Dallas/Ft Worth Area 3rd Airport

15,463 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FriendlyAg
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kellso said:

BassCowboy33 said:

This is shocking to me. The people I have spoken to in the region were really excited about this, public officials and private citizens alike.

The only thing I can find on this is that some residents were complaining it would bring too many people and unwanted noise to the area, which are terrible reasons to halt economic growth. There could very well be other reasons as well.
American Airlines was never going to support a 3rd Airport in McKinney when they are about to sink a ton of $$$$ to Build Terminal F.
American Airlines and Southwest Airlines run things around these parts.

There are only 1.1 Million People in Collin County compared to 3.2 Million in Orange County.
Collin County doesn't really have the population to support its own airport....not with DFW and Love Field right there.

Quote:

DFW International Airport and American Airlines have come to a deal for $4.8 billion in expansions, including $1.6 billion for a new terminal that would include 15 new gates.

It would restart work delayed when the COVID-19 pandemic upended the airline industry and added uncertainty to the growth of the airport and the entire air travel industry. But travel demand has come back strong, giving the airport and primary tenant American Airlines the confidence to expand again.

The new Terminal F would expand the airport's existing 168 gates and give room to grow up to 100 million passengers in the next six or seven years, airport CEO Sean Donohue said while announcing the project Tuesday morning.
"It creates the framework of how we share the economic benefits of the airport with our airline partners," Donohue said.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2023/05/16/dfw-airport-restarting-work-on-pandemic-delayed-sixth-terminal/

So, it seems.
AggieUSMC
AG
Wouldn't this be the 4th with DFW, Love Field, and Meacham being the existing 3?
FTAG 2000
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

This is shocking to me. The people I have spoken to in the region were really excited about this, public officials and private citizens alike.

The only thing I can find on this is that some residents were complaining it would bring too many people and unwanted noise to the area, which are terrible reasons to halt economic growth. There could very well be other reasons as well.
Because you have a bunch of NIMBY transplants that moved into the area.

If they were voting to put it in north Frisco, Prosper, or somewhere else along 380 it probably would have passed.
GAC06
AG
AggieUSMC said:

Wouldn't this be the 4th with DFW, Love Field, and Meacham being the existing 3?

Charters and GA only at Meachum
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
BoDog said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

We changed our mind because there has not been anything from any airline saying that yes we will be flying there all just a big wait-and-see approach which I did not like
Bro, thats exactly how development work. If you build it, they will come.
Damn straight. Just look at Mirabel airport in Montreal if you want to see the blueprint for success using this model.
Kellso
AggieUSMC said:

There are no commercial flights out of Meachem.

American Airlines is Ft Worth's largest corporation. AA will never support FT Worth having its own airport that is not a part of DFW.

This is also why I was skeptical of the McKinney ever getting an airport. The Collin County population would have to hit at least 2.5 Million for a commercial airport to be a real viability.

Dallas and Collin Country are at least another 20-30 years from that sort of growth, and by then it will probably be easier to take a train to Houston, San Antonio or Austin rather than fly or drive.
Greener Acres
AG
Quote:

LegalDrugPusher
4:55p, 4/18/23

On May 6 McKinney residents will vote to approve or disapprove a $200 million bond to create the metroplexes 3rd commercial airport.

I live in McKinney and I will be voting Yes and it seems like the airport bind will pass.

The Collin County region is fast growing and the fastest growing County in America with so much business and entertainment in this county alone or at the very least in far east Denton County the Frisco side the demand for another commercial airport is overdue.

The terminal will initially have 4 gates and I hear 2 airlines will serve McKinney National supposedly American and Delta with destinations yet to be determined. If Delta is one of the carriers Atlanta will for sure be a destination. Chicago, LA, Houston and New York are possible other cities.

The airport will attract passengers well beyond Collin County such as Southern Oklahoma, East Texas such as Paris and the Sherman/Denison area which will be much more convenient for potential passengers than driving all the way to DFW or Love Field.
Quote:

LegalDrugPusher
In reply to Im Gipper 5:32p, 5/8/23

The bond failed.

My wife and I changed our minds about the airport 2 weeks ago and decided to vote NO.
Quote:

LegalDrugPusher
In reply to cslifer 8:52a, 4/19/23

Quote:

cslifer said:
Have any airlines actually committed or is this a "I heard from a good source" type thing? As previous posters have said, building and hoping they show up has historically turned out terribly for airports (especially smaller ones).

According to McKinney Mayor George Fuller there has. He and I have had our fair share of rounds with each other about other issues but I'm not going to be against this just because of our past.

Fuller is a very popular mayor. When he gets behind something the city (voters) will do it.

Quote:

LegalDrugPusher
In reply to Im Gipper 5:32p, 5/8/23

The bond failed.

My wife and I changed our minds about the airport 2 weeks ago and decided to vote NO.
Quote:

LegalDrugPusher
10:49a, 5/9/23

We changed our mind because there has not been anything from any airline saying that yes we will be flying there all just a big wait-and-see approach which I did not like

LDP - you take a lot of heat on here for your posts and this stuff has got to grind the gears of those in Collin County. You are a prominent political voice. So when you come and make a strong political statement it may carry weight. You continued to support it for two full days (4/18 - 4/19), then went silent until the monday after the election. At no point was there an update that you were concerned about the viability of this airport. In fact, many people who may support and follow you, probably voted for this item while you sheepishly changed your mind. Were you afraid of backtracking in a public way that would cause you to lose connections to the Mayor?

I personally think the need for another airport up there is probably a good long term decision although I'd push it further north to avoid current development, get infrastructure in cheaper and serve the very fast growing area of Sherman as well. I would not look forward to major carriers like AA does when they make your connection from a different airport like in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, JFK/EWR/LGA, and others.
Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

American Airlines is Ft Worth's largest corporation. AA will never support FT Worth having its own airport that is not a part of DFW.

This is also why I was skeptical of the McKinney ever getting an airport. The Collin County population would have to hit at least 2.5 Million for a commercial airport to be a real viability.

Dallas and Collin Country are at least another 20-30 years from that sort of growth, and by then it will probably be easier to take a train to Houston, San Antonio or Austin rather than fly or drive.
The pipe dream of this train will still be there in your mind in 20-30 years...
Kellso
Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

When there is train that connects Dallas, Houston and Austin then there won't be any need for an airport in McKinney, TX.

Driving or flying to Houston from Dallas will be obsolete with the completion of a train connecting these cities.

Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

When there is train that connects Dallas, Houston and Austin then there won't be any need for an airport in McKinney, TX.

Driving or flying to Houston from Dallas will be obsolete with the completion of a train connecting these cities.

The same reason there's a need for a McKinney train will exist...

McKinney will still be good distance from Dallas...
BMX Bandit
Quote:

They almost done building that? What's the status?
IndividualFreedom
The 501P concrete alone will be $200,000.
Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

What is the fascination that you and others on the left have with TRAINS in the 21st century?
dead
AG

trains are cool
fc2112
fc2112 said:

EX TEXASEX said:

To park so close to the terminal entrance and to walk right in and pick up somebody, or to leave on a trip is the closest thing to Heaven on Earth !!!!!

Looks like McKinney recognized a monorail when they saw it.
barbacoa taco
AG

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

What is the fascination that you and others on the left have with TRAINS in the 21st century?

High speed rail service is a great investment. It's an efficient method of transportation which is why they are so common in Europe, and china has heavily invested in them. They offer a lot of benefits over flying. They are generally easier (no traveling to and from far away airports as stations are often in city centers, train station are simpler and easier to navigate than airports), more comfortable, more environmentally friendly, more convenient for business travel, and much less stressful than driving. Driving between Houston and Dallas sucks.

My question to you is why are people so opposed to this? Costs? Eminent domain? Rail travel in the US sucks outside of the northeast and we can make it a legitimate means of transportation if we invest in it. We are too dependent on cars anyway and flying between cities in Texas just is not worth it most of the time.
Ag with kids
AG
barbacoa taco said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

High speed rail service is a great investment. It's an efficient method of transportation which is why they are so common in Europe, and china has heavily invested in them. They offer a lot of benefits over flying. They are generally easier (no traveling to and from far away airports as stations are often in city centers, train station are simpler and easier to navigate than airports), more comfortable, more environmentally friendly, more convenient for business travel, and much less stressful than driving. Driving between Houston and Dallas sucks.

My question to you is why are people so opposed to this? Costs? Eminent domain? Rail travel in the US sucks outside of the northeast and we can make it a legitimate means of transportation if we invest in it. We are too dependent on cars anyway and flying between cities in Texas just is not worth it most of the time.
HSR is a huge boondoggle in the US. CA is finding this out right now. In 2008, they approved $33B for the short line they wanted to build. That cost is now $128B.

As to locations, that's only good if you're going to the city center. One million people live in Dallas. The other seven million in DFW don't...what's the difference between having to drive to downtown Dallas (with ZERO parking) and DFW (with ACRES of parking)...I mean, besides the parking...

And RIGHT NOW the stations are simpler and easier to navigate. Prior to 9/11, airports weren't that bad...one ******* taking out a HSR train and you'll get the same overreaction to security in the train stations.

And yes, cost and eminent domain are 2 huge reasons to oppose HSR. HSR is way to expensive to be so specialized. Dallas to Brazos Valley to Houston. So, everyone in between can **** off. Welp, looks like we still need I-45 and cars for those several million people.

And a plane from IAH can fly to pretty much ANYWHERE in the world. That HSR? It's going to Dallas.
Kellso
Ag with kids said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

HSR is a huge boondoggle in the US. CA is finding this out right now. In 2008, they approved $33B for the short line they wanted to build. That cost is now $128B.

As to locations, that's only good if you're going to the city center. One million people live in Dallas. The other seven million in DFW don't...what's the difference between having to drive to downtown Dallas (with ZERO parking) and DFW (with ACRES of parking)...I mean, besides the parking...

And RIGHT NOW the stations are simpler and easier to navigate. Prior to 9/11, airports weren't that bad...one ******* taking out a HSR train and you'll get the same overreaction to security in the train stations.

And yes, cost and eminent domain are 2 huge reasons to oppose HSR. HSR is way to expensive to be so specialized. Dallas to Brazos Valley to Houston. So, everyone in between can **** off. Welp, looks like we still need I-45 and cars for those several million people.

And a plane from IAH can fly to pretty much ANYWHERE in the world. That HSR? It's going to Dallas.
High speed is not a right or left issue.....its just an issue of common sense.
The train is going to happen. There is too much money involved for it not to happen.

You want to give your residents the option to move from city to city without having to use a car.
If not....your city ends up becoming a nightmare like Los Angeles or Houston. Car dependent hell holes with horrible traffic, pollution and crime.

Kellso
Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

The same reason there's a need for a McKinney train will exist...

McKinney will still be good distance from Dallas...
McKinney is not that important of a city.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

Very fake news

Quote:

The train is going to happen. There is too much money involved for it not to happen

So what's the status of the Texas HSR? Should be just about done. It's been a decade.
Sq 17
IMO. HSR is a terrible idea and a grift that a few people will make a lot of money off of

Which is why it keeps coming back every 15 years
fc2112
Kellso said:

The train is going to happen. There is too much money involved for it not to happen.
Well, that private money is more than welcome to get together and build itself a happy little railroad. They can then make bank off their system.
Kellso
fc2112 said:

Kellso said:

Well, that private money is more than welcome to get together and build itself a happy little railroad. They can then make bank off their system.
This is the scenario that is most likely to happen.
Keep the feds out and have private developers do all the work, and collect the bulk of the profit.

The key to look at is if the private companies will work with the State (Texas) or the United States (Fed) in implementing this project.
This is where the game of who has the best lobbyist really starts to make a difference in who gets funding and extra pork for their projects.
nortex97
AG
Ag with kids said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

Correct. And if it were such a great investment some of the leftist Uber billionaire commies like Warren Buffet/Facebook/Soros guys etc. would be piling cash into it I'd think.

Weirdly, that's not happening.
Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

barbacoa taco said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

As long as there's not public money, I don't have much problem...Go ahead and spend YOUR hundreds of billions of dollars, not mine.

Except...there's all the eminent domain they're planning on...why is it that these things that are SOOOO popular always need the government to force others to accept them???

Perhaps it's because the companies are planning on the state having to bail them out so that in the end, the taxpayers will get to foot the bill.

Quote:

You want to give your residents the option to move from city to city without having to use a car.
If not....your city ends up becoming a nightmare like Los Angeles or Houston. Car dependent hell holes with horrible traffic, pollution and crime.
Ummmm....they have that. It's called airplanes. And an airport is not PHYSICALLY connected to another city. So, if I want Flight 1269 to fly IAH-DFW today, I could change that to IAH-MCO tomorrow...

Your train station? Thing is still going to Dallas tomorrow...of course, now those people need a car (oops), because downtown Dallas is not anywhere near where the vast majority of DFW residents live...Hell, Houston has the same spread out issue. You've got to get from the station to where you're finally arriving.
Kellso
LegalDrugPusher said:

On May 6 McKinney residents will vote to approve or disapprove a $200 million bond to create the metroplexes 3rd commercial airport.

I live in McKinney and I will be voting Yes and it seems like the airport bind will pass.

The Collin County region is fast growing and the fastest growing County in America with so much business and entertainment in this county alone or at the very least in far east Denton County the Frisco side the demand for another commercial airport is overdue.

The terminal will initially have 4 gates and I hear 2 airlines will serve McKinney National supposedly American and Delta with destinations yet to be determined. If Delta is one of the carriers Atlanta will for sure be a destination. Chicago, LA, Houston and New York are possible other cities.

The airport will attract passengers well beyond Collin County such as Southern Oklahoma, East Texas such as Paris and the Sherman/Denison area which will be much more convenient for potential passengers than driving all the way to DFW or Love Field.

Here are some renderings of what this airport will look like.

Going back and reading the original post got me thinking....how many people from these communities are flying every day to these major cities?

Is there really a need for citizens of Sherman, Dennison, and Eastern Collin County to have its own airport when there are already two airports in the city?

Both of which specialize in direct flights to almost anywhere in the United States.
Ag with kids
AG
Kellso said:

LegalDrugPusher said:

Here are some renderings of what this airport will look like.

Going back and reading the original post got me thinking....how many people from these communities are flying every day to these major cities?

Is there really a need for citizens of Sherman, Dennison, and Eastern Collin County to have its own airport when there are already two airports in the city?

Both of which specialize in direct flights to almost anywhere in the United States.

There are daily flights from DFW to both Tyler and Victoria, FWIW. Been on both of them.
Greener Acres
AG
Quote:

Correct. And if it were such a great investment some of the leftist Uber billionaire commies like Warren Buffet/Facebook/Soros guys etc. would be piling cash into it I'd think.

The proposed line from Dallas-Houston is being pushed and funded by Texas Central with private funding. I believe the state passed a law prohibiting public funding for this.

Quote:

Except...there's all the eminent domain they're planning on...why is it that these things that are SOOOO popular always need the government to force others to accept them???
Not a fan of the wide-spread use of eminent domain, but this is a tough way to oppose its use. I find electricity and water to be really popular in my house and neighborhood. The giant transmission lines, lakes, water infrastructure etc, are all brining those resources to my house via eminent domain. The government doesn't "help" some unknown "them" get these things. Citizens use and need resources like these and their representatives in government help facilitate that.

There is long been a recognition that certain services are necessary for the movement of goods and people. Transit has always been a recipient of eminent domain - including airports.
TexasAggiesWin
S
"Driving or flying to Houston from Dallas will be obsolete with the completion of a train connecting these cities."

There are still numerous daily flights throughout the world between cities which are connected by HSR = i.e., London-Paris = 290 miles, Paris-Brussels = 195 miles , Tokyo-Osaka = 247 miles, that are fairly close in distance that Dallas is to Houston (240 miles). I also imagine that there remains numerous people in cars making these trips daily as well.

Driving and flying certainly has not become obsolete between these cities, so what would make it different this time?
GAC06
AG
Quote:

The proposed line from Dallas-Houston is being pushed and funded by Texas Central with private funding. I believe the state passed a law prohibiting public funding for this.

And how's that going?
Ag with kids
AG
Greener Acres said:

Quote:

Quote:

Not a fan of the wide-spread use of eminent domain, but this is a tough way to oppose its use. I find electricity and water to be really popular in my house and neighborhood. The giant transmission lines, lakes, water infrastructure etc, are all brining those resources to my house via eminent domain. The government doesn't "help" some unknown "them" get these things. Citizens use and need resources like these and their representatives in government help facilitate that.

There is long been a recognition that certain services are necessary for the movement of goods and people. Transit has always been a recipient of eminent domain - including airports.
This is supposed to be a PRIVATE VENTURE as you stated above.

And now, you're making it a PUBLIC venture by employing eminent domain for PRIVATE company to profit from.

Ag with kids
AG
TexasAggiesWin said:

"Driving or flying to Houston from Dallas will be obsolete with the completion of a train connecting these cities."

There are still numerous daily flights throughout the world between cities which are connected by HSR = i.e., London-Paris = 290 miles, Paris-Brussels = 195 miles , Tokyo-Osaka = 247 miles, that are fairly close in distance that Dallas is to Houston (240 miles). I also imagine that there remains numerous people in cars making these trips daily as well.

Driving and flying certainly has not become obsolete between these cities, so what would make it different this time?
Hell, they built the CHUNNEL for cars to go between those 2 cities...
powerbelly
AG
Kellso said:

Ag with kids said:

Kellso said:

AggieUSMC said:

That boondoggle is a ****ing disaster and will never replace air travel for many people.
Jbob04
AG
lol at anyone thinking the bullet train will ever be built
P.U.T.U
AG
Even if they signed the papers today a train wouldn't be functional for 10-20 years. So much red tape for a project like that today and remember most land owners where it would run are fighting it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.