Question for Non Mexicans who celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

12,245 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
Hearne_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly, just another excuse to party and drink... I'm all in.
ballchain
BarKeep_03
AG
ballchain said:

I said gracias at a Mexican restaurant the other day. Should I be ashamed?
BonfireNerd04
I'm sure you've heard of "Hallmark holidays", which exist as excuses for businesses to sell gifts and greeting cards.

Well, there are also "booze holidays", hyped up by the beer and liquor industries as an excuse to get people to drink. Cinco de Mayo is in this category, along with St. Patrick's Day and New Year's Eve.
CoachtobeNamed$$$
Ocho Ag said:

Franklin Comes Alive! said:

Drinking margs & posting on Texags about hedge still living with his parents as a adult
stop calling me "hedge", im not that poster. knock it off
Prove that you don't live with your parents!
MaroonStain
AG
Only flocks that care about muh cultural appropriation on May 5 are non-hispanic radlibs.
Tone2002
I also love Taco Tuesday as well.
mandevilleag
I worked in a research lab back in the late '80's and the director of the lab threw some awesome parties for pretty much anything. I remember one year we had a cinco de mayo party and we got good and liquored up on tequila. He dressed up as el general zaragoza and lined all the men up on one side of his property as the townfolk of Puebla and all the women on the other side as the French. Then he led the charge and we chased the ladies around the yard with pool noodles. Fun times. He'd probably be fired now. What a shame.
Urban Ag
AG
mandevilleag said:

I worked in a research lab back in the late '80's and the director of the lab threw some awesome parties for pretty much anything. I remember one year we had a cinco de mayo party and we got good and liquored up on tequila. He dressed up as el general zaragoza and lined all the men up on one side of his property as the townfolk of Puebla and all the women on the other side as the French. Then he led the charge and we chased the ladies around the yard with pool noodles. Fun times. He'd probably be fired now. What a shame.
Dear god that sounds like fun
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It's fun.
mccjames
AG
Ocho Ag said:

Majority people I know who arent Irish dont celebrate it at all
They don't tell you because you are no fun!
Easy come, Easy go
BigRobSA
Ocho Ag said:

You dont need a reason to have a margarita, why pretend to give a damn about a holiday that has zero relation to Americans?

Now do juneteenth everywhere not Galveston.

Us browns give zero Fs about May5.
"The Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution was never designed to restrain the people. It was designed to restrain the government."
TyHolden
AG
I love these threads EVERY YEAR

Stay thirsty my friends…
southernboy1
AG
The people I know don't celebrate the day. I've asked them if they know what it's about, and they don't even know. The schools push it down here and not even 2 March.
kb2001
AG
Ocho Ag said:

drinking tequila or mexican beer is fine, its when anglo americans dress up in sombreros, fake mustaches, serape and other stereotypes its insulting. you do that in my neighborhood and you get shot
Sounds like you live in a crappy neighborhood. If you think wearing a hat is cause for murder you need help.

Hedge or not, your post is on the same level of idiocy as that clown, so you got that going for you
deddog
AG
Ocho Ag said:

Why do you celebrate it? Its not even a major holiday in Mexico.
i bet you're fun at parties
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
A little perspective from searching the Newspapers.com archive collection for the term "Cinco de Mayo":

That first spike is 1989, coinciding with chain restaurants jumping on the fajitas & margs craze.

The beverage industry and chain restaurants wanted a Mexican St. Patrick's Day to capitalize on, and they chose Cinco de Mayo. Is there another Mexican holiday that would have been better?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The first English language article I can find, from President McKinley's railroad trip across the continent:

Buck Turgidson
You know at our favorite Mexican restaurant, the Mexican staff members come put a sombrero on your head on your birthday. The customers are about 90% white. I bet liberals get all worked up about that.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but I do use it as an opportunity to celebrate.
C@LAg
Tubbo de Mayo

munch96
AG

What's interesting is the fact that the US's role in the Maximillian Affair fostered such good relations that there was some talk about Mexico and the US joining governments…. But that was short lived…
Cromagnum
AG
Damn. It didn't even take 1 page for all the heathens to turn a thread about drinking beer and margaritas ugly.
Jsimonds58
AG
Okay hedge
2NU
Ocho Ag said:

drinking tequila or mexican beer is fine, its when anglo americans dress up in sombreros, fake mustaches, serape and other stereotypes its insulting. you do that in my neighborhood and you get shot
Hello, Ocho Ag. I've never dressed up in a sombrero, fake mustache, serape or other stereotype. But I hear you when you say it's insulting and that in your neighborhood, the poser would be shot.
I believe this is exactly why biological women feel insulted when biological men dress up in makeup, dresses, and engage in other female stereotypes.
We got rid on the Frito-Lay bandito - when do we stop the insulting advertising/acceptance for other stereotypes?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Eagerly awaiting the next thread about normal people celebrating May 4th and the Star Wars dorks wetting their stormtrooper suits.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Jsimonds58
AG
Opportunity to get drunk + Mexican food what's not to like?
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Both my kids married half Hispanics so I can celebrate Drinko de Mayo without any white guilt. Getting my serape from the dry cleaners on Wednesday, what neighborhood are we talking about gathering in?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
FIDO95
AG
Ocho Ag said:

What an absolutely horrible take. I really try to not call out individuals on the internet boards but I just can't let this go. You are the problem in this country. What has made this country work is that is has historically been a melting pot where anyone can be an "American". This constant splintering of individuals into intersectional groups each competing for a greater percentage of victimhood is nonproductive at best and toxic to society as a whole at worst. I suspect your starting the post was simply to take some pseudo-moralistic position from which to attempt to exert power over others by pretending to be offended so you can fill some void in your life. Get a dog.

So for whatever is worth, from an AMERICAN who happens to have a Hispanic surname, speaks fluent Spanish, and still visits/has family in Mexico, every AMERICAN should feel free to drink up, dress up, and celebrate CInco de Mayo as you see fit because you are blessed to live in a free nation. But truth be told, you don't need my permission.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
C@LAg
Costco is racist.

IIIHorn

To make fun of the French.

Saltwater Assassin
AG
Ocho Ag said:

I own a construction company

We are affectively shut down that day

Might as well celebrate with my guys
Do right and bear the consequences. -Sam Houston
schmellba99
AG
Ocho Ag said:

Same reason non Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Or non French-Creole, non Catholics celebrate Mardi Gras.

Or non Americans domestically celebrate 4th of July.

Or non-veterans celebrate Veteran's Day.

Or how Memorial Day weekend is pretty much not about memorializing those that died for our freedoms.

Seriously....what is the point of this question at all?
GeorgiAg
AG
schmellba99 said:

Ocho Ag said:

Same reason non Irish celebrate St. Patrick's day.

Or non French-Creole, non Catholics celebrate Mardi Gras.

Or non Americans domestically celebrate 4th of July.

Or non-veterans celebrate Veteran's Day.

Or how Memorial Day weekend is pretty much not about memorializing those that died for our freedoms.

Seriously....what is the point of this question at all?
I celebrate Arbor Day, but that's only because I identify as a tree!
Dimebag Darrell
Ocho Ag said:

Majority people I know who arent Irish dont celebrate it at all
LOL...ever been to Houston? Go out on a St Patty's Day wknd...you'll see tons of latino's celebrating it, along with everyone else. Just a reason to party. Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday isn't just limited to a certain group either.

What a weird thread and silly thing to be sensitive about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.