Dallas/Ft Worth Area 3rd Airport

15,478 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FriendlyAg
Bubblez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
maroonthrunthru said:

Live in McKinney… Boon Effen Doggle…

Get someone else to pay for it…

That is not the way the American version of capitalism works. Handouts and tax breaks is how this game is played
txyaloo
AG
DamnGood86 said:

Sounds like it will be akin to Killeen Airport. I live in Burnet County and love to go out of Killeen. No traffic, easy parking, no crowds. The big downside is virtually every flight requires a connection.
GRK was great until all the airlines pulled out. You're stuck with American now unless you want to fly to a hub and change carriers from there. I'll just drive to Austin and fly my preferred carrier at that point.
Canyon99
AG
Quote:

The airport will attract passengers well beyond Collin County such as Southern Oklahoma…

I thought Collin County was southern OK?
EX TEXASEX
To park so close to the terminal entrance and to walk right in and pick up somebody, or to leave on a trip is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth !!!!!

fc2112
EX TEXASEX said:

To park so close to the terminal entrance and to walk right in and pick up somebody, or to leave on a trip is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth !!!!!

Yellerjacket
God, this would be awesome. I have to drive to DFW quite often from Sherman. It's honestly not that bad jumping on 121 and shooting right down, but this would be even "not badder".
nortex97
AG
Hopefully an airline that doesn't really service DFW a lot like Delta or United will set up some trunk line service with regional sized aircraft (CRJ's etc) to places like Atlanta/various SE spots we might also have SEC events to see. You have to take your life into your own hands just to venture into Dallas now if using Love Field.
CrockerCock00
AG
Only reason for American to be on board is to take slots away from other airlines to maintain DFW market dominance. Much like they did with DAL (pre-US Air merger), I expect they'll rent out those slots to whoever they feel won't be as much of a direct competitor, or would help their connections.

As to the airport, looks a lot like Easterwood.
twk
AG
Seems like the places that have 3 or more commercial airports have horrible traffic (LA, NY) or natural obstacles (SF bay, and NY and LA, to an extent) that make getting from one side of town to the other a huge obstacle. It's just not that difficult to get from Collin County to DFW, so that doesn't auger well towards the success of this venture. Seems to me that the only way it would work was if you had a major airline that wanted to decrease operations at DFW, but still serve the market. Unless Delta or United decided to emphasize this as a DFW alternative, I just don't see it working out all that well. As busy as DFW is, it's significantly behind ATL, and Atlanta doesn't even have a second airport, much less a third.
2wealfth Man
AG
80sGeorge said:

Love is maxed on daily flights allowed. There's way more population and business growth in the NE metroplex than in the west. I may be wrong but Meacham worked fine but as a commercial airport it was sacrificed to DFW.
two massive chip plants are being built in Sherman as I write this; continued growth up that corridor is inevitable. I think there is a plan for the new 380 freeway (or at least a spur off of it) to serve this airport.
fc2112
If Fort Worth, the 16th largest city in the U.S., cannot support a 3rd airport, why does one think McKinney can?
LegalDrugPusher
aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Terrible idea. Any new airport should be in Sherman.

Lol I'm sure

So smug. Commercial aircraft landing over established neighborhoods will not only bring noise pollution and congestion but transients and crime. It will tank home values in neighboring Fairview and Lucas. It's a terrible idea. But you've got it all figured out.

Where did I say I have it figured out ? I'm just saying Sherman Texas will not be having a commercial airport. Think about that Sherman Texas is having a commercial airport. There's no demand. Why not just if that's the case then let's put one in Madisonville.

Comparing Collin county, Texas to Sherman, Texas is apples to oranges
LegalDrugPusher
fc2112 said:

If Fort Worth, the 16th largest city in the U.S., cannot support a 3rd airport, why does one think McKinney can?

It's not about McKinney it's about the whole entire region, Collin county and the outer areas
nortex97
AG
I think he's just panicking a bit, as is his wont.
Pinochet
GAC06 said:

Likely very little or none. The airport is there. Depending on the exact plan perhaps a hangar or two look like they'd have to go but I don't know if those are owned or leased.

The last master plan contemplated taking all that land inside the gravel pit that was what students used as the downwind marker. They had originally planned to use the old runway and add a parallel, but they couldn't get enough land to the east to separate them into 2 runways. Instead they just turned the old 18-36 into a taxiway and added a wider 18-36. That place is a cluster **** of management to begin with. I'm sure they'll take all the land for giant parking lots for an airport that can't support their grand plan.
Ag with kids
AG
GAC06 said:

aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Lol I'm sure

So smug. Commercial aircraft landing over established neighborhoods will not only bring noise pollution and congestion but transients and crime. It will tank home values in neighboring Fairview and Lucas. It's a terrible idea. But you've got it all figured out.

There's actually very little directly north or south of that airport where planes will be low to the ground.
And there won't be a TON of traffic.

I just asked our ASO (who used to work at CRP) what the traffic was at CRP and he said it's about 300 operations a day - and that's at CRP.

McKinney would be a fraction of that for AT LEAST a decade...and probably wouldn't get that high...
aggiepanic95
AG
LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Lol I'm sure

Where did I say I have it figured out ? I'm just saying Sherman Texas will not be having a commercial airport. Think about that Sherman Texas is having a commercial airport. There's no demand. Why not just if that's the case then let's put one in Madisonville.

No demand? TI has a MASSIVE facility going in there right now.

https://www.ti.com/about-ti/company/ti-at-a-glance/manufacturing/sherman.html

Sherman is in the early sprawl phase meaning civil development decisions can be made thoughtfully as opposed to impacting existing infrastructure. Additionally, it is only 30 minutes north of McKinney. Its a no brainer.

McKinney looks to the west and sees how Frisco capitalized on their development decisions. Truth is that years ago McKinney leadership eff'd up and is now trying to right a wrong by grabbing tax dollars anyway possible at the expense of their citizens and the county in general.

Taking TKI commercial is a short sided decision; a terrible one.

VOTE NO!
LegalDrugPusher
fc2112 said:

Collin County is bigger than the city of FW. FW has 935,000 as of 2021 and Collin County is at 1.1 million and estimated by 2025 to be 1.3 million.

With so much business now in Collin County or coming soon and the Frisco part of Denton County which is practically Collin County for all intents and purposes this area is way more attractive than FW.

With Toyota HQ, State Farm, Globe Life, Cowboys HQ, Frisco Rough Riders, FC Dallas, Universal Studios and the PGA HQ soon coming as well as the Byron Nelson now in McKinney all of this brings the demand for this airport to become commercial.
LegalDrugPusher
I can live peacefully if it doesn't pass. But I'm voting yes.

But if it doesn't pass it will be ok no problem at all
cslifer
Have any airlines actually committed or is this a "I heard from a good source" type thing? As previous posters have said, building and hoping they show up has historically turned out terribly for airports (especially smaller ones).
LegalDrugPusher
The growth of Sherman is more reason why the McKinney airport will succeed. There is much more growth in Collin County than Sherman alone.
LegalDrugPusher
cslifer said:

Have any airlines actually committed or is this a "I heard from a good source" type thing? As previous posters have said, building and hoping they show up has historically turned out terribly for airports (especially smaller ones).

According to McKinney Mayor George Fuller there has. He and I have had our fair share of rounds with each other about other issues but I'm not going to be against this just because of our past.

Fuller is a very popular mayor. When he gets behind something the city (voters) will do it.
nortex97
AG
Yes but I think the spread/metastasis up to/past the Red River shows no signs of slowing down. In Oklahoma as far up as Durant/Atoka they've been lamenting the encroachment of so many DFW transplants/traffic/property values (increasing taxes) for over a decade.
nortex97
AG
These guys had a deal for some Aggie football games at Kyle for around $300 a person I think, out of Love Field. Now, if I could just coast over to McKinney and avoid even going to LUV I would definitely do so. Avoids the overnight, risk for inebriated drivers etc.

https://www.jsx.com/home/search
2wealfth Man
AG
Here is the article about the proposed Spur 399 alignments to serve the airport. This would tie in to 380 north of the airport

https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/mckinney/transportation/2021/10/29/txdot-proposes-2-alignments-for-spur-399-extension-in-mckinney/
Ag CPA
AG
Doubt this ever comes to fruition.
AggiePetro07
AG
aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

aggiepanic95 said:

Lol I'm sure

No demand? TI has a MASSIVE facility going in there right now.

https://www.ti.com/about-ti/company/ti-at-a-glance/manufacturing/sherman.html

Sherman is in the early sprawl phase meaning civil development decisions can be made thoughtfully as opposed to impacting existing infrastructure. Additionally, it is only 30 minutes north of McKinney. Its a no brainer.

McKinney looks to the west and sees how Frisco capitalized on their development decisions. Truth is that years ago McKinney leadership eff'd up and is now trying to right a wrong by grabbing tax dollars anyway possible at the expense of their citizens and the county in general.

Taking TKI commercial is a short sided decision; a terrible one.

VOTE NO!
Correct. McKinney has felt left out of the Frisco boom and is willing to "win" an airport. I don't want to live near an airport.
Bubblez
Given the low frequencies to a limited set of non-stop destinations, a quick trip down 121 will win out just about every time.
YouBet
AG
Bubblez said:

maroonthrunthru said:

Live in McKinney… Boon Effen Doggle…

Get someone else to pay for it…

That is not the way the American version of capitalism works. Handouts and tax breaks is how this game is played
Your game would have the government own everything top down and we would have Aeroflot as our only option.
riverrataggie
AG
Bubblez said:

Given the low frequencies to a limited set of non-stop destinations, a quick trip down 121 will win out just about every time.

Agreed. I looked up time to travel from dfw to McKinney this afternoon during rush hour. It was 45 min.

This is a huge waste of money.
bthotugigem05
AG
American Airlines is about to invest probably close to $1 billion at DFW Airport for new gates at Terminal A and C, the gradual total renovation of Terminal C, and eventually the construction of Terminal F.

They will have a very vested interest in shutting this plan down.
fc2112
LegalDrugPusher said:

fc2112 said:

Collin County is bigger than the city of FW. FW has 935,000 as of 2021 and Collin County is at 1.1 million and estimated by 2025 to be 1.3 million.

With so much business now in Collin County or coming soon and the Frisco part of Denton County which is practically Collin County for all intents and purposes this area is way more attractive than FW.

With Toyota HQ, State Farm, Globe Life, Cowboys HQ, Frisco Rough Riders, FC Dallas, Universal Studios and the PGA HQ soon coming as well as the Byron Nelson now in McKinney all of this brings the demand for this airport to become commercial.
Well, way to compare apples to oranges. Tarrant County has a population of 2.2 million, so my argument still stands.
powerbelly
AG
fc2112 said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

fc2112 said:

Well, way to compare apples to oranges. Tarrant County has a population of 2.2 million, so my argument still stands.

A dishonest post from LDP. No way.
nortex97
AG
Tarrant county also has Alliance airport up the road, which has been a very productive/growing place for business/cargo traffic (agreements restrict it from doing passenger flights commercially I think as a competitor to DFW).

I think more transportation infrastructure north of town, especially that which might over time contribute to decreasing road congestion with various types of vertical lift/personal transport makes sense. Plano was even looking at some sort of gondola system which sounds crazy to me but whatever. Ultimately his point is right that Collin/Eastern Denton counties will be bigger (and have more wealth/population) than Fort Worth proper.

Way back in the day DFW airport was criticized as wholly impractical as it was just too far out in the middle of no where and carriers/passengers wouldn't use it. Times change.
Im Gipper
Results??

I'm Gipper

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.