Saw My First Tesla Cyber Truck on the road today

18,620 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
TexasAGGIEinAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bonfarr said:

Tesla Cyber Truck blew past me on I-35 in New Braunfels this morning, the first one I have seen on the road. At first I didn't know what I was looking at because it is so alien looking. I thought only two were in existence and that must be Elon rocketing past me but I looked it up and apparently the first deliveries are happening this month so not Elon.

I am still mixed on my feelings on the styling, at first glance I think no way but the more I looked at it I thought the thing was pretty badass.

I think you meant to say that you saw the male Tesla truck driver blowing someone on I-35.
bonfarr
AG
Whoa you seem so masculine and cool for saying that.
Premium
AG
I've always liked Delorean / Back to the Future, so I think of the CT as the updated version of that, but actually very advanced compared to other cars of today.
Teslag
AG
bonfarr said:

Whoa you seem so masculine and cool for saying that.

I bet he has a really bad ass pair of white framed oakleys on the dash of his F250
Medaggie
TexasAGGIEinAR said:

bonfarr said:

Tesla Cyber Truck blew past me on I-35 in New Braunfels this morning, the first one I have seen on the road. At first I didn't know what I was looking at because it is so alien looking. I thought only two were in existence and that must be Elon rocketing past me but I looked it up and apparently the first deliveries are happening this month so not Elon.

I am still mixed on my feelings on the styling, at first glance I think no way but the more I looked at it I thought the thing was pretty badass.

I think you meant to say that you saw the male Tesla truck driver blowing someone on I-35.
I wonder why some get so angry when it comes to Tesla. Is it that you can't afford one? Is it you hate gov interference, which is selective b/c they regulate everything even ICE cars? Is it you work in the ICE/Gas industry and know you may not have a job in 10 yrs? Are you with UAW and know you just killed the industry with the new wages?

Just odd to me how angry some can be and not pause before they hit the send button.

I am straight male conservative who appreciates the Tech, torque, acceleration with extra utility with a full sized truck bed. Its that simple
IslanderAg04
Teslag said:

nortex97 said:

Did it have a little bumper sticker on it in red with little yellow stars?

Telsas are the most american made vehicle on the road.

If only i had a dollar for every time you said that.
TexasRebel
AG
It's that they're using the general public as beta testers unwillingly when life is at risk.
hph6203
AG
Medaggie
TexasRebel said:

It's that they're using the general public as beta testers unwillingly when life is at risk.
I think I know where you are coming from but can you explain this?

I have FSD and like everything else, you have to be responsibly use it. It is like saying Guns kills when we know it has nothing to do with the actual gun. Atleast with FSD, when you don't pay attention or take your hands off the wheel, it beeps at you then eventually turns it off.

I bet you didn't realize that if you take your hands off/not pay attention on the road, it will give you a strike if you do not correct this. After 3 strikes you lose FSD for awhile. I suspect if you continue to abuse it, they will take it away indefinitely.

My Wife's Odyssey has an archaic lane assist which pose just as much risk as the Tesla.
Medaggie
People who have never used FSD and just listen to the media is just as misinformed as those who listen to the anti gun lobby.

Tesla is so close to if not better than the average driver. I am sure from my experience than Tesla FSD on the highway would reduce highway fatalities.

I had a friend with a Tesla that did not have FSD activated diring 60 on the highway in the dark when a deer ran in front causing him to run through it. Looking back at the camera footage, you can see the deer run through the highway, but in no way can a human see it then react in time to not hit it. I bet the FSD would have reacted quicker in almost all instances and definitely better than all the visually impaired distracted drivers all around.

I have no idea the scientific basis to this tweet but 15x safer than the average driver says alot.

Waymo and Cruise will never be adopted. They are using old tech to try and solve a complex problem. Tesla is using AI to solve it.

AI will always be the best solution. AI is better at playing chess, poker, trivia, etc. Name a game of skill that AI can't not beat. Tesla AI FSD will be better than the best driver in almost all situations.
Seven Costanza
AG
Quote:

I bet the Cyber will follow the same demand curve as the Model Y. The same was said about the Model Y when it first came out and 3-4 yrs later is the best selling car in the world.
I googled this out of curiosity and found this: https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry-news/a44600661/is-tesla-model-y-the-worlds-best-selling-car-nope-not-even-close/

Quote:

Problem is, on all the charts we could find from Tesla as well as from fawning electric-vehicle sites reporting on them, the company groups Model Y production and sales with Model 3 production and sales. Tesla delivered 412,180 Models 3/Y globally in the first quarter, and we can't find the breakout among the two.

We reached out to Toyota for Corolla numbers, and the automaker reports it sold 740,561 Corollas worldwide in the first quarter of this year, counting all versions including the Cross. That's about 75% more than Tesla, even if you count the Model 3 in with the Model Y. Sorry, Elon, not even close.
Other sites do list it as the best-selling model. This is just one article.
hph6203
AG
It is the best selling individual model vehicle. What Toyota is doing when they say they sold 750,000 vehicles is claiming that every vehicle with Corolla branding is a Corolla, even if they are built into a different vehicle segment. They are including their Corolla Cross (Crossover SUV), Hatchback, Wagon, and compact sedan in those figures. If you look at those vehicles you wouldn't say they were the same model.

They're built on the same platform, but that's like saying a F-150 and Expedition are the same vehicle.

Model Y is the best selling single model in the world. The only variation in the Model Y category is battery size and the motors. Same platform, same body.
Seven Costanza
AG
It seems misleading on both ends. Toyota is grouping all vehicles with the word "Corolla" together and Tesla is grouping the Model 3 and Y together? I don't actually care - it's just purely out of curiosity.
hph6203
AG
Tesla reports their Model Y and Model 3 sales together in their production and delivery report, but it's fairly well known that around 70% of that are Model Y's (estimated through public vehicle registration data). The author of that article is either lazy and did very little research or they are intentionally being deceptive.

I imagine there are pay for market reports that provide actual or very close to actual data, but I'm not 100% on that.
Seven Costanza
AG
It's likely clickbait so people will share it on forums and other social media.
TexasRebel
AG
Medaggie said:

TexasRebel said:

I have FSD and like everything else, you have to be responsibly use it. It is like saying Guns kills when we know it has nothing to do with the actual gun. Atleast with FSD, when you don't pay attention or take your hands off the wheel, it beeps at you then eventually turns it off.

I bet you didn't realize that if you take your hands off/not pay attention on the road, it will give you a strike if you do not correct this. After 3 strikes you lose FSD for awhile. I suspect if you continue to abuse it, they will take it away indefinitely.

My Wife's Odyssey has an archaic lane assist which pose just as much risk as the Tesla.

By naming a system that is not in any way fully self driving, "Full Self Driving" they are inviting people to misuse their product.
Ag with kids
AG
Medaggie said:

Trust me I understand why the Mercedes is level 3 and Tesla is level 2 but you will never be convinced that Mercedes is nothing compared to Tesla because you sit on top of your high all might soapbox of expertise.

I guess my personal experience just completely is meaningless
I made ZERO comment on whether one was better or worse.

I was talking about the incorrect discussion on the levels of automation on here.

I don't care if Mercedes at Level 3 sucks and Tesla at Level 2 is awesome. But, the Mercedes is operating at a higher level of automation regardless. That level of automation has to do with the FUNCTIONALITY that is engaged - not the subjective quality of how much anyone likes that functionality. And that level DOES NOT have to do with any liability that the operator may incur during operation.

Your personal experience is certainly worth something, though. You can have 2 vehicles both operating at the same level and say that subjectively one sucks worse than the other (we've been doing that with cars since inception - Mustang is better/worse than Camaro, etc). You just can't say that the one you like is working like it's at a higher level of automation when it isn't.
Teslag
AG
IslanderAg04 said:

Teslag said:

nortex97 said:

Did it have a little bumper sticker on it in red with little yellow stars?

Telsas are the most american made vehicle on the road.

If only i had a dollar for every time you said that.

Apparently people need reminding
TexasAggie_02
AG
TexasRebel said:

Medaggie said:

TexasRebel said:

By naming a system that is not in any way fully self driving, "Full Self Driving" they are inviting people to misuse their product.

You misunderstood. It's "full of yourself" driving. Anyone who buys one is full of themselves.

Ag with kids
AG
hph6203 said:

You can ignore them. I don't care at this point. A lot of it is misunderstanding in terminology usage. I don't care about the levels, because they are not important to the consumer experience which is what I am primarily concerned about. I will admit to using imprecise language that contributed to misunderstandings. Tesla operates at level 2.

The only point I was trying to make was that FSD operates in more environments and can recognize more aspects of driving than Drive Pilot, and that they require the driver to pay attention because telling a driver they don't have to increases exposure to lawsuits and damages. They have demonstrated that the attentiveness requirement, generally, shields them from those lawsuits, removing the attention may remove that shield.
I will agree it is a misunderstanding. You misunderstood what the levels meant and what they describe and then you incorrectly used them in your explanations. You should refrain from using anything to do with the levels if you don't really know what they entail. Otherwise, you are giving posters here, and likely people IRL, incorrect information.

Your second paragraph is another example of you being wrong about this. They do not require them to pay attention "because telling a driver they don't have to increases exposure to lawsuits and damages". When the vehicle is operating at Level 2 (whether with FSD or DrivePilot), the vehicle and its ADS are operating at a level that REQUIRES the "driver" to actively supervise the operation of the vehicle - as in, if they do NOT supervise the operation, the vehicle may not be able to operate correctly IN NORMAL OPERATION. This is not due to LIABILITY, but because of the functionality of the ADS.
Ag with kids
AG
TexasRebel said:

Medaggie said:

TexasRebel said:

This could be true. By naming it that, but operating at a level that REQUIRES operator interaction, it could confuse the operator.

It's obviously confused several posters on here as to what the functionality is.
hph6203
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman
Next we'll see people posting video from cybertruck's security cameras of people trying to mess with the cybertruck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.