Question for Non Mexicans who celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

12,237 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ocho Ag said:

drinking tequila or mexican beer is fine, its when anglo americans dress up in sombreros, fake mustaches, serape and other stereotypes its insulting. you do that in my neighborhood and you get shot
Then your barrio is a ****ty barrio and any condoning of such actions makes you no better than the chollos that would do the shooting.
Tanya 93
GeorgiAg said:

schmellba99 said:

Ocho Ag said:

Why do you celebrate it? Its not even a major holiday in Mexico.
Same reason non Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Or non French-Creole, non Catholics celebrate Mardi Gras.

Or non Americans domestically celebrate 4th of July.

Or non-veterans celebrate Veteran's Day.

Or how Memorial Day weekend is pretty much not about memorializing those that died for our freedoms.

Seriously....what is the point of this question at all?
I celebrate Arbor Day, but that's only because I identify as a tree!

Okay Stanford.

Is your last name Pines?
Daddy-O5
AG
Saltwater Assassin said:

Ocho Ag said:

I own a construction company

We are affectively shut down that day

Might as well celebrate with my guys
I worked for a general contractor while in school. The crane operator and I were the only gringos with 3-4 Mexicans rounding out our relatively small crew. Job site was outside Houston, a couple of hours away for most of the crew, so the company had an apartment they'd put everyone up in for the occasional extremely long day or when there was a really early start for a concrete pour the next morning.

There was the occasional night where after work we'd just hang out in the job trailer and pound beers. Cinco de mayo we switched to Mexican beers and celebrated whatever it was we were celebrating (I don't think any of us really knew). No one cared and we'd usually spend the evening insulting each other in ways that would earn you a trip to HR and fired at most places. Gringos were outnumbered and took a pretty good beating in two languages on a regular basis. I miss those days.
Tanya 93
I have thousands of dollars in catering that day.

***Happy Dance***

I would wear a sombrero if it is pink. With glitter.
IIIHorn

Arbor Day is a poplar event.

Urban Ag
AG
Saltwater Assassin said:

Ocho Ag said:

You may remember this cause, you know, I used to be your obnoxious neighbor.

Anyway, my wife is Mexican (American) and our two sons were born with blonde hair and blue eyes and fair skinned, just like their daddy. Was a joke in our friends and family circles that my wife may not even be their mom. So one year my wife created an alter ego for our younger son we called "Mustachio". Kid was 3 or 4 and she'd put this big, fake, Mexican looking mustache on him, with a little poncho and sombrero. Then she'd tell her friends "look, my kid really is on Team Brown". Mustachio would appear from time to time for years. Usually out of the blue and without warning. The kid loved it.
GeorgiAg
AG
Urban Ag said:

Saltwater Assassin said:

Ocho Ag said:

You may remember this cause, you know, I used to be your obnoxious neighbor.

Anyway, my wife is Mexican (American) and our two sons were born with blonde hair and blue eyes and fair skinned, just like their daddy. Was a joke in our friends and family circles that my wife may not even be their mom. So one year my wife created an alter ego for our younger son we called "Mustachio". Kid was 3 or 4 and she'd put this big, fake, Mexican looking mustache on him, with a little poncho and sombrero. Then she'd tell her friends "look, my kid really is on Team Brown". Mustachio would appear from time for years. Usually out of the blue and without warning. The kid loved it.
In a world where other parents are chopping off Ds, I support this as good parenting.
carl spacklers hat
Ocho Ag said:

Because us honkies are totally down for cultural appropriation so long as it includes tasty food and alcohol. HTH
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
93MarineHorn
Quote:

Quote:

Ocho Ag said:
Because us honkies are totally down for cultural appropriation so long as it includes tasty food and alcohol. HTH

I know you're just messing with the OP, but I reject the entire premise of cultural appropriation. Hispanics don't lose any culture if white people are wearing sombreros, drinking margs and eating tacos. Nothing has been appropriated. I could understand if an Hispanic person was offended by some obnoxious, rude gringo in a poncho singing "La Cucaracha" in a manner that was intentionally insulting. But that is not the vibe of every Cinco de Mayo party I've ever attended.

I would think that most Hispanics would take pride in the fact the EVERYONE loves their food and associates it with having a great time.
Matt Hooper
AG
It's fun.
Great time of year to be outside on a patio in Texas.

No need to over think it.
Hooper Drives the Boat
Jock 07
AG
Ocho Ag said:

drinking tequila or mexican beer is fine, its when anglo americans dress up in sombreros, fake mustaches, serape and other stereotypes its insulting. you do that in my neighborhood and you get shot

Parliamentary inquiry: do you people get this butthurt when non whites dress up in sombreros, fake mustaches, serape or is it only when whitey does it?
I'll hang up and listen, thanks.
Dimebag Darrell
Ocho Ag said:

LOL, stfu. I grew up in the barrio and the only people who care about this nonsense are flaming effeminate liberal male feminists who ain't shootin sh**.
vette
AG
because it's my birthday
Urban Ag
AG
It's been my experience that the vast majority of Latinos, whether Mexican, Cuban, or PR's, love to open up the party to whoever wants to participate. It's truly one of the greatest aspects on the culture. Easting, drinking, music, dancing, they see it all as being meant to be shared with everyone. And they literally throw the best parties, events, pechangas, fiestas, whatever you want to call it.
carl spacklers hat
93MarineHorn said:

Quote:

Quote:

Ocho Ag said:

I know you're just messing with the OP, but I reject the entire premise of cultural appropriation. Hispanics don't lose any culture if white people are wearing sombreros, drinking margs and eating tacos. Nothing has been appropriated. I could understand if an Hispanic person was offended by some obnoxious, rude gringo in a poncho singing "La Cucaracha" in a manner that was intentionally insulting. But that is not the vibe of every Cinco de Mayo party I've ever attended.

I would think that most Hispanics would take pride in the fact the EVERYONE loves their food and associates it with having a great time.
Yeah, I was trying to come up with a statement as ludicrous as the OP's question.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
carl spacklers hat
What about the rest of the Latinos? Or are there just Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican Latinos? TIA
Urban Ag
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

What about the rest of the Latinos? Or are there just Mexican, Cuban and Puerto Rican Latinos? TIA
I'd say those three make up 90% of Latinos in the US, wouldn't you?
TxTarpon
Ocho Ag said:

Beer and beeches
93MarineHorn
Quote:

It's been my experience that the vast majority of Latinos, whether Mexican, Cuban, or PR's, love to open up the party to whoever wants to participate. It's truly one of the greatest aspects on the culture. Easting, drinking, music, dancing, they see it all as being meant to be shared with everyone. And they literally throw the best parties, events, pechangas, fiestas, whatever you want to call it.

This has always been my experience with Latinos and parties.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Ocho Ag said:

look at your post, im flagging you and others who keep calling me that
Changing the name of this sock doesn't make it any less of a hedge sock.
Staff - take out the trash.
TXAG 05
AG
Microwave Onions said:

A little perspective from searching the Newspapers.com archive collection for the term "Cinco de Mayo":

That first spike is 1989, coinciding with chain restaurants jumping on the fajitas & margs craze.

The beverage industry and chain restaurants wanted a Mexican St. Patrick's Day to capitalize on, and they chose Cinco de Mayo. Is there another Mexican holiday that would have been better?

Dieciseis de Septiembre. But Cinco de Mayo rhymes and is a lot easier to say.

The best is when Cinco and Kentucky Derby line up.
Tramp96
Ocho Ag said:

Discounted tacos and margaritas.
MooreTrucker
AG
Well, it's my birthday, so......

Cinco de ME-o
carl spacklers hat
Urban Ag said:

carl spacklers hat said:

I'd say those three make up 90% of Latinos in the US, wouldn't you?

73.6% in 2021, according to Pew.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Ocho Ag said:

Majority people I know who arent Irish dont celebrate it at all

Yeah…I'm sure you've got lots of friends.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
Did this sock change their name in the middle of this thread? lol…
schmellba99
AG
TxTarpon said:

Ocho Ag said:

Beer and beeches

2, 3, 1, 4
carl spacklers hat
schmellba99 said:

TxTarpon said:

Ocho Ag said:

Beer and beeches

2, 3, 1, 4
1, 1, 1, 1, FIFY
2040huck
Ocho Ag said:

Go away man. It's another excuse to party, just like Christmas and Halloween
BQ_90
AG
C@LAg said:

Costco is racist.

wtf is dice lifter meat
93MarineHorn
Quote:

1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1.0

Far right is above 5' 3" so she "wins"
C@LAg
BQ_90 said:

C@LAg said:

Costco is racist.

wtf is dice lifter meat

Thin muscles removed from the outside of the rib; also called cap and wedge meat. Often referred to as Lifter Meat or Cap and Wedge Meat.

good for tacos
Jsimonds58
AG
Did you seriously change your name already? Lmao
C@LAg
Jsimonds58 said:

hahahaha
BQ_90
AG
Jsimonds58 said:

hedge is mentally fragile, has to change usernames over and over

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.