention because it's Tesla and because it IS goofy looking and catches the eye whether because people think it's ugly or aggressive/cool looking.

Scrolling YouTube/Twitter/Instagram/TikTok/whatever people are going to see the Cybertruck and instantly know that's what it is. I think eventually that kind of thing is going to lessen the perception of it being a goofy/ugly vehicle to one more people appreciate for its uniqueness/functionality. With Rivian/Ford/Chevy/Dodge they're not going to get that same kind of instantaneous recognition because they're nice looking, but generic.

When they first revealed the Cybertruck my instant reaction was "Jesus Christ, they can't be serious." But within a couple of months it grew on me and I put in a pre-order.
zephyr88
AG

"Truck"

Looks like a car for a soap box derby.
lead
Quote:

When they first revealed the Cybertruck my instant reaction was "Jesus Christ, they can't be serious." But within a couple of months it grew on me and I put in a pre-order.

Why?
hph6203
AG
-Truck that can fulfill my needs,
-Drives like a sedan both in terms of acceleration and maneuverability/turning radius
-Unique look (the way it looks has grown on me), I don't particularly think there are many vehicles that are actually aesthetically appealing and I'll take interesting looking over bland.
-Technology built into it/ADAS
-Durability, not that I'm particularly concerned about scratches/dents but they would drop to a near non-existent concern due to lack of paint/steel panels.
-Minimal maintenance
-Lower operating costs
-Adaptability that would allow me to work from anywhere
-(Likely) ability that I can use it to provide emergency power to my house

I'll probably buy it (provided it doesn't turn out to be ungodly expensive), and keep it for 15+ years so I don't need to worry about whether anyone else likes it from a resale perspective. I've had my current truck for 10 years, will probably keep it for another 3-4 (depending on how long it takes for my pre-order to come up).
hph6203
AG
And most importantly so I can tell people that I'm doing my part to save the environment and/or that I'm doing my part to protect free speech to see if they can stop themselves from ranting about how stupid one or both of those statements are.
one safe place
hph6203 said:

-Unique look (the way it looks has grown on me), I don't particularly think there are many vehicles that are actually aesthetically appealing and I'll take interesting looking over bland.

Almost always, your first impression is correct. Others being "bland" and few being "aesthetically pleasing" are likely just a case of you rationalizing choosing the butt ugly look of the cyber truck. Even if you truly felt that way, there is nothing even close to being as awful looking as this truck. "Interesting looking" I don't think describes it.
lead
hph6203 said:

-Truck that can fulfill my needs,
-Drives like a sedan both in terms of acceleration and maneuverability/turning radius
-Technology built into it/ADAS
-Durability, not that I'm particularly concerned about scratches/dents but they would drop to a near non-existent concern due to lack of paint/steel panels.
-Minimal maintenance
-Lower operating costs
-Adaptability that would allow me to work from anywhere
-(Likely) ability that I can use it to provide emergency power to my house

I'll probably buy it (provided it doesn't turn out to be ungodly expensive), and keep it for 15+ years so I don't need to worry about whether anyone else likes it from a resale perspective. I've had my current truck for 10 years, will probably keep it for another 3-4 (depending on how long it takes for my pre-order to come up).

hph6203
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman
The first Cybertruck owners are gonna attract a huge amount of attention.

People running off the road trying to get a video of the cybertruck. People trying to get a selfie with the cybertruck.

You'll be the most high profile vehicle on the road.

Probably have cops stopping people unnecessarily just to get a look a tthe cybertruck.
Premium
AG
People are also interested in buying a Tesla but want a larger version than any they offer now. For that, the Cybertruck fits. Fully self driving you have no choice but to go Tesla. If you think they are all too small you are out. Now there is a choice for larger EV that's fully self driving.
jokershady
AG
The Fife said:

Tires that size look like they'll be a fortune to replace!
gotta be that size I'm sure the thing weighs at least 7,000 pounds probably more…..
lead
Quote:

Now there is a choice for larger EV that's fully self driving.

It's fully self driving?
ttu_85
Teslag said:

GAC06 said:

Might be worth buying just to trigger people like this

Especially when they try to keep up with one in their "deleted" diesel F250.

And can't.
Yep an F-250 diesel I had was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I'd take the Telsa over that junk any day. However an I had a '97 F-150 that only recently died with 300K miles. Awesome suburbia use truck.

These days I'd buy a well cared for Lexus over any of them. And no I dont buy new cars. Cant stand the idea of instant big time depreciation when I drive one off the lot. Plus, I like cars with renown reliability history.
ttu_85
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

People running off the road trying to get a video of the cybertruck. People trying to get a selfie with the cybertruck.

Probably have cops stopping people unnecessarily just to get a look a tthe cybertruck.
Then the novelty wears off and if it proves to be unreliable then those early buyers are gonna get screwed. However, If its a hit, those things will be worth a small fortune in 20 years. It like buying an IPO, you just dont know.
GenericAggie
AG
ttu_85 said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Then the novelty wears off and if it proves to be unreliable then those early buyers are gonna get screwed. However, If its a hit, those things will be worth a small fortune in 20 years. It like buying an IPO, you just dont know.

Are teslas unreliable?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.